Official Chinese GP Qualifying Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
ynot22

Re: Official Chinese GP Qualifying Thread

Post by ynot22 »

schumi8 wrote:
SteveC84 wrote:
ynot22 wrote:Have to say I like this new less cocky Hamilton much better. I think he grew up a bit last year.

:thumbup: :nod:

Hamilton us unbelievably mature these days. If he could carry himself like this at such a young age I am sure he is going to be the greatest F1 driver in history soon.

Wow thats a bit of a stretch, but whatever.

cmax

Post by cmax »

The qualis this season are just incredible.
Will be interesting to see what happens near the
midfield at the start.
7. Lewis
8. Perez
9. Alonso
10.Grosjean
11.Vettel

mastergee

Post by mastergee »

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:So Vettel out and Rosberg on pole. a surprising session to say the least.

Show me the finger!!! :lol:
KIMI, KOBAYASHI, SCHUMI!!!

V12

Post by V12 »

ESWF1 wrote:Alonso outqualified by both Saubers. Unbelievable.

Yep. The Saubers have been dominating Ferrari all weekend. I'm surprised Alonso managed to get into Q3

V12

Post by V12 »

Juggles wrote:
Sammydj wrote:
mnmracer wrote:
Schumacher: What was Nico's time?
Engineer: 1:35.1
Schumacher: wow...

He said OK, not wow. Don't just make stuff up.

He said "well done"

:lol: It appears we all heard different things. I thought he says "ok.. my bad", though that's probably not the case.

JB2012

Post by JB2012 »

Jenson you are the most frustrating driver to support!

mnmracer

Post by mnmracer »

V12 wrote:
Juggles wrote:
Sammydj wrote:
mnmracer wrote:

He said "well done"

:lol: It appears we all heard different things. I thought he says "ok.. my bad", though that's probably not the case.

It doesn't matter so much his exact words, as the tone in his voice ;)
Arguing semantics: the lowest form of internet discussions.

smoothcrim

Post by smoothcrim »

If it wasnt for the track temp drop Webber could have been on the front row or P3 which is encouraging for RBR.

If Vettel is 3/10 slower with the old configuration thwat he likes how much slower would he of been with the new config?

Vettel cant get the back end to stick under braking which is exactly what the off throttle diffuser did for him the last 2 years.

dukieboy

Post by dukieboy »

mnmracer wrote:
V12 wrote:
Juggles wrote:
Sammydj wrote:
mnmracer wrote:

He said "well done"

It doesn't matter so much his exact words, as the tone in his voice ;)

actually he said, "ok .. not bad" ... which brundle had a interesting comment :)
When in doubt, press F1

irietuning

Post by irietuning »

Uncle Pedro in the HRT did a 1:40.411

Does anyone agree with me in my crazy logic that the HRT might be closer to the midfield that they are currently showing. I am under the impression that pedro is a good development driver, but not that quick in quali/race. There might be another couple seconds in it

Clouseau

Post by Clouseau »

dukieboy wrote:actually he said, "ok .. not bad" ... which brundle had a interesting comment :)

I'm pretty sure he says "oh...well done".

What comment did Brundle have?

minchy

Post by minchy »

ATM2 wrote:Damn, I missed it. Curse these Romanian cable operators and my work TV.
How come Button ended up only 6th ? (well, 5th...). Did he make a mistake or...?

didn't see his lap but he was on a set of used tyres I think. He had a better Q2 time.

On the plus side, with some cars with slower race pace on the front 2 rows and button and Hamilton both great overtakers it should be a good race tomorrow.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.

hotbmw

Post by hotbmw »

Guys can we please compile a list of who has 1 set of fresh softs spare?

I know so far:

- Rosberg
- Webber
- Vettel

Anyone else from the top 12?

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

hotbmw wrote:Guys can we please compile a list of who has 1 set of fresh softs spare?

I know so far:

- Rosberg
- Webber
- Vettel

Anyone else from the top 12?

What did Alonso do?
I missed part of Q2 due to untimely phone call. But He went on Hards in Q1, then on Softs. Then did 1 run in Q2 on used Softs and he probably used new set again for 2nd run (I missed the second run in Q2).
And from the looks of it, he used used set again in Q3. So he might have 1 set left.

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

V12 wrote:
Juggles wrote:
Sammydj wrote:
mnmracer wrote:

He said "well done"

http://en.espnf1.com/china/motorsport/story/75703.html

straight from the horse's mouth.

Schumacher said: "I said well done because that was a phenomenal lap. For all of us to see the gap that big is a bit of a surprise. But he is known as a good qualifier and there is no reason to be unhappy, the opposite [is true]. I'm happy for him, his first pole, congratulations. We now know that it will be the first front row of proper Mercedes - Silver Arrows - and that it's going to take place in the Chinese Grand Prix tomorrow."

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

funkymonkey wrote:
V12 wrote:
Juggles wrote:
Sammydj wrote:
mnmracer wrote:

He said "well done"

http://en.espnf1.com/china/motorsport/story/75703.html

straight from the horse's mouth.

Schumacher said: "I said well done because that was a phenomenal lap. For all of us to see the gap that big is a bit of a surprise. But he is known as a good qualifier and there is no reason to be unhappy, the opposite [is true]. I'm happy for him, his first pole, congratulations. We now know that it will be the first front row of proper Mercedes - Silver Arrows - and that it's going to take place in the Chinese Grand Prix tomorrow."

According to GPUpdate he said "Not bad" :lol:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2771 ... race-pace/

avionion

Post by avionion »

Actually, i heard on team radio and his words were: "not bad".

schumi8

Post by schumi8 »

avionion wrote:Actually, i heard on team radio and his words were: "not bad".

Typical Schumacher ;) but we gotta agree Schumi that was a blinder.

Clouseau

Post by Clouseau »

avionion wrote:Actually, i heard on team radio and his words were: "not bad".

It's on the tube and he says "oh...well done"

Formula1Fan.

Post by Formula1Fan. »

Well this is an interesting turn of events.

Well done Kamui Koybayashi! I hope he makes it count in the race, I want to see him at one of the big teams for at least one season before he retires.

Webber 3-0 over Vettel in qualifying. Possibly time for all those who thought Vettel was a miles better qualifier on the strength of last year to eat a little humble pie (Hakkattack, Aduka etc :) ).
We want heroes, but there are few, mainly it's cars - Pedro De La Rosa

PacificBeach

Post by PacificBeach »

Formula1Fan. wrote:Well this is an interesting turn of events.

Well done Kamui Koybayashi! I hope he makes it count in the race, I want to see him at one of the big teams for at least one season before he retires.

Webber 3-0 over Vettel in qualifying. Possibly time for all those who thought Vettel was a miles better qualifier on the strength of last year to eat a little humble pie (Hakkattack, Aduka etc :) ).

Not last year but all three years they have been teammates...
2009: 15-2
2010: 12-7
2011: 16-3

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Saubers are very fast 8O

Vettel 8O

And Rosberg finally took pole 8)
eeee

Alex777

Post by Alex777 »

Qualifying in pictures - http://www.formula1onlive.com/2012/04/l ... fying.html

I think he is the best performer of the day

New front runners (without Hami)

w1Y!

Post by w1Y! »

So let me get this straight. When the car is harder to driver mark and pretty much everyone else outperforms sen and he turns into a stroppy teenager. Shame I much preferred his sense of humour when he was winning. I see a train tomorrow which vettel and Alonsi and ham will take advantage of. Ham needs to get passed button because button is really struggling and may also hold up people behind him

Formula1Fan.

Post by Formula1Fan. »

PacificBeach wrote:Not last year but all three years they have been teammates...
2009: 15-2
2010: 12-7
2011: 16-3

Fair point PB, will be interesting to see how long Webber can sustain his 2012 qualifying whitewash of the double-world champion.
We want heroes, but there are few, mainly it's cars - Pedro De La Rosa

IngenGrenser

Post by IngenGrenser »

w1Y! wrote:When the car is harder to driver...[Seb] turns into a stroppy teenager

Why do people keep saying this, despite Vettel's stated outlook consistently being 'heads down, work hard, we can turn this around'?

Walking around without a smile on your face is not the same as stomping your feet and whinging like a baby. What do you expect from him? To pull Dick Van Dyke out of his pickle and do a little tap dancing routine? For the life of me I can't understand how Vettel's demeanour on race weekends can be interpreted as anything other than utterly, boringly normal.

Anyway, back to qualifying. I'm excited to see the Mercedes duo locking out the front. As much as I'd love to see them stay up there for as long as possible, I don't think I have enough confidence in that happening to get my hopes up. Hamilton's and Vettel's progress will be interesting to watch, especially when they encounter Raikkonen. Hopefully Grosjean gets a full race done this time as well.

ATM2

Post by ATM2 »

Ham needs to get passed button because button is really struggling and may also hold up people behind him

Hmmm, I don't know, I do believe that there will be slower cars in front of Button in race-pace.
Man, o Man, this season is nice, last year everybody knew that RedBull will drive like rockets and that's it. This year at least we can blab about a lot of possibilities. I like it, I like it :D
Olivier Panis fan.
...and also Jenson Button fan.

mcramsey

Post by mcramsey »

Scorched Soul

Post by Scorched Soul »

IngenGrenser wrote:
w1Y! wrote:When the car is harder to driver...[Seb] turns into a stroppy teenager

Why do people keep saying this, despite Vettel's stated outlook consistently being 'heads down, work hard, we can turn this around'?

Walking around without a smile on your face is not the same as stomping your feet and whinging like a baby. What do you expect from him? To pull Dick Van Dyke out of his pickle and do a little tap dancing routine? For the life of me I can't understand how Vettel's demeanour on race weekends can be interpreted as anything other than utterly, boringly normal.

Anyway, back to qualifying. I'm excited to see the Mercedes duo locking out the front. As much as I'd love to see them stay up there for as long as possible, I don't think I have enough confidence in that happening to get my hopes up. Hamilton's and Vettel's progress will be interesting to watch, especially when they encounter Raikkonen. Hopefully Grosjean gets a full race done this time as well.

Completely agree mate, everyone is so hard on Vettel due to the events following Turkey - I think it all stems from the gesture he made after the crash, that was the one truly immature moment that made me lose a little respect for him, but besides that, I can't really fault his behaviour and in fact think he has acted quite professionally.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

mcramsey wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

Dude... why the same irrelevant picture of Kimi in so many different threads?

hk77

Post by hk77 »

Judging from the quali results, looks to me that Kimi is the favorite .
I hope that merc amg can at least finish one car on the podium. Kobayashi also looks menacing from where he is starting.
On the other hand the midfield ought to be the most entertaining to watch.
Then again the start could change all speculations. I just hope it rains.

johnp

Post by johnp »

looks like the new anchor Ferrari brought to China is doing the job, poor Alonso is stuck with another 4 wheel pig

w1Y!

Post by w1Y! »

IngenGrenser wrote:

I admire Vettels drive for success but I just think he is very arrogant In his interviews and very dismissive of every question. Not saying he hAs to be happy all the time just that I've seen a massive shift in his personality.

I also like how you blended what I said. I actually said when the cars are harder to drive that he gets outperformed. Take alonso for instance. He has a dog of a car but can still do well.

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

IngenGrenser wrote:

I don't think anyone is suggesting a tap dance routine.

But waving his fists at folk in free practice who dareto be on track in front of him isn't helping his rep.

Maybe he thinks Marko can get everyone fired from other teams ;)
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

Scorched Soul

Post by Scorched Soul »

Johnston wrote:
IngenGrenser wrote:

I don't think anyone is suggesting a tap dance routine.

But waving his fists at folk in free practice who dareto be on track in front of him isn't helping his rep.

Maybe he thinks Marko can get everyone fired from other teams ;)

Why are we judging drivers based on in car reactions??? Seriously,it's such a meaningless thing to choose to try and judge someone from. Who cares if he waved his hand at Narain, he has every right to feel p!ssed off and display the anger if he wants. Who cares if it's only free practice, he can be annoyed if he wants, why are we starting to try police the way drivers interact with each other??

Why do we keep demanding that all drvers show zero emotion? How can you expect someone to be so driven and motivated but still be ok with failure or mistakes??

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

It's not about Zero emotion. It's about looking like an arrogant sugarplum.

The NK thing on track I get, the after race remarks not as much but I can see it but the majority of the times people will apoligise.

Getting tiddled off at someone in FP, someone who has no obligation to move over, wasn't chopping, blocking or doing anything untoward. That just smacks of arrogance.

AND remember I don't think it was the first time. He did it at a Torro Rosso last year. Now we know they have a special relationship and everyone expects them to roll over let out the red carpet and beg for a bone. But a genuine competitor well thats just being twatish IMO.

Scorched Soul

Post by Scorched Soul »

Johnston wrote:It's not about Zero emotion. It's about looking like an arrogant sugarplum.

The NK thing on track I get, the after race remarks not as much but I can see it but the majority of the times people will apoligise.

Getting tiddled off at someone in FP, someone who has no obligation to move over, wasn't chopping, blocking or doing anything untoward. That just smacks of arrogance.

AND remember I don't think it was the first time. He did it at a Torro Rosso last year. Now we know they have a special relationship and everyone expects them to roll over let out the red carpet and beg for a bone. But a genuine competitor well thats just being twatish IMO.

Why would he apologise to Narain? He called him out on his driving, what is there to be sorry for?

He is also allowed to get p!ssed of if he wants in the heat of the moment, it doesnt necessarily smack of arrogance, he's just annoyed that he got cut off (I need to see this clip). I bet half the drivers are cursing under their breath, just because u cant see it doesnt mean they think it.

GASP! He waved his hand before, really? So what! It's normal! We as fans shouldnt start judging drivers based on their interactions with each other, it's a little strange to be honest. Do you think Grosjean honestly gives a damn?? Why should anyone???

What are you talking about, red carpets and begging for a bone, are you honestly telling me that Vettel and Red Bull havent earnt everything they've won?

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

He didn't get cut off thats the thing. Grosjean simply took a different and legitimate line into the series of corners.

For some reason Vettel felt offended by that.

Are you suggesting that one driver getting annoyed at another just for simply being on track at the same time during FP is acceptable behavior?

Scorched Soul

Post by Scorched Soul »

Johnston wrote:He didn't get cut off thats the thing. Grosjean simply took a different and legitimate line into the series of corners.

I know, when I say cut-off its only because Im not sure what else to say, I need to see the clip I guess. But my point is that it doesnt matter, so what if Vettel made a gesture, its harmless. All the drivers display this quality, it's because they are all so focused on their own success that it completely messes them up when there is external interference that they werent expecting.

Scorched Soul

Post by Scorched Soul »

Johnston wrote:He didn't get cut off thats the thing. Grosjean simply took a different and legitimate line into the series of corners.

Are you suggesting that one driver getting annoyed at another just for simply being on track at the same time during FP is acceptable behavior?

To be honest, I don't really think it as important as you're trying to make out. I'm sure he was annoyed for a reason, maybe he misjudged something. How do you that all the drivers arent swearing under their breah 50 times a lap????

I dont think he's behaving unacceptably, the odd hand gesture is such a non event. He didn't say anything to Grosjean or complain or anything, Im struggling to see what's unacceptable about having some emotion.