Mclaren pit stops

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
hundleton1

Mclaren pit stops

Post by hundleton1 »

I thought Mclaren gave pit prority to the leading car however today's race Jenson was give first pit every time,

So much for fair policy

PzR Slim

Re: Mclaren pit stops

Post by PzR Slim »

They were shocking today. Pitted Hamilton one lap late on both occasions and just did a bad job during the stops.
If...

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Think you may have jumped the gun here.

Wait at least for official comments from Macca over the stops. Perhaps LH was given the choice and wanted to run one more lap.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

tmzxaar

Post by tmzxaar »

yeah they ruined 2 pit stops for Hamilton
H&H

phyz

Post by phyz »

I think Jenson chose to come in first. Had Lewis wanted to come in at the same time, they'd have given him priority.

However, McLaren were absolutely terrible on the pitwall. It was pretty obvious that they had to bring in Hamilton the first time a lap before they did. And then, when they went from wets to dries, they made the same mistake as Sauber. Although their pace on inters was the ultimate problem, pit calls like this are unacceptable in a team that's trying to win the championship. And to top it off, they had trouble on both stops with Hamilton

H-Holloway

Post by H-Holloway »

hundleton1 wrote:I thought Mclaren gave pit prority to the leading car however today's race Jenson was give first pit every time,

So much for fair policy

Ever thought Lewis wanted to stay out?
Jenson Button
Kimi Raikkonen
Romain Grosjean
Nico Hulkenburg

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

tmzxaar wrote:yeah they ruined 2 pit stops for Hamilton

McLaren was poor today, super slow pit stops, suboptimal strategy
“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” ― Albert Einstein

phazblade

Post by phazblade »

For me, Lewis didn't want to come in, so Jensen had the choice to come in one earier, one later, or be stacked behind Lewis.

He chose earlier.

But an average day from the Wall for me ........ too many of these
I'm not slowing down for Nico ........

GAZ811

Post by GAZ811 »

No one at Mclaren has the balls to think outside the box (apart from maybe button).They always seems to follow what other teams do.Should have had lewis on the slicks 2 laps earlier.Reminded me of the time in 2007 when they left him out on bald tyres and he crashed in the pitlane.

SilverPower

Post by SilverPower »

phyz wrote:I think Jenson chose to come in first. Had Lewis wanted to come in at the same time, they'd have given him priority.

However, McLaren were absolutely terrible on the pitwall. It was pretty obvious that they had to bring in Hamilton the first time a lap before they did. And then, when they went from wets to dries, they made the same mistake as Sauber. Although their pace on inters was the ultimate problem, pit calls like this are unacceptable in a team that's trying to win the championship. And to top it off, they had trouble on both stops with Hamilton

Yeah, that extra lap before the last pitstop dropped Hamilton into the clutches of Vettel, and Hami was lucky Vettel got a tyre puncture passing a backmarker. That was a clumsy pass from Vettel.

davidb23

Post by davidb23 »

Well, they were conservative with the strategy because they know they have to guarantee good points for the championship. Saying that the stops themselves were consistently cocked up and too slow.

F1zen

Post by F1zen »

McLaren has been making poor strategy decisions and slow pitstops for years now. Years.

Jomox

Post by Jomox »

Seemed they favored Jenson a bit even though he was 2nd, you can tell Hamiltons getting frustrated at McLaren. (Though was Hamiltons fault for his slow pitstop 1st one )

SilverPower

Post by SilverPower »

Jomox wrote:Seemed they favored Jenson a bit even though he was 2nd, you can tell Hamiltons getting frustrated at McLaren. (Though was Hamiltons fault for his slow pitstop 1st one )

How was the slow pitstop Hamilton's fault? They had a problem with something at the back end. Somehow most of Mclaren's screwups happens with Lewis's pitstops, a conspiracy theorist could have a field day with that.

lunatic

Post by lunatic »

SilverPower wrote:
Jomox wrote:Seemed they favored Jenson a bit even though he was 2nd, you can tell Hamiltons getting frustrated at McLaren. (Though was Hamiltons fault for his slow pitstop 1st one )

How was the slow pitstop Hamilton's fault? They had a problem with something at the back end. Somehow most of Mclaren's screwups happens with Lewis's pitstops, a conspiracy theorist could have a field day with that.
Because Hamilton overshot his box, error on both parts on 1 stop and a pit balls up on the other.
ImageImageImage

Hoolihan

Post by Hoolihan »

Button should go for Hards ten laps b4 he did. That would sort him out imo.

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

lunatic wrote:
SilverPower wrote:

Because Hamilton overshot his box, error on both parts on 1 stop and a pit balls up on the other.

He overshot by a little bit but how does that cause the rear jack man to take three attempts to jack the rear of the car?
If...

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

they doing all they can to get Button in front, today it backfired
“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” ― Albert Einstein

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

Sabrina wrote:

Don't be so daft. Hamilton hasn't had the luck in the first two races. If he keeps doing what he is doing the wins will come.
If...

lunatic

Post by lunatic »

Sabrina wrote:

(insert facepalm smiley)
ImageImageImage

SilverPower

Post by SilverPower »

lunatic wrote:
SilverPower wrote:

And that is what cost him all that time after the car was dropped? That was what allowed Alonso to jump Hamilton in the pits. So whose fault was what you term as "pit balls up"?

There were errors on both Hamilton's pitstops by the team, that is a fact.

phazblade

Post by phazblade »

PzR Slim wrote:
Sabrina wrote:

Don't be so daft. Hamilton hasn't had the luck in the first two races. If he keeps doing what he is doing the wins will come.

Exactly, as someone once said "Chill out Lewy Baby"

I know it was Phillipe :D but I think the Copyright on that has almost expired .....
I'm not slowing down for Nico ........

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

phazblade wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
Sabrina wrote:

Exactly, as someone once said "Chill out Lewy Baby"

I know it was Phillipe :D but I think the Copyright on that has almost expired .....

He doesn't need to chill. He's doing everything right at the moment just needs a bit of luck and the pit decisions and stops to go a little better and he'll be mounting a challenge.
If...

natydread

Post by natydread »

It plain to see whats going on at McCLaren.....when Button is leading there is a certain energy and agileness to the team consistent nip n tuc,when Its Lewis you definitely feel like the team is racing him....the leave him Lewis on fix strategy and work Button around him.

I also get the feeling that they constantly setting Lewis up to fail in the sense that today for example they tell Lewis everything looks good would he like to pit...Lewis says no ,then they Pit Button ,so they give him a false choice rather than say its the optimum time to pit so pit.....so when he complain they can say it was your choice not to come in......... how many times in the last 2yrs has Lewis been given the chance for the undercut?....I bet you less than 3times while Button does almost every race

There is something seriuosly wrong with Lewis and Mclaren and everyboby knows it

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

SilverPower wrote:
lunatic wrote:
SilverPower wrote:

And that is what cost him all that time after the car was dropped? That was what allowed Alonso to jump Hamilton in the pits. So whose fault was what you term as "pit balls up"?

There were errors on both Hamilton's pitstops by the team, that is a fact.

No that was making sure he got a safe release . What you prefer a drive through for un safe release or a slower pit stop?
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

PzR Slim wrote:
Sabrina wrote:

Exactly. Lewis is actually in phenomenal shape right now in the championship. The only driver ahead of him is Alonso (who probably doesn't have the machinery to sustain a title challenge). Lewis has had terrible luck so far but eventually he will have more straight-forward races and he has clearly shown that he and the MP4-27 have more pace than any other driver/car on the grid right now.

McLaren are clearly still learning about the tires. They were very slow on inters. That much is clear. Both Perez and Kobayashi were lapping quicker than Hamilton and Button at one stage. That might be down to setup but it was a glaring thing to see Lewis unable to reel in the Sauber on inters.

w1Y!

Post by w1Y! »

Mclaren get caught out way to often in the pits. The amount of times ham has lost places due to pit strategy is staggering. Not acceptable IMHO

Raifosa

Post by Raifosa »

Let's hope the 'bad luck' ends soon..
“What does that expression mean, ‘friends with benefits’?
Does he provide her with health insurance?”

spiritone

Post by spiritone »

Last year when maclaren screwed up hamiltons pit stops most people were willing to give them a pass. Finally people are starting to see how bad their strategy is race after race. This isn't something that has just started this year its been going on for awhile. I thought sam micheals was brought in to fix this? Where's the admission by whit that they have a problem. This is a race they could have won with the right calls. He seems to have a comment on everything else.

chinki

Post by chinki »

spiritone wrote:Last year when maclaren screwed up hamiltons pit stops most people were willing to give them a pass. Finally people are starting to see how bad their strategy is race after race. This isn't something that has just started this year its been going on for awhile. I thought sam micheals was brought in to fix this? Where's the admission by whit that they have a problem. This is a race they could have won with the right calls. He seems to have a comment on everything else.

I really think we are long due for MW to be shown the door and get someone in who can cut down on the mistakes. He has made plenty of blunders starting 2009 and today was just one more. How long do the drivers have to suffer before someone at McLaren cal tell MW to pack his bags?

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

chinki wrote:
spiritone wrote:Last year when maclaren screwed up hamiltons pit stops most people were willing to give them a pass. Finally people are starting to see how bad their strategy is race after race. This isn't something that has just started this year its been going on for awhile. I thought sam micheals was brought in to fix this? Where's the admission by whit that they have a problem. This is a race they could have won with the right calls. He seems to have a comment on everything else.

I really think we are long due for MW to be shown the door and get someone in who can cut down on the mistakes. He has made plenty of blunders starting 2009 and today was just one more. How long do the drivers have to suffer before someone at McLaren cal tell MW to pack his bags?

It truly is uncanny the amount of strategic errors on Hamilton's side of the garage over the last few years. I think Lewis needs to really address this with the team because it can end up costing him the championship if it isn't fixed. They always seem to hang him out to dry when it comes time to pit.

chinki

Post by chinki »

sandman1347 wrote:
chinki wrote:

It truly is uncanny the amount of strategic errors on Hamilton's side of the garage over the last few years. I think Lewis needs to really address this with the team because it can end up costing him the championship if it isn't fixed. They always seem to hang him out to dry when it comes time to pit.

Problem is that if you use any more than the word uncanny, then people would call you out as part of a tin foil hat (you get the point) brigade. So yeah let us sit back and see Button get 4 pit calls right whereas Lewis gets 4 wrong (in two races) and let us sit back and enjoy the dummies guide on how to lose P1 in F1 racing (produced and directed by MW) :thumbdown:

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

chinki wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
chinki wrote:

Problem is that if you use any more than the word uncanny, then people would call you out as part of a tin foil hat (you get the point) brigade. So yeah let us sit back and see Button get 4 pit calls right whereas Lewis gets 4 wrong (in two races) and let us sit back and enjoy the dummies guide on how to lose P1 in F1 racing (produced and directed by MW) :thumbdown:

Relax. It's not worth getting so upset over this yet. Let's see how things progress over the next few races instead of jumping to conclusions.

Jomox

Post by Jomox »

They should of put Hamilton on slicks quite a bit earlier also, at least he would of had a chance to fight with Alonso & Perez then. Maybe I'm confused though.

Hannu

Post by Hannu »

hundleton1 wrote:I thought Mclaren gave pit prority to the leading car however today's race Jenson was give first pit every time,

So much for fair policy

lewis didnt want to pit

button did so they let him

pit preferance only applys if they are both on the same stratergy and both want to pit on the same lap

chinki

Post by chinki »

Jomox wrote:They should of put Hamilton on slicks quite a bit earlier also, at least he would of had a chance to fight with Alonso & Perez then. Maybe I'm confused though.

Oh you are not. Lewis and the two ahead of him did a lap 10 seconds faster as soon as they put on the slicks. Imagine if Lewis had come in a lap earlier, he might have even jumped Perez coz Sauber surely were playing slow.

LukasMueller

Post by LukasMueller »

I don't think it was team orders, although they're legal anyway. I think it was reported that Lewis wanted another lap.

But to mention the pit stops, not McLaren's best day in the pits. With the tires, wing, brake tape.
Vettel, Schumacher, Rosberg, Hulkenberg

...not Glock

wickyt

Post by wickyt »

When Lewis first started out in F1 he wasn't afraid to take the risks on strategy and change his tyres early which cost him on a number of occasions. Recently, he (and his side of the garage) seem to have gone to the other end of the spectrum and appear to be scared of making a wrong call.

The first stop wasn't really his fault, he just couldn't get released due to other cars entering the pits. Why oh why he stayed out an extra lap on the inters with Perez when Ricciardo was setting purples on the dry tyre was a big mistake.

That said, he's got two podiums and has stayed out of trouble in both races. The wins will come!

M.Nader -DODZ-

Post by M.Nader -DODZ- »

I think Lewis wanted to stay, and JB thought it would be better to change early. simple as that.

I dont also think the pitstops are to blame for lewis' showing today, JB was faster than him although he was usually stuck behind slower cars ( i was paying close attention to live timing, whenever jenson had a gap he would post some fastest lap but had to slow when reaching others, lewis didnt respond despite being in clear air).

Perez screwed his pitstop and yet was able to close down Alonso despite having around 8 seconds of a gap. When on track Perez, Alonso, Webber, Vettel and Raikonnen seemed faster than Hamilton. To me his performance today was subpar and i think he is really struggling with the perilli rubber while Jenson is relishing it and that could be his flaw this season, i dont think Mclaren are to blame for his performance today.

Maybe his car wasnt rightly setup for today? although i dont think so, i am not sure

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:I think Lewis wanted to stay, and JB thought it would be better to change early. simple as that.

I dont also think the pitstops are to blame for lewis' showing today, JB was faster than him although he was usually stuck behind slower cars ( i was paying close attention to live timing, whenever jenson had a gap he would post some fastest lap but had to slow when reaching others, lewis didnt respond despite being in clear air).

Perez screwed his pitstop and yet was able to close down Alonso despite having around 8 seconds of a gap. When on track Perez, Alonso, Webber, Vettel and Raikonnen seemed faster than Hamilton. To me his performance today was subpar and i think he is really struggling with the perilli rubber while Jenson is relishing it and that could be his flaw this season, i dont think Mclaren are to blame for his performance today.

Maybe his car wasnt rightly setup for today? although i dont think so, i am not sure

What race were you watching? Jenson was not faster than Lewis at all. The only time he went faster was when he did that extra stop because his inters were completely dead so he had fresh tires.

The main thing I took away from this race was that the McLarens were not very fast on the intermediate tires. They seemed quick on full wets and we know they are fast in the dry but they chew through the inters and seem to lack grip on them.