The Official 2012 Malaysia GP Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
WiLL-A

The Official 2012 Malaysia GP Race Thread

Post by WiLL-A »

Dont think this has been done yet so if it already exsists then please delete 8)

WiLL-A

Re: The Official 2012 Malaysia GP Race Thread

Post by WiLL-A »

So just been looking around the net and the current weather forecasts for tomorrow are quite interesting.

The race is scheduled to start 16:00 (local time) and moderate rainfall is expected from 11:00 (2.4mm rainfall), again at 14:00 (4.6mm rainfall), with very light rain at 17:00 (0.5mm rainfall). Basically they are saying that there is a 50% greater chance of rain tomorrow compared with today.

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Wouldnt mind a damp track to start with or maybe a little drizzle towards the end but hopefully no down pours.

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

If it's wet to start with that will help Seb.

If it's damp but dry enough for slicks it will hurt him. If it rains mid way it could hurt him too as depending on strategies the rest go on. They might get longer time on the options.
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

chinki

Post by chinki »

WiLL-A wrote:So just been looking around the net and the current weather forecasts for tomorrow are quite interesting.

The race is scheduled to start 16:00 (local time) and moderate rainfall is expected from 11:00 (2.4mm rainfall), again at 14:00 (4.6mm rainfall), with very light rain at 17:00 (0.5mm rainfall). Basically they are saying that there is a 50% greater chance of rain tomorrow compared with today.

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Wouldnt mind a damp track to start with or maybe a little drizzle towards the end but hopefully no down pours.

Well the rain can only spoil the McLaren party. Pity that the only exciting races we get to see anymore are when it rains irrespective of the track :uhoh:

rewas

Post by rewas »

If it rains Schumi will be right there with Mclarens fighting for the win. So lets hope it rains!
Michael Schumacher

7 Time WDC

RaisinChips

Post by RaisinChips »

I hope to see a wet / mixed weather race as it would be more interesting than cut and dried sunny race.

bailey.

Post by bailey. »

Johnston wrote:If it's wet to start with that will help Seb.

If it's damp but dry enough for slicks it will hurt him. If it rains mid way it could hurt him too as depending on strategies the rest go on. They might get longer time on the options.

Why will it help seb if its wet? surely if its wet wet then they will have a choice weather to start on wets or slicks??? Am i wrong?

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

If it's wet then they will all be on Inters or wets so he won't be on the primes whilst everyone else is on the softer option tyre.

It will also mean they won't be lumbered with the run two compounds rule. SO if he is quicker on the Primes he won't have to do a stint on the options.
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

bailey.

Post by bailey. »

Johnston wrote:If it's wet then they will all be on Inters or wets so he won't be on the primes whilst everyone else is on the softer option tyre.

It will also mean they won't be lumbered with the run two compounds rule. SO if he is quicker on the Primes he won't have to do a stint on the options.

ahhh i got ya, i still think he could have gone a little quicker options, maybe could have leap frogged a couple more places, so it wouldnt have been such a good move to do p3 on primes?

Jay-1.1

Post by Jay-1.1 »

Before the weekend even began they said it will be wet for free practice and qualifying yet both were dry. They said that the race will be wet and... we'll have to wait and see. I've stopped looking at the weather for this race now because it's too unpredictable.

Hoping for rain! but we won't find out until race time.
Supporting:
Jenson Button for the WDC
McLaren for WCC

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

I don't want rain. Rain in Sepang that late in the afternoon would mean it highly likely the race would be stopped, or worse, never even started.

I want a race. So dry weather please.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Schuttelberg

Post by Schuttelberg »

bailey. wrote:
Johnston wrote:If it's wet then they will all be on Inters or wets so he won't be on the primes whilst everyone else is on the softer option tyre.

ahhh i got ya, i still think he could have gone a little quicker options, maybe could have leap frogged a couple more places, so it wouldnt have been such a good move to do p3 on primes?

I think it's the opposite. Seb says that he found the balance better on the primes in Q3 but I don't know if he could have qualified better on the options. If, the track is damp at any point of time, the other front runners do not have to use the primes at all. This will negate any advantage he hoped to have gained on the strategy front as he won't be as quick of the line as people around him, nor will he be as quick as the guys around him in the beginning of the race. For his strategy to work, he needs a full dry race and then he needs to hope that the others suffer from tyre degradation so he can go longer on his first stint and capitalize.

I think RBR outsmarted themselves personally. But, all this means nothing if he wouldn't have qualified better on the options or worse.

My entire argument is obviously based on the fact that the options are quicker than the primes.

Now, Seb, throw all of this out of the window and be leading on Lap1 and make me look like a total idiot.

Frankly, in a dry race, he has no chance of beating the McLarens. I think he'll get Schumacher in the Mercedes for sure though. If it's wet? I'm not even betting against Felipe Massa winning. Oh wait a minute, really?

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion

floydhead

Post by floydhead »

Laura23 wrote:I don't want rain. Rain in Sepang that late in the afternoon would mean it highly likely the race would be stopped, or worse, never even started.

True. The rain seems to be in the form of torrential downpours so it could easily be red flagged then cancelled.
Lots of love,
A McLaren fan

WiLL-A

Post by WiLL-A »

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?acti ... =#forecast

Based on this, im betting on a dampish track for the start at least.

Wouldnt mind that as I think the McLarens and Mercs might suffer a bit to much with tyre deg so that might be helpful to them.

Chocksaway

Post by Chocksaway »

Good point made on James Allen F1 site......

13. Posted By: franed
Date: March 24th, 2012 @ 1:53 pm
Lewis has to put the flat spotted tyres back on, his pole time was set on the lap he knackered the tyres. His last lap on new tyres was slower.
Hopefully the clutch will work with the brain this time, but Schumi will be geared up to pounce and force his way past both McLarens, he may not stay there but the damage will be done.
Good commentary this morning James, together with F1 live timing makes the lack of picture bearable.

[Reply]

James Allen Reply:
March 24th, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thanks; it’s true. That F1 timing app is a revelation this year, especially with the tyres everyone is using. Makes commentating a lot easier.

[Reply]

Jay-1.1

Post by Jay-1.1 »

Laura23 wrote:I don't want rain. Rain in Sepang that late in the afternoon would mean it highly likely the race would be stopped, or worse, never even started.

That isn't always the case though is it? I agree that it does really pour down on occasions and nobody here wants to see them stop the race or see 20 laps behind a safety car. But they do get normal rain as well like the motogp about a month ago. Although a tropical storm did hit the circuit! A day later though, i think. (Can't really remember now :blush:) I can't seem to find the link either :(
Supporting:
Jenson Button for the WDC
McLaren for WCC

AtrumVesica

Post by AtrumVesica »

starting behind a safety car will ruin the start, so lets pray for a dry start at least

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I'm actually going to bed early so it will feel sooner till the race starts! :lol:

ATM2

Post by ATM2 »

As far as I remember, the 2009 Malaysia Gp was stopped due to unbearable conditions and only half-points were awarded.
So yes, it can happen badly, and the last time it happened right here. If I remember correctly, in 2009 they were also predicting "light rain" and we got hard pouring showers, enough for a boat to sail on the track. I fear of thinking what " severe rain" predictions would mean at them. Probably a tornado or a tsunami.
So, as other co-forumists said, considering the Malaysian weather, I pray for sunny weather. And for a clear running in the first 3 corners. For a track as wide as this one, that first right-left corner is actually really tight.
Olivier Panis fan.
...and also Jenson Button fan.

bailey.

Post by bailey. »

Chocksaway wrote:Good point made on James Allen F1 site......

13. Posted By: franed
Date: March 24th, 2012 @ 1:53 pm
Lewis has to put the flat spotted tyres back on, his pole time was set on the lap he knackered the tyres. His last lap on new tyres was slower.
Hopefully the clutch will work with the brain this time, but Schumi will be geared up to pounce and force his way past both McLarens, he may not stay there but the damage will be done.
Good commentary this morning James, together with F1 live timing makes the lack of picture bearable.

[Reply]

James Allen Reply:
March 24th, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thanks; it’s true. That F1 timing app is a revelation this year, especially with the tyres everyone is using. Makes commentating a lot easier.

[Reply]

Like Ross brawn said after quali last week when rosberg flat spotted his tyre in q3, you can ask the fia if you can change one tyre if it is badly damaged. I never did here the final outcome of this though.

becker

Post by becker »

How many hours til the race? I will be setting a timer rather than alarm..it says 9hrs 20min on PF1 homepage but I think it is only 8hrs20 because of daylight savings?

WiLL-A

Post by WiLL-A »

becker wrote:How many hours til the race? I will be setting a timer rather than alarm..it says 9hrs 20min on PF1 homepage but I think it is only 8hrs20 because of daylight savings?

16:00 (local)
08:00 (GMT)
09:00 (BST)

so basically the race itself will start at 9AM UK time after u have put ur clock forward by 1 hr. Race coverage probably some time after 8AM.

Testarossa

Post by Testarossa »

I hope for cloudy weather, with no rain and sun.....I will be in the hillstands later!

Ev0lutionz

Post by Ev0lutionz »

I still don't get it why they cannot put Singapore after Malaysia since its just a 5 hour drive down lol.

yanbon24

Post by yanbon24 »

Ev0lutionz wrote:I still don't get it why they cannot put Singapore after Malaysia since its just a 5 hour drive down lol.

I imagine that it would be more environmentally friendly to do that, that these new engine rules they want to introduce.

scouse

Post by scouse »

WiLL-A wrote:
becker wrote:How many hours til the race? I will be setting a timer rather than alarm..it says 9hrs 20min on PF1 homepage but I think it is only 8hrs20 because of daylight savings?

16:00 (local)
08:00 (GMT)
09:00 (BST)

so basically the race itself will start at 9AM UK time after u have put ur clock forward by 1 hr. Race coverage probably some time after 8AM.

It's on Sunday 1 AM here, 'till about 3:30AM. Got the recorder all set up so if I wake before the missis I'll just put the headset on and lay back.

Ev0lutionz. I still don't get it why they cannot put Singapore after Malaysia since its just a 5 hour drive down lol.

Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm sure their experts can give you some lame reason.
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

This has potential to give us most exciting 10 seconds of race in long time.
To be honest its giving me some goosebumps when I glance through the grid. 3 world champions in top 3 positions. Mega starting Schumacher on 2nd row, poor but still mega starting Ferrari of Alonso slightly back of the grid, Rosberg and vettel thrown in the mix and we have potential for something exciting.
I would be really surprised if we have clean start with this grid. Cant wait. I have never been this excited for the race start in a while.

Leen26

Post by Leen26 »

how's the weather? did it rain last night? is it raining now?
Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

DJKIMI

Post by DJKIMI »

Leen26 wrote:how's the weather? did it rain last night? is it raining now?

GP2 just finished. No rain, cloudy but normal conditions really

cdriel

Post by cdriel »

Maybe Red Bull hopes for rain after 20 or so laps.
Every other car ate their tyres and had to pit, while Vettel runs on the option tyres he started the race on. On P1 :)

Then it starts to rain, and everybody has to pit for full wets, including vettel.

Then he'll stil have P1 if it turns out ok for him.

I think rbr guesses on some scenario like that. Rbr is racing McLaren and Mercedes.
Last edited by cdriel on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

LittleSnowBear

Post by LittleSnowBear »

I managed to get half the morning of to watch it hooray! I'll be shattered tonight though.
Hello!

zedd

Post by zedd »

Though I hope it does not happen I can't help sensing that condtitions seem ripe for the red mist and a Hamilton DNF. If I were a betting man, I would put some money on it.

trickmonkey

Post by trickmonkey »

Guys I need help, PF1 count-down clock stats that it's 2.5 h until race starts, while Formula1.com gives a 1.5h count down, which is the correct one?

Thanks!

Bosse

Post by Bosse »

trickmonkey wrote:Guys I need help, PF1 count-down clock stats that it's 2.5 h until race starts, while Formula1.com gives a 1.5h count down, which is the correct one?

Thanks!

Formula one's. Summer time is messing it up for PF1.

chinki

Post by chinki »

trickmonkey wrote:Guys I need help, PF1 count-down clock stats that it's 2.5 h until race starts, while Formula1.com gives a 1.5h count down, which is the correct one?

Thanks!

1.5 is correct

AycheAyeEmm

Post by AycheAyeEmm »

chinki wrote:

Thanks!

1.5 is correct

Are you guys sure it isn't 0.5? I thought Sky only had 30 minutes of buildup last weekend?

mcramsey

Post by mcramsey »

At the moment it's raining in Kuala Lumpur (K.L)

Can hear thunders.

Sepang is quite far from K.L.

LittleSnowBear

Post by LittleSnowBear »

chinki wrote:

Thanks!

1.5 is correct

Arrgh! when I looked at the TV schedule last night it said programme started at 7am so I figured a hour of buildup. Got up and the programme started at 7:20 and the race starts at nine I said I should get to work at 11am now I'll probably be late.
Hello!

ozrevhead

Post by ozrevhead »

I hope its not too wet - we do want the race to go ahead

Im not confident that Mark can hold the Mercs but as long as he is ahead of Seb I will be happy :D

Sevenfest

Post by Sevenfest »

LittleSnowBear wrote:
chinki wrote:

Thanks!

1.5 is correct

Arrgh! when I looked at the TV schedule last night it said programme started at 7am so I figured a hour of buildup. Got up and the programme started at 7:20 and the race starts at nine I said I should get to work at 11am now I'll probably be late.

I didn't know if my phone was going to change over ... been up since 5.35am :blush: