Grid Position

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
cmax

Grid Position

Post by cmax »

Just watching last season's Malaysia race edit and it clearly shows Vettel pole grid position to be
on the right side (next to pitlane wall). However, on the BBC graphics at the end of today's quali the grid
positions were different and Lewi's slot was on the left similar to Australia. Has the positions been changed?
If so I hope Lewis has a great start, as starting from the left side and turn one being a right hander is imo a bit
tricky if you are side by side with another car approaching the corner.

Gambit78

Re: Grid Position

Post by Gambit78 »

The first right hand turn is followed immediately by a left, so might not be such a bad position to begin with, so long as your nose is in front at that first corner.

Pritchard

Post by Pritchard »

With the grid being closer to the final turn than turn 1 the racing line is on the right as well isn't it? Isn't the right hand side the clean side of the track? Think thats more important than who has the better line for t1 due to the left hander soon after and the long distance before the braking zone.

Eva09

Post by Eva09 »

Personally I would choose to be on the right. But I don't know where the grid slots are.

cmax

Post by cmax »

Pritchard wrote:With the grid being closer to the final turn than turn 1 the racing line is on the right as well isn't it? Isn't the right hand side the clean side of the track?

If that is so then Button is on the clean side (according to the BBC graphics).

sultanofhyd

Post by sultanofhyd »

cmax wrote:
Pritchard wrote:With the grid being closer to the final turn than turn 1 the racing line is on the right as well isn't it? Isn't the right hand side the clean side of the track?

If that is so then Button is on the clean side (according to the BBC graphics).

Pole sitter always gets the clean side, unless all the drivers think otherwise and approach the FIA to change the grid slots.
Apparently religious people didn't like my signature, hah! Don't read it if you are so offended by it.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

Rocket_Red

Post by Rocket_Red »

To be fair it doesn't really matter, it's all about the actual launh you get. Eg from Australia Hamilton, Grosjean & Webber got bad starts from the clean side and lost out to Button, Schumacher & Vettel who were on the 'dirty' side of the grid. To even it out. Rosberg had a mega start from the clean side.

As I said it's about the launch, the pundits/commentators make too much of it. It meant more back in the day (Senna/Prost anyone?).
Close doesn't count

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

Rocket_Red wrote:To be fair it doesn't really matter, it's all about the actual launh you get. Eg from Australia Hamilton, Grosjean & Webber got bad starts from the clean side and lost out to Button, Schumacher & Vettel who were on the 'dirty' side of the grid. To even it out. Rosberg had a mega start from the clean side.

As I said it's about the launch, the pundits/commentators make too much of it. It meant more back in the day (Senna/Prost anyone?).

It varies from track to track. I think it was Turkey last year, where Rosberg jumped Webber into second at the first corner. Then at Monaco I'm pretty certain that the person who starts second usually gets jumped by the guy starting in 3rd.
Winter is Coming

Rocket_Red

Post by Rocket_Red »

Monaco is easier for 3rd though as the track is tighter and 2nd can't move across, TBF there isn't really any decent place at Monaco apart from 1st
Close doesn't count

Pritchard

Post by Pritchard »

Rocket_Red wrote:Monaco is easier for 3rd though as the track is tighter and 2nd can't move across, TBF there isn't really any decent place at Monaco apart from 1st

On a slight tangent, is the spacing between the grid slots the same at every circuit?

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

When approaching turn one the left side has the most rubber and is the cleanest. The driver can also carry the most speed through the corner. On the right side there is less traction and it is not as clean as the left. Since the corner is so tight the inside car has to really slow down a lot more.

uk in ny

Post by uk in ny »

Just hoping that Hamilton can fend off Button this time. Losing position from pole in two consecutive races would not be good for the old confidence.

I actually think Schumacher may be the one to watch. That Merc is way quick and he has made a few lightning starts..... Can he take both on the first lap?

ATM2

Post by ATM2 »

Yes, he realistically could, but I doubt it would last for more than 5-6 laps. Although the long straights would favor the Mercedes, Macca are much more stable on the second segment of the lap. Then again, Button is nothing to brag about. He has the advantage of Webber at his immediate rear - and we know usually Webber is a poor starter -therefore Button can concentrate solely about the front...Hammy, on the other hand, is surrounded by arch enemies, he must have some pressure building up inside of him...
Then again, rain is expected, and that could very well prove our guessing wrong.
Oh well, 3 more hours and we'll know. On with the race already.
Olivier Panis fan.
...and also Jenson Button fan.