McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Post Reply
User avatar
UnlikeUday
Posts: 9370
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by UnlikeUday »

Image
Source - Imgur

Image
Source - Imgur

Image
Source - Imgur

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... o/6509958/
Feel The Fourth

Asphalt_World
Posts: 5701
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Asphalt_World »

Any reason? I hate modern F1 marketing. One race colour and one bloody helmet per driver each year please!!!!!
Instagram @italian_car_pictures

User avatar
Alienturnedhuman
Posts: 4261
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

What annoyed me about this was earlier in the week when every F1 journalist and their dog tweeted pretty much identical tweets to the tune of "Just been to a top secret press briefing at McLaren, they are revealing something HUGE on Sunday. Can't reveal any details but it's big"

While I anticipated it was going to underwhelm me, this announcement literally being a one race special livery is underwhelming for something I was expecting to underwhelm me. If there had been no hype I would be thought "that's a nice livery"

Asphalt_World
Posts: 5701
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Asphalt_World »

Nothing beats the Monaco GP for turning a serious sport for the fans into a media, VIP, celebrity who has no interest in F1, kind of sport.

Remember Jaguar with the diamond mounted on the nose?
Instagram @italian_car_pictures

User avatar
myattitude
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 7:36 pm

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by myattitude »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:34 pm
Nothing beats the Monaco GP for turning a serious sport for the fans into a media, VIP, celebrity who has no interest in F1, kind of sport.

Remember Jaguar with the diamond mounted on the nose?
Did they ever find it? It fell off and rumour was somebody walked off with it.

Asphalt_World
Posts: 5701
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Asphalt_World »

myattitude wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:52 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:34 pm
Nothing beats the Monaco GP for turning a serious sport for the fans into a media, VIP, celebrity who has no interest in F1, kind of sport.

Remember Jaguar with the diamond mounted on the nose?
Did they ever find it? It fell off and rumour was somebody walked off with it.
I remember that story. Can't help but think that the one they put on the car was fake and after the crash, it going missing made for a great, if not true, story.
Instagram @italian_car_pictures

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8768
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Exediron »

I like it, and since I never saw any of the hype ahead of time I didn't have any anticipation spoiled.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 19 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

oz_karter
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by oz_karter »

Exediron wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:31 pm
I like it, and since I never saw any of the hype ahead of time I didn't have any anticipation spoiled.
I agree. Didn't see any of the journo comments or hype, just saw the livery this morning.

Looks great!

I also enjoy the hype around the Monaco GP. It might not be pure F1, but it's one of those events everyone knows of even if they don't follow the sport.

User avatar
Mort Canard
Posts: 1653
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Location: Kansas

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Mort Canard »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:10 pm
Image
Source - Imgur

Image
Source - Imgur

Image
Source - Imgur

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... o/6509958/
I think this guy would approve!

Image
Source: https://media0.giphy.com/media/MyXOI91W ... y.gif&ct=g
Mission WinLater

Option or Prime
Posts: 2118
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Location: UK

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Option or Prime »

I love it, its a one off in recognition of a renewed tie-up between Gulf Oil and McLaren last year, that tie up goes back to the 1960s.

Image

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 2050
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by DOLOMITE »

Love it.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Battle Far »

DOLOMITE wrote: Love it.
Ditto and the kit
Image

A.J.
Posts: 989
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:37 am

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by A.J. »

Wonder why they didn't run it at, I don't know, Bahrain?

User avatar
DFWdude
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by DFWdude »

Nice livery, but... yawn already. Looks like a team in F1 has adopted a NASCAR "retro" or "throw-back" weekend color scheme, and that comparison isn't good.

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8768
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Exediron »

DFWdude wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 pm
Nice livery, but... yawn already. Looks like a team in F1 has adopted a NASCAR "retro" or "throw-back" weekend color scheme, and that comparison isn't good.
It truly is impossible to please some people...
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 19 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Asphalt_World
Posts: 5701
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Asphalt_World »

Exediron wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:27 pm
DFWdude wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 pm
Nice livery, but... yawn already. Looks like a team in F1 has adopted a NASCAR "retro" or "throw-back" weekend color scheme, and that comparison isn't good.
It truly is impossible to please some people...
It isn't, it's just that different people are pleased by different things. I'd prefer one livery for the entire season. That would please me. I guess I've been watching the sport for enough years to not be especially excited because a car has a one-off colour scheme, especially when it comes to Monaco where teams attempting to focus on PR and VIP stuff rather than the actual race is hardly anything new.
Instagram @italian_car_pictures

User avatar
DFWdude
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by DFWdude »

Exediron wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:27 pm
DFWdude wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 pm
Nice livery, but... yawn already. Looks like a team in F1 has adopted a NASCAR "retro" or "throw-back" weekend color scheme, and that comparison isn't good.
It truly is impossible to please some people...
Actually I'm quite easy to please, just that when I reminisce of the period, the Gulf liveries I remember are the '68-'69 Ford GT 40 MkIIs at LeMans (and the Gulf Porsche 917Ks that followed). The McLarens of that era (pic above) were overall papaya orange, without a hint of Gulf Blue.

I did say the scheme was nice... just not that original, or even historic (for F1).

Image
Source: https://www.jazzwax.com/2020/02/ford-v- ... -1968.html

A.J.
Posts: 989
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:37 am

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by A.J. »

DFWdude wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 pm
Exediron wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:27 pm
DFWdude wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 pm
Nice livery, but... yawn already. Looks like a team in F1 has adopted a NASCAR "retro" or "throw-back" weekend color scheme, and that comparison isn't good.
It truly is impossible to please some people...
Actually I'm quite easy to please, just that when I reminisce of the period, the Gulf liveries I remember are the '68-'69 Ford GT 40 MkIIs at LeMans (and the Gulf Porsche 917Ks that followed). The McLarens of that era (pic above) were overall papaya orange, without a hint of Gulf Blue.

I did say the scheme was nice... just not that original, or even historic (for F1).

Image
Source: https://www.jazzwax.com/2020/02/ford-v- ... -1968.html
Completely unrelated comment - but man that car looks gorgeous!

Option or Prime
Posts: 2118
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Location: UK

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Option or Prime »

A.J. wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:52 pm
DFWdude wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 pm
Exediron wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:27 pm
DFWdude wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 pm
Nice livery, but... yawn already. Looks like a team in F1 has adopted a NASCAR "retro" or "throw-back" weekend color scheme, and that comparison isn't good.
It truly is impossible to please some people...
Actually I'm quite easy to please, just that when I reminisce of the period, the Gulf liveries I remember are the '68-'69 Ford GT 40 MkIIs at LeMans (and the Gulf Porsche 917Ks that followed). The McLarens of that era (pic above) were overall papaya orange, without a hint of Gulf Blue.

I did say the scheme was nice... just not that original, or even historic (for F1).

Image
Source: https://www.jazzwax.com/2020/02/ford-v- ... -1968.html
Completely unrelated comment - but man that car looks gorgeous!
Yeah, its the livery that does it! ;)

Battle Far
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Battle Far »

Rumour is the latest bet between Zac, Lando & Dan is, win Monaco and get this

Image

EPROM
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:59 am

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by EPROM »

A.J. wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:52 pm
DFWdude wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 pm
Exediron wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:27 pm
DFWdude wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 pm
Nice livery, but... yawn already. Looks like a team in F1 has adopted a NASCAR "retro" or "throw-back" weekend color scheme, and that comparison isn't good.
It truly is impossible to please some people...
Actually I'm quite easy to please, just that when I reminisce of the period, the Gulf liveries I remember are the '68-'69 Ford GT 40 MkIIs at LeMans (and the Gulf Porsche 917Ks that followed). The McLarens of that era (pic above) were overall papaya orange, without a hint of Gulf Blue.

I did say the scheme was nice... just not that original, or even historic (for F1).

Image
Source: https://www.jazzwax.com/2020/02/ford-v- ... -1968.html
Completely unrelated comment - but man that car looks gorgeous!
I'll totally agree with that. It's simply drop-dead gorgeous!

And it's worth seeing a third time in this thread!!!

User avatar
Invade
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: McLaren will run Special livery at Monaco!

Post by Invade »

It looks incredible. Pretty much the best livery I've ever seen in F1. And it'll only be used in this one race? It blows the standard livery out of the water, and I really like the standard livery.

Close to perfection.

Post Reply