2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Post Reply

Who was qualifier of the day?

Fernando Alonso
0
No votes
Valtteri Bottas
0
No votes
Pierre Gasly
0
No votes
Antonio Giovinazzi
0
No votes
Lewis Hamilton
12
46%
Nicholas Latifi
0
No votes
Charles Leclerc
4
15%
Nikita Mazepin
0
No votes
Lando Norris
0
No votes
Esteban Ocon
7
27%
Sergio Pérez
0
No votes
Kimi Räikkönen
0
No votes
Daniel Ricciardo
0
No votes
George Russell
0
No votes
Carlos Sainz Jr.
0
No votes
Mick Schumacher
1
4%
Lance Stroll
0
No votes
Yuki Tsunoda
0
No votes
Max Verstappen
2
8%
Sebastian Vettel
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
Alienturnedhuman
Posts: 4276
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm

2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

As per previous qualifier of the day polls, choose who you think was the star performer.

KingVoid
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by KingVoid »

Verstappen for his 1 second gap to Perez

Rockie
Posts: 2424
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Rockie »

Hamilton, just when everyone thought Max had it in the bag!

Rockie
Posts: 2424
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Rockie »

KingVoid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:54 pm
Verstappen for his 1 second gap to Perez
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Perez is as poor in the Redbull as his Mclaren year.
Last edited by Rockie on Sat May 08, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schumilegend
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by schumilegend »

It's between Verstappen and Leclerc... Verstappen for absolutely destroying Perez and Leclerc for putting in a clutch lap on his last run to finish best of the rest

User avatar
Jezza13
Posts: 2498
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Far side of Koozebane

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Jezza13 »

KingVoid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:54 pm
Verstappen for his 1 second gap to Perez
I think that says as much against Perez as it does for Verstappen.

Leclerc for me. Firmly believe he's the best qualifier in the sport ATM.
Great Quotes of the 20th Century

"You think I know f**k all.... I know f**k nothing" - Anonymous Maltese construction worker's response to being told he doesn't know how to do his job.

mikeyg123
Posts: 19085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by mikeyg123 »

Rockie wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:59 pm
KingVoid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:54 pm
Verstappen for his 1 second gap to Perez
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Perez is as poor in the Redbull as his Mclaren year.
I think Perez beat his teammate in quali in his McLaren year.

TheGiantHogweed
Posts: 3653
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

I don't think verstappen underperformed, and he was incredibly close. I do believe red Bull had the advantage so hamilton beating him was pretty good. I think it is between hamilton and one or two others further back. I do think Ocon is very solid in qualifying.

schumilegend
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by schumilegend »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:03 pm
Rockie wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:59 pm
KingVoid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:54 pm
Verstappen for his 1 second gap to Perez
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Perez is as poor in the Redbull as his Mclaren year.
I think Perez beat his teammate in quali in his McLaren year.
Ouch :lol: :lol:

KingVoid
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by KingVoid »

Rockie wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:59 pm
KingVoid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:54 pm
Verstappen for his 1 second gap to Perez
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Perez is as poor in the Redbull as his Mclaren year.
Fun fact: Perez out qualified Button 10-9 in that McLaren year

First it was Gasly who was one of the worst drivers in the sport. Now it’s Perez.

I can almost guarantee you that neither Gasly or Perez are some of the worst drivers in the sport (they are both actually pretty darn good).

The problem is that Verstappen is just that fast.

schumilegend
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by schumilegend »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:04 pm
I don't think verstappen underperformed, and he was incredibly close. I do believe red Bull had the advantage so hamilton beating him was pretty good. I think it is between hamilton and one or two others further back. I do think Ocon is very solid in qualifying.
How come the Honey badger destroyed him in qualifying then?

Rockie
Posts: 2424
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Rockie »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:03 pm
Rockie wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:59 pm
KingVoid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:54 pm
Verstappen for his 1 second gap to Perez
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Perez is as poor in the Redbull as his Mclaren year.
I think Perez beat his teammate in quali in his McLaren year.
And that means he wasn't poor in the car?

Rockie
Posts: 2424
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Rockie »

KingVoid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:05 pm
Rockie wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:59 pm
KingVoid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:54 pm
Verstappen for his 1 second gap to Perez
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Perez is as poor in the Redbull as his Mclaren year.
Fun fact: Perez out qualified Button 10-9 in that McLaren year

First it was Gasly who was one of the worst drivers in the sport. Now it’s Perez.

I can almost guarantee you that neither Gasly or Perez are some of the worst drivers in the sport (they are both actually pretty darn good).

The problem is that Verstappen is just that fast.
Verstappen is not just that fast, this is just loose talk.

User avatar
F1Tyrant
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: UK

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by F1Tyrant »

KingVoid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:05 pm
The problem is that Verstappen is just that fast.
Possible. The RB16B may just be a real diva to drive and it's Verstappen's adapatability like that of Hamilton, Alonso and Schumacher that is the real star quality here. Hamilton pulled a mega lap here and only won by a very fine margin.
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

TheGiantHogweed
Posts: 3653
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

schumilegend wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:05 pm
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:04 pm
I don't think verstappen underperformed, and he was incredibly close. I do believe red Bull had the advantage so hamilton beating him was pretty good. I think it is between hamilton and one or two others further back. I do think Ocon is very solid in qualifying.
How come the Honey badger destroyed him in qualifying then?
I am speaking about this year, so i should have made that more obvious.

schumilegend
Posts: 464
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by schumilegend »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:16 pm
[quote="schumilegend " post_id=842966 time=<a href="tel:1620486332">1620486332</a> user_id=24476]
[quote="TheGiantHogweed " post_id=842963 time=<a href="tel:1620486280">1620486280</a> user_id=142611]
I don't think verstappen underperformed, and he was incredibly close. I do believe red Bull had the advantage so hamilton beating him was pretty good. I think it is between hamilton and one or two others further back. I do think Ocon is very solid in qualifying.
How come the Honey badger destroyed him in qualifying then?
[/quote]

I am speaking about this year, so i should have made that more obvious.
[/quote]
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:16 pm
schumilegend wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:05 pm
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:04 pm
I don't think verstappen underperformed, and he was incredibly close. I do believe red Bull had the advantage so hamilton beating him was pretty good. I think it is between hamilton and one or two others further back. I do think Ocon is very solid in qualifying.
How come the Honey badger destroyed him in qualifying then?
I am speaking about this year, so i should have made that more obvious.
So Ocon went from an being average qualifier to a solid qualifier ?? Or maybe Alonso is just making him look better and the honey badger would be making him look average this year as well? What’s your money on

TheGiantHogweed
Posts: 3653
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

There is such a thing as being more comfortable with the car. Ocon has the advantage of already knowing the team.

It also has to be said that Ricciardo wasn't destroying Ocon at the end of last season. They were pretty closely matched by then.

I don't really think Alonso should have returned, but I think he can have a few races to get used to the car. He's looked pretty much as good as ocon pace wise in the race and he may yet improve in qualifying later in the season.

Schumacher forever#1
Posts: 3215
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Ocon. Though there were a lot of honourable names today.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

User avatar
Invade
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Invade »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:15 pm
KingVoid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:05 pm
The problem is that Verstappen is just that fast.
Possible. The RB16B may just be a real diva to drive and it's Verstappen's adapatability like that of Hamilton, Alonso and Schumacher that is the real star quality here. Hamilton pulled a mega lap here and only won by a very fine margin.
The main thing for me is that Perez qualified out of position and should be 4th. I don't think RB are equal with a bunch of other midfield cars and that Max made some crazy difference over McLaren, Ferrari and Alpine drivers. Perez grossly underperformed.

JN23
Posts: 3375
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by JN23 »

Giovinazzi deserves a bit of credit here, he trounced Kimi for the third race in four.

Ocon thrashed Alonso again. Leclerc pulled out a lap again at the end as he often does.

SlipstreamF1
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:08 pm

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by SlipstreamF1 »

Hamilton for his miracle 100th pole. I don't know how he did it.

User avatar
Invade
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Invade »

Lot of Hamilton votes and 1 Max vote so I have to ask: Do you guys think the Red Bull car was equal on pace today, or perhaps the quickest car?

Because Lewis barely pipped Max to pole position - there's nowt in it.

Or is it the symbolism of that almost mythical and romanticised number in reaching the big 1 0 0, the century, the ton?


Anyway, they certainly both put in tidy laps. The side-by-side lap comparison between them is interesting.

JN23
Posts: 3375
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by JN23 »

Invade wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 pm
Lot of Hamilton votes and 1 Max vote so I have to ask: Do you guys think the Red Bull car was equal on pace today, or perhaps the quickest car?

Because Lewis barely pipped Max to pole position - there's nowt in it.

Or is it the symbolism of that almost mythical and romanticised number in reaching the big 1 0 0, the century, the ton?


Anyway, they certainly both put in tidy laps. The side-by-side lap comparison between them is interesting.
You got a link to the wide by side?

User avatar
Alienturnedhuman
Posts: 4276
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Invade wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 pm
Lot of Hamilton votes and 1 Max vote so I have to ask: Do you guys think the Red Bull car was equal on pace today, or perhaps the quickest car?

Because Lewis barely pipped Max to pole position - there's nowt in it.

Or is it the symbolism of that almost mythical and romanticised number in reaching the big 1 0 0, the century, the ton?


Anyway, they certainly both put in tidy laps. The side-by-side lap comparison between them is interesting.
I didn't vote for Hamilton, but Button said after Q1 and Q2 he thought Max was certain for pole.

KingVoid
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by KingVoid »

Rockie wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:13 pm

Verstappen is not just that fast, this is just loose talk.
It’s pretty obvious that he is if you have a good eye for talent.

User avatar
UnlikeUday
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by UnlikeUday »

JN23 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:15 pm
Invade wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 pm
Lot of Hamilton votes and 1 Max vote so I have to ask: Do you guys think the Red Bull car was equal on pace today, or perhaps the quickest car?

Because Lewis barely pipped Max to pole position - there's nowt in it.

Or is it the symbolism of that almost mythical and romanticised number in reaching the big 1 0 0, the century, the ton?


Anyway, they certainly both put in tidy laps. The side-by-side lap comparison between them is interesting.
You got a link to the wide by side?
Here mate:
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2021/ ... Spain.html
Feel The Fourth

JN23
Posts: 3375
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by JN23 »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:07 am
JN23 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:15 pm
Invade wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 pm
Lot of Hamilton votes and 1 Max vote so I have to ask: Do you guys think the Red Bull car was equal on pace today, or perhaps the quickest car?

Because Lewis barely pipped Max to pole position - there's nowt in it.

Or is it the symbolism of that almost mythical and romanticised number in reaching the big 1 0 0, the century, the ton?


Anyway, they certainly both put in tidy laps. The side-by-side lap comparison between them is interesting.
You got a link to the wide by side?
Here mate:
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2021/ ... Spain.html
Thanks :thumbup:

User avatar
Mercedes-Benz
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 am
Location: India

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Bottas said he had a snap at turn10 which costed him pole. I also think Hamilton could have gotten faster in first run in Q3. I would say Max and Ocon did the best job in qualifying.
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

Rockie
Posts: 2424
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Rockie »

KingVoid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:21 pm
Rockie wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:13 pm

Verstappen is not just that fast, this is just loose talk.
It’s pretty obvious that he is if you have a good eye for talent.
In respect of the difference to Perez, Perez underperformed hence the "not just that fast" comment

User avatar
Invade
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Qualifier of the Day

Post by Invade »

You can see from the side-by-side that Hamilton bleeds time to Verstappen in S3, and that Verstappen is the chap who made an overt error, not quite hitting the apex at turn 7, paying for it with a compromised line and plenty more than a tenth lost.

Post Reply