Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Sprint Qualifying Format Yes or No

No
31
60%
Reserving Judgement
14
27%
Yes
7
13%
 
Total votes: 52

JN23
Posts: 3324
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by JN23 »

On the timing of Friday qualifying, there was a suggestion in article I read yesterday (can't remember which or where sorry), that suggested qualifying might be outside of work hours. I assume that means after 5pm in the UK, but that's not helpful for people who don't work a traditional 9-5.

JN23
Posts: 3324
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by JN23 »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:13 pm
JN23 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:42 am
UnlikeUday wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:01 am
Some more info:

Pirelli will supply only 12 sets of dry tyres per driver (2x hard, 4x medium, 6x soft).
Free tyre choice for both races. (2x FP1, 5x quali, 1x FP2, 2x sprint quali, 2x race)
Parc fermé rules allow change of brakes, spark plugs & air intake + oil filters.
I don’t get the tyre rules. Only two sets for the actual race, what happens if tyre wear is high and a two stopper is needed?

If teams can carry tyres forward then I suspect Merc/RB will try and only use four sets of tyres in quali. I guess it’s possible the second set in the sprint race can be carried forward to the race too.
I believe it's only stipulating the amount of new tyres that can be used for the race as in 2 different compounds, however you still would be able to use old tyres if a 2 stopper is needed, remember that races presently are started on used tyres.

However it doesn't seem to quantify that so I believe we have to factor in common sense that on race day that cars will not be restricted to just 2 sets of tyres.
Thanks Poker :thumbup: that does make sense. You'd think they'd have been a bit clearer on it.

User avatar
tim3003
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:46 am
Location: Suffolk, UK

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by tim3003 »

Stupid idea. Novelty for its own sake. All it does is attempt to mix up the grid for the main race. And will that really affect the outcome much?

Qualifying gives us the same grid as normal.
The sprint race is a procession as almost everyone tries to keep their position for the main race, unwilling to risk an passing manoevres - except maybe a few of the 'nothing to lose' cars at the back. But after 5 laps they'll be too far off the leaders to make any more progress. The 3-2-1 points will not tempt anyone into any risks except those at the back.
So the main race has an almost unchanged grid..
P-F1 Team Pick Game: 2019 Champion; 2020 Runner-up.

WHoff78
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by WHoff78 »

tim3003 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:29 pm
Stupid idea. Novelty for its own sake. All it does is attempt to mix up the grid for the main race. And will that really affect the outcome much?

Qualifying gives us the same grid as normal.
The sprint race is a procession as almost everyone tries to keep their position for the main race, unwilling to risk an passing manoevres - except maybe a few of the 'nothing to lose' cars at the back. But after 5 laps they'll be too far off the leaders to make any more progress. The 3-2-1 points will not tempt anyone into any risks except those at the back.
So the main race has an almost unchanged grid..
Little confused because you say that this is being done to mix up the grid, and then go on to explain why it won't do that. I don't think this is being done to mix up the grid. I believe that was part of the reasoning for considering reverse grids, but this has only been accepted by certain teams (Mercedes primarily) because it does not. I think the main reason now is to introduce an additional competitive session to the weekend and generate more air time (tv and trackside). I imagine this is a decent compromise for the teams who are against the ever expanding race calendar. Although they should be careful what they wish for because I imagine the FIA will want to have their cake and eat it too, and the number of events will continue to increase.

Harpo
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:26 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Harpo »

j man wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm
At a time when those who run football clubs showed themselves to be out of touch, self-obsessed halfwits it seems F1 was not to be outdone. I loathe this idea. Why take an aspect of F1 that works well and replace it with one that doesn't? Apparently it's what the fans want, but sadly as usual no one bothered to ask us.

I will watch the sprint race. However I will not be watching Friday qualifying as, like many people, I will be at work.
Well, if all the people who don't want this (insert pejorative) idea to be implemented watch it, it's already a lost cause.
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

User avatar
yodasarmpit
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by yodasarmpit »

Looks like I'm in the minority, I'm actually looking forward to this - it's not artificial, and should add an extra element of excitement to the weekend. The current qualifying format has become a bit dry.

Option or Prime
Posts: 2118
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Location: UK

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Option or Prime »

yodasarmpit wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:39 am
Looks like I'm in the minority, I'm actually looking forward to this - it's not artificial, and should add an extra element of excitement to the weekend. The current qualifying format has become a bit dry.
Being in the minority doesn't mean you are wrong! It might be the rest of us that are wrong or undecided! ;)

Fiki
Posts: 8178
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Fiki »

Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am
j man wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm
At a time when those who run football clubs showed themselves to be out of touch, self-obsessed halfwits it seems F1 was not to be outdone. I loathe this idea. Why take an aspect of F1 that works well and replace it with one that doesn't? Apparently it's what the fans want, but sadly as usual no one bothered to ask us.

I will watch the sprint race. However I will not be watching Friday qualifying as, like many people, I will be at work.
Well, if all the people who don't want this (insert pejorative) idea to be implemented watch it, it's already a lost cause.
True, but watching only the race does mean one is watching the result of this silliness. When Ross Brawn said it was a good idea, I knew we were going to have this forced upon us, no matter what.

As I recall, proper qualifying had to go because the big guns only came out for the final few minutes, when the track had been cleaned up by the "monkeys at the back". And when they came up with the present format, those monkeys were weeded out first.

Sometimes I find it hard to remember why F1 became my sport to watch. :-((
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

pokerman
Posts: 37154
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by pokerman »

It's like some people are saying it's not about improving the sport it's about improving viewing figures and if it does that then you will see more of it, by watching it you encourage it, I won't be watching.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 98 (1st)
Pole Positions: 100 (1st)
Podiums: 169 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Harpo
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:26 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Harpo »

Fiki wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:58 am
Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am
j man wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm
At a time when those who run football clubs showed themselves to be out of touch, self-obsessed halfwits it seems F1 was not to be outdone. I loathe this idea. Why take an aspect of F1 that works well and replace it with one that doesn't? Apparently it's what the fans want, but sadly as usual no one bothered to ask us.

I will watch the sprint race. However I will not be watching Friday qualifying as, like many people, I will be at work.
Well, if all the people who don't want this (insert pejorative) idea to be implemented watch it, it's already a lost cause.
True, but watching only the race does mean one is watching the result of this silliness. When Ross Brawn said it was a good idea, I knew we were going to have this forced upon us, no matter what.

As I recall, proper qualifying had to go because the big guns only came out for the final few minutes, when the track had been cleaned up by the "monkeys at the back". And when they came up with the present format, those monkeys were weeded out first.

Sometimes I find it hard to remember why F1 became my sport to watch. :-((
I can say that most of us who started following F1 during the previous millenium don't recognize much of what they loved, watching the current usurper. Even the cars are ugly.
What worries me even more than the "sprint" machin-chose, it's the thinking that altering the tracks is the solution to allow overtaking elsewhere than at the end of the main straight, when everybody knows the problem is the cars regulations, too long, too large, too aero-dependant, and that they went with any ridiculous device they could think of to allow overtaking at the end of the main straight (DRS, push this, pull that).
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by DOLOMITE »

Fiki wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:58 am

When Ross Brawn said it was a good idea, I knew we were going to have this forced upon us, no matter what.
to be fair he pushed reversed grids (here) and that didn't go anywhere because Merc saw they could only lose by it's introduction.

They key thing is here is the teams all agreeing, presumably because ultimately they get more ££.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by DOLOMITE »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:23 pm
It's like some people are saying it's not about improving the sport it's about improving viewing figures and if it does that then you will see more of it, by watching it you encourage it, I won't be watching.
Agreed. Much as I love the sport I will make a point of watching just the GP now.

I don't know how F1 viewer demographaphocs breakdown but personally I don't want more F1 over a weekend. We have (more than?!) enough races and I have other things in my life. I enjoy the anticipation of a couple hours every other weekend. I might watch qualy live on a dull wintery day but generally it's recorded qualy the night before and the race live if possible or live recording viewed that evening. I have a family and we are pretty active so I couldn't, and don't want to, plan my entire weekend around F1.
I certainly won't compromise my working hours on a Friday to watch qualifying. I can't be alone in this, bit it would be interesting to see how much time people give to live/catch up coverage and whether there is a correlation with their age/family situation.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

WHoff78
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by WHoff78 »

Whatever the outcome of this little trial, I really hope that they see the biggest win is introducing a bit of variation throughout the calendar is a good thing, and do not get hung-up on having a standardized format every weekend. I'm guessing many on here would disagree, from the general discussion, but I personally think that some variation as a good thing, although would like to see the current weekend format remain for a good portion of the season. The current qualifying format is great to watch and would certainly be disappointed if that wasn't kept as qualifying for a good portion of the season. Variation is healthy though, and mixing up the format on a set number of weekends could bring another dimension to those events.

The proposed format will test the teams and drivers in different ways as they won't have the three practice sessions to perfect the set-ups. Varying conditions between the race stint Saturday and Sunday could add a few extra surprises on occasion. Will also be interesting to see how teams/drivers compare in the race stint between Saturday and Sunday given a long break to go through the data of their competitors from the sprint race. I think ultimately they are hoping to build a bit more interest in the race through the weekend as well. Even if not everyone watches the qualifying or sprint race those sessions will grab more headlines and probably raise more interest on the Sunday.

j man
Posts: 3617
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: UK

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by j man »

Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am
j man wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm
At a time when those who run football clubs showed themselves to be out of touch, self-obsessed halfwits it seems F1 was not to be outdone. I loathe this idea. Why take an aspect of F1 that works well and replace it with one that doesn't? Apparently it's what the fans want, but sadly as usual no one bothered to ask us.

I will watch the sprint race. However I will not be watching Friday qualifying as, like many people, I will be at work.
Well, if all the people who don't want this (insert pejorative) idea to be implemented watch it, it's already a lost cause.
Yes you're absolutely right. Sadly though, my principled stance against this terrible idea is outweighed by the simple fact that I like watching F1 when it is on (and when I have no obligations elsewhere).

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8752
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Exediron »

j man wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:32 pm
Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am
j man wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm
At a time when those who run football clubs showed themselves to be out of touch, self-obsessed halfwits it seems F1 was not to be outdone. I loathe this idea. Why take an aspect of F1 that works well and replace it with one that doesn't? Apparently it's what the fans want, but sadly as usual no one bothered to ask us.

I will watch the sprint race. However I will not be watching Friday qualifying as, like many people, I will be at work.
Well, if all the people who don't want this (insert pejorative) idea to be implemented watch it, it's already a lost cause.
Yes you're absolutely right. Sadly though, my principled stance against this terrible idea is outweighed by the simple fact that I like watching F1 when it is on (and when I have no obligations elsewhere).
Same, I'm sad to say. I'm sure I'll watch this miserable sprint race even if I loathe the concept.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 19 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

pokerman
Posts: 37154
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm
j man wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:32 pm
Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am
j man wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm
At a time when those who run football clubs showed themselves to be out of touch, self-obsessed halfwits it seems F1 was not to be outdone. I loathe this idea. Why take an aspect of F1 that works well and replace it with one that doesn't? Apparently it's what the fans want, but sadly as usual no one bothered to ask us.

I will watch the sprint race. However I will not be watching Friday qualifying as, like many people, I will be at work.
Well, if all the people who don't want this (insert pejorative) idea to be implemented watch it, it's already a lost cause.
Yes you're absolutely right. Sadly though, my principled stance against this terrible idea is outweighed by the simple fact that I like watching F1 when it is on (and when I have no obligations elsewhere).
Same, I'm sad to say. I'm sure I'll watch this miserable sprint race even if I loathe the concept.
Unfortunately then you are enabling something you don't like.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 98 (1st)
Pole Positions: 100 (1st)
Podiums: 169 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

JN23
Posts: 3324
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by JN23 »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:24 pm
Exediron wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm
j man wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:32 pm
Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am
j man wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm
At a time when those who run football clubs showed themselves to be out of touch, self-obsessed halfwits it seems F1 was not to be outdone. I loathe this idea. Why take an aspect of F1 that works well and replace it with one that doesn't? Apparently it's what the fans want, but sadly as usual no one bothered to ask us.

I will watch the sprint race. However I will not be watching Friday qualifying as, like many people, I will be at work.
Well, if all the people who don't want this (insert pejorative) idea to be implemented watch it, it's already a lost cause.
Yes you're absolutely right. Sadly though, my principled stance against this terrible idea is outweighed by the simple fact that I like watching F1 when it is on (and when I have no obligations elsewhere).
Same, I'm sad to say. I'm sure I'll watch this miserable sprint race even if I loathe the concept.
Unfortunately then you are enabling something you don't like.
I'm not sure the viewing figures matter *that* much. They matter, but at the end of the day I'm still paying for my Sky subscription whether I watch it or not. And that's the same for most people in the UK who watch F1 live.

User avatar
Jezza13
Posts: 2497
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Far side of Koozebane

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Jezza13 »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:24 pm
Exediron wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm
j man wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:32 pm
Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am
j man wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm
At a time when those who run football clubs showed themselves to be out of touch, self-obsessed halfwits it seems F1 was not to be outdone. I loathe this idea. Why take an aspect of F1 that works well and replace it with one that doesn't? Apparently it's what the fans want, but sadly as usual no one bothered to ask us.

I will watch the sprint race. However I will not be watching Friday qualifying as, like many people, I will be at work.
Well, if all the people who don't want this (insert pejorative) idea to be implemented watch it, it's already a lost cause.
Yes you're absolutely right. Sadly though, my principled stance against this terrible idea is outweighed by the simple fact that I like watching F1 when it is on (and when I have no obligations elsewhere).
Same, I'm sad to say. I'm sure I'll watch this miserable sprint race even if I loathe the concept.
Unfortunately then you are enabling something you don't like.
Much the same as almost everyone here to a person does with the DRS.

I detest the concept but with a passion but i'll watch it this year out of curiosity, to hopefully confirm my thoughts & to enable me to engage in a debate on the subject from a position of knowledge, but if it was to be introduced as a permanent fixture then that'd probably be a different story.

I'm yet to hear or read anything close to what I consider a valid argument as to why this needs to be introduced. If the objective of this is to hopefully mix things up then in my mind there's other ways it can achieved without screwing around with a format that's almost universally accepted as one of the few things in the sport that doesn't need fixing.
Great Quotes of the 20th Century

"You think I know f**k all.... I know f**k nothing" - Anonymous Maltese construction worker's response to being told he doesn't know how to do his job.

Herb
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Herb »

JN23 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:10 pm
pokerman wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:24 pm
Exediron wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm
j man wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:32 pm
Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am


Well, if all the people who don't want this (insert pejorative) idea to be implemented watch it, it's already a lost cause.
Yes you're absolutely right. Sadly though, my principled stance against this terrible idea is outweighed by the simple fact that I like watching F1 when it is on (and when I have no obligations elsewhere).
Same, I'm sad to say. I'm sure I'll watch this miserable sprint race even if I loathe the concept.
Unfortunately then you are enabling something you don't like.
I'm not sure the viewing figures matter *that* much. They matter, but at the end of the day I'm still paying for my Sky subscription whether I watch it or not. And that's the same for most people in the UK who watch F1 live.
Unless you're on the BARB panel, your viewing habits don't affect the ratings anyway.

I don't find any part of F1 sacrosanct or off-limits from changes, but I think the current qualy format is brilliant so on the face of it I'm not happy about the changes.

However, I've been wrong before, so willing to see how it plays out. I can't see it, but it could be awesome.

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8752
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Exediron »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:24 pm
Exediron wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm
j man wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:32 pm
Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am
j man wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm
At a time when those who run football clubs showed themselves to be out of touch, self-obsessed halfwits it seems F1 was not to be outdone. I loathe this idea. Why take an aspect of F1 that works well and replace it with one that doesn't? Apparently it's what the fans want, but sadly as usual no one bothered to ask us.

I will watch the sprint race. However I will not be watching Friday qualifying as, like many people, I will be at work.
Well, if all the people who don't want this (insert pejorative) idea to be implemented watch it, it's already a lost cause.
Yes you're absolutely right. Sadly though, my principled stance against this terrible idea is outweighed by the simple fact that I like watching F1 when it is on (and when I have no obligations elsewhere).
Same, I'm sad to say. I'm sure I'll watch this miserable sprint race even if I loathe the concept.
Unfortunately then you are enabling something you don't like.
If it makes you feel better, I won't be watching it live... I might get missed in whatever their ratings report is.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 19 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by DOLOMITE »

Exediron wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:52 pm

If it makes you feel better, I won't be watching it live... I might get missed in whatever their ratings report is.
Might be a separate topic, but do you know how viewing figures are reported in terms of the actual live broadcast, a later re-run being watched as it's broadcast and programs you have recorded that you watch later?
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

pokerman
Posts: 37154
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by pokerman »

JN23 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:10 pm
pokerman wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:24 pm
Exediron wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm
j man wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:32 pm
Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am


Well, if all the people who don't want this (insert pejorative) idea to be implemented watch it, it's already a lost cause.
Yes you're absolutely right. Sadly though, my principled stance against this terrible idea is outweighed by the simple fact that I like watching F1 when it is on (and when I have no obligations elsewhere).
Same, I'm sad to say. I'm sure I'll watch this miserable sprint race even if I loathe the concept.
Unfortunately then you are enabling something you don't like.
I'm not sure the viewing figures matter *that* much. They matter, but at the end of the day I'm still paying for my Sky subscription whether I watch it or not. And that's the same for most people in the UK who watch F1 live.
I'm actually not sure how such things are measured.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 98 (1st)
Pole Positions: 100 (1st)
Podiums: 169 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
Remmirath
Posts: 918
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Remmirath »

I don't believe sprint races have any place in a Grand Prix weekend aside from those sprint races that support series are engaging in. I firmly believe there should only be one race, that being the Grand Prix, and that it should actually be lengthened at this point.

I'm potentially open to changes to the qualifying format, although I actually do like the format; that's been changed a lot over the years already, and it's possible a new tweak could be better. But not spring qualifying.

On the plus side, I doubt it's going to have the effect that they're hoping for, so hopefully it'll just be quietly dropped before next season...

I'm undecided if I'll actually watch any of the sprint races on those weekends. I might just watch practice, qualy, and the race like usual and try to pretend the print race isn't happening, but I might also watch at least one of them just to see how it actually goes. I watch almost everything as a replay anyway due to time zone differences.
Image + 2020
Qualifying Prediction 2019 Champion [8 wins]
Top Three 2019 Third, Team First [Drive Sauber]
Top Three 2020 First, Team First [Drive Sauber]
Group Pick 'Em 2020 Second Place [2 wins]

User avatar
yodasarmpit
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by yodasarmpit »

Is the fear of the Sprint Race, that it might outshine the main event - free race with no artificial limits (like must use two tyre types) so should be flat out from start to finish.
Another plus - it gets rid of the need to start the race on the Q2 tyre - what utter nonsense that is.

In saying that, one of the things I've always loved about F1 was the tactical battles - not just the driving.

Siao7
Posts: 9313
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Siao7 »

yodasarmpit wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:08 am
Is the fear of the Sprint Race, that it might outshine the main event - free race with no artificial limits (like must use two tyre types) so should be flat out from start to finish.
Another plus - it gets rid of the need to start the race on the Q2 tyre - what utter nonsense that is.

In saying that, one of the things I've always loved about F1 was the tactical battles - not just the driving.
I'd think that the teams will limit the cars, they will want the engines to last for the main event.

User avatar
Alex53
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:11 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Alex53 »

I think it is worth trying. My issue with it is I thought they would add a proportional amount of available tyres.

Also, I think the points being awarded for a 1/3 distance race should be 1/3 of the points or thereabouts. Otherwise it is simply not worth the risk for most of the field to go all out, break your car, and ruin any chances of points on Sunday.

Harpo
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:26 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Harpo »

Well, this insanity will go no further than the first crash involving 2 cars of 2 front teams...
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

Siao7
Posts: 9313
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Siao7 »

Harpo wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:53 am
Well, this insanity will go no further than the first crash involving 2 cars of 2 front teams...
This would put it to bed!

Fiki
Posts: 8178
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Fiki »

Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:28 pm
Fiki wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:58 am
Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am
j man wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm
At a time when those who run football clubs showed themselves to be out of touch, self-obsessed halfwits it seems F1 was not to be outdone. I loathe this idea. Why take an aspect of F1 that works well and replace it with one that doesn't? Apparently it's what the fans want, but sadly as usual no one bothered to ask us.

I will watch the sprint race. However I will not be watching Friday qualifying as, like many people, I will be at work.
Well, if all the people who don't want this (insert pejorative) idea to be implemented watch it, it's already a lost cause.
True, but watching only the race does mean one is watching the result of this silliness. When Ross Brawn said it was a good idea, I knew we were going to have this forced upon us, no matter what.

As I recall, proper qualifying had to go because the big guns only came out for the final few minutes, when the track had been cleaned up by the "monkeys at the back". And when they came up with the present format, those monkeys were weeded out first.

Sometimes I find it hard to remember why F1 became my sport to watch. :-((
I can say that most of us who started following F1 during the previous millenium don't recognize much of what they loved, watching the current usurper. Even the cars are ugly.
What worries me even more than the "sprint" machin-chose, it's the thinking that altering the tracks is the solution to allow overtaking elsewhere than at the end of the main straight, when everybody knows the problem is the cars regulations, too long, too large, too aero-dependant, and that they went with any ridiculous device they could think of to allow overtaking at the end of the main straight (DRS, push this, pull that).
"Sprint" machin-chose... Bon Dieu, how long has it been since I heard that word used! :-D At least one good thing that came from this sprint nonsense.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Lord Crc
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Lord Crc »

I understand that the organizers want more action on fridays so that more people will buy full-weekend tickets and more snacks and whatnot. I get that part.

But a sprint race does not make sense to me at any level. However, I put my vote down as reserving judgement. Lets try it just to make sure it's terrible.

User avatar
tootsie323
Posts: 3532
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by tootsie323 »

I'm not optimistic about this format. What currently makes a GP interesting is in divergent strategies, or tyre degredation. We've observed this at Bahrain where Hamilton undercut Verstappen and Verstappen came back on fresher tyres. At Imola, Verstappen had better initial pace but Hamilton was closing the gap towards the end of the stint (unfortunately Hamilton's error prevented that one from playing out).
I don't see any opportunity for divergent strategies in a sprint quali race so suspect that it will be largely a procession.
The other thing is that in qualifying as it stands, there is a chance for a driver or two to start out of position - it just takes one blinder of a lap, or a bad lap, for this to happen. This then plays out in faster cars having to fight for position / slower cars defending in the GP. Ultimately the status quo may be restored but at least we see some overtaking going on. With the trial sprint format, this may well be restored during the sprint quali race leaving the GP grid as you were and a potentially less interesting 'main' race.
Having said that, I'm willing to see how it does play out and would be happy if proven wrong!
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Harpo
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:26 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Harpo »

Fiki wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:03 pm
Harpo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:28 pm

I can say that most of us who started following F1 during the previous millenium don't recognize much of what they loved, watching the current usurper. Even the cars are ugly.
What worries me even more than the "sprint" machin-chose, it's the thinking that altering the tracks is the solution to allow overtaking elsewhere than at the end of the main straight, when everybody knows the problem is the cars regulations, too long, too large, too aero-dependant, and that they went with any ridiculous device they could think of to allow overtaking at the end of the main straight (DRS, push this, pull that).
"Sprint" machin-chose... Bon Dieu, how long has it been since I heard that word used! :-D At least one good thing that came from this sprint nonsense.
Well, we French have a lot of words to name these "thingamabobs", truc, bidule, machin, ..., you name it. There are more "modern" wordings but I like these quaint things, that are as illustrative but less offensive.
About the sprint "bidule", I'm sure that, like any stubborn omniscient decider of our current world, they will push it to the end, even (above all, if you ask me) if it doesn't work.
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

User avatar
f1madman
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by f1madman »

I just love it when they add rules on tyres, and talk tyres. Tyres are so entertaining, tyres. Tyres and the number of tyres allocations, and the allocation of tyres and the tyres and their compounds. Tyres tyres tyres!!!

Frikking just ban tyres!
Pathfinder

User avatar
Tufty
Posts: 2324
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Tufty »

f1madman wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:47 pm
I just love it when they add rules on tyres, and talk tyres. Tyres are so entertaining, tyres. Tyres and the number of tyres allocations, and the allocation of tyres and the tyres and their compounds. Tyres tyres tyres!!!

Frikking just ban tyres!
Back to wooden cart wheels, complete with iron rivets holding the outer edge to the spokes :D
Anyone in or near North Wales interested in an RC car racing tournament?

User avatar
Mort Canard
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Location: Kansas

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Mort Canard »

I will reserve judgement till I see how this experiment goes. I want to see how things play out. I am sure that sooner or later we will end up with some very mixed up grids when there are shunts or mechanical failures in the sprint race and those drivers have to start at the back of the grid in the main event.

I am also wondering what schemes the teams will employ to get maximum advantage out of this new qualifying process.
Mission WinLater

User avatar
Tufty
Posts: 2324
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Tufty »

Perhaps a stupid question, but what will scrutineering be like? Would it be possible to sneak an underweight car into the sprint race, given the normal weighbridge mid-qualifying won't be available in this session? I assume not but this is F1, Tyrrell's lead shot springs to mind...
Anyone in or near North Wales interested in an RC car racing tournament?

User avatar
Seanie
Posts: 2909
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Seanie »

I'm cautiously optimistic about it. Provisionally it looks like the weekend has more racing action, which can only be a good thing?
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.

JN23
Posts: 3324
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by JN23 »

Don’t know if this is the right thread but the weekend format for F1 at Silverstone has been released.

FRIDAY
FP1: 1430-1530
Qualifying: 1800-1900

SATURDAY
FP2: 1200-1300
Sprint Qualifying: 1630-1700

SUNDAY
Race: 1500

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... lbbaZ.html

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by DOLOMITE »

6-7pm Fri qualifying?!! wtaf..
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Jenson's Understeer
Posts: 3745
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Re: Proposed Sprint Race weekend simple Poll

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 3:12 pm
6-7pm Fri qualifying?!! wtaf..
It's not that surprising. If they held it at the usual Saturday time, or even the usual FP2 time, the TV viewing side of things would be hurt by a lot of people being at work.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x9
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

Post Reply