Silly Season 2022

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
UnlikeUday

Silly Season 2022

Post by UnlikeUday »

The silly season for '21 was beyond silly. Shocking & surprising in many ways. Come '22, not just are the new regulations coming into force in a big way, most of the F1 drivers head into '22 with contracts ending.

Here's the current scenario:

Team = 1st Driver / 2nd Driver
Mercedes = ? / ?
Red Bull = Max Verstappen / ?
McLaren = Daniel Ricciardo / Lando Norris
Ferrari = Charles Leclerc / Carlos Sainz
Alpine = Fernando Alonso / ?
AlphaTauri = ? / ?
Aston Martin = Sebastian Vettel / Lance Stroll
Alfa Romeo = ? / ?
Williams = ? / ?
Haas = Schumacher / Mazepin
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Re: Silly Season 2022

Post by UnlikeUday »

There are lot of ifs & buts for most of the teams heading into the '22 season....

Hamilton - Will he retire or stay? It depends whether he wins his 8th title & still wishes to continue.
Bottas - This seems like Bottas' last year but could continue in Mercedes for stability for new regulations. Also depends if Hamilton stays or not & if Mercedes can't do without Russell anymore.
Verstappen - It depends again if RB & Honda collectively can give him a car this year to win his maiden title. If they fail. could he head to Mercedes?
Perez - If he does well enough he might stay. Also if Verstappen leaves, he could be the experienced driver they would need to ease the team into the era of new regulations

A lot depends just on these 4 seats as they can shake the grid.

Ocon - A lot of pressure on him as Gasly wants his seat. If Ocon is ousted, wonder where would he go.
Gasly - He wants to distance himself from RB program. Alpine looks like the most preferred team for his liking.
Vettel - He has to perform real su par to be ousted after just 1 year but I doubt AM will do so.
Raikkonen - He could retire but it depends if he wants to stay. He's not completely rusted.
Giovinazzi - A lot of pressure on him. Ferrari wanted him this year in 1 of AR seats. With Ferrari seats filled up for some time, he needs to impress to head elsewhere if AR don't retain him.
Russell - Most likely a Mercedes driver in '22 but after Imola drama,I wonder if he has hurt his chances or postponed them.
Latifi - As long as his father provides good money, he'll be there.
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

There's also a rumour that Gene Haas will be pulling out of F1 & Mazepin will buy the team. Rich Energy may be involved in this team for '22 as well.
Feel The Fourth

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Reb Bull staying the same. Kimi goes on!

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

I had a dream the other night that Lando Norris was trying to get himself the second Mercedes seat, so how about this: Lando continues to star this year versus Ricciardo, massively increasing his reputation by outperforming a driver considered to be among the best five or six in F1, while Bottas struggles and Russell makes more high profile mistakes. It leads to Mercedes approaching McLaren for Norris, and offering McLaren a discount on their engines as well as brokering a Russell-to-McLaren move as Norris' replacement.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x9
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:25 pm
I had a dream the other night that Lando Norris was trying to get himself the second Mercedes seat, so how about this: Lando continues to star this year versus Ricciardo, massively increasing his reputation by outperforming a driver considered to be among the best five or six in F1, while Bottas struggles and Russell makes more high profile mistakes. It leads to Mercedes approaching McLaren for Norris, and offering McLaren a discount on their engines as well as brokering a Russell-to-McLaren move as Norris' replacement.
Nice idea!

I had a similar-ish thought the other day. Perhaps Hamilton calls it a day at the end of the year and Merc decide it’s time for a complete change. They get Russell because he’s their junior and has shown promise on his one opportunity so far, and then they try and poach Norris from McLaren. A Russell/Norris line up would be exciting I think!

-K-

Post by -K- »

I do wonder if it’ll end up being Gasly and Russell vying for Ocon’s seat if he is beaten over the season by Alonso.

Imola may have Mercedes thinking that Russell isn’t ready for the seat and wanting him placed elsewhere as they did with Ocon when they ruled Russell out of the Merc seat for 2020 and said it was between Bottas and Ocon.

After Sakhir, there were comments that it was a short circuit, not representative and the like and the mistake he made at the weekend will have added credence to that. If George had raced for Mercedes in Abu Dhabi and performed strongly there, perhaps he wouldn’t have had such an impact on his prospects. Until the weekend I was certain George was getting that seat for 2022, now I think he only gets it if Hamilton retires or he gets to Q3 and/or points in the Williams. Mercedes might be watching Norris with interest at the moment.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

I don’t think Imola in isolation will have damaged Russell’s chances that much, if at all. It’s one race in which he was outperforming the Williams car and was challenging the fastest/equal fastest/second fastest car on the day. If something similar happens again in a few races then maybe Mercedes will start to think about whether he’s ready or not but for me, he’s still a certainty for a Mercedes seat next year.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Ted Kravitz has just said on Sky that Toto dropped a hint between FP1 and FP2 that Hamilton will be extending his contract.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

New contract for Norris

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Good to see I would say both a driver and a team that look to be going places.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 98 (1st)
Pole Positions: 100 (1st)
Podiums: 169 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

pokerman wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:10 pm
Good to see I would say both a driver and a team that look to be going places.
Do you see them winning a championship as long as Merc are around? This can be asked of most other teams, admittedly, but McLaren are never going to be champions using Merc engines as long as Merc has a works team.

I personally think Norris would have been served well by either trying for the Merc seat or the 2nd RBR seat (or even Alpine, as an outside shot), as McLaren is currently and for the foreseeable future a dead end for his championship aspirations.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

A.J. wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 3:14 pm
Do you see them winning a championship as long as Merc are around? This can be asked of most other teams, admittedly, but McLaren are never going to be champions using Merc engines as long as Merc has a works team.
McLaren have the potential to under the new regulations. The F1 management wants a return to an era where privateers can compete. The budget cap should theoretically bring the likes of Williams, McLaren and Alfa Romeo into play.

No reason why McLaren can't nail their aero why Mercedes mess up.
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:02 pm
A.J. wrote:
McLaren have the potential to under the new regulations. The F1 management wants a return to an era where privateers can compete. The budget cap should theoretically bring the likes of Williams, McLaren and Alfa Romeo into play.

I don't have a crystal ball so I sadly can't predict things accurately, but I feel reasonably confident in my assertion that unless Merc decides to pull out of the sport (and reduces its commitment as part of the phase out process) McLaren is not going to beat them over a season.

In the hybrid era, McLaren has used Merc engines (and gotten beat by Williams if I'm not mistaken), then had the disaster of a partnership with Honda, then a failed affair with Renault, and now back to Merc to complete the full circle. Doesn't look like a champion team to me anymore.

Jenson's Understeer

A.J. wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:36 pm
F1Tyrant wrote:
A.J. wrote:

I don't have a crystal ball so I sadly can't predict things accurately, but I feel reasonably confident in my assertion that unless Merc decides to pull out of the sport (and reduces its commitment as part of the phase out process) McLaren is not going to beat them over a season.

In the hybrid era, McLaren has used Merc engines (and gotten beat by Williams if I'm not mistaken), then had the disaster of a partnership with Honda, then a failed affair with Renault, and now back to Merc to complete the full circle. Doesn't look like a champion team to me anymore.
All fair points I don't think anyone would dispute, but there is also the argument that if we take the last 18 months and compare that to the 2015-2017, they're head and shoulders above where they were just five/six years ago. They were also getting the best of their supplier by the end of the partnership with Renault, and while I'm not suggesting that them beating Renault means they'll beat Mercedes, there is nothing to prevent them having the chance to beat Mercedes, particularly if the new regulations and the cost cap bring the field closer together.

I also suspect that Lando knows it's either George or Valtteri for Mercedes, in spite of my dream from earlier in the thread!
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

It's rumored Andy Cowell will be joining Red Bull power trains. Announcement may come this weekend.
Feel The Fourth

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

Wed May 19, 2021 9:56 pm
A.J. wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
A.J. wrote:

All fair points I don't think anyone would dispute, but there is also the argument that if we take the last 18 months and compare that to the 2015-2017, they're head and shoulders above where they were just five/six years ago. They were also getting the best of their supplier by the end of the partnership with Renault, and while I'm not suggesting that them beating Renault means they'll beat Mercedes, there is nothing to prevent them having the chance to beat Mercedes, particularly if the new regulations and the cost cap bring the field closer together.

I also suspect that Lando knows it's either George or Valtteri for Mercedes, in spite of my dream from earlier in the thread!
Oh they absolutely are on the up - my only question is how far high is the ceiling for them, and unfortunately it seems to always be lower than the Merc works team for me. Perhaps it was worth taking a punt on the RBR second seat or even an outsider like Alpine (Fernando won't be around very long).

Or mayhe his gamble is that Merc eventually pulls out and the partnership goes back to being the McLaren Mercedes of the late 90's/00's.

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:01 am
It's rumored Andy Cowell will be joining Red Bull power trains. Announcement may come this weekend.
Where did you read this? All I have seen is comments from Wolff saying no chance Andy Cowell is joining them.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

A.J. wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:32 am
Wed May 19, 2021 9:56 pm
A.J. wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
A.J. wrote:

Oh they absolutely are on the up - my only question is how far high is the ceiling for them, and unfortunately it seems to always be lower than the Merc works team for me. Perhaps it was worth taking a punt on the RBR second seat or even an outsider like Alpine (Fernando won't be around very long).

Or mayhe his gamble is that Merc eventually pulls out and the partnership goes back to being the McLaren Mercedes of the late 90's/00's.
I agree that McLaren are unlikely to beat Mercedes in the short term. Trouble is, I also don't see an opening at Mercedes for Norris immediately. Same for Red Bull or Ferrari. I think that McLaren is his best bet for now.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Going by the below statistic, would this be Bottas' final year at Mercedes:

Hamilton spent 1 year alongside his 1st teammate (Alonso),
2 years alongside his 2nd teammate (Kovalainen),
3 years alongside his 3rd teammate (Button),
4 years alongside his 4th teammate (Rosberg),
and is in his 5th year alongside his 5th teammate (Bottas)

Also read somewhere it's practically confirmed Russell will be in Mercedes next year & he's not replacing Hamilton.
Feel The Fourth

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:58 pm

Also read somewhere it's practically confirmed Russell will be in Mercedes next year & he's not replacing Hamilton.
Then it's also confirmed that Hamilton will spend six more years in the sport before retiring! 8O
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 20 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 6:36 pm
UnlikeUday wrote:

Then it's also confirmed that Hamilton will spend six more years in the sport before retiring! 8O
Some people are already in meltdown, I kind of fear for them if Hamilton was still to keep winning for that period of time. :)
Last edited by pokerman on Mon May 24, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Exediron wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

:lol:

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:42 pm
Exediron wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Or 13 :twisted:
Anyone in or near North Wales interested in an RC car racing tournament?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

A F1 TV presenter has claimed that from a source he knows coming out of Monaco Grand Prix, Russell will be replacing Bottas next year. The deal will be atleast for 2 years.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/85268/f1 ... ement.html
Feel The Fourth

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 2:01 pm
A F1 TV presenter has claimed that from a source he knows coming out of Monaco Grand Prix, Russell will be replacing Bottas next year. The deal will be atleast for 2 years.
Yes I've already read that source, how do they know?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

EPROM

Post by EPROM »

Tufty wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:01 am
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:42 pm
Exediron wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Or 13 :twisted:
If Rosberg hadn't retired that year, but waited one more, we could have gone with the Fibonacci sequence instead... :-P

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

pokerman wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:11 pm
UnlikeUday wrote:
Sounds like the most likely outcome anyway though.
Anyone in or near North Wales interested in an RC car racing tournament?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Tufty wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:56 am
pokerman wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:11 pm
UnlikeUday wrote:
Sounds like the most likely outcome anyway though.
First of all it was said in the source that it was common knowledge in the paddock so why is this the only journalist that is saying this?

That being said I fully agree I also think that Bottas will be replaced by Russell next season.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Three year contract for Ocon at Alpine. That’s a big commitment from them.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

JN23 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:52 pm
This removes a big thorn for Russell when trying to claim the seat for '22 at Mercedes.
Feel The Fourth

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Ocon's three year deal is an interesting one. Big commitment from both parties. I was more expecting a 1+1 giving both the option to see the lay of the land in 2022.

Jenson's Understeer

JN23 wrote:
Could still end up at Mercedes next year if they want him, though...

(This post may be tongue-in-cheek and 100% for Pokerman only ;))

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Maybe this paves the way for Russell announcement!
Feel The Fourth

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:20 pm
JN23 wrote:
Could still end up at Mercedes next year if they want him, though...

(This post may be tongue-in-cheek and 100% for Pokerman only ;))
Yeah I thought about posting something, a strange thing to do with an option let the driver compete for a rival manufacturer for what will be 5 years now, surely Mercedes were in the ascendency to say we can't be having that, we might need him. :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:04 pm
Maybe this paves the way for Russell announcement!
I don't believe that Ocon was ever blocking what might happen with Russell.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition