Please read the forum rules
F1_Ernie

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna (Imola) Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by F1_Ernie »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:49 pm
Invade wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:46 pm
It's a shame in a sense that we didn't see how that would have played out at the front. Perhaps Lewis and Max would have both been swapping overtakes.
I get the distinct sense it would have played out like the 2019 Hungarian Grand Prix and Hamilton would have squeaked past Max for the win. The Mercedes was the faster car in the cooler conditions and had better tyre deg.

Max wins in not-the-fastest car on the day matched Sir Lewis' feat in Bahrain.
Max would have won the race, I dont even think Lewis would have got into DRS range let alone an overtake.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

I think Mercedes will be much happier with this result. SC, Red flag helped Hamilton to get to P2 in the end which I think was going to be the best result for them anyways. So even after 2 races Mercedes are in decent position.
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:00 pm
I think Mercedes will be much happier with this result. SC, Red flag helped Hamilton to get to P2 in the end which I think was going to be the best result for them anyways. So even after 2 races Mercedes are in decent position.
I agree. Despite the thrill of winning, Max will be frustrated that Lewis managed to finish second and get the fastest lap.
Instagram @italian_car_pictures

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:43 pm
pokerman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:39 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:32 pm
pokerman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:30 pm
tootsie323 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:23 pm

Think that Macca is pretty decent in a straight line. Took Hamilton a few laps to make DRS stick on Norris.
So we tailor the DRS to the cars that need passing, you get my point?
No, we get rid of DRS altogether.
Then on this track there would be no overtaking, I wait with bated breath when this issue rears it's head again.
This is why I, along with many others, favour brakes that are much less effective and of course, better aero to allow cars to follow much closer.
Hopefully the new breed of cars will allow for better racing, in the meantime without DRS you would get worse racing as in virtually no overtaking, who remembers the Trulli trains of the past, I have to wonder how long some people have been watching F1, the ones that criticise DRS so much, F1 was in reality in years gone by very boring in respect to cars overtaking one another.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 98 (1st)
Pole Positions: 100 (1st)
Podiums: 169 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:01 pm
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
I agree. Despite the thrill of winning, Max will be frustrated that Lewis managed to finish second and get the fastest lap.
Yes, and it was Perez' duty to come in second and prevent Hamilton from keeping the wdc lead.

Even Bottas has more points than Perez atm.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

pokerman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:06 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:30 pm

So we tailor the DRS to the cars that need passing, you get my point?
Then on this track there would be no overtaking, I wait with bated breath when this issue rears it's head again.
This is why I, along with many others, favour brakes that are much less effective and of course, better aero to allow cars to follow much closer.
Hopefully the new breed of cars will allow for better racing, in the meantime without DRS you would get worse racing as in virtually no overtaking, who remembers the Trulli trains of the past, I have to wonder how long some people have been watching F1, the ones that criticise DRS so much, F1 was in reality in years gone by very boring in respect to cars overtaking one another.
For info, the first season I have a decent memory of is 1986.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

And Bernd Mayländer wins the race again. :-(

Apart from the stupid SC rules that throw away all the hard work a driver has done, is there a case to be made for faster SCs, assuming race fans really want to keep one to spice up poor races? It seems to me too many drivers fail to keep sufficient temperature in their tyres to follow the SC without problems. And at the track where Senna complained of too slow a SC to boot...

What a depressing state of affairs. This is almost as silly as Canada 2011.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Fiki wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:11 pm

Apart from the stupid SC rules that throw away all the hard work a driver has done, is there a case to be made for faster SCs, assuming race fans really want to keep one to spice up poor races? It seems to me too many drivers fail to keep sufficient temperature in their tyres to follow the SC without problems. And at the track where Senna complained of too slow a SC to boot...

SLOW ZONES!!!!!

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

pokerman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:20 pm
Hamilton has just taken it to new levels, normally people only get salty when he wins, he needs penalising, the SC rule stinks, DRS stinks, DRS has a habit of coming up more when used by Hamilton.
Jeez - calm your persecution complex down!

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:01 pm
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
I wouldn’t say they’d be happier with the result. More of a ‘get out of jail free’ thanks to a huge slice of luck. When Max starting third keeps it together and beats Lewis on pole, you’ve got to say that’s a better result for Max and Red Bull. Plus Merc will be much more concerned with Bottas’ weekend than Perez, who qualified well and was set for a decent points haul until his spin on a damp track.

FL is always a bit of a lottery and I believe that was the lap Lewis got DRS overtaking Norris, that’s just how it goes I guess.
I remember when this website was all fields.

schumilegend

Post by schumilegend »

A.J. wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:31 pm
pokerman wrote:
Hamilton has just taken it to new levels, normally people only get salty when he wins, he needs penalising, the SC rule stinks, DRS stinks, DRS has a habit of coming up more when used by Hamilton.
Guy is a complete joke accusing others of bias when he is quite clearly the most biased...Amusing to see it play out :lol:

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

A.J. wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I think that what Pokeman is missing is the fact that some people, myself included, want to see one of the greatest ever F1 drivers win/do well, without needing lucky SCs, DRS etc. He is a phenomenal driver but like anyone else, passing with ease because of a button on the wheel isn't showing him off in a good way. This isn't his fault of course, but don't we all want to see the best of the best fighting without those kinds of things. When a driver wins so many races and spends so many races out front, getting the chance to watch them fight through the field is exciting. This excitement us reduced for me when his passing isn't much of a challenge for him. I guess this perhaps highlights the issue of DRS when it's one of the best using it.

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

JN23 wrote:
Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:41 pm
pokerman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:33 pm
schumilegend wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:26 pm
F1Tyrant wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:56 pm
Hamilton is crazy lucky.
It’s unbelievable the amount of good fortune he has had in this run .. well it all evens out .. I expect the end of his career to even it all out
I think a lot of bad luck happened earlier in his career but I admit it's probably on the good side now.
Is that Glock?
I don't know if that's good luck? I'd argue Hamilton was unlucky it rained, as he was running fairly comfortably in P4 at that point. McLaren made the right call to switch to inters which secured him P5, Toyota did not (although I think they gained positions overall).
To be honest yeah I don't know much about that race, so I could be wrong like you say - just first thing that came to mind with Hamilton and luck in his early career
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Invade

Post by Invade »

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:37 pm
JN23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
schumilegend wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:26 pm

It’s unbelievable the amount of good fortune he has had in this run .. well it all evens out .. I expect the end of his career to even it all out
I think a lot of bad luck happened earlier in his career but I admit it's probably on the good side now.
Is that Glock?
I don't know if that's good luck? I'd argue Hamilton was unlucky it rained, as he was running fairly comfortably in P4 at that point. McLaren made the right call to switch to inters which secured him P5, Toyota did not (although I think they gained positions overall).
To be honest yeah I don't know much about that race, so I could be wrong like you say - just first thing that came to mind with Hamilton and luck in his early career
Do you know about all of Schumacher's races?

I remember there was an anti-Schumacher website, and the funny thing was it was a great resource for actually getting an overview of all races Schumacher took part in. One man's* absolute hatred of another led to them creating one of the ultimate Schumacher resources. The site is no longer, tho.

*Or maybe it was a group effort - not sure.

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

Another sign of inter-team orders at Merc/Williams: https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/18/rus ... des-wolff/

Why should the Merc team principle be suggesting that a driver from another team should not battle their guys hard? Same goes for AT/RBR really, but at least they are the same company - Merc and Williams aren't. Are we to expect the AMR/Williams driver to never fight the Mercs?

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Invade wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:52 pm
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:37 pm
JN23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Is that Glock?
Do you know about all of Schumacher's races?

I remember there was an anti-Schumacher website, and the funny thing was it was a great resource for actually getting an overview of all races Schumacher took part in. One man's* absolute hatred of another led to them creating one of the ultimate Schumacher resources. The site is no longer, tho.

*Or maybe it was a group effort - not sure.
:lol: Maybe it still exists somewhere but beyond the realm of a Goole search

To answer your question, no, I'd have a lot to learn still
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:27 pm
Fiki wrote:

SLOW ZONES!!!!!
I've seen them in WEC, but I'm confused as they also still use the SC. And I doubt their SC is faster.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Invade

Post by Invade »

What I like the most is how Max is saying it's a long season, stay calm - he's grounding the entire situation of the potential Championship fight. Asked (I think post qualy in the presser) about whether it was important to beat Lewis in the race, he just responded with those general sentiments. And he repeated them in the post race presser more or less. It's way too early in the season, media - so calm the quack down.

Meanwhile, Lewis today was very impatient when there was a long race ahead of him not once, but twice.

Lewis was at a million mph today, whereas Max was generally cool, calm and collected.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

Invade wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:59 pm
What I like the most is how Max is saying it's a long season, stay calm - he's grounding the entire situation of the potential Championship fight.
It's quite ominous for Hamilton as Verstappen is a champion in waiting. In all probability, reliability will decide the title more than driver ability so Max is right to be circumspect. Although, even he will be a touch annoyed he hasn't got a 10-18 point lead in the title race.

It's going to be a vintage year but you feel Max needs to build a lead for when Mercedes start winning the development race. Then again, Schumacher didn't win in 2006 due to... reliability!
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

JN23

Post by JN23 »

There's no guarantee Mercedes win the development race. Red Bull are very good at that as well.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Bottas and Russell: no further action

Raikkonen: 30 second penalty. After his spin, he was allowed to retake his position but if he didn't make it back to his original position he should have gone back to the pit lane. Which he didn't.

Stroll: 5 second penalty & 1 penalty point. He overtook Gasly off track on lap 11. No idea why it wasn't picked up at the time and the penalty point seems harsh.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:28 pm
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Then why can't you remember these things, people use to complain about how boring F1 was because of the lack of overtaking and often would compare it to Indycars which was seen as being far better in that respect.

Max Mosley's response was to compare football with basketball, saying something along the lines that you may only see 1 goal but that would have much impact then watching a 100 baskets being scored.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Fiki wrote:

Hey that's Jenson Button's greatest win. :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

A.J. wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I'm just stating the obvious and it's been flagged up elsewhere, the unlapping rule has now come under question, it only needs Hamilton to benefit from a rule.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

I'm absolutely delighted for Lando Norris, McLaren now third team above Ferrari and Norris third place in the WDC. He might have held on to second if he hadn't had a slipping clutch. To leave Ricciardo in his wake was a bit of a surprise. He will surely sneak a win of some sort this season! :proud:

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Fiki wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:58 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:27 pm
Fiki wrote:

SLOW ZONES!!!!!
I've seen them in WEC, but I'm confused as they also still use the SC. And I doubt their SC is faster.
There are still times where they need to use a safety car, but for a lot of incidents, slow zones allow the racing to continue around 90% of the circuit and the cars slow to pit-lane limits where the incident is. This protects the tyre temperature along with keeping us entertained as the racing basically keeps going.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

pokerman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:41 pm
A.J. wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I'm just stating the obvious and it's been flagged up elsewhere, the unlapping rule has now come under question, it only needs Hamilton to benefit from a rule.
Maybe you only really notice things cropping up when it involves Hamilton. Just a thought.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

pokerman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:37 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Then why can't you remember these things, people use to complain about how boring F1 was because of the lack of overtaking and often would compare it to Indycars which was seen as being far better in that respect.

Max Mosley's response was to compare football with basketball, saying something along the lines that you may only see 1 goal but that would have much impact then watching a 100 baskets being scored.
I do remember those things. A near-total lack of passing is boring, but I don't really get more entertainment from cars cruising past because they have DRS enabled.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:46 pm
pokerman wrote:
A.J. wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Maybe you only really notice things cropping up when it involves Hamilton. Just a thought.
Like I say let's see the consistency in future, I will look out for it.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:48 pm
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

I do remember those things. A near-total lack of passing is boring, but I don't really get more entertainment from cars cruising past because they have DRS enabled.
I would venture today that without DRS in the dry there would have been no overtaking, it comes across as it being a crime for a much faster car to be able to benefit from it, it seemed much more of a problem for cars with less of a performance delta.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

pokerman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:49 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
A.J. wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Like I say let's see the consistency in future, I will look out for it.
Of that, I have no doubt.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Despite retiring the car, Vettel finished ahead of the Russian Flag-duo!

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
A.J. wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Unlapping rule is required when it’s a red flag. SC is debatable though. Today, Stroll running 7th was not too far behind 6th place man. But Stroll had been lapped and 6th place man had not. Stroll would have gone from not too far behind 6th place man, to a lap behind him.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

pokerman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:54 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I would venture today that without DRS in the dry there would have been no overtaking, it comes across as it being a crime for a much faster car to be able to benefit from it, it seemed much more of a problem for cars with less of a performance delta.
I don't recall either Alonso's or Schumacher's victories at this track (2005 and 2006), both able to keep a faster car behind for a large chunk of the race, being criticized as boring. DRS takes the defence away from a driver at every track, depending on how well its use is judged by the FIA pre-race.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Fiki wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:05 pm
pokerman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:54 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

I don't recall either Alonso's or Schumacher's victories at this track (2005 and 2006), both able to keep a faster car behind for a large chunk of the race, being criticized as boring. DRS takes the defence away from a driver at every track, depending on how well its use is judged by the FIA pre-race.
The defence point is excellent. Drivers don't even bother to defend when a car is close and then has DRS. They just know it's pointless.

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

Mercedes seem to have a mighty race car, I think they will leave Imola happy about the rest of the season. Leaving Bahrain there was question marks over the race pace and if Red Bull had a diff issue losing them pace. The Mercedes seemed quicker today, all baring Hamiltons tentative opening 1.5 laps.

Hamilton set a fastest lap 0.8 quicker than Verstappen. Was that with DRS?

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Johnson wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:17 pm
Mercedes seem to have a mighty race car, I think they will leave Imola happy about the rest of the season. Leaving Bahrain there was question marks over the race pace and if Red Bull had a diff issue losing them pace. The Mercedes seemed quicker today, all baring Hamiltons tentative opening 1.5 laps.

Was Verstappen pushing at this part of the race?

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

Johnson wrote:

Yeah, that was the lap where Hamilton steamed past Norris with slipstream and DRS

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Johnson wrote:

I’m slightly worried about the big change in the car’s performance from hot to cold conditions. I imagine it’ll be closer to hot than cold most of the time.

LBET

Post by LBET »

Great race today. I'm very happy that the rain revealed some of the many things that could do with redress. Much, if not all, of the whingery in this thread really points to the issues with the technical regulations.

Shout out to Lance for a really good performance. I wonder what would cause BOTH of their cars to eat their own rear brakes?

Drivers of the day? Yuki, Mazepin and Checo! (just kidding).