2021 Emilia Romagna (Imola) Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
UnlikeUday

2021 Emilia Romagna (Imola) Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

What a race in prospect we have for tomorrow!!!!

Source - Imgur
Last edited by UnlikeUday on Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel The Fourth

Asphalt_World

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna (Imola) Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Asphalt_World »

Does anyone know the kind of percentage chance of rain making an appearance in the race tomorrow?
Instagram @italian_car_pictures

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:26 pm
Does anyone know the kind of percentage chance of rain making an appearance in the race tomorrow?
Says about 30% on Google weather but it's suppose to be a dry race,
Great Quotes of the 20th Century

"You think I know f**k all.... I know f**k nothing" - Anonymous Maltese construction worker's response to being told he doesn't know how to do his job.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

Jezza13 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:36 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:26 pm
Says about 30% chance of rain in the area tomorrow on Google weather but it's suppose to be a dry race,
Great Quotes of the 20th Century

"You think I know f**k all.... I know f**k nothing" - Anonymous Maltese construction worker's response to being told he doesn't know how to do his job.

Steve_muzzy

Post by Steve_muzzy »

With overtaking being really hard I think strategy will be everything tomorrow.

Bearing that in mind anything but a Red Bull win will be a surprise, 2 cars which can do different strategies should defeat Lewis..should.......

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Should be easy for Red Bull to do an aggressive undercut coupled with an aggressive overcut in order to sandwich Hamilton later in the race.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

All this assumes that the only cars racing are Mercedes and Red Bull and also that Perez rolls over and lets Verstappen past. Are we confident that will happen? Safety cars and collisions change everything, and there isn't much between any of the teams this year, anything could happen!

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

Here’s a direct comparison between Hamilton and Perez’s qualifying laps;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2021/ ... magna.html

Schermerhorn

Post by Schermerhorn »

Darn I was hoping for a wet race. Dry races tend to be too predictable.
You’re not in a fight until there’s pressure. Resistance. Overcoming something. Otherwise, it’s just an exhibition.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

KingVoid wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:26 am
Here’s a direct comparison between Hamilton and Perez’s qualifying laps;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2021/ ... magna.html
No wonder Checo was upset. He was ahead of Hamilton till the last 2 corners. RB is quite mega in the 2nd sector. Checo put in a great lap at a tougher circuit (Imola) when compared to Bahrain. I know he went on mediums but he's adapting to the RB16B quite well.
Feel The Fourth

Good_Year

Post by Good_Year »

Perez is starting on the soft tyres is he not?

I know the merc likes the mediums but checo should have the early pace advantage assuming a clean getaway.

If Hamilton leads then he'll have a dilemma, drive fast and open up the field but risk giving red bull nice gaps for the under cut.

Or drive a bit slower but risk the overcut or have the red bull 2 second stop beat the Merc 3 second.

And If red bull ask Checo to move over for max, then may god have mercy on the mods.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Good news is that very little chance for rain today.

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Perez best chance is to beat Hamilton off the line and try to pull a gap with his soft tyres otherwise I think he will not be in the fight with other two drivers. Since overtaking on track is unlikely the pits stop, SC is going to decide the race. So whichever car is in front should win the race. The track is good but hopefully there will be at least some overtakings :-|
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

Option or Prime

Won't Hamilton simply try to retain his pole then just pit before Red Bull so that he retains track position at the end then let his ability to manage tyres work at the end.
If it's Mercedes v Red Bull that is.

Good_Year

Post by Good_Year »

Actually Bottas Could Impact the front today.

It assumes that he gets a good clean getaway and the Merc has a substantial pace advantage on the cars 4th-7th, (LeClerc will be the most difficult, one would expect).

Anyway if Valtteri gets up to 4th he could be right in the gap where Red Bull wants to pit, (I'm assuming he will be down the road rather than a few seconds off the lead) and Could Ruin Red Bull's Undercut attempt.

But then again, if Bottas clears the Ferrari, Red Bull may pit Perez Immediately.

Oh god, I am ALL IN on the tactical potential of this race today. (cue lights to flag bore-e-thon, soz gus :lol: )

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:58 am
Perez best chance is to beat Hamilton off the line and try to pull a gap with his soft tyres otherwise I think he will not be in the fight with other two drivers. Since overtaking on track is unlikely the pits stop, SC is going to decide the race. So whichever car is in front should win the race. The track is good but hopefully there will be at least some overtakings :-|
It's a great circuit for the drivers - less so for the viewing public, as you mention, overtaking is likely to be at a premium. I agree that track position will be king - whoever gets to T1 first should hold the advantage. Not dismissing the fact that RB have alternate strategies available.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Does anyone have Pirelli's suggested best three tyre strategies yet ?

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Just watched Qualifiying back and the replay. And there was something I saw. Ever so brief and blink and you will miss it. And it was not picked up by sky.
Im calling it now. There is gonna be some fireworks with lewis and max. There is tension. Wheyher its today. Or at some point during the season. But something is going to happen. Much like prost and senna.
So what I saw. When they were talking to Davide valsechi in the interviews. When max finnished his interview and was walking back to checo and that ate they were hanging around. Lewis and max banged into each other. Max was barging him out the way a bit. Shoulder to shoulder. Max didnt look back. Lewis looked back and then had a face like thunder over it. It did not look like a accident. It looked like it was on purpose as well. Sending a message.
It looked like there was no talking between them all as well and it seemed that Lewis was talking to checo. And max is playing head games. It's not the usual post Qualifiying or post race chat you would have expected between the top 3.
Maybe I've read too much into it. But I have a feeling something big is going to happen and we could end up with some coming together. Whether it's at today's race. Or later on when the title race hits up even more

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

And can we please just call the race what it should be called and what we all know this grand prix to be.

The San Marino grand prix.

Invade

Post by Invade »

wire2004 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:53 am
Just watched Qualifiying back and the replay. And there was something I saw. Ever so brief and blink and you will miss it. And it was not picked up by sky.
Im calling it now. There is gonna be some fireworks with lewis and max. There is tension. Wheyher its today. Or at some point during the season. But something is going to happen. Much like prost and senna.
So what I saw. When they were talking to Davide valsechi in the interviews. When max finnished his interview and was walking back to checo and that ate they were hanging around. Lewis and max banged into each other. Max was barging him out the way a bit. Shoulder to shoulder. Max didnt look back. Lewis looked back and then had a face like thunder over it. It did not look like a accident. It looked like it was on purpose as well. Sending a message.
It looked like there was no talking between them all as well and it seemed that Lewis was talking to checo. And max is playing head games. It's not the usual post Qualifiying or post race chat you would have expected between the top 3.
Maybe I've read too much into it. But I have a feeling something big is going to happen and we could end up with some coming together. Whether it's at today's race. Or later on when the title race hits up even more
LOL no. Hamilton was like the proudest peacock getting himself in the way on the way to the interview, barely making an effort to look back and then turning back around still wearing his smug, proud expression.

There was no face of thunder which could be seen by us from the angle we've got, just a guy in his own world feeling on top of the world who may or may not have been looking for a bit of contact. Verstappen is the one who seemed to show some (very trivial) contrition at the 'accident' given the angle we've got to look at. Lewis is just feeling like a boss right now.

As for whether they will have an incident, well I can almost guarantee you there will certainly be fireworks between them throughout the season. 22 races to go and they're the two protagonists in evenly matched cars. What the heck do you suppose is gonna happen then...

It happened between Hamilton and Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso, Hamilton and Rosberg, ... so why wouldn't it between Hamilton and Verstappen.

https://streamable.com/meuz3e

~2:40

Good_Year

Post by Good_Year »

wire2004 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:53 am

Think from the 2nd link you can see max hold his arm up in apology.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Yeaaaa... that's a whole load of nothing
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Option or Prime

Agree, nothing at all, Lewis was looking down zipping his overalls, Max can be angry sometimes but I think he is calming down a bit now anyway. Rivalry sure but nastiness, I really don't think so!

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Good_Year wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:40 am

It assumes that he gets a good clean getaway and the Merc has a substantial pace advantage on the cars 4th-7th, (LeClerc will be the most difficult, one would expect).

Anyway if Valtteri gets up to 4th he could be right in the gap where Red Bull wants to pit, (I'm assuming he will be down the road rather than a few seconds off the lead) and Could Ruin Red Bull's Undercut attempt.

But then again, if Bottas clears the Ferrari, Red Bull may pit Perez Immediately.

Oh god, I am ALL IN on the tactical potential of this race today. (cue lights to flag bore-e-thon, soz gus :lol: )
Infact,I feel Bottas could struggle. Whenever he's deep within the grid, he finds it hard to overtake & loses more time. On top of that, Mercedes car doesn't behave well behind other cars.
Feel The Fourth

Invade

Post by Invade »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:29 am
Good_Year wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:40 am

Infact,I feel Bottas could struggle. Whenever he's deep within the grid, he finds it hard to overtake & loses more time. On top of that, Mercedes car doesn't behave well behind other cars.
I can imagine Bottas overpressing today. Apparently, he still wants to be the champ.

He needs to make some plays.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Probable pit strategies:

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Mazepin surely ain't making any friends in the paddock....

He first ruined Giovinazzi's lap & forgot about respect. When he was asked about this incident by a female reporter, he was plain rude. This is how it went:
“What happened between you and Antonio [Giovinazzi] at the track?” Brazilian journalist Mariana Becker asked, to which Mazepin flatly replied: “I guess I overtook him.”
Feel The Fourth

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:00 pm
Mazepin surely ain't making any friends in the paddock....

He first ruined Giovinazzi's lap & forgot about respect. When he was asked about this incident by a female reporter, he was plain rude. This is how it went:
“What happened between you and Antonio [Giovinazzi] at the track?” Brazilian journalist Mariana Becker asked, to which Mazepin flatly replied: “I guess I overtook him.”
He hasn't ever come across as a charming chap! Would be less of an issue if he was at least looking quick. So far, he's looked anything but.

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Looks pretty dark out there at the moment.

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:31 am
Probable pit strategies:

Source - Imgur

Thanks.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

It's currently raining at Imola.

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Rain has arrived.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

https://trackweather.live/formula1/italian-grand-prix

Still reckons only a 11% chance when the race starts
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

It is "raining" - most likely a small shower.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

It's raining but not heavily. The weather is quite cool so we won't see the track dry soon enough when it stops raingin. In the wet, this tack will bite even harder if making a mistake. Also 1 SC for sure due to gravel taps & grass ended walls.
Feel The Fourth

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Watching the Moto GP, it is interesting to hear that in quali, times were deleted for going outside track limits and this was judged, in situations where it wasn't very clear, by pressure pads put just outside track limits. This sounds a fine idea to me.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Well this is an odd situation. The track is soaking but only in a small section. Full wets are going to get burnt out in one lap but needed to get through the wet bit.

Start will be delayed I'm sure.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Some areass on the track are wetter than the others.

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

JN23

Post by JN23 »

ALonso in the wall. Back to the pits now.

Anyone catch what Verstappen said on the team radio that Sky played?

Option or Prime

Thats a bit more than moisture!