Abiteboul leaves renault.

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
wire2004

Abiteboul leaves renault.

Post by wire2004 »

As reported on pitpass. ESPN. Motorsports.com and others.
Cyril Abiteboul has left renault/Alpine racing effectively immediately.

I personally didnt see this coming. I expected ferrari to have a massive clear out after a terrible 2019. But renault were on the up. 3 podiums and a resurgence was in the offering and a competitive package. Along with Fernando rejoining the formula 1 circus.

Who would be avaliable at this late stage to replace Abiteboul.
Alain prost maybe promoted to team manager. He is at the races anyway and seems to have a influence on the team.

Thoughts

DOLOMITE

Re: Abiteboul leaves renault.

Post by DOLOMITE »

I don't think anyone saw this one coming tbh. I can't anywhere if any reasons have been suggested, anyone got any ideas?
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

They have Marcin Budkowski and hired Davide Brivio from the Suzuki Moto GP team weeks ago... We didn't see it coming but it certainly isn't as "immediate" as it seems to be.
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

While I didn't see it coming right now, I see this largely as a positive for Renault. Their "resurgence" last year was largely down to Ferrari not being there - chances of someone being on the podium are a lot lower when there are already 6 faster cars, which was not the case last year thanks to Ferrari dropping the ball. If anything they have been stagnating for the last few years, and last year even McLaren (and definitely RP) looked better than Renault overall.

Abiteboul has been around long enough and needs to shoulder responsibility for their eventual performance - this surely isn't some out of the blue change that came about. Might also have something to do with the ouster of Carlos Ghosn - a new executive management team tends to get new executives (their own) in the top positions, partly to avoid conflicting interests with entrenched execs. No need to feel sorry for Abiteboul, as I doubt his ouster comes without a generous severance.

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

I don't think it's that big a surprise, tbh. Given the budget and the resources they have, getting to 4th but then dropping back to 5th place two years in a row really isn't any kind of an achievement. Particularly when you look at the context:

2018: 4th place represented an improvement on 6th the previous year, but just 11 points clear of the combined total Force India/Racing Point scored, in spite of that being a team in turmoil. Renault also benefitted from the fact that McLaren were, at this point, still recovering from the mess that they had become during the Honda days, while this year was the start of Williams' departure to the back of the field. IMO this wasn't a 'good' 4th place in the sense that they were a long, long way off the top three teams, failed to finish higher than 5th in a race all season, and still almost managed to miss what was essentially an open goal to finish 4th.

2019: Went backwards from 2018, finishing below their one and only customer team. Still no podium finish, made worse by McLaren getting back onto the rostrum first.

2020: A step forward in terms of results and points, but once again 5th in the WCC and once again below their customer team. Three podiums was a highlight but when you think that both Racing Point and AlphaTauri won a race, and Ferrari also had three trips to the podium, it sort of lessens that as an achievement. There is also an argument that like in 2018, they benefitted from a team (Ferrari) falling below them, rather than Renault moving up the order because they'd made significant steps forward.

To me at least, it doesn't feel like they've done anything to justify Abiteboul keeping his job. In the last three seasons, have they actually overtaken another team because they've improved, or has it always been because other teams have had things that have negatively impacted their performance? I know you can only beat what's in front of you and perhaps they deserve more credit for it, but again, with the budget they have is that enough?

I'd also mention the Daniel Ricciardo situation. Getting him from Red Bull was a huge coup, undoubtedly the highlight of Abiteboul's time with the team. The fact that after just one year with the team, he'd made up his mind that he had a better shot at success elsewhere was a pretty damning indictment.

If anything, looking back at it the only surprise was that there wasn't more speculation about whether Abiteboul would keep his job.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Abiteboul's track record at Renault isn't good and his reputation within F1 in respect to his level of competence isn't good either, in respect to this comes the disrespectful changing of his name from Cyril Abiteboul to Squirrel Irritable by Christian Horner.

I heard rumour that what helped him in F1 was marrying into the Renault hierarchy and to this end he still will be working within the Renault organisation, I heard as head of the Alpine sports cars.

I quite like the interaction he had with Ricciardo last year but couldn't help feel that what was driving the team forward was Ricciardo rather than Abiteboul and now Ricciardo has left.

I would be guessing that the tattoo now probably doesn't get done. :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:55 pm

I heard rumour that what helped him in F1 was marrying into the Renault hierarchy and to this end he still will be working within the Renault organisation, I heard as head of the Alpine sports cars.
No, he is leaving Renault. He had been appointed head of the Alpine brand, and he was/would have been if not leaving Renault.
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

Schermerhorn

Post by Schermerhorn »

There's a rumour that he left because he didn't want to get the tattoo that Ricciardo chose for him ;)
You’re not in a fight until there’s pressure. Resistance. Overcoming something. Otherwise, it’s just an exhibition.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Harpo wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:02 pm
pokerman wrote:

No, he is leaving Renault. He had been appointed head of the Alpine brand, and he was/would have been if not leaving Renault.
That sounds like he chose to leave?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:48 pm
Harpo wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I don't know... But he had been appointed as head of Alpine months ago when it was announced that the sport cars division, and as a result the F1 team, would be named Alpine. So he could have left the F1 team and still be the head of Alpine sport cars. He leaves Renault (or is ousted), so he is no more working within the Renault organisation.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Harpo wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:12 pm
pokerman wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:48 pm
Harpo wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I don't know... But he had been appointed as head of Alpine months ago when it was announced that the sport cars division, and as a result the F1 team, would be named Alpine. So he could have left the F1 team and still be the head of Alpine sport cars. He leaves Renault (or is ousted), so he is no more working within the Renault organisation.
Apparently he's worked for Renault since leaving university so it's going to be a big adjustment for him.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

Abiteboul is quite a sharp guy, just not Team Principal material IMPO as has been evident in every top role he's held since arriving in F1. Furthermore, his antics and behavior that ended up with him one-upping Horner and Red Bull when he signed Ricciardo away from them, and the noticeable gratification he exuded when Horner finally found out painted him in a very ugly and vindictive light. It was apparent he was more focused on pulling that move off to spite Horner and Red Bull than he was on helping his team improve.

THAT didn't sit well with me and I found it quite distasteful, but since I really don't like the guy, it could be a bias based sentiment on my part.

No one knows what this new Alpine rebrand and re-righting of the ship movement will mean for Renault, but we will know soon enough, and then we might know a little something about Abiteboul's ability to lead an organization better. For me however, being as this is the old Renault Team who then were rebranded Lotus and becoming severely cash strapped, under Boullier, the team performed much like Racing Point always has and consistently punched far above their weight. In Grosjean's last season with them they weren't terrible while being so cash strapped that they couldn't afford to buy the materials to make more front wings and were running old, battered, and bruised wings they patched up to be able to run.

After Boullier's departure the team immediately began to drop back in the order. His absence was immediately felt and I say this as someone who initially thought the guy was in over his head. He pleasantly surprised me in the best way and it was unfair how he got so much blame for McLaren's woes during his stint with them. Their decline is suggestive that what we thought about Abiteboul before landing at Renault is true.

Good luck to him, but I think this might be the right decision for Renault/Alpine, especially given Davide Brivio's success record, but time will tell.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA