PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Abu Dhabi 2020

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Which driver won each intra-team battle in Abu Dhabi?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:18 pm

Hamilton
1%
Bottas
9%
Leclerc
9%
Vettel
1%
Verstappen
10%
Albon
No votes
Sainz
2%
Norris
9%
Ricciardo
11%
Ocon
No votes
Gasly
9%
Kvyat
2%
Perez
7%
Stroll
No votes
Raikkonen
9%
Giovinazzi
1%
Magnussen
10%
Fittipaldi
No votes
Russell
10%
Latifi
2%

Total votes: 115

Jenson's Understeer

PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Abu Dhabi 2020

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Here we go, for the last time in 2020 and with one TMW still left to be settled... the Abu Dhabi 2020 PF1 TMW vote. Better late than never!

With three of the ten season long TMW scores unaffected by different line-ups at Mercedes, Haas and Williams, the seven other intrateam battles saw a day for some of those who have struggled to shine. Vettel, Ocon, Kvyat and Giovinazzi all took the TMW win, with only Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez among the usual victors to extend their leads. Most importantly, Carlos Sainz ensured the McLaren TMW vote will be a winner-takes-all affair as he levelled things up at 8-8. With the Spaniard holding a significant advantage in terms of percentage, one that won't be overturned in a single vote, he holds the tiebreaker between the two and so only a Norris TMW win would be enough for the young Brit.

Other than that, there isn't a great deal left to be determined. Thanks in part to Lewis missing the Sakhir race, Max is now confirmed as the driver to have won the most TMW votes this year with 15, while his percentage lead is unlikely to be matched either.

I'll post the results for the season at some point in the New Year after the poll has ended, and then I'll (probably) be back with the usual TMW prediction threads for each set of teammates shortly after.

Sakhir GP Vote Results

Mercedes: Russell wins with 94% of the vote (16-1)
Ferrari: Vettel wins with 82% of the vote (14-3)
Red Bull: Verstappen wins with 75% of the vote (12-4)
McLaren: Sainz wins with 100% of the vote (17-0)
Renault: Ocon wins with 88% of the vote (14-2)
AlphaTauri: Kvyat wins with 88% of the vote (14-2)
Racing Point: Perez wins with 100% of the vote (17-0)
Alfa Romeo: Giovinazzi wins with 71% of the vote (10-4)
Haas: Magnussen wins with 100% of the vote (16-0)
Williams: Latifi wins with 67% of the vote (10-5)

Season Scores

Mercedes: Hamilton leads 13-2 (with 86% of the season vote)
Ferrari: Leclerc leads 10-6 (with 62% of the season vote)
Red Bull: Verstappen leads 15-1 (with 92% of the season vote)
McLaren: Norris and Sainz are tied 8-8 (Sainz leads with 58% of the season vote)
Renault: Ricciardo leads 13-3 (with 82% of the season vote)
AlphaTauri: Gasly leads 11-4 (with 69% of the season vote)
Racing Point: Perez leads 10-3 (with 72% of the season vote)
Alfa Romeo: Raikkonen leads 11-5 (with 75% of the season vote)
Haas: Magnussen leads 9-6 (with 61% of the season vote)
Williams: Russell leads 12-2 (with 80% of the season vote)

TMW Winners for 2020

Max Verstappen
Daniel Ricciardo
George Russell
Lewis Hamilton
Pierre Gasly
Kimi Raikkonen
Charles Leclerc
Sergio Perez
Kevin Magnussen
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

Exediron

Re: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Abu Dhabi 2020

Post by Exediron »

It looks like I've pretty much voted with the crowd here. I went for:

Bottas
Verstappen
Leclerc
Norris
Ricciardo
Gasly
(no vote at Racing Point)
Raikkonen
Magnussen
Russell
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Exediron wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:49 pm
It looks like I've pretty much voted with the crowd here. I went for:

Bottas
Verstappen
Leclerc
Norris
Ricciardo
Gasly
(no vote at Racing Point)
Raikkonen
Magnussen
Russell
Agree with these other than I possibly wouldn't vote for either driver at Ferrari. Vettel had a really good first stint and Leclerc seemed to have a poor one and went backwards at first. Although Vettel seemed slow at the end, Leclerc made countless mistakes going off track. Although they were initially miscounted and adding up to 5 - 6 warnings, he still did get 3 or 4 and didn't even seen to get a warning. Based on what happened to Grosjean at one race, he should have got both the black and white flag as well as a 5 second penalty. He still will have beaten Vettel - but only by one place which actually was the case already. But so he should have done as he did start ahead. Vettel did spend nearly half the race in the points but admittedly didn't seem very quick after he stopped. Despite the gap being nearly 10 seconds with leclerc ahead, I don't think there was enough between them to vote this time.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Who voted for Hamilton, Latifi and Giovinazzi? I do wonder

TheGiantHogweed

Siao7 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:58 am
Although it usually is correct to vote for Perez, I think these votes are a bit odd too really. I just can't see any reason to vote either. The only thing we can conclude from his race is that he overtook the 6 slowest cars in 10 laps. Then he retired. He didn't try in qualifying which was understandable, but that means we can't compare them there or 80% of the race.

It would be like us going for the typical outcome with Hamilton and Bottas but assuming one retired and had a grid penalty. However, the unexpected happened this time and Bottas beat Hamilton. If there is not enough to base things on, I'm not sure why we vote.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:34 am
Siao7 wrote:
Although it usually is correct to vote for Perez, I think these votes are a bit odd too really. I just can't see any reason to vote either. The only thing we can conclude from his race is that he overtook the 6 slowest cars in 10 laps. Then he retired. He didn't try in qualifying which was understandable, but that means we can't compare them there or 80% of the race.

It would be like us going for the typical outcome with Hamilton and Bottas but assuming one retired and had a grid penalty. However, the unexpected happened this time and Bottas beat Hamilton. If there is not enough to base things on, I'm not sure why we vote.
I'd usually agree with that but Stroll was so poor he really doesn't deserve half a vote.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:37 am
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:34 am
Siao7 wrote:

I'd usually agree with that but Stroll was so poor he really doesn't deserve half a vote.
And his uninspiring drive cost RP the coveted 3rd place in the WCC. With Perez out, it was his opportunity to shine but as seen in the 2nd half, quite ordinary & couldn't give it much of a fight.
Feel The Fourth

TheGiantHogweed

Is looking like Leclerc vs Vettel are going to be the 2nd closest pair of team mates in terms of percentage of votes for team mate wars this year. Currently, the Haas pair are barely any closer than that too!

You wouldn't have thought that this forum thinks that these two are about the closest team mates this year :D

Anyway, I think Vettel has had a poor year and Leclerc certainly hasn't been as good as other places are making him look ranking wise. I think he needs to be more consistent and make far less mistakes to be considered to have had a very good season. He's been responsible for the teams double retirement in Styria, his own in Italy and Bahrain as well as Verstappen there too and Stroll in Russia as well. Causing 6 retirements in one season is pretty shocking if I'm honest. He has the speed, but his mistakes and their impact have increased every season. He didn't retire or crash out due to his mistakes at all at Sauber if I remember correctly.

So I really do wonder if it is his mistakes allowing us to vote Vettel (when he hasn't looked good himself) that is limiting the number of races we can vote more accurately that has made them look close.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:33 pm
Anyway, I think Vettel has had a poor year and Leclerc certainly hasn't been as good as other places are making him look ranking wise. I think he needs to be more consistent and make far less mistakes to be considered to have had a very good season. He's been responsible for the teams double retirement in Styria, his own in Italy and Bahrain as well as Verstappen there too and Stroll in Russia as well. Causing 6 retirements in one season is pretty shocking if I'm honest. He has the speed, but his mistakes and their impact have increased every season. He didn't retire or crash out due to his mistakes at all at Sauber if I remember correctly.
I think he's over-driving the car, tying to compensate for the poor pace of the equipment by taking risks he wouldn't in a more competitive car. We pretty much got that confirmed in his post-Sakhir interview, when he accepted blame but said his first-lap lunges had been working most of the year. That's the philosophy of someone feeling desperate for results.
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
So I really do wonder if it is his mistakes allowing us to vote Vettel (when he hasn't looked good himself) that is limiting the number of races we can vote more accurately that has made them look close.
I think what's made it close is that pretty much every time (maybe even literally every time except Hungary) that Vettel has beaten Leclerc, it's been because Leclerc has made a brain-dead move that made it impossible for anyone to vote for him.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Is looking like Leclerc vs Vettel are going to be the 2nd closest pair of team mates in terms of percentage of votes for team mate wars this year. Currently, the Haas pair are barely any closer than that too!

You wouldn't have thought that this forum thinks that these two are about the closest team mates this year :D

There is no value at all for Ferrari or Leclerc in him finishing a cautious 7th or 8th. He may as well take every risk he can and go for the big result with a low probability chance. It was an approach that largely worked. Ferrari got 6th in the WCC rather than 7th and Leclerc finished much higher in the championship standings than you would reasonably expect from someone driving the 7th or even 6th fastest car.

You can't judge all drivers on the same yard stick as they aren't all trying to do the same thing. If you're in a McLaren or Renault this year then you're in a tight championship battle which actually matters to the teams. Ferrari couldn't give a stuff about finishing 5th rather than 6th (the car wasn't capable of that anyway really) so would rather try for the big results.

TheGiantHogweed

Guessing it is because it is around Christmas time and a boring race that there is a big chunk (around 30%) less votes than last time?

Looking back, I don't think there have been any with even close to this low number of votes an most have significantly more with several being over double.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

A big drum roll for the final results. :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion