BRDC officially announces Hamilton Straight

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Alienturnedhuman

BRDC officially announces Hamilton Straight

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

(copied from official Hamilton thread by popular request)

Silverstone have renamed the start finish straight to the "Hamilton Straight" in honour of him reaching 7x WDC and his achievements in Formula 1:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/silv ... n/4925980/

cmax

Re: BRDC officially announces Hamilton Straight

Post by cmax »

With other tracks like Montreal and Nurburgring honouring their countrymen, It is about time Lewis is given the same in his beloved Silverstone as he is now the most successful F1 driver of all time.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

This is him finding out

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

I can imagine Sir Jackie Stewart's anger. First a potential knighthood and now this, all without bending the knee and asking for his advice.

"...but I'm- ...but Jim Clark!"

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:18 pm
I can imagine Sir Jackie Stewart's anger. First a potential knighthood and now this, all without bending the knee and asking for his advice.

I do sympathise with Jackie Stewart, and think we should maybe give him some slack for how he looks back on his period. Jim Clark, from the videos of seen, was an extraordinary talent, and I think it's fair that Stewart raises the issue that there are a lot of drivers that are forgotten about from his era. The media has pushed the narrative that it's now a Senna/Schumacher/Hamilton top three, when in reality, in particular during Stewart's time, there were some phenomenal drivers that demonstrated both extraordinary skill and bravery.

Otherwise, great recognition for Hamilton here, who's name warrants one of the key parts of the Silverstone racetrack. And also great to see how humbled Hamilton was by it - you could see it clearly meant a lot to him.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Bacus

Post by Bacus »

he's straight? I think each driver's orientation should be a private matter.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

This is one of those recognitions that, while it may be deserved, is probably best left till a driver retires or is at least running his farewell season.

Sir Jackie and Jim Clark are probably also deserving of having features of Silverstone named after them. OTOH there are not many features of the track left that don't have VERY iconic names associated with them.
Mission WinLater

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:18 pm

:lol:

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

What a great gesture.

I would have loved it if they did something akin to "Salut Gilles" writing on the tarmac.