Predict the next World Champion

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Who is the next driver to win a World Title?

Poll runs till Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:01 am

Valtteri Bottas
10%
Max Verstappen
29%
Alex Albon
No votes
Charles Leclerc
16%
Carlos Sainz
No votes
Daniel Ricciardo
No votes
Lando Norris
No votes
Sergio Perez
6%
Lance Stroll
No votes
Esteban Ocon
No votes
Pierre Gasly
No votes
Yuki Tsunoda
No votes
George Russell
35%
Nicholas Latifi
No votes
Mick Schumacher
No votes
Nikita Mazepin
3%
Antonio Giovinazzi
No votes

Total votes: 31

KingVoid

Predict the next World Champion

Post by KingVoid »

Who will be the next driver to be crowned World Champion?

I am going for Leclerc 2022.

Bring in you predictions :nod:

schumilegend

Re: Predict the next World Champion

Post by schumilegend »

Verstappen...He is the most ready... Just needs a slip-up from Merc/Lewis

Invade

Post by Invade »

George Russell.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

I'm going Russell here followed by Leclerc.

I think Vestappen will have to leave RB to win a championship.

If Ricciardo had stayed with Renault i'd be including him after Leclerc but above Vestappen. I've thought for a few years now that the reg changes will be good for Renault & I stand by that.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Obviously so hard to say with the 2022 regulations. The smart money is probably on Russell as he’ll probably be in a Mercedes at some point.

Outside shout: Vettel in the Aston Martin.

Question to those who think Leclerc. Do you think Ferrari will be able to build a championship winning car with the budget cap? Since 2009, they’ve built only a few cars capable of winning a championship and that’s with one of the biggest budgets in the sport.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

JN23 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:58 am
Obviously so hard to say with the 2022 regulations. The smart money is probably on Russell as he’ll probably be in a Mercedes at some point.

Question to those who think Leclerc. Do you think Ferrari will be able to build a championship winning car with the budget cap? Since 2009, they’ve built only a few cars capable of winning a championship and that’s with one of the biggest budgets in the sport.
I went for Leclerc purely based on the fact that the law of averages must mean Ferrari gets it right at some point. Think of it being a stopped clock that gets the time right twice a day.

Mercedes is already in a period of unprecedented dominance. That can't last forever. Sooner or later their era will end and the key people will move on.

Rotax Max 125

Post by Rotax Max 125 »

I've gone for Verstappen based on the red bull being competitive enough to do battle all season long with Lewis

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Do you mean new WDC? The obvious choice otherwise is Hamilton 2021. Or, if Renault (sorry- Alpine!) gets its act together for 2022, I may take a punt on Alonso.
Assuming that the 2022 design (aero?) and budget regs are effective in closing the teams in terms of competitiveness and we mean a new WDC - and that Russell does get that Merc drive - it could be a very tasty toss up between Verstappen, Leclerc, Ricciardo and Russell. Even more tasty would be having existing WDCs Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel in the mix.
On a mental roll of the dice, I'll go out an a limb and say Leclerc.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

This thread possibly could be worded the next "new" world champion, although I guess hamilton not being an option should imply that.

Anyway, the next one likely will be him, but if his and Bottas's luck turn around next season, a Rosberg 2016 is still entirely possible for Bottas, so with luck playing into it, Bottas isn't out of the question, and actually if this happens, it will likely only be next year if Bottas is no longer at this team after that.

I don't see any other team being on top of Mercedes next year, so most likely, there will be no new champions, but there is a slim chance for Bottas if luck swings his way.

This above is about as predictable as what will happen beyond 2022 as we just don't know what teams will be at the top. Driver ability wise, Verstappen is easily the best after Hamilton at the moment, but Red Bull will need to have done something incredible to be the best or always close to to the best team in 2022.

Leclerc will have to cut down on his frequent mistakes IMO. Every year he's showing to be quick, but his mistakes are increasing every year. I'm not convinced he any better (more complete) than when he left Alfa Romeo just yet factoring in the mistakes. Causing a double team retirement in Styria, his own in Italy and Abu Dabi would have cost a well performing team a lot of points. He may be in a poor car this year, but I still think he's lost himself one or two positions in the driver standings due to these avoidable errors. It isn't like he doesn't have the ability to get them, so that is why I think his level of mistakes is poor. It wasn't just his own races he ended either. He ended one for Verstappen and Stroll too. He really needs to improve IMO if he's going to have a strong chance, especially if not in clearly the best team.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

It's Verstappen for me, once the opportunity comes he will deliver. Red Bull look more likely than Ferrari to get the 2022 regulations right and I think a title battle between Verstappen and Russell may come a little too early for Russell.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

I assume the theme is NEW WDC. However, this poll is silly without including Hamilton. All drivers start with a clean slate and zero points at the beginning of each year...

JN23

Post by JN23 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:23 am
JN23 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:58 am

I went for Leclerc purely based on the fact that the law of averages must mean Ferrari gets it right at some point. Think of it being a stopped clock that gets the time right twice a day.

Mercedes is already in a period of unprecedented dominance. That can't last forever. Sooner or later their era will end and the key people will move on.
Yep fair point :thumbup:

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Unless there is a sudden decline in ability, he gets an unlucky season or has another 2011 - then next season will almost certainly be a Hamilton victory. Regardless, I think it's fair to say, with a big reg change on the way and development work focusing on that, no team is making a big leap forward thus.... only Hamilton, Bottas or Verstappen can possibly win it next year. Next season is one of the most predictable in recent memory (and we've had a lot of predictable seasons)

For 2022 - it really depends on who aces it. I have a hunch it might be Renault, so it could well be Alonso.

I really hope 2022 helps the sport. The period 2010-2021 hasn't been vintage.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:17 pm
This thread possibly could be worded the next "new" world champion, although I guess hamilton not being an option should imply that.

Anyway, the next one likely will be him, but if his and Bottas's luck turn around next season, a Rosberg 2016 is still entirely possible for Bottas, so with luck playing into it, Bottas isn't out of the question, and actually if this happens, it will likely only be next year if Bottas is no longer at this team after that.

I don't see any other team being on top of Mercedes next year, so most likely, there will be no new champions, but there is a slim chance for Bottas if luck swings his way.

This above is about as predictable as what will happen beyond 2022 as we just don't know what teams will be at the top. Driver ability wise, Verstappen is easily the best after Hamilton at the moment, but Red Bull will need to have done something incredible to be the best or always close to to the best team in 2022.

Leclerc will have to cut down on his frequent mistakes IMO. Every year he's showing to be quick, but his mistakes are increasing every year. I'm not convinced he any better (more complete) than when he left Alfa Romeo just yet factoring in the mistakes. Causing a double team retirement in Styria, his own in Italy and Abu Dabi would have cost a well performing team a lot of points. He may be in a poor car this year, but I still think he's lost himself one or two positions in the driver standings due to these avoidable errors. It isn't like he doesn't have the ability to get them, so that is why I think his level of mistakes is poor. It wasn't just his own races he ended either. He ended one for Verstappen and Stroll too. He really needs to improve IMO if he's going to have a strong chance, especially if not in clearly the best team.
If Hamilton has an awful year with reliability then I'd bet on Verstappen over Bottas if both have similar luck. Verstappen would have beaten Bottas this year without the 5 non fault retirements.

BeOnEdge

Post by BeOnEdge »

I've gone with Russell. Hamilton will win every season until he decides to retire... By then George will be in the Merc and with no signs of them slipping down the field he has to be favourite. I really hope there's a big change to the dominance when the new regs come in in 2022.
Alfa Romeo Racing

PF1 Autosport GP 2017: 3rd Place

Invade

Post by Invade »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:09 pm
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:17 pm

If Hamilton has an awful year with reliability then I'd bet on Verstappen over Bottas if both have similar luck. Verstappen would have beaten Bottas this year without the 5 non fault retirements.
Ye I've heard a lot about Bottas' bad luck and not so much about Verstappen's. Awful lot of points kicked away from Max, mostly through no fault of his own - some think he binned his car by himself last week at the Sakhir GP, albeit with mitigating circumstances. I'd also bet on Max. I expect Red Bull to be closer to Mercedes next year as compared to this.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

Russell for me.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

For me it's a toss up between George and Max. I think a lot depends on who has the better car for the new regs at the start of 2022. On the theory that RBR will make up most of the performance gap to Mercedes I will go with Max. I don't expect George to win a hotly contested championship battle in his first year with the team.

Dark horse candidate would be Daniel Ricciardo in a newly resurgent McLaren with Mercedes power. :D
Mission WinLater

-K-

Post by -K- »

I was going to say Russell, then I thought about it and decided, Leclerc.

- Hamilton gets an 8th WDC in 2021 and Mercedes sign Russell for 2022. Mercedes have achieved their aim of beating Schumacher’s haul of titles with Hamilton and have the record for WCC’s, so tell Hamilton that if he wants a 9th WDC, he’ll have to fight Russell for it

- I think Verstappen could win a WDC with RBR, but only with a more consistent rear gunner such as Albon’s drive in Abu Dhabi. I think Albon keeps the seat for 2021, so whether Max could win in 2022 depends on whether Albon can improve and perform consistently or whether any replacement does so.

- Hamilton and Russell then take points off of each other.

With how long Red Bull’s 2nd driver problem has been going on for with no sign of being sorted, I’m plumping for Leclerc sneaking through the middle of the Mercs with an improving Ferrari. The Renault just doesn’t seem reliable enough, maybe that’ll change in 2022.

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

In 2021, Bottas is the most likely, as he beat Verstappen in 2020 in similar cars to the 2021 cars.
With Wolff confirming Bottas, that suggests that they expect to sign Hamilton. So Bottas would need some misfortune to befall Hamilton if Bottas is to become World Champion.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

-K- wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:34 am
With how long Red Bull’s 2nd driver problem has been going on for with no sign of being sorted, I’m plumping for Leclerc sneaking through the middle of the Mercs with an improving Ferrari. The Renault just doesn’t seem reliable enough, maybe that’ll change in 2022.
A genuine three way title fight hasn't happened for 17 years and nobody has won in the third best car for 37 years.

I expect Leclerc-Sainz to be as well matched as Hamilton-Russell with Verstappen have an enormous advantage over Albon which would give him the chance to pull off an upset if the Mercedes and Ferrari were slightly more competitive than Red Bull.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:29 am
-K- wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:34 am
A genuine three way title fight hasn't happened for 17 years and nobody has won in the third best car for 37 years.

I expect Leclerc-Sainz to be as well matched as Hamilton-Russell with Verstappen have an enormous advantage over Albon which would give him the chance to pull off an upset if the Mercedes and Ferrari were slightly more competitive than Red Bull.
If you mean drivers racing for three constructors then surely 2010? 4 drivers in contention in the last race who drove for 3 different teams.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:45 pm
If you mean drivers racing for three constructors then surely 2010? 4 drivers in contention in the last race who drove for 3 different teams.
Good point but Ferrari, McLaren and Williams were within 10% of each other's points. Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari were much more spread and Hamilton was 'in contention' in the loosest sense.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:51 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:45 pm
Good point but Ferrari, McLaren and Williams were within 10% of each other's points. Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari were much more spread and Hamilton was 'in contention' in the loosest sense.
Adjusting for the different points system Hamilton in 4th was closer to the championship leader going into the last race than Kimi was to Schumacher in 2003. Montoya was already knocked out.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:15 pm
Adjusting for the different points system Hamilton in 4th was closer to the championship leader going into the last race than Kimi was to Schumacher in 2003. Montoya was already knocked out.
Touche. Hopefully 2022 can recreate the drama of a decade ago!

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:24 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:15 pm
Touche. Hopefully 2022 can recreate the drama of a decade ago!
Exactly. Incredible to think that between 2007-2010 we had at least three drivers in contention in the penultimate race for every season. I think some of the racing in that era gets underrated as well. I miss the field spread being so tight one slight error for a driver in a championship contending car would lose them multiple positions come the end of the race.

SlipstreamF1

Post by SlipstreamF1 »

The man who will replace Lewis, probably Russell.

FrogInARaceCar

Post by FrogInARaceCar »

This boils down to:

Which will happen first:

1) Hamilton retires
2) Hamilton is beaten by a team-mate
3) Someone other than Mercedes builds a championship-winning car

and if 3, who will be driving it?

I voted for Max, but I think both Russell and Bottas are also both pretty likely.

yodasarmpit

Post by yodasarmpit »

I sincerely believe Max may never win the WDC, he is blindingly quick - but I fear he will never mature enough to manage races through a whole season.

Surprisingly, or maybe not so, outside karting he's never finished higher than 3rd in any series.

I think Lewis will most likely win 2021, then either George of Charles will be the star of the future.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

yodasarmpit wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:49 pm
I sincerely believe Max may never win the WDC, he is blindingly quick - but I fear he will never mature enough to manage races through a whole season.

Surprisingly, or maybe not so, outside karting he's never finished higher than 3rd in any series.

I think Lewis will most likely win 2021, then either George of Charles will be the star of the future.
He's done that this season though. Give Max the fastest car and a Bottas like team mate and he'd stroll to the championship.

Invade

Post by Invade »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:02 pm
yodasarmpit wrote:

He's done that this season though. Give Max the fastest car and a Bottas like team mate and he'd stroll to the championship.
Quite a similar performance in 2019 also, no?

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Yeah, I'm no Max fan (quite the opposite, most of the time) but he's matured a massive amount since his debut. Mind you, that does put into perspective how much of BS it was when everyone was going on about how mature he was then, but as it stands now he'd win a WDC easily in the right car.

Charles is the one who still needs to iron out the mistakes from his driving. I'm confident he will get there, but he isn't there yet.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

yodasarmpit

Post by yodasarmpit »

mikeyg123 wrote:
yodasarmpit wrote:

I would agree he has matured a little, and most notably this year, however retains a rashness that I don’t think he’ll ever rid.

He’s about to enter his 7th season, the level of competition is only getting stronger.

Whilst he had the raw speed over pretty much any driver, I just think he doesn’t present the fully rounded package.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

yodasarmpit wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:37 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
yodasarmpit wrote:

I would agree he has matured a little, and most notably this year, however retains a rashness that I don’t think he’ll ever rid.

He’s about to enter his 7th season, the level of competition is only getting stronger.

Whilst he had the raw speed over pretty much any driver, I just think he doesn’t present the fully rounded package.
He's the closest outside Hamilton. He's not made many errors this year and didn't make many last year. What more could he do that he's currently not doing?

yodasarmpit

Post by yodasarmpit »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:17 pm
yodasarmpit wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:37 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
yodasarmpit wrote:

He's the closest outside Hamilton. He's not made many errors this year and didn't make many last year. What more could he do that he's currently not doing?
Don't get me wrong, I believe he'll go down in history as one of the greats - but there are times where a little less haste would lead to a better result.

This year he has made fewer mistakes, and encountered quite a bit of bad luck.

Turkey was a moment of madness, he had the win locked but through impatience he made the move on Perez losing the front end and spinning out (think he finished 6th). He would have passed Perez within a lap and then taken Stroll easily.

Sakhir, whilst the cause of the crash was Charles taking out Perez, Max did pretty much the opposite of what he should have - he tried to get on the gas and drive around the incident rather than brake.

These are small moments, but have big consequences - he's not in the fastest car, and I don't see him ever fitting into the Mercedes mould.
Chances are Lewis will win next year, Russell will move to the big team in 2022, Ferrari will hopefully be back on form with McLaren up there, and then Alpine and Aston also in the mix

I just see a Max that could become even more frustrated and return to form, there's a chance none of that will be the case and he'll go on to win multiple World Championships - but not every potential champ finds themselves in the right car at the right time.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Perez

Recruited by Red Bull just as Newey produces Supercar* which is so far ahead of the opposition that even Vettel could win in it (deja vu innit), unfortunately Verstappen is prevented from taking advantage by the appearance of a 'lost in the archives' clip of some wide angle close up Mazepinning leaving Checo, for once in the right place at the right time, to kick start his campaign for President...

image customrodderforum

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Just call me Nostradamus, the first step in my dastardly prediction has been fulfilled, MMMwwwaaaHaaHaaHaa