So, is Hamilton Racing this Weekend?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
DFWdude

So, is Hamilton Racing this Weekend?

Post by DFWdude »

It's Wednesday. Hamilton should be travelling to Abu Dhabi, if he's not already there. Has anyone heard about his Covid test status, as the weekend begins tomorrow?

Alienturnedhuman

Re: So, is Hamilton Racing this Weekend?

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

I think it's highly unlikely. He looked pretty sick still in his video yesterday and even if he had recovered in good time they were still going to have to bend a ton of rules to get him around the quarantine rules of Bahrain and Abu Dhabi...

I think Russell will be driving again, which is a shame for Hamilton as it would have been nice for him to have seen his record breaking season end on track. But I know most will be excited to see Russell in a Merc again.

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

I hope Lewis makes a full recovery and is fully ready to go for the start of the 2021 season, but let's be honest: George getting a second race in the Mercedes this weekend would be much more fun to see. I'd love to see if he can repeat his performance from Sakhir, or if Valtteri can turn up and show that actually, he just had an awful weekend and that flattered George. Not to mention having Aitken line up alongside Latifi for a second race would again give us a slightly better idea of what level Latifi is at, and how much Russell's dominance of him is really worth.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Toto Wolff has said (via Mercedes twitter) that Hamilton's condition is improving but they won't know until closer to the time if he'll be driving. I assume they'll need to make a decision before Friday morning* so Russell can get the practice in (and by extension Aitken/Williams).

*I know they technically don't have to decide until 5 minutes before qualifying but that seems a bit daft for all involved.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

JN23 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:20 pm
I know they technically don't have to decide until 5 minutes before qualifying but that seems a bit daft for all involved.
Well, that would be interesting to see. Hamilton without any practice time? Wonderful if he resumes on Pole, or doesn't... starting from 6th or 7th, then drives through the field to put a stamp on his season interruptus.

What's not to like? Sounds just like the manufactured excitement you folks want to see.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

DFWdude wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:27 pm
JN23 wrote:
I know they technically don't have to decide until 5 minutes before qualifying but that seems a bit daft for all involved.
Well, that would be interesting to see. Hamilton without any practice time? Wonderful if he resumes on Pole, or doesn't... starting from 6th or 7th, then drives through the field to put a stamp on his season interruptus.

What's not to like? Sounds just like the manufactured excitement you folks want to see.
Haha perhaps an interesting experiment but my guess is if they need to wait that long then Hamilton probably isn't up to it, which would dampen the interest in the experiment.

I was thinking more from a Russell/Aitken point of view.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

JN23 wrote:
Toto Wolff has said (via Mercedes twitter) that Hamilton's condition is improving but they won't know until closer to the time if he'll be driving. I assume they'll need to make a decision before Friday morning* so Russell can get the practice in (and by extension Aitken/Williams).

*I know they technically don't have to decide until 5 minutes before qualifying but that seems a bit daft for all involved.
They can leave it while Saturday morning if they're that determined to get Hamilton in the car, Vandoorne is down for Friday practice and if Hamilton can't make Saturday then Vandoorne does the race. It's got to be quite an early decision that Hamilton can't make the race for Russell to be in the Mercedes.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

JN23

Post by JN23 »

I didn’t realise Vandoorne was supposed to be in for practice this weekend. Russell is down for media stuff for Merc tomorrow

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

I'm guessing Vandoorne is in for Friday as a "sorry we dragged you all they way to Bahrain just to watch" thing?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

JN23 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:12 pm
I didn’t realise Vandoorne was supposed to be in for practice this weekend. Russell is down for media stuff for Merc tomorrow
Yeah he drivers if Hamilton can't make Friday.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Schermerhorn

Post by Schermerhorn »

DFWdude wrote:
JN23 wrote:

Would he get any credit for it though?

"Covid stricken F1 champion beats rest of field in dominant car"
You’re not in a fight until there’s pressure. Resistance. Overcoming something. Otherwise, it’s just an exhibition.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Schermerhorn wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:53 pm
DFWdude wrote:
JN23 wrote:

Would he get any credit for it though?

"Covid stricken F1 champion beats rest of field in dominant car"
IMO, it would be about the same as grid backmarker (Vandoorne or Russell) "beats rest of field in dominant car."

I don't want Hamilton to risk his safety (or others) if he's not up to it, but a Hamilton at 90% is still better than the rest.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

I don't know at what point it has to be announced but last weekend Craig from Sky had an interview with Toto and Toto said that he would need to test negative by Thursday if I remember rightly, so if that's true then we may get some news tomorrow.

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

Stoffel is in the Mercedes this Friday? Even if Russell is replacing Hamilton?

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

"The team said it was "possible" they would make the decision as to whether Hamilton races as late as before Saturday's final practice session, which runs for an hour and starts at 10:00 GMT, three hours before qualifying."

But surely if Russel is the standby they should make the call before Friday? Else how on earth do Williams and Russel approach the weekend?
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

JN23

Post by JN23 »

https://twitter.com/adamcooperf1/status ... 56928?s=21

Russell saying that if Hamilton tests negative then Hamilton will be driving.

I think unless the test result is here by tonight I think they should just make the decision that Russell is in Merc and Aitken is in the Williams for the weekend. I get that Merc want Hamilton in the car and Hamilton wants to race but it’s a dead race for Merc/Hamilton and I don’t think they’re being particularly fair to Russell/Aitken/Williams in this instance.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

When even a veteran Hamilton supporter wants Russell in the car, surely Mercedes should take the hint from the worldwide audience and just make the call for Russell to drive?

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:31 pm
When even a veteran Hamilton supporter wants Russell in the car, surely Mercedes should take the hint from the worldwide audience and just make the call for Russell to drive?
It may not be up to them, depends on Hamilton's contract. If there are no medical reasons for him to sit out the race they may not be able to make him.

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Anyone else find it a bit funny seeing Russell in a Mercedes outfit in the press briefing? It's like a kid hiding from his parents in a playground so he can stay longer.

Tbh I'd be somewhat surprised if Vandoorne doesn't get to drive this weekend. Toto Wolff is usually someone who likes giving some parity to his drivers. Could also be an acid test for Bottas against a different driver.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

stevey

Post by stevey »

And its the last race of the year so you got to expect Lewis wants to race, get the fireworks at the end, do the spins, the last lot of interviews. It's like the curtain close for the season, every driver will want to be there.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

Poor George...

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:51 pm
Poor George...
But from a certain point of view, he got an opportunity that he didn't think would come this year, and proved a lot about himself. It sounds patronising, but in many ways that's more important than a race win. He's dramatically improved his negotiating position.

Pest44

Post by Pest44 »

I’d have liked to seen George in the Merc again this weekend but it wasn’t to be. I think in a way this is better for George’s reputation that he doesn’t race for merc this weekend. He absolutely smashed it last week. I think he’d do well again at Abu Dhabi but say he had a mediocre weekend. Toto would have that little bit of doubt again and maybe it was a one off on a quirky circuit. At least like this he’s left a massive impression that Toto can not ignore

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

JN23 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:50 pm
Answer: yes.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/133709015 ... 28/photo/1
I love the 4th comment from Francis, someone is very disappointed!

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

I think everybody wanted Bottas vs Russell round II. Happy that Lewis is healthy but it’s ruined the spectacle a bit.

TedStriker

Post by TedStriker »

As a long term Hamilton fan, I find myself in the odd situation of wishing he wouldn't be racing.

What could have been a spectacular end to the season is now likely to be a predictable 1-2-3. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong!

I bet it will hurt the viewer figures too.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Well, I am happy to see HAM return to put a positive stamp on his record breaking season.

Azi

Post by Azi »

Well, that's disappointing. I can hardly blame Lewis for wanting to see his season out properly, but I am so gutted we don't get to see George in the Merc again.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

What a strange chap Hamilton is.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Johnson wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:30 pm
Stoffel is in the Mercedes this Friday? Even if Russell is replacing Hamilton?
I heard that Vandoorne was in the car if Hamilton could only make Friday which kind of made sense at the time, I didn't realise that Russell could drive 2 different cars over the race weekend, anyway it's moot now Hamilton made Friday.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Given that Hamilton is fit to race then why not stand down Bottas for Russell, what's the difference?

Let's not being joining the brigade that simply would like to see Hamilton out of F1.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

pokerman wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:53 am
F1Tyrant wrote:
Given that Hamilton is fit to race then why not stand down Bottas for Russell, what's the difference?

Let's not being joining the brigade that simply would like to see Hamilton out of F1.
My guess is that Bottas is fit to drive, AND has a CONTRACT to race the car, while Russell does not.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

pokerman wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

I think the original comment was specific to this weekend.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

tootsie323 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:02 pm
pokerman wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

Don't spoil it for him! It's the world against Hamilton again...

I'm glad Hamilton is back, above all I'm glad he is healthy; I'm just worried that he is pushing it just to make it for this race as a great finish to a record year. But it is obviously down to him, if he feels ok, then it's his seat.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Hamilton very unpopular this weekend lol. I'm pleased he's feeling well but lets not pretend it wouldn't be more interesting having Russell in the car.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

DFWdude wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:20 pm
pokerman wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

My guess is that Bottas is fit to drive, AND has a CONTRACT to race the car, while Russell does not.
I know I was just making the comparison, somehow Hamilton can be made to stand down.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

tootsie323 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

I know and I know he's a fellow Hamilton supporter, I myself wouldn't have minded Russell/Bottas part 2, but let's not suggest that Hamilton should have been made to sit out.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Siao7 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:15 pm
tootsie323 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

Don't spoil it for him! It's the world against Hamilton again...

I'm glad Hamilton is back, above all I'm glad he is healthy; I'm just worried that he is pushing it just to make it for this race as a great finish to a record year. But it is obviously down to him, if he feels ok, then it's his seat.
I appreciate that some might not be aware of the increased hate there has been on the internet towards Hamilton post Sakhir.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:40 pm
Hamilton very unpopular this weekend lol. I'm pleased he's feeling well but lets not pretend it wouldn't be more interesting having Russell in the car.
I wouldn't disagree whether Russell be pitched either way against Hamilton or Bottas.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition