Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez

Might upset Verstappen
3
8%
Don't want another Multi 21
0
No votes
Means admitting junior driver program has "failed"
9
24%
2021 already written off so why bother
1
3%
Don't know what to do with Albon
0
No votes
Thai factor
8
22%
Waiting for another driver?
1
3%
They've already signed the Hulk
0
No votes
They're going to jump Tsunoda straight in
0
No votes
Other - please state
3
8%
They are going to, but know they can leave it to last minute
12
32%
 
Total votes: 37

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1777
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by DOLOMITE »

"inspired by" the PF1 article, I thought it would be good for a Poll

I thought this deserved it's own thread although if Mods want to merge it with an existing Perez/Albon thread that's fine.

It seems such an obvious choice but there will be many factors at work so what do you think?
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Schumacher forever#1
Posts: 3092
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

I think they will sign him, but voted,
Means admitting junior driver program has "failed"
I think the F1 community has shone a negative light on Red Bull's mishandling of their young drivers, and they wanted to rectify that by giving their driver a longer chance to prove themselves. Gasly's renaissance at AlphaTauri shows that maybe it's their management of the second driver that's the issue, and not their driver. But, realistically, Albon is just a fraction not good enough to be in the second best team.

Maybe they feel bad that it means Albon will leave F1, or there is a Thai influence. Certainly not a Max factor though.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

User avatar
UnlikeUday
Posts: 8805
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by UnlikeUday »

I actually agree with the first six options & the last one. The last one so they can try to keep Albon motivated enough to perform well. If they were to announce Checo already, he wouldn't even perform at the level he is now.

One more option could've been added - sponsor commitments or agreements!
Feel The Fourth

User avatar
UnlikeUday
Posts: 8805
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by UnlikeUday »

RB am sure aren't blind to notice -
1. He in a so called midfield car won the race from last. He must've made atleast 10 overtakes to gain higher positions without making 1 single mistake. Red Bull need their 2nd driver to deliver (big) if Max retires. Albon could only manage 6th.
2. He probably was the only midfield driver who could've had 4 podiums in a row. Imola (where the team strategists screwed up, Turkey, Bahrain (a MGU-K failure just 3 laps from the end) & Sakhir. In a car like Red Bull, what not could he achieve!
Feel The Fourth

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 1777
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by DOLOMITE »

OK so for me:
Might upset Verstappen
--No. I think it would take a lot more than that to upset Max...Not exactly a fragile little flower is he...

Don't want another Multi 21
--No, Good as Perez is I don't think there's enough of a risk here for this to be a factor.

Means admitting junior driver program has "failed"
--Hmm I do think this is a problem for them. Whether it has failed or not I don't know but it appears at least as if their second best driver (Gasly) is not in their best car - but that's arguably the decision making that has failed, not the program.

2021 already written off so why bother
--I don't think this is a factor. They must still want a driver in the car in '21 that is right behind Max. Those "lost" points are money.

Don't know what to do with Albon
--Well it would be nice to think this is a concern for them but if so it's certainly a turnaround from the ruthless approach they've shown to date. I don't see this as a factor other than the Thai factor influencing how binning him would mean they are viewed there.


Thai factor
--Has to be a factor, but how much would be interesting to know.

Waiting for another driver?
--Maybe but if so, who? Pool is very limited now. Staying in the program they have Vips, Doohan, Hauger, Edgar, Lawson, Tsunoda, Daruvala , Fraga and Crawford. None are clearly emerging as the "next Verstappen" so even if Tsunoda, Vips etc are ready it would be AT no RBR? Outside of their program - well see earlier points about saving face.

They've already signed the Hulk
--Much as I'd like it to be true, I just don't see it. Unless it's a 1 year deal to tide them over while Tsunoda does a year at AT and then the promote him or Gasly..? Has to be a reason Hulk never landed a top drive. Even if the Verstappens want it!

They're going to jump Tsunoda straight in
--Well a year ao this wouldn't have suprised me, but they seem cautious now after the mess of Albon/Gasly so I don't see it.

They are going to, but know they can leave it to last minute
--Maybe, Perez is out to dry so they#re just letting Albon see the season out to avoid the high-profile of an in-season swap?



Or maybe they are going to stick with him....
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

User avatar
Schermerhorn
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Schermerhorn »

All of the options are true to an extent but people are overlooking the fact that Red Bull is 51% owned by a Thai.

I assume Albon is there to help advertise and support the brand domestically in Thailand.
You’re not in a fight until there’s pressure. Resistance. Overcoming something. Otherwise, it’s just an exhibition.

pokerman
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by pokerman »

If they retain Albon I would be looking at the Thai owners.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Harpo
Posts: 1038
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:26 am

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Harpo »

Schermerhorn wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:47 pm
All of the options are true to an extent but people are overlooking the fact that Red Bull is 51% owned by a Thai.

I assume Albon is there to help advertise and support the brand domestically in Thailand.
Ok for the 51% of the shares (and the recipe of the vomiting product) being Thai. But I guess the Mexican and Mexican American market (and the rest of central America) is much more interesting.

Contrary to what Dolomite think, I would bet that the main reason for Red Bull not to sign Perez would be to protect Verstappen. I'm not sure Perez would accept to be a second driver, nor that Verstappen beating Perez is a certainty (supposing they get equal treatment, which is another question).
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

pokerman
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by pokerman »

Harpo wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:19 pm
Schermerhorn wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:47 pm
All of the options are true to an extent but people are overlooking the fact that Red Bull is 51% owned by a Thai.

I assume Albon is there to help advertise and support the brand domestically in Thailand.
Ok for the 51% of the shares (and the recipe of the vomiting product) being Thai. But I guess the Mexican and Mexican American market (and the rest of central America) is much more interesting.

Contrary to what Dolomite think, I would bet that the main reason for Red Bull not to sign Perez would be to protect Verstappen. I'm not sure Perez would accept to be a second driver, nor that Verstappen beating Perez is a certainty (supposing they get equal treatment, which is another question).
Red Bull wanted to re-sign Ricciardo so I don't see that problem with Perez bearing in mind I would see Ricciardo as being the stronger driver.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

JN23
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by JN23 »

Completely off topic but found this when I was looking on Wikipedia about who owns Red Bull. interestingly (or maybe not) but the guy from Thailand who owns 51% of Red Bull, his son is wanted by Interpol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_o ... lanprasert

mikeyg123
Posts: 18468
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by mikeyg123 »

Harpo wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:19 pm
Schermerhorn wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:47 pm
All of the options are true to an extent but people are overlooking the fact that Red Bull is 51% owned by a Thai.

I assume Albon is there to help advertise and support the brand domestically in Thailand.
Ok for the 51% of the shares (and the recipe of the vomiting product) being Thai. But I guess the Mexican and Mexican American market (and the rest of central America) is much more interesting.

Contrary to what Dolomite think, I would bet that the main reason for Red Bull not to sign Perez would be to protect Verstappen. I'm not sure Perez would accept to be a second driver, nor that Verstappen beating Perez is a certainty (supposing they get equal treatment, which is another question).

This makes no sense to me. Red Bull desperately tried to keep Ricciardo before he went to Renault. If they were all about protecting Vertsappen then that makes no sense. Red Bull have shown themselves the only major team to not be afraid of putting two top drivers together. And if Perez does beat him then how does Red Bull lose?

I also doubt that Verstappen would worry about facing Perez especially in his own team. He will think he would beat him and beat him easily and there is much more capital in that for him than beating up Albon for another year. It would also help him out a lot if he had a team mate 10 seconds behind rather than 30. He could then be used to interfere with Merc.

I also don't see why you think Perez accepting being the 2nd driver? Is he really going to sit out a season rather than driving for Red Bull if they tell him he's going to the be the number 2?

Jenson's Understeer
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Looking at the options individually...

Might upset Max: Max will be clear of him on pace, and tbh Max should want an upgrade on Albon as his teammate because if Red Bull give him a car to fight Lewis, he'll need his teammate in the mix. In nearly equal cars, I'd argue that Max would be at a disadvantage in a title fight with the current line-ups.

Don't want another multi 21: Can't see it. Again, Max will generally be clear of Perez, and I would think it'll be pretty clear (if not contractually then definitely in a 'unwritten rule' kind of way) who the team leader and #1 driver is.

Means admitting the junior program has failed: I could see this being a reason except that the reality is it isn't true. Look at all the drivers they have brought into F1 who have gone on to have even decent careers, either in F1 or outside of it. Vettel, Verstappen, Ricciardo, Gasly, Buemi, Vergne, Sainz. Even the likes of Albon and Kvyat will probably do okay for themselves once they're out the Red Bull programme. They have *the* most successful junior program. And they're bringing Tsunoda into AlphaTauri anyway, probably making the announcement on the same day. So it's a pretty quick argument to tear down.

2021 already written off: They won't have written it off yet.

Don't know what to do with Albon: They've already announced what they're doing with Albon; Red Bull or a year out.

Thai factor: Albon's not being kicked out the Red Bull programme (I assume he'll be their test and reserve driver) so I don't buy this as a reason.

Waiting for another driver: Unless they're holding out hope that they can shock us all and sign Lewis, I don't see who they would be waiting for.

Hulkenberg: Perez > Hulk > Albon, and it's pretty clear Checo is open to going to Red Bull, so no.

Putting Tsunoda straight in: Max would destroy his F1 career in a season, so no.

IMO the reason is pretty simple. They've said Alex will have until the end of the season and, without any risk of losing Perez to another team, there is no reason go back on that. But if it wasn't already decided, I would imagine Sunday's race was the final straw and it is now when, not if, they announce Perez.

The only other thing that could be holding it up is Perez's sponsorship commitments, which we have seen delay his confirmation with Force India in prior years. However, I think in those situations, the money that came with him was - given their relatively small budget and on-going financial issues prior to the Stroll takeover - actually quite significant to getting the deal done. I can't imagine a team with Red Bull's backing would let sponsorship issues derail or even delay a deal if Perez is the guy they go for.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

User avatar
yodasarmpit
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by yodasarmpit »

I think the problem with Sergio is he is a strong midfield driver, who up until the point he had lost his drive hadn't shown any real potential.

Over the the past decade he has produced one good drive per year, nothing more - that was until the pressure was on this year - where he has been one of the stand out drivers, although how much of that is down to the improvements in the car I don't know.

I think he would be a good candidate for the car in the Bottas to Hamilton role but with with Max, but so could Hulk and any number of other drivers.

I don't think Red Bull are in any rush, although I can't see Albon remaining beyond this year.

Schumacher forever#1
Posts: 3092
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:32 pm
Harpo wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:19 pm
Schermerhorn wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:47 pm
All of the options are true to an extent but people are overlooking the fact that Red Bull is 51% owned by a Thai.

I assume Albon is there to help advertise and support the brand domestically in Thailand.
Ok for the 51% of the shares (and the recipe of the vomiting product) being Thai. But I guess the Mexican and Mexican American market (and the rest of central America) is much more interesting.

Contrary to what Dolomite think, I would bet that the main reason for Red Bull not to sign Perez would be to protect Verstappen. I'm not sure Perez would accept to be a second driver, nor that Verstappen beating Perez is a certainty (supposing they get equal treatment, which is another question).

This makes no sense to me. Red Bull desperately tried to keep Ricciardo before he went to Renault. If they were all about protecting Vertsappen then that makes no sense. Red Bull have shown themselves the only major team to not be afraid of putting two top drivers together. And if Perez does beat him then how does Red Bull lose?

I also doubt that Verstappen would worry about facing Perez especially in his own team. He will think he would beat him and beat him easily and there is much more capital in that for him than beating up Albon for another year. It would also help him out a lot if he had a team mate 10 seconds behind rather than 30. He could then be used to interfere with Merc.

I also don't see why you think Perez accepting being the 2nd driver? Is he really going to sit out a season rather than driving for Red Bull if they tell him he's going to the be the number 2?
Fully agree. Max is not afraid of Perez, however good Perez may be. He's probably done the cross comparisons himself to make sure.

And no chance Perez will sit out next season over number 2 at the second best team. It'll be the most competitive position he'll ever have been in in his F1 career.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

pokerman
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:32 pm
Harpo wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:19 pm
Schermerhorn wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:47 pm
All of the options are true to an extent but people are overlooking the fact that Red Bull is 51% owned by a Thai.

I assume Albon is there to help advertise and support the brand domestically in Thailand.
Ok for the 51% of the shares (and the recipe of the vomiting product) being Thai. But I guess the Mexican and Mexican American market (and the rest of central America) is much more interesting.

Contrary to what Dolomite think, I would bet that the main reason for Red Bull not to sign Perez would be to protect Verstappen. I'm not sure Perez would accept to be a second driver, nor that Verstappen beating Perez is a certainty (supposing they get equal treatment, which is another question).

This makes no sense to me. Red Bull desperately tried to keep Ricciardo before he went to Renault. If they were all about protecting Vertsappen then that makes no sense. Red Bull have shown themselves the only major team to not be afraid of putting two top drivers together. And if Perez does beat him then how does Red Bull lose?

I also doubt that Verstappen would worry about facing Perez especially in his own team. He will think he would beat him and beat him easily and there is much more capital in that for him than beating up Albon for another year. It would also help him out a lot if he had a team mate 10 seconds behind rather than 30. He could then be used to interfere with Merc.

I also don't see why you think Perez accepting being the 2nd driver? Is he really going to sit out a season rather than driving for Red Bull if they tell him he's going to the be the number 2?
I would disagree with that, Red Bull have never shipped in a top driver from outside their program, I'm not counting Perez as a top driver so I believe he has a chance, certainly in the Vettel years they had no interest in pairing him with an elite driver from outside their driver program, they in fact ran the same construct as Mercedes are running now and which Ferrari will be running next year.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
UnlikeUday
Posts: 8805
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by UnlikeUday »

How about thinking the opposite - why haven't RB confirmed Albon then (if for the Thai connection & all of the options above)?
Feel The Fourth

Harpo
Posts: 1038
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:26 am

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Harpo »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:25 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:32 pm
Harpo wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:19 pm
Schermerhorn wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:47 pm
All of the options are true to an extent but people are overlooking the fact that Red Bull is 51% owned by a Thai.

I assume Albon is there to help advertise and support the brand domestically in Thailand.
Ok for the 51% of the shares (and the recipe of the vomiting product) being Thai. But I guess the Mexican and Mexican American market (and the rest of central America) is much more interesting.

Contrary to what Dolomite think, I would bet that the main reason for Red Bull not to sign Perez would be to protect Verstappen. I'm not sure Perez would accept to be a second driver, nor that Verstappen beating Perez is a certainty (supposing they get equal treatment, which is another question).

This makes no sense to me. Red Bull desperately tried to keep Ricciardo before he went to Renault. If they were all about protecting Vertsappen then that makes no sense. Red Bull have shown themselves the only major team to not be afraid of putting two top drivers together. And if Perez does beat him then how does Red Bull lose?

I also doubt that Verstappen would worry about facing Perez especially in his own team. He will think he would beat him and beat him easily and there is much more capital in that for him than beating up Albon for another year. It would also help him out a lot if he had a team mate 10 seconds behind rather than 30. He could then be used to interfere with Merc.

I also don't see why you think Perez accepting being the 2nd driver? Is he really going to sit out a season rather than driving for Red Bull if they tell him he's going to the be the number 2?
I would disagree with that, Red Bull have never shipped in a top driver from outside their program, I'm not counting Perez as a top driver so I believe he has a chance, certainly in the Vettel years they had no interest in pairing him with an elite driver from outside their driver program, they in fact ran the same construct as Mercedes are running now and which Ferrari will be running next year.
To be clear, all this is supposition. I said this would be the main reason for RBR not to sign Perez (if they can do it but don't do it), not that they will not sign Perez.
Besides, I never made a secret that I don't trust at all RBR, their drivers policy, their comments about it, their comments about their car etc.
About RBR trying desperatly to keep Ricciardo... The fact that Ricciardo prefered to leave should at least raise some doubts about Ricciardo's status at RBR.
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

User avatar
Schermerhorn
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Schermerhorn »

Harpo wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:56 pm
pokerman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:25 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:32 pm
Harpo wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:19 pm
Schermerhorn wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:47 pm
All of the options are true to an extent but people are overlooking the fact that Red Bull is 51% owned by a Thai.

I assume Albon is there to help advertise and support the brand domestically in Thailand.
Ok for the 51% of the shares (and the recipe of the vomiting product) being Thai. But I guess the Mexican and Mexican American market (and the rest of central America) is much more interesting.

Contrary to what Dolomite think, I would bet that the main reason for Red Bull not to sign Perez would be to protect Verstappen. I'm not sure Perez would accept to be a second driver, nor that Verstappen beating Perez is a certainty (supposing they get equal treatment, which is another question).

This makes no sense to me. Red Bull desperately tried to keep Ricciardo before he went to Renault. If they were all about protecting Vertsappen then that makes no sense. Red Bull have shown themselves the only major team to not be afraid of putting two top drivers together. And if Perez does beat him then how does Red Bull lose?

I also doubt that Verstappen would worry about facing Perez especially in his own team. He will think he would beat him and beat him easily and there is much more capital in that for him than beating up Albon for another year. It would also help him out a lot if he had a team mate 10 seconds behind rather than 30. He could then be used to interfere with Merc.

I also don't see why you think Perez accepting being the 2nd driver? Is he really going to sit out a season rather than driving for Red Bull if they tell him he's going to the be the number 2?
I would disagree with that, Red Bull have never shipped in a top driver from outside their program, I'm not counting Perez as a top driver so I believe he has a chance, certainly in the Vettel years they had no interest in pairing him with an elite driver from outside their driver program, they in fact ran the same construct as Mercedes are running now and which Ferrari will be running next year.
To be clear, all this is supposition. I said this would be the main reason for RBR not to sign Perez (if they can do it but don't do it), not that they will not sign Perez.
Besides, I never made a secret that I don't trust at all RBR, their drivers policy, their comments about it, their comments about their car etc.
About RBR trying desperatly to keep Ricciardo... The fact that Ricciardo prefered to leave should at least raise some doubts about Ricciardo's status at RBR.
In the Netflix documentary, Ricciardo was discussing with his manager that one of the main reasons he decided to sign with Renault was because "Red Bull want Max to be the youngest ever world champion" so he was probably worried that the Red Bull team would try and engineer some type of situation where Max always had preferential treatment and equipment.
You’re not in a fight until there’s pressure. Resistance. Overcoming something. Otherwise, it’s just an exhibition.

Rotax Max 125
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:52 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Rotax Max 125 »

I think Red Bull would rather keep Albon until they have another young charger ready to take over. Any other team in this dilemma would probably of taken Checco but red bull is potentially the most difficult final spare seat to get himself into.

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8487
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Exediron »

Schermerhorn wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:46 pm
In the Netflix documentary, Ricciardo was discussing with his manager that one of the main reasons he decided to sign with Renault was because "Red Bull want Max to be the youngest ever world champion" so he was probably worried that the Red Bull team would try and engineer some type of situation where Max always had preferential treatment and equipment.
This also got brought up in a recent edition of GP Magazine (formerly F1 Magazine), where it quotes Mark directly as saying the goal of Red Bull was to make Max the youngest WDC.

So, that's not Ricciardo being paranoid, that's an actual fact. And I can certainly see why you'd start to worry the team is favoring your teammate if they've outright declared that they intend to make him specifically WDC.

As for the poll, I think it's internal politics. But personally if I had to bet, I'd bet that Albon is in fact going to be replaced by Perez, and they're just waiting until the end of the season to announce it.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

schumilegend
Posts: 394
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by schumilegend »

The real question is - why hasn’t Redbull poached Russell?

A.J.
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:37 am

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by A.J. »

If I were making that decision, I wouldn't sign Perez either. He has shown time and again that he is not a team player - whether at McLaren or the two years with Ocon. Did we forget his coming together with Ocon on a biweekly basis? Or Singapore 2018?

Neither is he PR savvy (just look at the circus surrounding him currently with his family members tweeting pictures of RedBull refrigerators to build some hype) the way Ricciardo was.

Lastly, he doesn't offer anything of real value over the Hulk (except experience in getting podiums), who acquitted himself fairly well against Ricciardo at Renault, and is a far more marketable personality. Bonus points for Max preferring him and speaking German with Marko (although I doubt those count for much).

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8487
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Exediron »

schumilegend wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:45 am
The real question is - why hasn’t Redbull poached Russell?
Probably because Russell doesn't want to burn his bridge (which leads straight to the best car in history) just to get into a top car a year early?
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

A.J.
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:37 am

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by A.J. »

Exediron wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:10 am
schumilegend wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:45 am
The real question is - why hasn’t Redbull poached Russell?
Probably because Russell doesn't want to burn his bridge (which leads straight to the best car in history) just to get into a top car a year early?
That's exactly what I feel - and things are likely to stay this way till at least 2025. Why risk an almost guaranteed 3-4 year shot at the WDC to partner perhaps the fastest guy in F1 today? Even if the RBR dominates the field, it won't be Russell collecting the WDCs against Verstappen in the same car.

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 8487
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Exediron »

A.J. wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:17 am
That's exactly what I feel - and things are likely to stay this way till at least 2025. Why risk an almost guaranteed 3-4 year shot at the WDC to partner perhaps the fastest guy in F1 today? Even if the RBR dominates the field, it won't be Russell collecting the WDCs against Verstappen in the same car.
I'm sure Russell, like all top drivers, firmly believes that he'd go into the team and steal it out from under Max's nose. The bigger problem is that it really doesn't seem to be the team to be at.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Schumacher forever#1
Posts: 3092
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

A.J. wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:17 am
Exediron wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:10 am
schumilegend wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:45 am
The real question is - why hasn’t Redbull poached Russell?
Probably because Russell doesn't want to burn his bridge (which leads straight to the best car in history) just to get into a top car a year early?
That's exactly what I feel - and things are likely to stay this way till at least 2025. Why risk an almost guaranteed 3-4 year shot at the WDC to partner perhaps the fastest guy in F1 today? Even if the RBR dominates the field, it won't be Russell collecting the WDCs against Verstappen in the same car.
Yupp - Russell would firmly place himself on the Ricciardo path if he does such a move.

F1 is much about loyalty between teams and drivers these days - with what could likely be a top 3/4 team formula for the next half a decade, you'd want a team that has your full backing. Russell is fortunate to be one of the three drivers in F1 who have that backing.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Jenson's Understeer
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

Exediron wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:10 am
schumilegend wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:45 am
The real question is - why hasn’t Redbull poached Russell?
Probably because Russell doesn't want to burn his bridge (which leads straight to the best car in history) just to get into a top car a year early?
Agreed. I'm not even going to speculate on how George would perform against Max in what is now basically Max's team, but the bottom line is that to win a title there, he would have to beat Max. And if he doesn't have to beat Max, it's because the car isn't quick enough under the new regs and Max has left the team. In which case George has made the wrong move anyway.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

User avatar
Jezza13
Posts: 2461
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Far side of Koozebane

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Jezza13 »

I just think RB know they've got time on their side & are just trying to dangle the carrot in front of Albon right to the very end.

Perez has already said it's RB or bust for him next year so why should RB rush the signing?

As much as i'd love to see Hulkenberg in that RB seat, there's no doubting Perez has put forward a claim to that drive that's damn near impossible to ignore & because of what he's shown in the past few months it'd be criminal for him not to get the 2nd RB drive if it becomes available.

Not only that, but poor UnlikeUday's been pushing Perez's wheelbarrow like there's no tomorrow for a while now so just for the PR work alone that Unlike's put in on Perez's behalf is another reason i'd like to see him get the ride. I think they both deserve the result they're waiting for.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

kleefton
Posts: 4035
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by kleefton »

Jezza13 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:27 am


Not only that, but poor UnlikeUday's been pushing Perez's wheelbarrow like there's no tomorrow for a while now so just for the PR work alone that Unlike's put in on Perez's behalf is another reason i'd like to see him get the ride. I think they both deserve the result they're waiting for.
:lol:

BMWSauber84
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by BMWSauber84 »

They haven't signed Perez because they are waiting to see if they can poach Hamilton. ;)

pokerman
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:17 pm
How about thinking the opposite - why haven't RB confirmed Albon then (if for the Thai connection & all of the options above)?
They're still hoping he does something incredible so their decision doesn't look totally stupid. :)
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
bourbon19
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:31 am

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by bourbon19 »

I am really not on the Perez to RB bandwagon. He's a good steady driver and obviously has some phenomenal races, but replacing Albon with him I think would just see him take on a Bottas or Webber role to Verstappen. I am liking Verstappen more and more - not because he is on my team of choice, but because next to Sebastian (when he has wheels), I think he is very entertaining to watch.

I like the idea of RB putting its guns behind Max and I think Albon is okay with that as he improves. I might be wrong, but I think Perez would have issues being cast in that role.

User avatar
Invade
Posts: 3408
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Invade »

bourbon19 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:16 am
I am really not on the Perez to RB bandwagon. He's a good steady driver and obviously has some phenomenal races, but replacing Albon with him I think would just see him take on a Bottas or Webber role to Verstappen. I am liking Verstappen more and more - not because he is on my team of choice, but because next to Sebastian (when he has wheels), I think he is very entertaining to watch.

I like the idea of RB putting its guns behind Max and I think Albon is okay with that as he improves. I might be wrong, but I think Perez would have issues being cast in that role.
How about having a driver who can stay within the pit window of the Mercs.

overgeared
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:59 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by overgeared »

Waiting on Hamilton. Hamilton wants a pile of money and other stuff. Toto hasn't agreed. After seeing Russell I imaging whatever number Hamilton wanted will get slashed.
If Hamilton takes his ball and goes home and Russell is in, Hammy out. Red Bull will have a seat for him.

If I'm Red Bull I don't sign anyone until Hammy is done. If Hamilton renews with Merc I throw cash at Russell. If not I try to get Hamilton for a bargin.
Last edited by overgeared on Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spenjie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:19 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Spenjie »

bourbon19 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:16 am
I am really not on the Perez to RB bandwagon. He's a good steady driver and obviously has some phenomenal races, but replacing Albon with him I think would just see him take on a Bottas or Webber role to Verstappen. I am liking Verstappen more and more - not because he is on my team of choice, but because next to Sebastian (when he has wheels), I think he is very entertaining to watch.

I like the idea of RB putting its guns behind Max and I think Albon is okay with that as he improves. I might be wrong, but I think Perez would have issues being cast in that role.
It's interesting to see over the last few races Max has been quite complimentary of Perez on a couple of occasions, and on the other hand quite harsh on Alex. Do you think Max has realised with Perez in the team he will find himself challenging for more wins in the future?

A.J.
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:37 am

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by A.J. »

bourbon19 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:16 am
I am really not on the Perez to RB bandwagon. He's a good steady driver and obviously has some phenomenal races, but replacing Albon with him I think would just see him take on a Bottas or Webber role to Verstappen. I am liking Verstappen more and more - not because he is on my team of choice, but because next to Sebastian (when he has wheels), I think he is very entertaining to watch.

I like the idea of RB putting its guns behind Max and I think Albon is okay with that as he improves. I might be wrong, but I think Perez would have issues being cast in that role.
Yeah me neither - as much as RBR and the fans want a better driver in that second car, I think Perez is not that person. He isn't a team player (which imo is his biggest negative point), he isn't PR savvy (which is something redbull care about), and he isn't a great qualifier (which is something very important for the front of the grid).

Herb
Posts: 2409
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by Herb »

A.J. wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:57 am
bourbon19 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:16 am
I am really not on the Perez to RB bandwagon. He's a good steady driver and obviously has some phenomenal races, but replacing Albon with him I think would just see him take on a Bottas or Webber role to Verstappen. I am liking Verstappen more and more - not because he is on my team of choice, but because next to Sebastian (when he has wheels), I think he is very entertaining to watch.

I like the idea of RB putting its guns behind Max and I think Albon is okay with that as he improves. I might be wrong, but I think Perez would have issues being cast in that role.
Yeah me neither - as much as RBR and the fans want a better driver in that second car, I think Perez is not that person. He isn't a team player (which imo is his biggest negative point), he isn't PR savvy (which is something redbull care about), and he isn't a great qualifier (which is something very important for the front of the grid).
Come on. Max is very far from being PR savvy...

pokerman
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by pokerman »

overgeared wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:05 am
Waiting on Hamilton. Hamilton wants a pile of money and other stuff. Toto hasn't agreed. After seeing Russell I imaging whatever number Hamilton wanted will get slashed.
If Hamilton takes his ball and goes home and Russell is in, Hammy out. Red Bull will have a seat for him.

If I'm Red Bull I don't sign anyone until Hammy is done. If Hamilton renews with Merc I throw cash at Russell. If not I try to get Hamilton for a bargin.
Red Bull aren't going to pay Hamilton £40/50M so that's one reason why it won't happen.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

overgeared
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:59 pm

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by overgeared »

pokerman wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:38 pm
overgeared wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:05 am
Waiting on Hamilton. Hamilton wants a pile of money and other stuff. Toto hasn't agreed. After seeing Russell I imaging whatever number Hamilton wanted will get slashed.
If Hamilton takes his ball and goes home and Russell is in, Hammy out. Red Bull will have a seat for him.

If I'm Red Bull I don't sign anyone until Hammy is done. If Hamilton renews with Merc I throw cash at Russell. If not I try to get Hamilton for a bargin.
Red Bull aren't going to pay Hamilton £40/50M so that's one reason why it won't happen.
Your right RB won't pay that either. But when he realizes he has nowhere to go that would be the only option and he will take what they give him with one goal. Beat Merc. It would make for a great season. The winningest driver ever in an underdog car.

A.J.
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:37 am

Re: Why haven't Red Bull signed Perez?

Post by A.J. »

Herb wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:22 pm
A.J. wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:57 am
bourbon19 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:16 am
I am really not on the Perez to RB bandwagon. He's a good steady driver and obviously has some phenomenal races, but replacing Albon with him I think would just see him take on a Bottas or Webber role to Verstappen. I am liking Verstappen more and more - not because he is on my team of choice, but because next to Sebastian (when he has wheels), I think he is very entertaining to watch.

I like the idea of RB putting its guns behind Max and I think Albon is okay with that as he improves. I might be wrong, but I think Perez would have issues being cast in that role.
Yeah me neither - as much as RBR and the fans want a better driver in that second car, I think Perez is not that person. He isn't a team player (which imo is his biggest negative point), he isn't PR savvy (which is something redbull care about), and he isn't a great qualifier (which is something very important for the front of the grid).
Come on. Max is very far from being PR savvy...
Max is perfect PR for the RedBull brand. Young, brash, aggressive, shaking things up - PR is not just about being a corporate spokesman, it's about how well he relates to people and the company in terms of the brand image. And Max is a perfect fit for RedBull (but not so much for, say, Mercedes).

Ricciardo is more PR savvy than Verstappen, but he was also perfectly aligned with the RedBull brand - young, brash, FUN.

Post Reply