How will Russell perform against Bottas?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Poll ended at Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Russell ahead in qualifying and the race
17%
Russell ahead in qualifying, Bottas ahead in the race
4%
Bottas ahead in qualifying, Russell ahead in the race
8%
Bottas ahead in qualifying and the race
33%
Very close in qualifying, Russell ahead in the race
10%
Very close in qualifying, Bottas ahead in the race
27%

Total votes: 48

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

How will Mr Saturday perform against Bottas this weekend, assuming the result is not impacted by something outside their control?

JN23

Re: How will Russell perform against Bottas?

Post by JN23 »

I’ve gone for the Bottas ahead in both option. Hard task for George to come into a new car and be close straight away but if he does that, fair play! He could get close if he races for Merc in Abu Dhabi though.

The shorter circuit might make gaps closer than normal - 0.3s over a 90 second lap is closer than 0.3s over 55second lap.

TedStriker

Post by TedStriker »

I should imagine Lewis is hoping he won't beat Valtteri by much!

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

I expect Bottas to put it on pole for Sakhir and then hold the lead to the finish 2-4 seconds ahead of Max. Russell will start P2 or P3 and passed by Verstappen in the pits or on track.

If Hamilton can't start in Abu Dhabi, I reckon Russell will get pole position but probably slip behind Bottas in the race.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

I'm not sure because it's not a normal track, having good tows in qualifying might be more important than how quick you are in the few corners come qualifying, and it's such a short lap about 55s which is going to compress the grid, I've always seen the qualifying as a possible lottery, I'm not sure how much we are going to be able to read into the weekends results.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Invade

Post by Invade »

Here's my favourite post so far from around the webz... by PlatenGlass:

"Hopefully now he's going to be in a top car, some people will learn that he's Russell, not Russel."

Schermerhorn

Post by Schermerhorn »

Bottas might lose his head and choke on the big occasion and George might sneak a victory.

Most likely, Bottas wins, Max second and Russell third barring anything unusual.

Mercedes power should be pretty dominant around here this weekend.
You’re not in a fight until there’s pressure. Resistance. Overcoming something. Otherwise, it’s just an exhibition.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Invade wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:07 pm

"Hopefully now he's going to be in a top car, some people will learn that he's Russell, not Russel."
Hopefully, it didn't take Johnny Herbert long to realise he was called George Russell and not Jack Russell. :lol:
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

I'm hoping he doesn't overdrive this weekend just trying to prove himself in a top car.

At the same time I'm hoping he doesn't hold back and simply relies on the car to get a podium!

I'm going for the last option, although I hope George wins.
#KeepFightingMichael

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Schermerhorn wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:14 pm
Bottas might lose his head and choke on the big occasion and George might sneak a victory.

Most likely, Bottas wins, Max second and Russell third barring anything unusual.

Mercedes power should be pretty dominant around here this weekend.
That would only make sense if Bottas had never won a race before.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

JN23

Post by JN23 »

I don’t think Red Bull will be as good as some on this thread think. They weren’t great in Monza. McLaren were second best there. The top part of the loop might bring it back towards RB a bit as I’m sure downforce will be useful there but not convinced there definitely going to the number two team here.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

MistaVega23 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:15 pm
I'm hoping he doesn't overdrive this weekend just trying to prove himself in a top car.

At the same time I'm hoping he doesn't hold back and simply relies on the car to get a podium!

This might happen, I can't help but feel that some of his race day errors are down to trying to hard to make an impression.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

TedStriker

Post by TedStriker »

In a situation like this, does he get Lewis' car, or do they have a few spares lying around?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

TedStriker wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:21 pm
In a situation like this, does he get Lewis' car, or do they have a few spares lying around?
He gets Hamilton's car and engine allocation.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Russell to out-qualify, Bottas to out-gun him on the start

Verstappen to win ;)
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

pokerman wrote:
Invade wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:07 pm

Hopefully, it didn't take Johnny Herbert long to realise he was called George Russell and not Jack Russell. :lol:
Kurt Russell, to please Mercedes ?
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

Perez should win it.. He will.
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:18 pm
MistaVega23 wrote:

This might happen, I can't help but feel that some of his race day errors are down to trying to hard to make an impression.
Imola being the biggest error from him so far. :blush: Maybe it was a blessing in disguise?

I'm just hoping he has a solid weekend, no mistakes, clean, disciplined, reliable and that first podium should surely be his.
#KeepFightingMichael

Lord Crc

Post by Lord Crc »

Bottas is not a slouch most of the time, so it seems logical that he'd be ahead in both. But yeah I'll be looking forward to see how the weekend unfolds.

If Russel clearly beats him on merit in either quali or the race, then that must surely destroy Bottas.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

It's Russell's perfect head-to-head quali record that I fear for...
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

I rate Russell very, very highly.

However, being thrown in like this I struggle to see him getting within .2 of Bottas in qualifying, and finishing ahead of either Valtteri or Max in the race. I think 3rd on the grid and 3rd in the race would be a decent day's work.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

Kev627

Post by Kev627 »

It would be great if he was able to match Bottas throughout this weekend! :nod:

j man

Post by j man »

Familiarity with the car dictates that Bottas should beat Russell reasonably comfortably, particularly in qualifying where he has tended to be fairly close to Hamilton. But in the race, I wouldn't be surprised if Russell causes a bit of an upset. And that's not intended as a slight against Bottas, more a statement of how good I think Russell is.

Another thing to consider is that this track effectively has four corners on it and a lap time of 45 seconds or so. The margins in qualifying are going to be INCREDIBLY tight, and we could be in for some surprises.

jeffw

Post by jeffw »

Well, wonder if they will disable the DAS so he does not have to deal with that this weekend....

mitch2701

Post by mitch2701 »

I want more than anything for Russell to keep his qualifying record intact and that probably means sticking it on pole position.

But I think the realistic most likely scenario is Bottas - Verstappen - Russell for both qualifying at the race.

Russell is an immense talent but I think he has too much to learn in one weekend to overhaul a driver who has multiple pole positions and race wins in this car and team.

If he's in the car in Abu Dhabi I'd rate his chances at defeating Bottas higher.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

mitch2701 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:28 pm
I want more than anything for Russell to keep his qualifying record intact and that probably means sticking it on pole position.

But I think the realistic most likely scenario is Bottas - Verstappen - Russell for both qualifying at the race.

Russell is an immense talent but I think he has too much to learn in one weekend to overhaul a driver who has multiple pole positions and race wins in this car and team.

If he's in the car in Abu Dhabi I'd rate his chances at defeating Bottas higher.
If he is an immense talent, he will be on it right away. None of Schumacher, Hamilton Vettel, Alonso, Verstappen ever needed time to come to speed.

scouseknight

Post by scouseknight »

mitch2701 wrote:
This.
Forza Ferrari

Vettel Fan

Post by Vettel Fan »

I'm not impressed with Bottas at all. This is a new car for Russell so I would image in quali he will get outperformed by Bottas. I think over the entire race Russell can get past Bottas.

Schumacher forever#1

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:31 pm
mitch2701 wrote:

If he is an immense talent, he will be on it right away. None of Schumacher, Hamilton Vettel, Alonso, Verstappen ever needed time to come to speed.
That's the thing isn't it. The high calibre drivers all managed to immediately adapt to a front-running car and situation.

This weekend may give us an indication whether Russell is on the same level of Verstappen and Leclerc.

While that is harsh on Russell, to expect so much from him, if we really consider him to be in the upcoming subgroup that includes the great Verstappen and Leclerc, he should prove stronger than Bottas - almost immediately.

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

Bottas ahead in both, on a normal track I would say by 0.2-0.3 but this track is really weird the gap could be much smaller due to its length and nearly all being flat out.

Is Russell can finish P2 behind Bottas and have a close enough race pace, then Bottas is finished at Mercedes for 2022.

0.5+ and it’s a disaster for Russell

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

TedStriker wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:56 pm
I should imagine Lewis is hoping he won't beat Valtteri by much!
Only if he beats both Valtteri and Max soundly. If Valtteri has another mediocre race, trouncing him won't mean much. Gapping the whole field would be very impressive and would get Lewis' attention. Still I think Lewis would welcome him as an eventual team mate.
Mission WinLater

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Strangely I don't think this is great to Russell. I think he was more likely than Bottas to get the 2022 Merc seat anyway so in a funny way It's actually Russell's seat to lose.

When comparing them in this race we have to remember it's not a normal circuit. A good or bad performance here is not necessarily indicative.

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

Russell to out-qualify Bottas by a full second and lap him. Everyone realises that it’s been the car all along and that Hamilton is no better than Shinji Nakano. The truth dawns on Toto and he realises he can save money next year by not offering Lewis a new deal and hires Hulk instead, who goes on to become 2021 WDC. Fittipaldi is running 5th when his engine fails. Also, Kvyat is involved in an incident involving a ferret somehow.
I remember when this website was all fields.

Lord Crc

Post by Lord Crc »

Banana Man wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:57 pm
Russell to out-qualify Bottas by a full second and lap him. Everyone realises that it’s been the car all along and that Hamilton is no better than Shinji Nakano. The truth dawns on Toto and he realises he can save money next year by not offering Lewis a new deal and hires Hulk instead, who goes on to become 2021 WDC. Fittipaldi is running 5th when his engine fails. Also, Kvyat is involved in an incident involving a ferret somehow.
Sounds great! I'll have a bag of whatever you've been smoking :lol:

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:49 pm
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
mitch2701 wrote:

That's the thing isn't it. The high calibre drivers all managed to immediately adapt to a front-running car and situation.

This weekend may give us an indication whether Russell is on the same level of Verstappen and Leclerc.

While that is harsh on Russell, to expect so much from him, if we really consider him to be in the upcoming subgroup that includes the great Verstappen and Leclerc, he should prove stronger than Bottas - almost immediately.
That’s not completely true. Ricciardo out qualified Verstappen 7-0 over there first 7 races and by 0.420 in race one. By the start of 2017 Max was way quicker than me was at the very start. Yes he won his first race but it was on strategy.

Invade

Post by Invade »

If Russell gets both the remaining races for Mercedes then I reckon he'll have Bottas by Abu Dhabi.

Schumacher forever#1

Johnson wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:04 am
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
mitch2701 wrote:

That’s not completely true. Ricciardo out qualified Verstappen 7-0 over there first 7 races and by 0.420 in race one. By the start of 2017 Max was way quicker than me was at the very start. Yes he won his first race but it was on strategy.
I wouldn't be able to remember back that far, but if so, that paints things in a different picture definitely. Although Max was still 18/19 years old at the time, which must also be factored in.

pendulumeffect

Post by pendulumeffect »

I would not bet on it but I suspect George might get pole position. He is known to be fast and I think he may be hiding some techniques other drivers overlook. I don't think Bottas has the extra something to stop him, despite his experience and familiarity in the car. Russell doesn't have much to lose and Bottas is error prone let's put it that way.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Johnson wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:04 am
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
mitch2701 wrote:

Don't beat yourself up. I think Max is quicker than every member of this forum.

Rotax Max 125

Post by Rotax Max 125 »

I'm very excited to see you g George get a chance to show us what he can do. I think being close to Bottas will be a good result. Its a shame its a slightly unusual new track which possibly makes it more challenging for him, I think if he ends up racing in Abu Dhabi we will would then get a much more true reflection.

This is his time and I'm sure he will grab it with both hands