BRREAKING NEWS. LEWIS HAMILTON OUT OF THE SAKHIR GP THIS WEEKEND.

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
wire2004

BRREAKING NEWS. LEWIS HAMILTON OUT OF THE SAKHIR GP THIS WEEKEND.

Post by wire2004 »

Tests positive for the corona virus.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/mot ... m=referral

Lojik

Re: BRREAKING NEWS. LEWIS HAMILTON OUT OF THE SAKHIR GP THIS WEEKEND.

Post by Lojik »

Who is in line as replacement?

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Vandoorne?

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Who's the reserve drivers. Ant Davidson???? Estaban Gutierrez??? That's my guess.

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

My initial reaction to this.
I am calling Bull$#@t.
He was fine on sunday. And he wouldn't have left the circuit as they are at the same circuit. So no one would have left the facility.

So. My view is he either raced positive. (And so the whole paddock and Lewis Hamiltons whole car bubble) will now be positive.
Or.
He is just taking the last 2 races off. He is 130+ points in front of bottas. So he doesnt need to race again this year his season was over after turkey. He raced for fun in Bahrain. And either he. Or the FOM have asked him to not compete this weekend or next weekend to make things intresting. 130+ points in front of the championship with 2 races left. With the possibility of winning the last 2 races. Is a embarrassment for the FOM. To be 5+ race wins in front of your nearest challenger in a 17 race season is not a good thing for FOM for advertisers etc.
Last edited by wire2004 on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

inky38

Post by inky38 »

Ain’t gonna happen, but I’d love to see George Russell get the drive.

More than likely will be Vandoorne

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Hope he’s ok.

In another note - wonder if anyone else could be affected by this?

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

We finally get the answer to the question everyone's been asking for years? Can anyone (Stoffel Vandoorne) win in a Mercedes?

Max will be kicking his lips at the thought of chasing down either of these guys for the win. However, he and Albon will be at the highest risk of testing positive in the next few days!

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

inky38 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:06 am
Ain’t gonna happen, but I’d love to see George Russell get the drive.

More than likely will be Vandoorne
This would be a golden opportunity for them to properly test George. But I'd like to see Hulk given a last good shot at finally getting that podium.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:15 am
We finally get the answer to the question everyone's been asking for years? Can anyone (Stoffel Vandoorne) win in a Mercedes?

Max will be kicking his lips at the thought of chasing down either of these guys for the win. However, he and Albon will be at the highest risk of testing positive in the next few days!
I don't think anyone would expect a stand-in to win even in the Merc.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Just a wild guess - would they opt for Hulk?
Feel The Fourth

JN23

Post by JN23 »

wire2004 wrote:
I am calling Bull$#@t.
He was fine on sunday. And he wouldn't have left the circuit as they are at the same circuit. So no one would have left the facility.

So. My view is he either raced positive. (And so the whole paddock and Lewis Hamiltons whole car bubble) will now be positive.
Or.
He is just taking the last 2 races off. He is 130+ points in front of bottas. So he doesnt need to race again this year his season was over after turkey. He raced for fun in Bahrain. And either he. Or the FOM have asked him to not compete this weekend or next weekend to make things intresting. 130+ points in front of the championship with 2 races left. With the possibility of winning the last 2 races. Is a embarrassment for the FOM. To be 5+ race wins in front of your nearest challenger in a 17 race season is not a good thing for FOM for advertisers etc.
He tested negative three times last week, including on Sunday ruling out your first conspiracy theory.

Edited to amend typo.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

wire2004 wrote:
I am calling Bull$#@t.

Or.
It doesn't work like that lol. If someone has the virus they won't infect everyone they come into contact with. In fact they will likely infect very few people. Hamilton, could have been positive the whole weekend, make out with every single person in the paddock and only a small percent would catch it from him.

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

wire2004 wrote:
I am calling Bull$#@t.

Or.
I was tested positive early september, and it still amazes me (I work at home and was more than careful. My only proven contact is my wife and she is negative)... Except for a complete loss of the sense of smell, that alerted me, I wouldn't have been tested. And wouldn't even have counted among the positives during the "1st wave"... It wouldn't have prevented me from driving. Actually, it didn't.
Anyway, you're negative one day and positive the next day. If you take into account the waiting time, Hamilton may well have been negative on saturday and declared positive on monday.

That said, such is the state of the F1 business that your view could be right. If it's a fake, the other option is that Hamilton is putting Mercedes under pressure while negotiating..
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

The prospect of Vandoorne in the Merc is....underwhelming. I too would love to see Russel in there, but I can't see Williams allowing that.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Steve_muzzy

Post by Steve_muzzy »

What are the covid regs relating to vandoorne? He is testing in another country. Will he have time to self isolate?

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

Hulk please. To jump in the RP as he did this year and stick it in P3 at Silverstone surely proves that he'll be quick straight out of the box. Vandoorne and Gutierrez will take time to get up to speed, IMO.

Russell also deserves a shot though.
#KeepFightingMichael

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

F1Tyrant wrote:

Agree the pressure is on Max now, he simply HAs to win this weekend. All those who say its the car that wins it, hold your breath!

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

I'll echo the views on others here i that (i) would love to see Russell given an opportunity though it almost certainly won't happen and (ii) think that Hulk would be a good choice to stand in.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

jimmyj

Post by jimmyj »

I hope Lewis gets well soon. But, as many of you have pointed out, this is a very interesting development and I cannot wait to see who does what in the car. Bottas and Max will be expected to outperform the sub driver, let's see how they do!
Personally I hope Hulk gets the ride.

Good_Year

Post by Good_Year »

Don't give it to hulk.

When did Hamilton last retire due to technical issue? And the time before that?

Exactly! Heartbreak awaits.

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

Whichever way you look at it, the pressure is well and truly on Bottas now. Defacto no.1 driver for this weekend and whoever comes in, he'd better have them covered.
#KeepFightingMichael

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

No one wants Alonso ?

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Good_Year wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:12 am
Don't give it to hulk.

When did Hamilton last retire due to technical issue? And the time before that?

Exactly! Heartbreak awaits.
He's probably got two races to do it though.

Let's go Hulk!!!
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Greenman wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:20 am

No one wants Alonso ?
Alonso definitely not in consideration I'd say. Nor would I say he wants it. Alonso will want to practice and make sure he's fully up to speed first before racing the same car as someone like Bottas.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

if they don't use a reserver driver for their purpose, then this year in f1 having drivers miss a race at least 4 times, then the point of them literally is pointless. I'm hoping it will be vandoorne for this reason. He's the one with the reserve role and has been with the team for some time now. I can't really see a reason to go for anyone else. Suggestions for russell are nonsense. Then what are williams supposed to do? If they went for hulkenberg, he would be far less prepared than vandoorne. There is only one sensible choice.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:25 am
if they don't use a reserver driver for their purpose, then this year in f1 having drivers miss a race at least 4 times, then the point of them literally is pointless. I'm hoping it will be vandoorne for this reason. He's the one with the reserve role and has been with the team for some time now. I can't really see a reason to go for anyone else. Suggestions for russell are nonsense. Then what are williams supposed to do? If they went for hulkenberg, he would be far less prepared than vandoorne. There is only one sensible choice.
Yes but you said Racing Point using Guitierez instead of Hulkenberg was the only sensible choice.

Vandoorne, Russell and Hulk would all probably do a similar job. I think you put way to much store in a couple of simulator sessions. Hulk for example I would consider far better prepared than Vandoorne having much more recent experience of driving F1 cars.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Option or Prime wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:26 am
F1Tyrant wrote:

Agree the pressure is on Max now, he simply HAs to win this weekend. All those who say its the car that wins it, hold your breath!
Surely the pressure is on Bottas not Verstappen....
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

When Salo was brought in to replace Schumacher and was winning the race, he was told to give the victory to Irvine.
Mercedes have nothing to gain by putting a driver in the car who can clearly beat Bottas, so it's unlikely that will happen.

I'd like to see them put the best driver they can get into the car - even for 1 race (it might help the contract negotiations with Hamilton? - but could also backfire in that regard).

Bottas continues to do enough to win the Manufacturer's and isn't any threat to Hamilton, so Mercedes don't need anyone better.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

babararacucudada wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:46 am
When Salo was brought in to replace Schumacher and was winning the race, he was told to give the victory to Irvine.
Mercedes have nothing to gain by putting a driver in the car who can clearly beat Bottas, so it's unlikely that will happen.

I'd like to see them put the best driver they can get into the car - even for 1 race (it might help the contract negotiations with Hamilton? - but could also backfire in that regard).

Bottas continues to do enough to win the Manufacturer's and isn't any threat to Hamilton, so Mercedes don't need anyone better.
Different circumstances though, Irvine was in the WDC hunt against Hakinen. Otherwise Salo would have kept it, I truly believe that.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:38 am
I disagree, Bottas hasn't convincingly outperformed Verstappen even in a better car. If Verstappen wants bragging rights as the next big thing, winning the next two races will prove it.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:11 pm
DOLOMITE wrote:
I disagree, Bottas hasn't convincingly outperformed Verstappen even in a better car. If Verstappen wants bragging rights as the next big thing, winning the next two races will prove it.
Why? He's still got the same car deficit he's had all season.

Bottas is under way more pressure. If the replacement is in his ball park it looks bad and he has a drive to try and earn for 2022.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:11 pm
DOLOMITE wrote:
Well I can agree to disagree then!

With Hamilton absent, there is absolutely an expectation that assuming all goes well Bottas should pick up the baton and win the race. Verstappen might have a good opportunity , but I don't think there's an expectation that he should win. If he's 2nd to Bottas he still has the Merc-is-a-better-car excuse, if Bottas is 2nd to Verstappen he has nothing.
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

MistaVega23 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:55 am
Hulk please. To jump in the RP as he did this year and stick it in P3 at Silverstone surely proves that he'll be quick straight out of the box. Vandoorne and Gutierrez will take time to get up to speed, IMO.

Russell also deserves a shot though.
Gutierrez doesn't currently have a SuperLicense.
-Stirling Moss

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Streaks that will be broken when Lewis doesn't start the next race.
Most consecutive race starts. Lewis is first at 265
Most consecutive wins. Lewis is tied for sixth with five
Most consecutive points finishes. Lewis is first with 48.
Most consecutive points scored. Lewis is first with 998 points.

Lewis could also have tied both Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel for the most wins in a season at 13. That can't happen now.
Mission WinLater

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

I guess if you're going to get the virus best to get it at a point in the season when it doesn't matter.

In respect to who replaces Hamilton my guess would be Vandoorne, he's been seen in the Mercedes garage several times this season as the back up driver.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:18 pm
Bottas is under way more pressure. If the replacement is in his ball park it looks bad and he has a drive to try and earn for 2022.
DOLOMITE wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:29 pm
With Hamilton absent, there is absolutely an expectation that assuming all goes well Bottas should pick up the baton and win the race. Verstappen might have a good opportunity , but I don't think there's an expectation that he should win. If he's 2nd to Bottas he still has the Merc-is-a-better-car excuse, if Bottas is 2nd to Verstappen he has nothing.
I can see it from that point of view, I just think Max has been sniffing for another victory this season and both the next races present an enormous opportunity. I guess I was getting it kind of backwards but most people think Max is much faster than Bottas.
Mort Canard wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:55 pm
Most consecutive race starts. Lewis is first at 265
I'm not certain this streak will be broken, while he'll certainly lose his consecutive entries streak I think consecutive starts is contigent on being entered and as he's missing the entire weekend that streak shouldn't be broken unless his car gives up on the formation lap in Melbourne.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Hamilton has the virus, and all you guys can do is salivate over who will replace him?

I hope Lewis gets through this successfully, and with no lingering effects.

I hope the team has no further positives that might force the team to withdraw from the remaining races.

TheGiantHogweed

mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:33 am
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:25 am
Yes but you said Racing Point using Guitierez instead of Hulkenberg was the only sensible choice.

Vandoorne, Russell and Hulk would all probably do a similar job. I think you put way to much store in a couple of simulator sessions. Hulk for example I would consider far better prepared than Vandoorne having much more recent experience of driving F1 cars.
It isn't to do with who they are. What is the point of a reserve driver if they don't do their duties? This to me is getting ridiculous. I agree about gutierrez once I found out he couldn't even drive, but even if his ability possibly wasn't as good as Hulkenbergs, I still think it made more sense for him to drive as that should have been his job. Same with Vandoorne. And In a sense, I think Vandoorne is equally as prepared as hulkenberg as he does testing for the team and will know the car - and is their reserve driver and actually can race.

it isn't to do with how much i like or dislike the drivers or anything like that. I think all teams should have an official reserve driver and have none of this messing around. They will be far more prepared this way.

TheGiantHogweed

Just thinking about it, as unfortunate as it is for hamilton to be missing the next race and probably the final one, he is the only driver that already has their highest possible finishing position confirmed in the WDC. All 19 other drivers can either move up one or more, or some the same way backwards. Though several will stay put. At least Verstappen will know that nobody can pass him.