Who will finish higher in the WDC 2021, Stroll or Vettel?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

Who will finish higher in the WDC 2021, Stroll or Vettel?

Vettel
79%
Stroll
21%
A tie decided on countback
No votes

Total votes: 33

mikeyg123

Re: Who will finish higher in the WDC 2021, Stroll or Vettel?

Post by mikeyg123 »

Exediron wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:05 pm
Rockie wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:35 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:28 pm
Hamilton, Alonso, Schumacher, Button, Raikkonen... They've all won multiple races in packages that weren't the fastest on the day.

Seeing as literally every race many drivers beat people in faster cars (given that teammates don't all finish one after the other in a race we know that must be a fact) it would be weird if it was a rare occurrence only for first place.
The people you mention here were either driving the best or next best car (i.e. a Ferrari or Mclaren) on the grid.
Not all of them; Button, at the very least, was not driving a car that could be considered second best when he won the 2006 Hungarian GP. Raikkonen also took wins for Lotus in 2012 and 2013, in a car that most would put 3rd or below.

Hamilton and Schumi are tougher calls, since I don't think Hamilton has ever driven a car that wasn't at least second quickest at the point in the season where he won (thinking of 2009), and Schumi only won a single race past the year 2000 in what I would consider a car slower than 2nd quickest -- and that was the 2005 US GP, so it doesn't really count.

But I was actually thinking of Alonso when I said that originally, who won races in the 2008 Renault (Japan, even if you don't count Singapore) and in Ferrari cars that were at times quite far off the ultimate pace.

Vettel's Toro Rosso win does stand out as a rare win from the true midfield, but I think there's every chance Aston Martin will be more competitive than that -- closer to where Red Bull is now than where Toro Rosso was in 2008.
The only ones you could argue for Schumi post 2000 is some of the wins in 03. But's that because he always had a car 1st or 2nd quickest.

He won races in 96 and 97 with the third quickest car or worse.

Another clear one for Kimi is Belgium 04. A great drive.

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

I hope someone will think of digging up this thread this time next year...
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Exediron wrote:
Rockie wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Hamilton, Alonso, Schumacher, Button, Raikkonen... They've all won multiple races in packages that weren't the fastest on the day.

Seeing as literally every race many drivers beat people in faster cars (given that teammates don't all finish one after the other in a race we know that must be a fact) it would be weird if it was a rare occurrence only for first place.
The people you mention here were either driving the best or next best car (i.e. a Ferrari or Mclaren) on the grid.
Not all of them; Button, at the very least, was not driving a car that could be considered second best when he won the 2006 Hungarian GP. Raikkonen also took wins for Lotus in 2012 and 2013, in a car that most would put 3rd or below.
I would argue that the Lotus was actually quite a strong car over that time frame and was second best at a number of circuits. After Kimi mentally checked out on 2013, Grosjean was the closest competitor to the Red Bull in a few races. After Kimi physically checked out, Grosjean even split the Red Bull cars at the US grand Prix.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:52 pm
Exediron wrote:
Rockie wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I would argue that the Lotus was actually quite a strong car over that time frame and was second best at a number of circuits. After Kimi mentally checked out on 2013, Grosjean was the closest competitor to the Red Bull in a few races. After Kimi physically checked out, Grosjean even split the Red Bull cars at the US grand Prix.
The races Kimi won though I'd say the car was no better than third best. Even if there were times when it was best or second best.