Helmut Marco wants telemetry and radios banned

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
wire2004

Helmut Marco wants telemetry and radios banned

Post by wire2004 »

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/ ... urce=upday

Link here.

And you know something. I agree. Get rid of telemetry and pit to car radios.
Why we are at it. Let's Also get rid of flappy paddle gearboxes and have a H pattern gearbox again. Hell. Let's even give them a foot clutch.

Its little things like that that will make a world of change. World of difference and challenge the drivers.

pokerman

Re: Helmut Marco wants telemetry and radios banned

Post by pokerman »

Red Bull aren't winning so want things changing, it's just an engineering challenge so that wasn't the case when Red Bull were winning?

Hamilton wins because he has the best engine, that wasn't the case in 2018 and 2019, it's true that Red Bull don't have the best engine but let's blame F1 and specifically not Honda because we wouldn't want to go down that route again.

Banning this, banning that, let's keep banning until we find the winning formula for ourselves.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:19 am
Red Bull aren't winning so want things changing, it's just an engineering challenge so that wasn't the case when Red Bull were winning?

Hamilton wins because he has the best engine, that wasn't the case in 2018 and 2019, it's true that Red Bull don't have the best engine but let's blame F1 and specifically not Honda because we wouldn't want to go down that route again.

Banning this, banning that, let's keep banning until we find the winning formula for ourselves.
Radio ban has been discussed for years, here, this is what Wolff was saying back in 2016 about the radio ban (hint; he likes it):

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/12314 ... ate-errors

I disagree about banning telemetry, but the radio ban will stop engineers helping the drivers.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Haven’t they tried banning radio and it didn’t work well? Rosberg got a penalty because they told him what to do to avoid a failure which just seemed daft at Silverstone if I remember correctly. Perhaps they could give it another go, but this time give it more thought beforehand.

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Not sure you could have an F1 car with an H pattern box any more.

I do agree that limiting telemetry and radio comms would make the sport purer.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Siao7 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:55 pm
pokerman wrote:

Radio ban has been discussed for years, here, this is what Wolff was saying back in 2016 about the radio ban (hint; he likes it):

I disagree about banning telemetry, but the radio ban will stop engineers helping the drivers.
In respect to Marko though 90% of his rant is against Mercedes, so I position his telemetry and radio bans as just another means to try and stop Mercedes from winning, Red Bull don't do anything for the betterment of the sport that doesn't have the priority of helping them at some level.

Part of the idea I believe is too target reliability problems to make things more of a crap shoot were we have the ridulous situation were Button had to pit with a brake issue because the team were unable to tell him over the radio which settings to change.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

JN23 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:58 pm
Haven’t they tried banning radio and it didn’t work well? Rosberg got a penalty because they told him what to do to avoid a failure which just seemed daft at Silverstone if I remember correctly. Perhaps they could give it another go, but this time give it more thought beforehand.
The compaint was about driver coaching but the FIA in their wisdom decided to ban all in car radio.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Good for him. Radio communication should be for safety messages only. Fed up of teams and drivers working out exactly what pace to drive at on each and every lap, based on thousands of variables with their car and what other drivers are doing. Similarly, although less important for me, telemetry could be got rid of too.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:53 pm
Siao7 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:55 pm
pokerman wrote:

In respect to Marko though 90% of his rant is against Mercedes, so I position his telemetry and radio bans as just another means to try and stop Mercedes from winning, Red Bull don't do anything for the betterment of the sport that doesn't have the priority of helping them at some level.

Part of the idea I believe is too target reliability problems to make things more of a crap shoot were we have the ridulous situation were Button had to pit with a brake issue because the team were unable to tell him over the radio which settings to change.
This doesn't make it wrong. Radio comms has been discussed extensively, before Marko's comments. Teams can still use the good old pit-boards to relay messages, or just leave it to the drivers to figure it out.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:56 pm
Good for him. Radio communication should be for safety messages only. Fed up of teams and drivers working out exactly what pace to drive at on each and every lap, based on thousands of variables with their car and what other drivers are doing. Similarly, although less important for me, telemetry could be got rid of too.
Telemetry can be very helpful for things like incidents, etc., I do not mind that. Radio should be for safety only, that's it.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:55 pm
JN23 wrote:
The compaint was about driver coaching but the FIA in their wisdom decided to ban all in car radio.
Yeah that's my point. You can ban driver coaching on for example where to save the tyres or where to save fuel but don't ban communication that would mean someone has to take a penalty or retire.

Another consequence of banning radio, would that effectively put an end to team orders issued over the radio?

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

JN23 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:50 pm
pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:55 pm
JN23 wrote:
Yeah that's my point. You can ban driver coaching on for example where to save the tyres or where to save fuel but don't ban communication that would mean someone has to take a penalty or retire.

Another consequence of banning radio, would that effectively put an end to team orders issued over the radio?
It can be one way communication only. Driver reporting things back and if necessary they can show him messages in the pit boards. For critical stuff they could be allowed to communicate. It will be difficult though, so just banning it would be the easy solution. Spicing up the race is exactly the thing they were looking for, so someone retiring wouldn't be a biggie in my view.

I would imagine that team orders can be easily agreed before the race, who gets priority in what scenario.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Siao7 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:44 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:56 pm
Telemetry can be very helpful for things like incidents, etc., I do not mind that. Radio should be for safety only, that's it.
I agree. I think I typed my point badly. I'd like telemetry to be banned other than on grounds of safety, just like radio, but if only one was to go, I would always choose radio to be banned over telemetry.

j man

Post by j man »

I think banning radio communication during the race could be a big positive step, I hate all this micromanaging of the drivers through the race. Switch to this mode, use third gear in Turn 4, meet this target lap time etc. F1 has always been both a driving and engineering competition, and while all this radio chatter and constant management of things is clearly eroding the drivers' autonomy and ability to individually influence the race, it is also detracting from the engineering aspect. Has the team messed up their calculations? Is the car overheating, unable to handle the level of vibration from running over kerbs or using too much fuel? No problem, just get on the radio and tell the driver to slow down, short shift, leave a gap to the car in front, avoid the kerbs at the chicane. It's allowing the engineering team to dig themselves out of a hole and thus they design things much closer to the limits, knowing it can be managed later if they've pushed the margins too much. Where's the challenge in that?

Prior to the race through practice and qualifying I say they can collect whatever data and communicate however they like. But once the lights go out on race day the driver should be on their own. Race Control can handle any crucial safety information.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Yep, the micromanaging is dreadful. The excitement we get as fans when someone like Kimi or Max basically tell their team to shut up and they then just race as they want, would be even better if they were all doing it on every lap of every race.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

(deleted my first sarcastic response...)

I don't agree. Formula 1 is a team sport, and it's a technology sport. Any regressive changes designed to recapture the 'magic' of a previous era (which usually wasn't any better once you take off the heavily tinted glasses) goes against the F1 I want to see.

Crofty tried to get Nico Rosberg to agree to some of these ideas when he was commentating in practice, and Nico was having none of it. I'm with Nico.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Exediron wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:03 pm

I don't agree. Formula 1 is a team sport, and it's a technology sport. Any regressive changes designed to recapture the 'magic' of a previous era (which usually wasn't any better once you take off the heavily tinted glasses) goes against the F1 I want to see.

Crofty tried to get Nico Rosberg to agree to some of these ideas when he was commentating in practice, and Nico was having none of it. I'm with Nico.
Moto GP is no less a team sport or technology sport than F1, but they have very limited info coming on to a tiny dashboard and apart from that, they use pit boards on a lap by lap basis. Their lack of radio communication does not detract from the racing in any way. In fact, we possibly saw it make for a far more exciting final lap on Sunday because of a dodgy pit board shown as the leader passed the start finish for the penultimate time.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

I'm not sure were all this goes, some people apparently want to see cars retiring, I want to see all cars racing.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

My question's are this... Does radio usage do anything at all too make the sport more exciting? and is it in anyway unsporting to not have the radio?

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:33 pm
My question's are this... Does radio usage do anything at all too make the sport more exciting? and is it in anyway unsporting to not have the radio?
Radio usage is obviously a necessity, so we're really talking about the degrees of radio usage. Otherwise we end up in a situation where the team can't tell a driver his brakes are about to fail.

I don't like driver micromanagement across the radio any more than the next fan, but I don't see how it's different from any other sport. Every athlete is coached and told what to do; it's only in motorsport where we have this naive idea that the drivers are heroes out alone in their cars wrestling with the car unassisted.
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019

JN23

Post by JN23 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Extreme example but one I was thinking about before. If there was no team radio, we wouldn’t have had the excitement of Norris’ last lap at Austria as he chased down the five second gap to Hamilton to get on the podium.

It was exciting to watch and a lot of people loved it, but his engineer told him engine modes and how to deploy his energy. Perhaps there are people out there who thought that coaching took away from the excitement but I haven’t seen anyone complain. That doesn’t mean there haven’t been complaints.

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Getting the balance between driving and piloting.

At the moment I feel its tipped too far to piloting.

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Radio is the only time we get to hear a driver's personality while out on track. Without radio, there is no character, only cars driving around, with us unknown to what emotions each driver is going through at the time.

Get rid of driver coaching on how to corner faster or conserve tyres, but keep as much as possible otherwise.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:00 am
Get rid of driver coaching on how to corner faster or conserve tyres, but keep as much as possible otherwise.
But it obviously doesn't work anyway! Bottas was getting told what to do with his tyres the whole race, and he ended up half a minute behind Hamilton because he just couldn't do it. Albon at the end of the race was ranting on the radio about how he doesn't know what he can do better with the tyres and how he's simply not able to do better.

Anti-radio people would have you believe that the radio coaching eliminates the driver skill element, but you don't have to look very closely to tell that it does no such thing. It's still up to the drivers to act on the information they're given.

What I don't like personally is the power setting stuff, with engineers telling drivers when to turn up the engine or specifically what mode is 'available'. I don't feel that's how it should work: unless the driver is actually putting their car in jeopardy by what they're about to do, I feel they should be able to make that decision themselves.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

JN23 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:17 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Extreme example but one I was thinking about before. If there was no team radio, we wouldn’t have had the excitement of Norris’ last lap at Austria as he chased down the five second gap to Hamilton to get on the podium.

It was exciting to watch and a lot of people loved it, but his engineer told him engine modes and how to deploy his energy. Perhaps there are people out there who thought that coaching took away from the excitement but I haven’t seen anyone complain. That doesn’t mean there haven’t been complaints.
That was a great last lap that clearly benefited from radio calls, but it was also a once in a blue moon situation. Sadly, micromanaging happens lap after lap in each and every race.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Exediron wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:03 pm

Not sure about "recapturing the magic", but we've seen changes in F1 (return to turbos, return to slick tyres, return to no refuelling, etc.) that were not really regressive, nor did they really mess with the sport.

I do not think anyone advocates a complete ban on radio, but the coaching is plain bad.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:49 pm
I'm not sure were all this goes, some people apparently want to see cars retiring, I want to see all cars racing.
How is "let them race without coaching" equalling that people WANT to see cars retiring???

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Exediron wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:58 am
But it obviously doesn't work anyway! Bottas was getting told what to do with his tyres the whole race, and he ended up half a minute behind Hamilton because he just couldn't do it. Albon at the end of the race was ranting on the radio about how he doesn't know what he can do better with the tyres and how he's simply not able to do better.

Anti-radio people would have you believe that the radio coaching eliminates the driver skill element, but you don't have to look very closely to tell that it does no such thing. It's still up to the drivers to act on the information they're given.

What I don't like personally is the power setting stuff, with engineers telling drivers when to turn up the engine or specifically what mode is 'available'. I don't feel that's how it should work: unless the driver is actually putting their car in jeopardy by what they're about to do, I feel they should be able to make that decision themselves.
Maybe Bottas is not as good as Hamilton!!!

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Radio is the only time we get to hear a driver's personality while out on track. Without radio, there is no character, only cars driving around, with us unknown to what emotions each driver is going through at the time.

One way radio (from driver reporting back) would not stop you listening to the drivers. And the emotions are quite easy to guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OqheHdRGKI

:lol:

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Exediron wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:58 am

Very true, I do agree to a good extent. In Silverstone, I believe it was Bottas that was told his tyre temperatures were too high in corner X - information I believe should be banned from providing. The effectiveness of coaching on how to go quicker in certain areas is probably minimal, but I still would suggest it being banned.

On power settings, I think you make a good point. Drivers should be fully aware of the risk/reward ratio before the race, and perhaps they should be advised less on how to moderate power throughout the race optimally.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Herb

Post by Herb »

Didn't we try this already a couple of years ago?

It was a bit half-assed, but it didn't last long.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

I would agree with the driver coaching but not the knee jerk reaction to ban everything like we saw with the FIA last time out.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Siao7 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:41 am
pokerman wrote:
How is "let them race without coaching" equalling that people WANT to see cars retiring???
Some clearly want to see a ban on everything, is that not were we started out with Marko?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

It's clear that at this time, drivers aren't driving the car alone and unaided. It's an old idea, but Marko is right.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:42 pm
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Some clearly want to see a ban on everything, is that not were we started out with Marko?
I thought you meant people in the forum, so apologies if I got that wrong.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Whom would that be?

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Some of the best memories ive had from f1 come from radio messages. Who can forget “leave me alone i know what im doing” ?
I also think it provides further insight on who is struggling and why. Like it has already been said coaching on the radio doesnt really help. So no i dont agree with Marko at all. The guy is never right bout anything anyway.

Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

I can see going back to more of a driver coaching ban, although not to the ridiculous point it was at last time where the engineers weren't even supposed to tell drivers that their brakes were failing - telling drivers how to take the corners may not work, but I do think both that and telling them when to switch engine modes and such are against the spirit of the rules - but the rest of that belongs in a separate Formula Retro series, not F1 as it is.

I would also disagree that we have only an engineer's championship at this point. We have both, which is what it should be; the driver does make a difference (see why it's Hamilton winning the championships, not Bottas), but the car is the bigger thing. And that's how it's always been in F1, even before there was an official team championship. The driver used to make more of a difference because there was more of a skill gap between drivers than there is now; I don't think any amount of changing up the regulations would bring that back.
Qualifying Prediction Game 2019 Champion [8 wins]
Pick 10: 2016: 22nd | 2017: 21st | 2018: 3rd | 2019: 20th
Top Three: 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th] | 2018: 4th [4th] | 2019: 3rd [1st]

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:18 pm
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Whom would that be?
Read the opening post.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:42 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:18 pm
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Whom would that be?
Read the opening post.
I have and that is by no means wanting to get rid of everything. Yet again, you clearly overplay things and basically appear to simply lie on threads.