WHY are you a fan of your favourite driver(s)?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Invade

WHY are you a fan of your favourite driver(s)?

Post by Invade »

What are the attributes and qualities which cause you to be a fan of your favourite drivers? Is it driving style, personality, nationality, team affiliation, relatability, so on? Is it who they oppose and thus their adversarial virtue against the "enemy"? Is it the promise of glory? Is it the underdog story? Or is it simply that they were at the right place at the right time, coincidentally the first one to make an impression at the beginning phases of becoming a fan of the sport?

Whatever the aspects, reasons and virtues are, I wanna hear 'em.

I hope you don't mind.

Exediron

Re: WHY are you a fan of your favourite driver(s)?

Post by Exediron »

Don't mind at all - great question, in fact!

I'm a team first, driver second type of fan. I typically do have a favorite at any given time, but not always. Currently I have no clear favorite (aside from the Macca drivers by default) but a few drivers I like. When Alonso returns next year he will retake his position as my favorite driver, so I'll answer about him.

I actually wasn't a fan of Alonso for quite a long time: I disliked him for being part of the toxicity at McLaren that led to them (us!) losing a championship in 2007. It wasn't until he was at Ferrari going up against Vettel in an inferior car and coming so close that I started to appreciate him, but throughout that period I wasn't convinced he was really the best.

It was actually in 2014 that Alonso became my favorite driver. When I witnessed the heroics he was performing in that awful car, I became convinced that he really was the best and had been all along, and I suppose it was some mixture of admiration and sympathy that led me to support him.

Since then, I also like the way he's experimenting with other championships and putting himself out there.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I've never really been a fan of any driver since Jean Alesi.

There are drivers that I rate higher than most people rate them and thus want to be proven correct. Or drivers I think receive a disproportionate amount of criticism. Verstappen for example is one that I felt in his earlier years seemed to get hammered for doing things others always got a pass on so I ended up defending him a lot. Perez is another who I have always rated as the best of the midfield pack of drivers and still do. I'm always pleased to see him do well but only because it confirms my theory rather than because I have anything emotionally invested in him personally.

I

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Currently I'm not a fan of a specific driver, although I do have soft spots and few dislikes, like everyone I guess. I have to say, this makes it easier to judge races! Does this mean I was a fanboy? Not sure, as I always tried to be fair with my favourite driver. It didn't help that he was the biggest villain after Senna, but hey ho.

I think F1Mercenary summed it up perfectly recently; I've never witnessed anyone obliterating a field (at times) like that. He was a very clever cat, skilled, a proper machine behind the wheel. And relentless. No matter what was happening or how good/bad his car was, he'd always be cutting it at the front somehow. I'm not old enough to have caught races before the 90's, but only Alonso comes close to this skill of managing a way to drive around problems and putting the car in places it didn't deserve (as stupid as this sounds, obviously it deserved it if it got there, but you know what I mean). Of course he wasn't alone in his exploits, he had a brilliant team behind him (yes, brilliant team and Ferrari in the same sentence, as weird as it sounds nowadays!), but he took it to the next level.

Despite that, he had some brain farts. As in proper brain farts. A couple of very dangerous ones too. It is a shame that he fell victim of the Senna cult and stole pages from his book, as he had the skills to win without shenanigans. But I will never understand how it polarised people so much. I still remember a poster here in the older days ranting about Schumacher, what an evil driver he was and how dare he shunt Sato out of the way like that: turned out that he/she was looking at the title of a youtube video of an F1 sim game (didn't even watched it as it would have been very obvious that it was a game and not a real race)... Oh well.

Anyway, it is important to remember these faults and they do add to the character, but it should detract from the fact that as a driver, he was second to none in his time. It is a shame, it is all about the legacy after all and as Woody Harelson said in "play it to the bone", a man builds a thousand bridges, but...

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

Sometimes I'm not sure that what I like is the exact same thing that people around me like. Or at least that I like it the same way. Even attending a concert, I sometimes feel other people around me, not me of course, are there for wrong reasons. :smug:

Motor racing is something that comes from my childhood and matured in my teen years. My oldest memory is reading short news about the death of Von Trips, at the age you read anything that looks like words, because you just started to read... Go figure !
I always took motor racing as a whole story (and history), a fascinating story of races built around tremendous cars, brave and talented drivers, tracks etc. I can't say I ever got one favourite driver. I look, always did, at the whole bunch of drivers as different characters of the story. I can't deny that there are some that I appreciate more than others, just like you do with any character in any story and in real life. I can't deny either that I don't like the way the story developed, and that I find today's characters less fascinating (but not less interesting), the cars a lot more ugly, and that the last 10 or more chapters of the show tend to tarnish the whole saga.
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

I don't think I'm much of a fan of anybody's, but I do tend to support drivers of my own nationality, drivers with pleasant personalities and underdogs in general.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Interestingly, everyone who has answered so far has said they don't have a strong favorite at present! :D
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Exediron wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:58 am
Interestingly, everyone who has answered so far has said they don't have a strong favorite at present! :D
It's because Poker hasn't replied yet! :]

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

Exediron wrote:
Well i'll change that.

Ricciardo.

Why?
1. Australian.
2. Damn good driver.
3. Damn good bloke.

Still not convinced he made the right move leaving Renault for Macca even though that'll mean my favorite driver will be with my favorite team.

Time will tell I spose.
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

I started watching F1 in earnest in the mid-80s and, being a UK person, this was an our-Nige-takes-on-the-likes-of-Prost-Piquet-and-Senna time. Yes, I instantly became a Nigel Mansell fan. Great driver, albeit with an I-got-here-the-hard-way-and-it's-the-world-against-me attitude, and the only driver to have been both F1 and Indycar champion at the same time! Became a Jenson Button fan in 2000 - I guess that, having grown up in the South West region of the UK I felt a bit more of a 'regional' affinity to him than other Brits on the grid.
Over the years though I've drifted more to the spectacle as a whole (even if that spectacle has dwindled somewhat!) and away from any specific driver.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Covalent wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:21 am
I don't think I'm much of a fan of anybody's, but I do tend to support drivers of my own nationality, drivers with pleasant personalities and underdogs in general.
I just realized that one major factor in whether I support a driver or not is his fanbase. A few drivers have such off-putting fans that I can't bear to (openly) support them. So quite often I find myself supporting the quiet guys with very few fans (related to the underdogs-part I guess) :lol:

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Siao7 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 am
Exediron wrote:
It's because Poker hasn't replied yet! :]
Maybe I'm just more honest. :)

Some people would like to confer they are unbiased then their posts will look to carry more weight, if they don't have a favourite then I would be thinking that some certainly have drivers they don't like.

As Spanners of MissedApex would say, there's no such thing as an unbiased F1 fan. :)
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

j man

Post by j man »

I've been a fan of Lewis Hamilton ever since he stuck it round the outside of his team mate Alonso at turn 1 in Australia. He's always been exciting to watch, I like how he's always worn his emotions so openly and his route to F1 is one that I find inspiring.

Oddly apart from Lewis I've never really supported the British drivers. I generally get frustrated by the disproportionate and sometimes delusional levels of hype they receive from the British press. The idea that David Coulthard and Damon Hill were somehow worthy competition to Schumacher. The fury over the "wonderkid" Jenson Button being replaced at Renault by this unknown Spaniard Alonso. Paul di Resta deserves a top seat. How unlucky Jolyon Palmer is. It put me off the lot of them. At least Lewis lived up to the hype.

f1madman

Post by f1madman »

Hamilton one of the greatest talents and drivers to have entered F1, despite all his hardships. Being British helped initially too
Pathfinder

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Tunnel-vision. Tenacity. The desire to win, even if it means losing a lot. Bravery. Honesty with boldness.

All words I'd use to describe the drivers, and sports players in general, I admire a lot. Ronaldo, Dorian Yates, and maybe Rafa Nadal are examples of other sports people.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Well with a lot of people, it tends to be obvious if they have a driver that they very often defend or discuss. And I assume to everyone that it is pretty obvious in my case that is Bottas.

When I started watching all the way through a season was 2014 and back then I did seem to start to sort of believe the hype about Bottas which made me follow him closer. I have always liked his personality but can see that people think he is boring. But I respect that he is hard on himself and even in the heat of the moment will accept if he is to blame for his performance. Though he has been saying a few odd things recently. But I think Hamilton makes him look worse than he is.

He clearly isn't at the level that I thought he could be, but still think his driving style is good for the team he is now in as being a team mate to Hamilton.

As people will have noticed, I also very often defend drivers that have been doing a poor job (or appear to be). Especially Kvyat since he left Red Bull and Grosjean over the past few seasons.

When it was announced that Kvyat would be going to Red Bull, I thought he was very over rated and that should have been vergne. I really do wonder if vergne may still be in the team now had that been the case. But Kvyat didn't look great as I expected, but I think the team really ruined his career. Since then, I've for some reason been a fan of his and don't think he's quite as bad as he's looked. Especially this season.

I have to ask myself why I like Grosjean, but for some reason, I always have. His in car radio moaning is probably about the worst sounding on the grid. But when he's out of the car, I would say he probably has one of the nicest personalities on the grid. He's got a smile a bit like Ricciardo too! And one thing I've noticed more recently is that I think his moaning is what gets prioritised to broadcast live. When you search in more depth, he actually gives a lot of compliments and helpful advice to his team for the work they have done. I think he is quite possibly better than average in terms of technical feedback. They could do with a better driver, but I can also see reasons for keeping him. I think both he and the team respect each other more than most realise. Despite liking him, I thought at the beginning of 2018, he was the worst on the grid. Since then and the 2019 season, I thought he looked back to being decent and actually very good at times. This season seems to have gone backwards a little, but still don't think he's quite as bad as others think. I've read up more about Haas's races more than any other teams and reading into a lot that happens, I still don't understand why he gets quite the level of criticism that he does.

In terms of drivers I don't like, a strange pattern emerges. When I first started watching F1 when I was much younger, I got it into my head that I wouldn't like Vettel because he won all the time and I got sick of it :D But I actually quite like Vettel since I started watching every race. I've never really liked Hamilton. You may question if it is for the same reason as thinking I didn't like Vettel when he was dominating, but no, it is more for his personality that I'm just not keen on. The way he speaks on live TV feels very robotic and he often says things that simply seemed programmed in and don't always make sense. Like his radio messages for example. Can you ever trust what he says such as "these tyres are done" and then he vertually always doesn't have any issue. It seems harsh, but a lot of the time, I just struggle to make a lot of sense of what he says. When things are more casual, he comes across a lot better though.

Then the other one is Verstappen. This is what I mean. Why does it happen to be the two best drivers by far that I don't like as much? I may change my mind soon about Verstappen as the way he kept so calm when he crashed in Hungary and the level of respect he had for the team was really good to see. His recent amusing radio messages also seem to be showing he is changing a bit despite the car not being great all the time. Having said that, he still has his pointless anger at times which sometimes puts me off liking him again.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Don't support specific drivers as the Italian branch of my family got me in to Ferrari when I was of single figure age, not simply the F1 team but the brand in general. To this day, a lot of years later, I still follow Ferrari in all forms of motorsport and I'm also pretty much an anorak when it comes to their road cars too!

However, I've also had a really soft spot for Williams and if it were allowed, I have certainly supported them as a second team throughout my life.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

First of all I am a fan of several drivers for different reasons.

Hamilton is a driver whom I detested initially for no other reason than his brash and brazen way of taking the fight to his reigning 2x Champion teammate Alonso in 2007. For whatever dumb reason, it bothered me and I found myself upset whenever he was battling and shoving off Alonso or banging wheels with him.

Then one day it hit me… Why the hell does this kid bother me so?
From then on I made it a point to pay closer attention to what he was doing and how well he was driving instead of being annoyed by this kid, and I'm glad i did.

Vettel is one who from the start showed excellence but flew under the radar until he got his moment and he ran with it. From then on he was one to watch and although for the most part he's a really good guy, he did some pretty crappy things and made dumb mistakes and blamed others, particularly his teammate Mark Webber.

Alonso is just one of the countless gems discovered and brought up to F1 by Minardi and then filtered through the Renault system and though he was solid from his first time in an F1 car, didn't come to be a supremely talented driver until he got a top car from Renault. From then on the guy showed sensational ability and has served as a benchmark for excellence and consistency.

Lance Stroll… This kid is one who constantly receives much too harsh criticism and is more often than not driving exceptionally well. In 2019 he overtook more cars on the opening lap than anyone else. He drives cleanly and fairly, and yields results that are better than anyone anticipated.
On top of it all he has an excellent attitude and demeanor and carries himself in a very polite, respectful and eloquent manner. Really like this kid.

Leclerc… Outside his rare whining the kid is sensational and all-around solid, and he's mature beyond his years. If Ferrari get their act together, he will provide many years of exciting

Verstappen… Supremely talented… BUT is still a bit too arrogant for his own good at times and unnecessarily so.

Kvyat… I've always liked him quite a bit and his demotion from Red Bull was total Bull (no pun intended) and his response to Vettel in the cooldown room was spot on. I think he's struggling a bit with the car this year, but I'm hopeful he'll get on track and bounce back with excellent performances.

Sainz… What's not to like about him really?? He's fast, he's fair and just gets on with the program.

Norris… Such a wonderfully upbeat kid. Always smiling and in good spirits, his sensitivity on a personal side is quite refreshing and his radio messages are gold.

Kimi… One of the cleanest drivers ever. Drives hard but fair and his Don't Give a Sh** attitude is awesome. He's actually really funny and the life of the party but keeps up the facade that he's quiet and reserved or just that he's the Iceman. LOL Kimi has a keen ability to convey to the engineers what a car is doing and what it's lacking and doing, and he's particular to cars with more responsive and sensitive front ends. LOVE his driving style. Also the only driver who's looked cool with the long hair.

Magnussen… Really dig his tenacious attitude, but he can play a little less rough out there. Shows real ability when the car is good and he's always wanting to push, even when his team tells him to maintain pace.

Ricciardo… A sensational talent, finally seems to have gotten the insane out of control Kamikaze divebombs out of his system and seems to always extract the maximum performance both from himself and his car.

Ocon… A tidy driver with innate ability. Hopefully Renault FINALLY builds a good performing car so he can shine, or someone gives him a shot on a better team with a better car. I think in a top performing car he would do exceedingly well.

Perez… A really excellent driver who more often than not gets more of of his car than his teammates and has the ability to make his tires last longer than most. He also happens to be a nice guy and always pleasant in interviews and represents the sport in a positive light.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

I started paying close attention to F1 in 2012 because a friend kept on telling me that there are 3 incredible world champions on the grid and it's an unbelievable championship, that this is a special era blah blah blah... So after an introduction to the Senna documentary, I started following every race since midway through the 2012 season. Alonso was doing great, always achieving the maximum, but he came across as cocky to me, as he always felt he had to remind you that he was the best. Vettel was seen as the guy in the best car but was always very fast and often on pole, waving finger and all, and then there was Hamilton, the guy with the worst luck it seemed. While his teammate was complaining that he was driving the worst Mclaren of his career, Hamilton was putting it on pole, winning races, amidst all those team issues, reliability problems. I was instantly drawn in. I was like; this guy is pretty damn good. Though I could not care less about his off the track activities, his crazy girfriend Nicole and their off and on relationship. Then it was announced that he would go to Mercedes and my first thought was that he was going to be buried in the midfield forever. Out of all the sportsmen and sports women I root for he has obviously brought me the most satisfaction, the most wins. I'm happy I picked the right guy out of that trio. LOL

Charles LeBrad

Post by Charles LeBrad »

I became a fan of F1 via Champcars. I was a huge Champcar fan in the mid-90's, particularly Target/Chip Ganassi Racing. When my favourite driver Zanardi went to Williams, I started becoming a casual viewer or F1, just to see how he went. I then became a huge fan of Montoya, so him moving to F1 was the catalyst for me watching more frequently. After Champcar merged with Indy, I then switched F1 and started following Williams due to their Champcar connections.

In terms of drivers, I've always been a fan of those aggressive, "drive it like you stole it" kind of drivers. So I've found myself drawn to your Montoya's, Zanardi's, Verstappen's and Ricciardo's in F1, and you Paul Tracy's in Champcars. I also enjoy drivers with a bit of personality, so my favourite drivers at the moment are Kimi and Danny Ric