Driver(s) of the Day - 2020 70th Anniversary Grand Prix

Post by UnlikeUday »

For me,

Verstappen, Leclerc & Albon
Feel The Fourth

Greenman

Re: Driver(s) of the Day - 2020 70th Anniversary Grand Prix

Post by Greenman »

Whichever strategist, engineer or manager made the decision for Verstappen to qualify on hards.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Verstappen.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Verstappen and Leclerc

and maybe Ocon

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Verstappen was great, but so was his car. I put Leclerc top because his car is a real dog!
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Also Hulk is close as I think his finishing position was dictated by a crazy extra stop. Would like some clarification as to why that was made.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Leclerc, making a one-stopper work in that car.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:47 pm
Also Hulk is close as I think his finishing position was dictated by a crazy extra stop. Would like some clarification as to why that was made.
Swapped the posiitons because points are better for Stroll, Perez will be back for the next race.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

JN23

Post by JN23 »

pokerman wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:50 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Swapped the posiitons because points are better for Stroll, Perez will be back for the next race.
He had vibrations I believe and RP didn't want to throw away needless points.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Verstappen, Leclerc, Hulkenberg.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

JN23 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:52 pm
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
The timing of Hulk's second stop was also really odd.

It's all about making Stroll look good.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Verstappen and Leclerc were brilliant. Not sure who to give my third vote to, Hulk and Ocon did good races.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:45 pm
Verstappen and Leclerc

and maybe Ocon
Last two races Ocon has put himself back where you'd expect him to be compared to Ricciardo.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Verstappen and Leclerc for me.

Max is really driving at an amazing level every weekend and Leclerc is so often putting that Ferrari where it doesn't belong. Honorable mentions to Albon. He is pretty dynamic in the races, but his qualifying performances are pretty dreadful. Hulk should have beaten Stroll, but I guess he wasn't allowed?
Lewis was very average today. I think Bottas outperformed him on pace really, but somehow he still extends the gap in the championship because he benefited from a better strategy.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Verstappen and Leclerc are obvious votes, and Kimi Raikkonen my third vote for making a one stopper work and leapfrogging the Haas.

cmberry20

Post by cmberry20 »

Obviously the person voting for Vettel has got a dose of sun stroke

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Verstappen and Leclerc.

The main big losers are probably vettel, Ricciardo and Magnussen.

TheGiantHogweed

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:53 pm
JN23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

You may have seen the reason by now, but I can't agree in the slightest even when the reason was not known that it could have been "all about making Stroll look good." That is just ridiculous. An understandable reason if it was deliberately done will have been to allow Stroll to beat him for the sake of championship points given Stroll needs them more than Hulkenberg given he is a permanent driver. But there has actually been confirmation and that was that hulkenberg had extreme vibration and almost certainly won't have made it to the end without pitting. This in the end makes me think they won't even have swapped places had it not been for this. Obviously Hulkengerg has only just come back into F1, but it did show that despite Hulkenberg being the one in clean air, Stroll behind him did manage his tyres better. I seriously doubt the team will have done anything to deliberately make Stroll look better. In the end though, he did manage his tyres better and got the better result - So I'd say he earned that rather than was given it.

https://twitter.com/RacingPointF1/statu ... 020_-_Race

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:10 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:53 pm
JN23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

You may have seen the reason by now, but I can't agree in the slightest even when the reason was not known that it could have been "all about making Stroll look good." That is just ridiculous. An understandable reason if it was deliberately done will have been to allow Stroll to beat him for the sake of championship points given Stroll needs them more than Hulkenberg given he is a permanent driver. But there has actually been confirmation and that was that hulkenberg had extreme vibration and almost certainly won't have made it to the end without pitting. This in the end makes me think they won't even have swapped places had it not been for this. Obviously Hulkengerg has only just come back into F1, but it did show that despite Hulkenberg being the one in clean air, Stroll behind him did manage his tyres better. I seriously doubt the team will have done anything to deliberately make Stroll look better. In the end though, he did manage his tyres better and got the better result - So I'd say he earned that rather than was given it.

https://twitter.com/RacingPointF1/statu ... 020_-_Race
Yes and given that Hulkenberg hadn't done a race in this car before today, you'd expect him to struggle a bit in terms of management and in fact a bit of race pace. I think he can be very proud of his weekend though.

The fact that the Hulk has brutally exposed the lack of quali pace of the main RP drivers though, and made it very obvious why they need a driver of Vettel's calibre.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Leclerc put in the best driving performance today, as Max was not really pushed after the Mercedes pitted. However Max made that happen by correctly pushing the Mercs when their mediums were starting to wear out. Had he listened to his pit wall it's possible Mercedes would have been handed the luxury of managing the pace. I still think Max would have won but it is dangerous to let Mercedes dictate the play.

On the same token, Hamilton did manage to earn himself second place by prolonging the second stint on tyres that teams would normally pit on, allowing him to be able to push hard on a short final stint while Bottas was stuck shadowing a cruising Verstappen. However I only voted for Leclerc and Max because I feel that Hamilton managed his first stint poorly by his usual standards.

TheGiantHogweed

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:24 pm
Leclerc put in the best driving performance today, as Max was not really pushed after the Mercedes pitted. However Max made that happen by correctly pushing the Mercs when their mediums were starting to wear out. Had he listened to his pit wall it's possible Mercedes would have been handed the luxury of managing the pace. I still think Max would have won but it is dangerous to let Mercedes dictate the play.

On the same token, Hamilton did manage to earn himself second place by prolonging the second stint on tyres that teams would normally pit on, allowing him to be able to push hard on a short final stint while Bottas was stuck shadowing a cruising Verstappen. However I only voted for Leclerc and Max because I feel that Hamilton managed his first stint poorly by his usual standards.
I think most drivers that had done a similar number of laps and were running quite close to the car ahead had problems with their tyres - other than Red Bull and Ferrari didn't seem that bad either. Hamilton seemed to get serious blistering in the 1st and 2nd stint. I think it was simply that when he pitted, he was pretty much in clean air and had a significent advantage over Bottas that that made his stint look better than the others. Had him and Bottas pitted at the same time more or less, I think Hamilton as the car behind will have had the same problem as the first 2 stints. So many drivers suffered badly today with the tyres. Gasly's possibly looked the worst of anybody's at one point.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Adding to Leclerc's case, he's the one who pushed hard for the one-stop strategy despite fears from the team, and kept reminding them to stick to plan C. He was the director.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:34 pm
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

I think most drivers that had done a similar number of laps and were running quite close to the car ahead had problems with their tyres - other than Red Bull and Ferrari didn't seem that bad either. Hamilton seemed to get serious blistering in the 1st and 2nd stint. I think it was simply that when he pitted, he was pretty much in clean air and had a significent advantage over Bottas that that made his stint look better than the others. Had him and Bottas pitted at the same time more or less, I think Hamilton as the car behind will have had the same problem as the first 2 stints. So many drivers suffered badly today with the tyres. Gasly's possibly looked the worst of anybody's at one point.
I am not talking about Hamilton's third stint, see the highlighted part.

TheGiantHogweed

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:57 pm
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:34 pm
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

I am not talking about Hamilton's third stint, see the highlighted part.
I am aware of what you mean, and me saying when he pitted I thought should suggest that I was aware that he had gone longer on the tyres. But what I don't get is why Bottas pitted and Hamilton didn't. It is quite clear that bottas could have done the same - or even gone longer than Hamilton in the 2nd stint as his tyres were far better. If Botats was instructed to come in, it literally will have been last moment as he was barely behind verstappen so I don't think he will have had any time to make up his mind. But I think it was wrong for him to pit then. I don't think either Hamilton or Bottas should get any votes this weekend, but if either one was better, I think I would say it was Bottas this time and he was just unlucky.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

I thought Bottas pit because that was the strategy, Hamilton is the second car so can do a different strategy to the first car and he stayed out longer which most people thought would happen before the race. Hamilton did well in the second stint and earned his 2nd place
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Invade

Post by Invade »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:16 pm
I thought Bottas pit because that was the strategy, Hamilton is the second car so can do a different strategy to the first car and he stayed out longer which most people thought would happen before the race. Hamilton did well in the second stint and earned his 2nd place

Yeh I kinda agree. At the same time, Hamilton was given that chance to shine a bit more than Bottas. Would Bottas have performed similarly in the reverse situation? Based on what was shown I suppose Hamilton did better, and perhaps the assumption from many is that given Bottas had similar general pace that he'd have just done the same performance, comfortably replicable, and that he's simply been unlucky.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I think Bottas was given the theoretically faster strategy. Hamilton just executed better.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Just read Wolff said the information gathered from Bottas's pit stop regarding the tyres meant there was enough rubber to extend the stint.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Verstappen, LeClerc, Hamilton.
Mission WinLater

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Invade wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:54 pm
Adding to Leclerc's case, he's the one who pushed hard for the one-stop strategy despite fears from the team, and kept reminding them to stick to plan C. He was the director.
I didn't know that actually, thanks!

I voted for Verstappen and Leclerc. Both of them seemed to outperform expectations for their cars and delivered big results. No one else really stood out to the same level for me.
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:22 pm
The fact that the Hulk has brutally exposed the lack of quali pace of the main RP drivers though, and made it very obvious why they need a driver of Vettel's calibre.
Bold of you to say that after the way Vettel has been performing lately...
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Exediron wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:48 pm
BMWSauber84 wrote:
:thumbup: :lol:
Mission WinLater

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Exediron wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:48 pm
Invade wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:54 pm
I didn't know that actually, thanks!

I voted for Verstappen and Leclerc. Both of them seemed to outperform expectations for their cars and delivered big results. No one else really stood out to the same level for me.
BMWSauber84 wrote:
:lol: True, but I have no doubt he'll thrive with a bit of pressure off and at a new environment.