F2 & F3

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Asphalt_World

Re: F2 & F3

Post by Asphalt_World »

I'm not sure Ticktum should have ever been allowed to come back to racing.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I don't think that crash was his fault TBH. He was tipped off the circuit and then his front end was thrown up in the air by the curbs and he couldn't turn.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Ticktum's driven very well with the damage as well.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Despite being the worlds least lucky man Vips has driven two excellent races. I think Alpha Tauri should run both Vips and Tsunoda in 2021. I'm sure given the circumstances the FIA would make an allowance for Vips on licence points.

Invade

Post by Invade »

I also don't think Ticktum was especially at fault here for the same reasons as mikey. Ticktum's effort since has been valiant but he's bleeding positions now. He just couldn't hold on in the end and I assume that he'd have been on the podium without the incident - either him or Zhou.

Prema are extremely strong here. That's the car, right? Schumacher made mincemeat of about 5 cars in a few minutes and then couldn't make any inroads into Shwartzman. Anyway, decisive moves from Schumacher. He's definitely very solid.

Invade

Post by Invade »

I get subtle Vettel vibes from the tenor of Shwartzman's victory celebration - lol.

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

Was gutted when I saw Vips stalled on the grid. Don’t know if it was his fault or the car but solid race pace again and good overtaking.
I remember when this website was all fields.

Invade

Post by Invade »

JN23 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:16 am
I don't watch all F2 races but whenever I do, Zhou seems to be a consistently bad starter.
He has a habit of making life difficult for himself, but then afterwards tends to show a solid set of skills in nearly all facets. Not feeling any x-factor there, however.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

F2 really is the gift that keeps on giving. Fab racing.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:57 am
Despite being the worlds least lucky man Vips has driven two excellent races. I think Alpha Tauri should run both Vips and Tsunoda in 2021. I'm sure given the circumstances the FIA would make an allowance for Vips on licence points.
I don't think it works like that, what Marko decided to do with Vips this year is somewhat baffling, they brought Duravala into the prgram this year and put him straight into F2 from F3, Vips also drove in F3 last year.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:56 pm
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:04 pm
As best I understand it, the rule is that the lead car is entitled to the line through a corner. Every other lap, Mazepin was the leader. But there was a point where Tsunoda had the wing ahead of Mazepin before he ran out of road. I agree that Mazepin stuck to his line as he had every other lap, but this time he didn't have the right to do so. It's a very difficult thing to judge in the moment from the cockpit so I absolutely understand why both drivers felt (and probably will always feel) they were each in the right.
I've never agreed that just because somebody is ahead it means they can just ignore another car alongside them and pretend they don't exist. If two drivers are alongside both are entitled to space and neither should be driven off the circuit. If there was a barrier along the edge of the circuit then nobody would argue it's ok for a car in front to drive a car alongside (even if it's only a little bit alongside) into a wall because they're "taking the racing line".
I totally agree, just citing the rules as best I can. I personally think that once a front wheel is alongside your rear wheel, allowances have to be made.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:08 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
I don't think it works like that, what Marko decided to do with Vips this year is somewhat baffling, they brought Duravala into the prgram this year and put him straight into F2 from F3, Vips also drove in F3 last year.
Daruvala is paying for his own F2 seat. Tsunoda is paid for by Honda. F2 is extremely expensive and Red Bull have always been extremely reluctant to pay for it.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:10 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:56 pm
P-F1 Mod wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:04 pm
As best I understand it, the rule is that the lead car is entitled to the line through a corner. Every other lap, Mazepin was the leader. But there was a point where Tsunoda had the wing ahead of Mazepin before he ran out of road. I agree that Mazepin stuck to his line as he had every other lap, but this time he didn't have the right to do so. It's a very difficult thing to judge in the moment from the cockpit so I absolutely understand why both drivers felt (and probably will always feel) they were each in the right.
I've never agreed that just because somebody is ahead it means they can just ignore another car alongside them and pretend they don't exist. If two drivers are alongside both are entitled to space and neither should be driven off the circuit. If there was a barrier along the edge of the circuit then nobody would argue it's ok for a car in front to drive a car alongside (even if it's only a little bit alongside) into a wall because they're "taking the racing line".
I totally agree, just citing the rules as best I can. I personally think that once a front wheel is alongside your rear wheel, allowances have to be made.
You have to wonder if the rules are so clear cut then why couldn't the stewards make a decision with the Ticktum/Nissany incident?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:16 am
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Daruvala is paying for his own F2 seat. Tsunoda is paid for by Honda. F2 is extremely expensive and Red Bull have always been extremely reluctant to pay for it.
Then they wonder why presently they have a problem with their junior program?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

JN23 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:26 am
If Ticktum knew it was going to happen then maybe he shouldn't have put himself in that position...
Ticktum had the corner won.

This is 100% on Nissany.

j man

Post by j man »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:41 am
Peter Windsor, ( I think it's him) needs to shut up about drivers trying to go around the outside at the end of the Kemmel Straight. They are allowed to have a go as it's not their fault the defending driver takes the defensive inside line. There'd be no racing if risks like that were not taken.
I normally like Peter Windsor but he was spouting utter nonsense here. If he doesn't think drivers should be attempting overtakes at the end of the Kemmel straight then where does he think they should be doing it instead?

Again it re-opens that debate about drivers holding the racing line when someone else is alongside and pushing them off the outside. I still don't understand why so many people in the sport think it's fine; if another driver is alongside I just don't see why you are allowed to follow the racing line and pretend they aren't there. Good to see Mazepin being penalised for it, and hopefully the stewards rule in Ticktum's favour for today's incident as well.

Also Tsunoda's penalty was very harsh. Ilott slowed very suddenly and he couldn't possibly be expected to avoid the collision.

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

Very harsh on Tsunoda I agree. Not sure what you could realistically expect him to do.
I remember when this website was all fields.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:19 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Not using F2/GP2 has worked fine for them for years TBF. Previously you could earn enough licence points or prove you were good enough before you got as far as F2. The problem now is that F3 is not really fit for purpose.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:56 am
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Not using F2/GP2 has worked fine for them for years TBF. Previously you could earn enough licence points or prove you were good enough before you got as far as F2. The problem now is that F3 is not really fit for purpose.
Apologies for the ignorance, why isn’t F3 fit for purpose?

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

j man wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:05 am
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:41 am
Peter Windsor, ( I think it's him) needs to shut up about drivers trying to go around the outside at the end of the Kemmel Straight. They are allowed to have a go as it's not their fault the defending driver takes the defensive inside line. There'd be no racing if risks like that were not taken.
I normally like Peter Windsor but he was spouting utter nonsense here. If he doesn't think drivers should be attempting overtakes at the end of the Kemmel straight then where does he think they should be doing it instead?

Again it re-opens that debate about drivers holding the racing line when someone else is alongside and pushing them off the outside. I still don't understand why so many people in the sport think it's fine; if another driver is alongside I just don't see why you are allowed to follow the racing line and pretend they aren't there. Good to see Mazepin being penalised for it, and hopefully the stewards rule in Ticktum's favour for today's incident as well.

Also Tsunoda's penalty was very harsh. Ilott slowed very suddenly and he couldn't possibly be expected to avoid the collision.
Yes, it frustrates me when a driver takes the inside line to defend, or indeed pass, and they drifts out wide running the other car off. People say it's taking the normal racing line out of the corner, but to me, if you don't take the normal racing line into a corner, you have no god given right to take it on the way out.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

JN23 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:04 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Results are far too dependent on what team you drive for. If you don't drive for Prema you can forget about winning the championship and there's only a couple of other teams that give you the chance to be at the front.

Look at Tsunoda. He did nothing in F3 last year and was well beaten by Daruvala. But look at them this year as team mates in F2. Tsunoda is far better. Drugovich another example of someone who was miles off in F3 but can compete at the front in F2.

Championship leader Sargeant finished last season driving for Carlin having scored just 5 points. What's changed? He's moved to Prema.

So if you want to a driver to et enough licence points in F3 for them to go straight to F1 which is what Red Bull have often done historically then you need to get them in one of the Prema seats.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:03 pm
JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Results are far too dependent on what team you drive for. If you don't drive for Prema you can forget about winning the championship and there's only a couple of other teams that give you the chance to be at the front.

Look at Tsunoda. He did nothing in F3 last year and was well beaten by Daruvala. But look at them this year as team mates in F2. Tsunoda is far better. Drugovich another example of someone who was miles off in F3 but can compete at the front in F2.

Championship leader Sargeant finished last season driving for Carlin having scored just 5 points. What's changed? He's moved to Prema.

So if you want to a driver to et enough licence points in F3 for them to go straight to F1 which is what Red Bull have often done historically then you need to get them in one of the Prema seats.

j man

Post by j man »

mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Interesting. Does anyone know why this is? Sure, some teams are better at car setup etc but is there any reason why F3 should be any more skewed than F2 is when they all drive the same car? We do see some inconsistencies like this in F2, Ilott and Mazepin this season vs last for instance, but it's nowhere near the extent where you have to drive for a particular team to be successful.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I think there are more well funded teams in F2. It's harder for Prema to massively outspend everybody else like they do in F3.

F3 has other problems as well now it's pretty much the only route to F1. It's far too expensive. GP3 was always expensive but if you couldn't afford GP3 you at least had other options and series you could run in to try and prove yourself. Now if you can't afford not just an F3 ride but a top F3 ride your career in single seaters is pretty much done.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
You know that, I know that, why doesn't Marko know that?

If they had pit Vips in the Prema F3 car then he would have got the necessary super license points, did they just not want to pay top dollar?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

The same for Lundgaard, in F3 easily beaten by Prema driver Armstrong, this year they are teammates in F2 and Lundgaard is easily beating him.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

They won't pay top dollar. Also worth noting that I doubt Marko gets given a blank check by Red Bull.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:13 pm
They won't pay top dollar. Also worth noting that I doubt Marko gets given a blank check by Red Bull.
Then back to what I previously said, any wonder that they have a problem with their junior program.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:17 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Then back to what I previously said, any wonder that they have a problem with their junior program.
Are they different to most other junior teams. Members of Ferrari's actually have to pay for the privilege and they have three drivers in the top four of the F2 championship.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:31 pm
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Are they different to most other junior teams. Members of Ferrari's actually have to pay for the privilege and they have three drivers in the top four of the F2 championship.
I don't believe Leclerc paid?

It's true that some pay like Stroll, not so sure about some with obvious talent, Bianchi would be another that I don't think he paid.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:35 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:31 pm
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I don't believe Leclerc paid?

It's true that some pay like Stroll, not so sure about some with obvious talent, Bianchi would be another that I don't think he paid.
Ferrari didn't pay for Leclerc. He was sponsored in F3 and F2. Ferrari may not have charged him to be part of the YDP. All the current drivers pay for the privilege to the best of my knowledge.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-reviewing- ... advantaged

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:56 am
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

That just leaves me confused. :)
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:36 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I think they'll make allowances for drivers like Vips basically.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:29 pm
pokerman wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:36 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I think they'll make allowances for drivers like Vips basically.
I just can't see how they can do that, you can't credit a driver with something they haven't actually acheived.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

They can do what they want. They set the tarifs and can make allowances if they chose to do so.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:09 pm
They can do what they want. They set the tarifs and can make allowances if they chose to do so.
Like I say I don't understand when there has been no races.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:08 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
FIA just say they'll be willing to take a look at people who are close to having enough licence points if a team wants to run one. Basically an appeals process.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:20 am
pokerman wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:08 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
FIA just say they'll be willing to take a look at people who are close to having enough licence points if a team wants to run one. Basically an appeals process.
Fair enough, I have Vips on 20 points, they would gave to give him 2nd in Japanese Super Formula, that would seem a bit of a gift?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

They won't just give him anything. They don't need to. They can just conclude he's probably good enough to be competitive in F1 without being a danger and given the circumstances they'll give him the benefit of the doubt.