2020 70th Anniversary Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Invade

Re: 2020 70th Anniversary Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Invade »

Mercedes have a lot of buffer to work with in qualifying which they can use to improve their race pace. There's no need to be qualifying nearly a second ahead of the competition. The forced equality which Mercedes operates under sometimes costs them in situations like this.

I have to assume there are drivers in history who would have conceded ultimate qualifying pace to bank on race pace fully well taking an educated guess that being severely tyre limited in the race was a real possibility. Such a driver would have spanked Hamilton or Bottas today - blown them out the water! But would Mercedes have allowed it to happen? It's been the case since Hamilton-Rosberg to Hamilton-Bottas that the direction that the drivers take must be tightly aligned, seemingly even more so in the Bottas era than the Rosberg era...?

For the most part the transparency of Mercedes and their general ethic of accountability and teamwork has served them tremendously but at times they do appear to be rigid and frankly the threat of RBR this weekend was probably underestimated. I think this weekend comes down to more than simply being thrown a curveball which they couldn't fully predict nor account for.

This feeling of forced equality comes out in pretty much any press conference you hear Hamilton and Bottas talk at. If I were Hamilton, for example, I'd have (or like to think I'd have) asked to do my last qualifying run on softs as track conditions continue to cool or at least fought for that even if ultimately the decision would have to apply to both drivers. I'd have surely noticed my constant edge over Bottas on the compound and the fact I was uncomfortable on the mediums in the Q2 run - a bad omen. But nope — they are simply in lockstep. It is rather dull at times.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:06 pm
They will be reprimanded at every race throughout the season that they run the rear brake ducts in, however there is no further punishment for multiple reprimands.
This way they are really making a joke out of themselves. Embarassing.

Todt, please step down!

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

I noticed a tweet saying that this was Verstappen's 8th win since the start of the 2017 season. That's the same number of wins as Bottas' in that time. You certainly couldn't accuse Max of not taking his opportunities.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Yeh. Bottas just isn't that guy. But we all knew that.

Verstappen, on the other hand...

Since Monaco 2018 he's been superb and very consistent.

j man

Post by j man »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:46 pm
Covalent wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:36 pm
How nice of Mercedes to give the worse driver the superior strategy.
Well, I will admit that mercedes probably won't have known that it will have been the better one to go for, but it certainly looked that way after it had been done. Given bottas's tyres were in far better condition than Hamilton's when Bottas boxed, there is pretty much no doubt that Bottas could have done the same and possibly even gone longer - which in turn I think will have kept his deserved 2nd place.

Despite me often defending Bottas in the team mate wars, the only time I've gone against the majority with these two was in Italy last year. But this weekend, I think Bottas did do the better job and was just unlucky with the result.
I think Mercedes were stuck in a bit of a corner on pitstop strategy. Bottas was pitted first because he was the lead driver, it's the way they've always done things and if they had pitted Hamilton first and then he'd managed to undercut Bottas on fresh tyres and pass him there would have been serious questions asked.

I think once Verstappen had passed Bottas following his stop, Mercedes realised they had to do something different with Hamilton in an attempt to save the victory for the team. Unfortunately they achieved that middle ground of inadvertently putting Hamilton on the better strategy without it being enough to take the lead back from Verstappen, and it cost Bottas 2nd place without getting the team any more points.

So definitely unfortunate for Bottas as he was the better driver this weekend, but it's what can happen when the team are forced to split strategies. I can understand why Mercedes took the decisions they did today.

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

You have to wonder if this was just Mercedes getting setup wrong at Silverstone or if the car doesn't go well at higher track temperatures.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Clown car tyre pressures dictated by Pirelli to make sure their tyres no longer fail live on TV have a lot more to do with Mercedes troubles. I imagine we shall be seeing some pretty interesting mandated tyre pressures going forward in the name of safety that just happens to move the ballpark from Mercedes to Red Bull. It's also clear that they suffer a bit more in the hotter temperatures, and I think there may well be something in the idea that maybe they should just take a bit of downforce off to save the tyres and not have the crushing dominance in Quali.... but with that said, leading from the front and dictating the race is always going to be the preferred option.

Take nothing away from Max though, great job making his hards last in the first stint and re-passing Bottas as quickly as he did made his life a whole lot easier at the end of the race.

Not convinced of the talk of Mercedes screwing Bottas though, Lewis' ultimate strategy came about from the aborted attempt at the one stop and had they really only have been aiming at a Lewis win, surely they would have told Bottas to wave him through.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Invade

Post by Invade »

Option or Prime wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:28 pm
You have to wonder if this was just Mercedes getting setup wrong at Silverstone or if the car doesn't go well at higher track temperatures.
Given that the problems were occurring on a different spread of the car, different tyres, I'm guessing they overcompensated on various things in order to address issues from the previous weekend. A perfect storm of sorts was created perhaps with neurotic overcompensation, higher tyre pressures, softer tyre compounds, very hot conditions, and having a car with ridiculous downforce which works the tyres extremely hard and still running quite a lot of wing. But regardless, any changes they made were still within the ethos of maintaining ultimate speed, as seen from the qualifying results. Maybe they tried to have their cake (compensate for issues at the British GP) and eat it too (but do so without compromising ultimate pace).

Obviously, I'm just speculating.

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Invade wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:51 pm
Option or Prime wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:28 pm
Given that the problems were occurring on a different spread of the car, different tyres, I'm guessing they overcompensated on various things in order to address issues from the previous weekend. A perfect storm of sorts was created perhaps with neurotic overcompensation, higher tyre pressures, softer tyre compounds, very hot conditions, and having a car with ridiculous downforce which works the tyres extremely hard and still running quite a lot of wing. But regardless, any changes they made were still within the ethos of maintaining ultimate speed, as seen from the qualifying results. Maybe they tried to have their cake (compensate for issues at the British GP) and eat it too (but do so without compromising ultimate pace).

Obviously, I'm just speculating.
Whatever the reason they are probably the one team that will have a technical solution, its just odd that they screw up the strategy so often.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Invade wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:59 pm
Mercedes have a lot of buffer to work with in qualifying which they can use to improve their race pace. There's no need to be qualifying nearly a second ahead of the competition. The forced equality which Mercedes operates under sometimes costs them in situations like this.

I have to assume there are drivers in history who would have conceded ultimate qualifying pace to bank on race pace fully well taking an educated guess that being severely tyre limited in the race was a real possibility. Such a driver would have spanked Hamilton or Bottas today - blown them out the water! But would Mercedes have allowed it to happen? It's been the case since Hamilton-Rosberg to Hamilton-Bottas that the direction that the drivers take must be tightly aligned, seemingly even more so in the Bottas era than the Rosberg era...?

For the most part the transparency of Mercedes and their general ethic of accountability and teamwork has served them tremendously but at times they do appear to be rigid and frankly the threat of RBR this weekend was probably underestimated. I think this weekend comes down to more than simply being thrown a curveball which they couldn't fully predict nor account for.

This feeling of forced equality comes out in pretty much any press conference you hear Hamilton and Bottas talk at. If I were Hamilton, for example, I'd have (or like to think I'd have) asked to do my last qualifying run on softs as track conditions continue to cool or at least fought for that even if ultimately the decision would have to apply to both drivers. I'd have surely noticed my constant edge over Bottas on the compound and the fact I was uncomfortable on the mediums in the Q2 run - a bad omen. But nope — they are simply in lockstep. It is rather dull at times.
When both cars went out on mediums for the final Q3 run I did feel it was advantage Bottas and the softs would have given Hamilton the advantage. There's only one threat to the Mercedes and that's Max so Mercedes could easily have started one car on the hards but I understand there is no chance of that happening. I just feel Mercedes equality just makes the team too rigid but they have had it easy for a long time now. I wonder what Mercedes would be like fighting Redbull every weekend for the championship.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

Vettel just keep on embarrassing himself. It's his 14th spin in 4 years if my counting is correct. And fourth without contact.

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

ReservoirDog wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:30 pm
Vettel just keep on embarrassing himself. It's his 14th spin in 4 years if my counting is correct. And fourth without contact.

vettel has made plenty of mistakes the last couple of years for sure. i do believe today he saw the car coming from the left and took the curb, spinning, but no collision. clearly the relationship is beyond repair between the team and himself

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Covalent wrote:
Bottas was given what was thought to be the optimal strategy at the time. It was only the fact that Max stopped at the same time to cover him that meant they decided to roll the dice and keep Hamilton out as it was a certainty that Bottas would not be able to challenge for the win unless Max had an issue.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:48 am
Covalent wrote:
Bottas was given what was thought to be the optimal strategy at the time. It was only the fact that Max stopped at the same time to cover him that meant they decided to roll the dice and keep Hamilton out as it was a certainty that Bottas would not be able to challenge for the win unless Max had an issue.
They should have told Bottas to opposite Verstappen on that lap, as they entered the pits on the same lap there was little hope of a race win anymore.
I don't think think there was any plot from Mercedes to switch the drivers though, I was just a little frustrated about Hamilton outscoring Bottas by 29 points in these two races when Bottas was just as good if not arguably the better driver.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

According to this (https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-merc ... defeat-it/), Bottas had a vibration which led to the timing of his second pit stop.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Covalent wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:59 am
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
They should have told Bottas to opposite Verstappen on that lap, as they entered the pits on the same lap there was little hope of a race win anymore.
I don't think think there was any plot from Mercedes to switch the drivers though, I was just a little frustrated about Hamilton outscoring Bottas by 29 points in these two races when Bottas was just as good if not arguably the better driver.
Mercedes called Bottas in because he had a severe vibration with his tyres that he had been complaining about, Red Bull responded to Merc coming out into the pitlane. Pitting opposite Max was not an option because he had to pit right then, or at a push, within a couple of laps where he would have been going significantly slower than Max. Bottas did not have the option to go as long as Hamilton, and running any longer on his tyres would have probably left him in fourth place behind Leclerc.

Hamilton better looked after his tyres yesterday despite not having the luxury of being in clean air for the first stint and most of the second stint. Bottas edged Hamilton in qualifying. I think that over the weekend their performances were broadly similar and certainly not different enough to paint one driver as being the 'worse' one. Yes, technically if someone is 99.9% of the performance of the other then that 'technically' makes them the worse driver from a semantic point of view, but in the context of the criticism it was used in that would be less than trivial distinction to make.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:40 am
Covalent wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Mercedes called Bottas in because he had a severe vibration with his tyres that he had been complaining about, Red Bull responded to Merc coming out into the pitlane. Pitting opposite Max was not an option because he had to pit right then, or at a push, within a couple of laps where he would have been going significantly slower than Max. Bottas did not have the option to go as long as Hamilton, and running any longer on his tyres would have probably left him in fourth place behind Leclerc.

Hamilton better looked after his tyres yesterday despite not having the luxury of being in clean air for the first stint and most of the second stint. Bottas edged Hamilton in qualifying. I think that over the weekend their performances were broadly similar and certainly not different enough to paint one driver as being the 'worse' one. Yes, technically if someone is 99.9% of the performance of the other then that 'technically' makes them the worse driver from a semantic point of view, but in the context of the criticism it was used in that would be less than trivial distinction to make.
I wasn't aware of the vibration issues, both visually and laptime-wise Bottas' tyres seemed to be better than Hamilton's at that point.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Covalent wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:11 am
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:40 am
Covalent wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

I wasn't aware of the vibration issues, both visually and laptime-wise Bottas' tyres seemed to be better than Hamilton's at that point.
Yea despite reading through the article, there was no complaints from Bottas on the radio that were broadcast and we actually heard Hamilton complaining literally after Bottas pitted implying he also wanted to. The team did the right thing with hamilton to do what they did, but when re watching the highlights, visually, Bottas's tyres were far better than hamilton's. Then when he did pit, they confirmed that they had pace left in them. So after finding that out, I'm pretty certain that Bottas could have managed enough extra laps on them to cover hamilton at the end. But obviously mercedes won't have known at the time. From what I've read, I think their decision was correct now. But Bottas did look to do enough to beat Hamilton had they both had the better timed put stop.

I also can't see how anyone can say hamilton looked after his tyres better overall given we didn't get to see what Bottas could have done had he gone long in the first 2 stints. Hamilton's tyres looked far worse in both the first two stints - and understandably will have been in far better shape being 10 laps newer at the end. I think they both did a similar job at managing their tyres when you consider Hamilton was behind, but I can't see what suggests Hamilton did better really. One of the most suspicious things was that Bottas said he wasn't even told that Hamilton had gone long and was told to manage his tyres. Managing tyres made sense, but I don't get why the team didn't tell him what hamilton was doing.
Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Hamiltons tyres blistered worse in the first stint because for the first 5 or more laps he went for it and was within DRS for a couple of laps, that blistered his tyres which Hamilton or Mercedes knew would happen quite so bad. Bottas did get gain alot of time at both pitstops by pitting first and on the second stint Hamilton was holding a gap as to not blister the tyres as quick again.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Covalent wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
I don't know how you work that out when Hamilton beat him both times, Hamilton's strategy shouldn't have allowed him to beat Bottas if Bottas was better, Bottas got gapped by 19 seconds by Verstappen in the final stint and Verstappen was cruising for the most part, in that final stint Bottas had no pace.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

JN23 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:21 am
According to this (https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-merc ... defeat-it/), Bottas had a vibration which led to the timing of his second pit stop.
So Hamilton basically drove better on the harder tyres which enabled him to beat Bottas, however I'm confused by Bottas' comment that Mercedes were asleep.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

JN23 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:43 am
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d7nhSiYgXTI

TheGiantHogweed

Just looking at the pit stop summery - Kimi did a 1 stop. And he finished best of the bottom 3 teams 4 seconds ahead of grosjean. I didn't realise this and think it deserves quite a bit of credit. I think it was just him and Leclerc that pulled this off.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 pm
Just looking at the pit stop summery - Kimi did a 1 stop. And he finished best of the bottom 3 teams 4 seconds ahead of grosjean. I didn't realise this and think it deserves quite a bit of credit. I think it was just him and Leclerc that pulled this off.
Ocon too.

TheGiantHogweed

JN23 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:27 pm
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 pm
Ocon too.
Yea i didn't know if there may have been another. I thought Ocon also proved himself quite well this weekend and don't really blame him for his penalty. Kimi is starting to look rather weak in qualifying. Maybe one of the weakest on the grid now Giovinazzi is starting to beat him. But he shows his experience in the race and his result isn't good (for them), it has been down to the team at times. The strategy last weekend was awful.

TheGiantHogweed

Just thought I would ask - what do people think of these displays of spectetors supporting certain drivers constantly showing. They just make me cringe.

I don't think any driver can take that support seriously and some if not all may actually find it rather annoying or distracting. It isn't live. It is one person on a screen that is oversized as they are not that big in reality when they are in the stands. And most of the clips are just people doing incredibly stupid movements because they have the chance to be on TV. They would surely never do this as a spectator?.... I can't see how it means a thing at times. Even when it is people you know like Rosberg, it just didn't feel right. I think this may have been the race before when Rosberg was there, but he was cheering when Hamilton was leading. It isn't live, I know - but do you take that seriously? They are not the best of mates any more. We know that the fans are not seeing it through their eyes at that moment in time so to me it is entirely pointless.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Pretty pointless but also harmless and I guess it's kind of fun if you're one of the people who know they are going to be shown.

Invade

Post by Invade »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:10 pm
Just thought I would ask - what do people think of these displays of spectetors supporting certain drivers constantly showing. They just make me cringe.

I don't think any driver can take that support seriously and some if not all may actually find it rather annoying or distracting. It isn't live. It is one person on a screen that is oversized as they are not that big in reality when they are in the stands. And most of the clips are just people doing incredibly stupid movements because they have the chance to be on TV. They would surely never do this as a spectator?.... I can't see how it means a thing at times. Even when it is people you know like Rosberg, it just didn't feel right. I think this may have been the race before when Rosberg was there, but he was cheering when Hamilton was leading. It isn't live, I know - but do you take that seriously? They are not the best of mates any more. We know that the fans are not seeing it through their eyes at that moment in time so to me it is entirely pointless.

I think it's something we could pointlessly debate about. It's a trivial non-issue.

TheGiantHogweed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8wPGQhw4Pg

From what the commentators said both on Sky and channel 4, it seemed like when Vettel moaned at the team for pitting him, they thought that is was just him complaining. But from this video, it is evidence that Ferrari did an absolutely ridiculous strategy with Vettel. I don't think Vettel's pace was even bad this race. He made that one mistake then he actually looked pretty decent to me.

Vettel said he could have gone longer - and it made sense to as he had clear air or very soon would have. I don't see how he wouldn't have just allowed Leclerc through. He pits despite questioning it and clearly not wanting to and the team give him hard despite knowing Leclerc already wants to try a 1 stop. Then doing barely 10 laps on the hards - then 20 on the mediums?? Vettel was right to be stroppy with the team but he kept his head together. Vettel's mistake likely didn't cost him all that much. It wasn't a spin and it barely effected his tyres at all. He looked more comfortable in the race than last weekend and I think he likely could have managed to beat Ocon at least. Ferrari really don't seem to care for him at all at times. Both these last 2 weekends have been very against Vettel with bad luck or strategy. They may have done a poor strategy with Leclerc in Hungary, but when they went to the tyre he wanted, he hardly could do any better so I'm not sure the team really made a mistake there - he just didn't like the tyres.
Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Interesting, thanks for the video

TheGiantHogweed

To me it just seems Ferrari are the opposite to last season, but messing up with Vettel more so than Leclerc last year.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:46 am
To me it just seems Ferrari are the opposite to last season, but messing up with Vettel more so than Leclerc last year.
Very true, so Vettel is getting a taste of his own medicine really

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

In the modern era Ferrari have only ever been able to concentrate on one strategy at a time. In the Alonso/Massa years I often felt Massa would just get left out on track until they decided what to do with Alonso. Kimi often had the same treatment.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:19 pm
In the modern era Ferrari have only ever been able to concentrate on one strategy at a time. In the Alonso/Massa years I often felt Massa would just get left out on track until they decided what to do with Alonso. Kimi often had the same treatment.
They always concentrated on a lead driver at a time, we can't accuse them of not being consistent of that!!!!

I can only think the Kimi-Felipe years that they were somewhat even

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Siao7 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:29 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:19 pm
They always concentrated on a lead driver at a time, we can't accuse them of not being consistent of that!!!!

I can only think the Kimi-Felipe years that they were somewhat even
That was back in the refuelling era though where strategy was usually nailed on before the start of the race. They didn't have to think on their feet as they do now.