FEEDBACK THREAD

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
dizlexik

Re: FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by dizlexik »

P-F1 Mod wrote:Just emailed the techies. I was looking at the error message for 2 hours last night while trying to activate an account. I eventually got through to the admin panel but I've never known it take so long to click half a dozen links and type a name!

For anyone who knows the various connection error codes, the most common one was 110 (I noticed that was simply the connection timing out) but there was also 104, which I didn't catch the meaning of in time.

104 error =connection failed
eeee

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:This to me looks more like someone is doing a DDOS attack on the forum. Has anyone been banned recently with a gripe?

That's actually a good possibility, if the server was shut down I don't think we'd seen the timeout errors which indicates the server was available but too busy to answer.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Covalent wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:This to me looks more like someone is doing a DDOS attack on the forum. Has anyone been banned recently with a gripe?

That's actually a good possibility, if the server was shut down I don't think we'd seen the timeout errors which indicates the server was available but too busy to answer.

That could be the other way around too. Recent trend is to use servers to carry on DDOS attacks as they have more bandwidth available than normal computers.
eeee

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

dizlexik wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:Just emailed the techies. I was looking at the error message for 2 hours last night while trying to activate an account. I eventually got through to the admin panel but I've never known it take so long to click half a dozen links and type a name!

For anyone who knows the various connection error codes, the most common one was 110 (I noticed that was simply the connection timing out) but there was also 104, which I didn't catch the meaning of in time.

104 error =connection failed

Ah, thanks.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Covalent wrote:

The reason I think it is DDOS is that twice during the outage I was able to view one page of the forum (and it wasn't a cached page). This would indicate the server was getting so much traffic it could only answer a small number of the requests, and the times I got a page were the times I was lucky to get a response.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

The reason I think it is DDOS is that twice during the outage I was able to view one page of the forum (and it wasn't a cached page). This would indicate the server was getting so much traffic it could only answer a small number of the requests, and the times I got a page were the times I was lucky to get a response.

Yeah me too. And even now the forum is intermittently unresponsive which might mean that it's still under attack on a smaller scale.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

I'll wait for our mod/techie person to get home from work and get him to look over this thread properly but the attack does sound the most likely option.

I seem to recall this happened a few months ago too

Guia

Post by Guia »

This happened just a week ago - a week to the day, in fact.

The pattern so far:

- Sunday 30th March: Hamilton wins in Malaysia
- Monday 31st March: Forum down at around 22:30 GMT

- Sunday 6th April: Hamilton wins in Bahrain
- Monday 7th April: Forum down at around 22:30 GMT

I smell a rat - and I don't mean Niki Lauda!

Covalent wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Yeah me too. And even now the forum is intermittently unresponsive which might mean that it's still under attack on a smaller scale.

If you're right, what chance the source of the attack can be identified and the culprit brought to book? And what can be done to safeguard the forum before Hamilton wins another race?

If it is a DDOS then you can bet it's a disgruntled former forumer. Who else would target a motorsport message board? I suppose it could be some Russian whiz kid honing their skills before mounting an assault on somebody's national security agency, but this just reeks of embittered fanboy!

[Post #2023] • Daniil Kvyat (McLaren) • McLaren (Kvyat, Frijns)

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

P-F1 Mod wrote:I'll wait for our mod/techie person to get home from work and get him to look over this thread properly but the attack does sound the most likely option.

I seem to recall this happened a few months ago too

Did you ever find out what happened the last time?

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Not that I remember. It just got fixed.

Alienturnedhuman

Most DDOS attacks are untraceable using legacy protocols built into how the Internet was set up.

They usually employ avalanche style attacks, where you rmake a request of a server to send you a few gigabytes of data but give it a different IP (the IP address that you want to target) to your own. Because these servers are usually attached to the backbone of the Internet, or with a very high speed connection to it, it means that they can inundate a lesser server with far greater traffic.

These avalanche style attacks are the biggest threat to the Internet at the moment - if a hacker wanted to, it would be possible to trigger a multitude of servers to simultaneously send data all across the Internet. The data being sent would be greater than the total bandwidth of the Internet and it would literally bring down the entire Internet.

Let's just hope that whoever has it in for the PF1 forum doesn't one day get fed up with the entire Internet, especially if it is he who should not be named, as I do believe he'd actually do it.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

I'd be sorely, sorely disappointed in anyone being pathetic enough to DDoS what is effectively a fairly (in the grand scheme of things) minor motorsport forum. Its not exactly a productive use of either a) a botnet or b) the money you need to pull it off to cause any real disruption. Most web hosts provide some sort of minor DDoS 'protection' (I use that term loosely, they just let the traffic build up to a certain point and then nullroute everything to save the server, effectively having the attack win) but for the proper protection on an industrial scale you have to pay the big money.

You can track them to a point too, but if its coming from a botnet of 100,000's of PCs then individually adding every IP to the blacklist is not something i'd be volunteering to do (and thats after sorting out the real requests from the malicious ones).

It just seems a bit unlikely, though to be fair - no fury like a lover scorned and all that.

Do you share the server space with any other sites in the group? Big football day + Big F1 day could equal traffic problems. Autosport up until this year was notorious for going down after every single race because the servers just couldnt handle the traffic.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Alienturnedhuman

Flash2k11 wrote:I'd be sorely, sorely disappointed in anyone being pathetic enough to DDoS what is effectively a fairly (in the grand scheme of things) minor motorsport forum. Its not exactly a productive use of either a) a botnet or b) the money you need to pull it off to cause any real disruption. Most web hosts provide some sort of minor DDoS 'protection' (I use that term loosely, they just let the traffic build up to a certain point and then nullroute everything to save the server, effectively having the attack win) but for the proper protection on an industrial scale you have to pay the big money.

You can track them to a point too, but if its coming from a botnet of 100,000's of PCs then individually adding every IP to the blacklist is not something i'd be volunteering to do (and thats after sorting out the real requests from the malicious ones).

It just seems a bit unlikely, though to be fair - no fury like a lover scorned and all that.

Do you share the server space with any other sites in the group? Big football day + Big F1 day could equal traffic problems. Autosport up until this year was notorious for going down after every single race because the servers just couldnt handle the traffic.

Avalanche attacks don't require botnets, or any money. They also can't be blacklisted because they end up saturating the routers and firewalls before it even gets to the server.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Its an awful lot of effort for precious little payoff.... people that do these kind of things have much juicier targets to go after.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

coulthards chin

Post by coulthards chin »

Just an issue to be aware of - I can live with it

The past few days I've been getting logged out quite often when I navigate to the Board Index. My account is set to log in automatically.

Using Google Chrome, happens both on my personal laptop and my VMWare Zero Client at work
Pick 10 Competition:
2013 - 10th
2014 - 9th
2015 - 6th
2019 - 10th

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Yeah I just had the same. I think it's a cyclical thing, does it every couple of weeks or so with me. No idea why.

RickM

Post by RickM »

Just did it to me for the first time in months. That should only ever happen if someone's cleared out the session cache on the server. My guess is the ninja server techie cleared the tmp directory wiping out the login sessions. No biggie, just a pain in the pickle.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

The survey thing is back again, cept now its the 'IFA of South Africa' rather than DMMN or whatever it was before.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Howling Shadow

Post by Howling Shadow »

I've just had the survey thing pop up too. Seems to just do it every so often...I guess cos the servers for this are in South Africa is why it pops up...

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

Hi, I'm having a problem viewing my own posts, that particular part of my profile hasn't been updating for a few days. If there's a way for you or I to fix that, it would be great, thanks.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

That's an odd one, I'll get onto the techies about that. Might be worth clearing cookies though, see if that works.

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

P-F1 Mod wrote:That's an odd one, I'll get onto the techies about that. Might be worth clearing cookies though, see if that works.

I tried the cookies trick but no joy.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

I'll wait for the techies' response then. Sorry about this.

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

No worries, take your time and thanks again.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Just run a quick experiment. It's not just you, I can't see beyond the end of February for anyone's posts. Once the techies have got the emails working (again) I'll see what's happened here.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Please say it's not allowed to change other's quotes like this:

you wrote:I'm the best

------------------------------------
you wrote:I'm the worst

Fixed that for you

x(

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

It's not. I'm about to check the reports but where is this from?

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

P-F1 Mod wrote:It's not. I'm about to check the reports but where is this from?

I haven't reported any individual occurrence as I didn't know if it was prohibited, but it's fairly common...

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Its a fairly tongue in cheek thing to do, no? Unless its deliberately malicious, I don't think its the most pressing complaint about some of things people post here lol
2018 Pick 10 Champion

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Depends on the context. If changed to attack someone or their views, then not acceptable. If used to convey a similar but exaggerated view, or as a joke (attacks notwithstanding) then it's fair. A slightly blurred line but that's the general guideline.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Flash2k11 wrote:Its a fairly tongue in cheek thing to do, no? Unless its deliberately malicious, I don't think its the most pressing complaint about some of things people post here lol

Yeah I don't mind the tongue in cheek ones!

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

P-F1 Mod wrote:Just run a quick experiment. It's not just you, I can't see beyond the end of February for anyone's posts. Once the techies have got the emails working (again) I'll see what's happened here.

Thanks!

Michelle - The Ed

Post by Michelle - The Ed »

Unfortunately as P-F1 Mod pointed out we are YET AGAIN having an issue with the emails for the forum.
I'm sure you can all imagine how frustrating this is for all of us especially as the fix is out of our hands. We rely on the techies to find a solution and as yet they have not managed to do so.
They will keep trying, I'll keep nagging and hopefully one again we can be rid of this problem for good.
I apologise to all those this affects.
Cheers
Michelle

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Thank you Michelle, much appreciated.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Emails should be working again now. Apparently the email address the forum uses was blacklisted by widely used lists.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Chrome gave me a warning on page 14 of joke thread.

Code: Select all

http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=96&start=520
eeee

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

dizlexik wrote:Chrome gave me a warning on page 14 of joke thread.

No problems detected here, what did it warn you of?

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

P-F1 Mod wrote:
dizlexik wrote:Chrome gave me a warning on page 14 of joke thread.

No problems detected here, what did it warn you of?

That there is some malicious content.

I think there was just some link to picture hosted on some bad website ("memegenrator" or something like that). I can't check as I don't use Chrome at home.
eeee

Blake

Post by Blake »

I had this happen a few months ago, mentioned it here and then the problem just disappeared and I had the usual dark background. Then I noticed last night that it reappeared on my home computer, and while irritating, I figured it was possibly a problem with that computer which has been "begging" me to throw it off a steep cliff the past couple of months.

However, then this morning here at my office, I found it here too. It is rather irritation... what is happening?

Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

I quite like it. I could fit the pages better, but I wouldn't say it's a problem. If it's accidental, at least it's F1.
IV