2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
pokerman
Posts: 35327
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by pokerman »

tootsie323 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:48 pm
A nod towards Valtteri Bottas. Kept Hamilton honest pretty much through the duration of the race and only started to drop off towards the end, as that tyre started to give up. To have it go at turn 1 of all places is just the worst.
He certainly seemed to go for it, win or bust.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

pokerman
Posts: 35327
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by pokerman »

Invade wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:54 pm
A scrappy weekend from Hamilton was saved by a steller Q3. His pace this weekend other than in that one session probably wasn't up to his usual standard.

Mercedes have built a car of truly tremendous dominance! Yet they have only one 1-2 finish to show for it thus far.

As for Bottas and Sainz, they were very unfortunate.

Stellar effort from Ricciardo and also Leclerc this weekend; insulting racecraft from Grosjean; and woeful underperformance from Racing Point.


I'm pretty excited for the 70th Anniversary GP given we might be in for hotter temperatures to go with the softer compounds. Maybe a 3-stopper will be a viable strategy?
Hamilton said he changed his set up going from FP3 into qualifying and made it worse, he dug the pole lap up from somewhere but the poor set up might have shown up more in the race.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

User avatar
tootsie323
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by tootsie323 »

pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 am
tootsie323 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:48 pm
A nod towards Valtteri Bottas. Kept Hamilton honest pretty much through the duration of the race and only started to drop off towards the end, as that tyre started to give up. To have it go at turn 1 of all places is just the worst.
He certainly seemed to go for it, win or bust.
Just a couple of items against him.
I think that he could / should have stuck it out off the start through the first couple of turns. Given that his pace was largely on a par with Hamilton, had he snatched the lead there he may well have held on.
He had a reasonable chance on Vettel for that final point at the end. Again, I think that he may have been able to stick it out from Stowe to the final section.
He has shown that he can keep Hamilton honest. Just needs that killer instinct more often!
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

pokerman
Posts: 35327
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by pokerman »

Invade wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:13 pm
Hamilton was more unlucky than lucky regarding his own race. He's lucky that his main WDC rival got shredded.

Maybe one might argue that given the problem occurred on both cars that a puncture/deflation would be the expected result, in which case maybe Hamilton was lucky. But Mercedes had the opportunity to pit him and I was staggered that they didn't.

It would be good to have a confirmation on the cause of the respective tyre failures. I've heard it floated around that Hamilton's was down to debris.
The race before he was pitted late for fastest lap, you have to wonder why he wasn't pitted given the tyre issue.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

pokerman
Posts: 35327
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by pokerman »

Fiki wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:31 pm
pokerman wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:04 pm
Fiki wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:46 pm
Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:43 pm
Silly silly Red Bull. I guess that wraps the championship as well.
I never understood the rule that says only cars in the points could get a point for fastest lap. And now I hope even F1 will understand the stupidity of some of its spicing up nonsense.
Cars pitting out of the points trying for fastest lap and then racing against the leaders would be a joke.
Do explain! Fastest lap comes towards the end of the race anyway, and whether a car is a leader or out of the points, it would be brought in with a clear window ahead on leaving. And if such a car should try to unlap itself, as with Ocon/Verstappen, then that would be a very welcome blast from the past indeed. There's no rule that says a "leading" driver has to be an idiot.
It would make a mockery of the race especially if some of the leading cars were fighting for position late in the race, you would give preference over what is little more than a gimmick for the integrity of the race?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

pokerman
Posts: 35327
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by pokerman »

Fiki wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:19 pm
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:21 pm
I've seen a few on social media suggest that Hamilton should get a penalty for driving a damaged car all the way around the track without going into the pits on the last lap.

I would suggest that is a load of utter nonsense.
I had to look up which penalty Rosberg got at Zeltweg 2016 for continuing with a damaged car; it was a reprimand. I still don't understand why he got that, but consistency would suggest Hamilton to be up for one too.
Rosberg was spreading debris on the track that's why he got reprimanded, you've looked to get Hamilton penalised both in qualifying and the race and then you would want your posts to look unbiased?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

User avatar
Covalent
Posts: 10155
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Covalent »

Badgeronimous wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:34 am
Covalent wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 am
Yes unfortunately this will probably be what ultimately sealed the championship in Hamilton's favour. With a car this dominant you can't afford a 0p race as you know your teammate will win.
Bottas only chance of a championship win is to drive well and get better luck than Hamilton.

He is a quick and tidy driver, but he just lacks a cutting edge when it matters. A perfect "wingman" really.

This looks like being Hamiltons easiest championship, and a credit to Mercedes - they are just a winning machine. You don't need to think too hard to remember the races since 2014 where they haven't had at least 1 driver on the podium. Even in this era, that's an awesome a achievement.
Hamilton has had 9 0p races out of 144 since joining Mercedes, and is currently on a 37-race long points scoring streak. The second longest active point streak is 3 races. The odds are heavily against Bottas...

mikeyg123
Posts: 17817
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

Covalent wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:15 pm
Badgeronimous wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:34 am
Covalent wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 am
Yes unfortunately this will probably be what ultimately sealed the championship in Hamilton's favour. With a car this dominant you can't afford a 0p race as you know your teammate will win.
Bottas only chance of a championship win is to drive well and get better luck than Hamilton.

He is a quick and tidy driver, but he just lacks a cutting edge when it matters. A perfect "wingman" really.

This looks like being Hamiltons easiest championship, and a credit to Mercedes - they are just a winning machine. You don't need to think too hard to remember the races since 2014 where they haven't had at least 1 driver on the podium. Even in this era, that's an awesome a achievement.
Hamilton has had 9 0p races out of 144 since joining Mercedes, and is currently on a 37-race long points scoring streak. The second longest active point streak is 3 races. The odds are heavily against Bottas...
Bottas doesn't help himself either. He can't afford to leave possible points on the table but he does things like settle for 11th rather than going for a risky 10th. You are never going to beat Hamilton with that attitude.

F1Oz
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:49 am

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by F1Oz »

not sure why bottas didn't pit for softs 10 laps earlier - might have lost position to Verstappen but would surely have overtaken - madness

mikeyg123
Posts: 17817
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

F1Oz wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:20 pm
not sure why bottas didn't pit for softs 10 laps earlier - might have lost position to Verstappen but would surely have overtaken - madness
Bottas would have actually had a decent chance of a win with a two stopper but Merc would never have allowed it.

pokerman
Posts: 35327
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by pokerman »

Option or Prime wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:18 pm
JN23 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:22 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:40 pm
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:28 pm
I seriously doubt debris would cause the trye to come apart so neatly like that somehow. Given 3 drivers go a very similar sort of puncture as well as all struggling on this strategy, I don't see why Hamilton's won't ahve been for the same reason as Bottas's sand Sainz.
People think they were all punctures caused by debris from Kimi's exploding wing.
Speaking of Kimi’s wing, anyone know what happened?
According to the BBC he got a puncture!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53631557
So there was 4 left front punctures.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

pokerman
Posts: 35327
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by pokerman »

tootsie323 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:43 am
pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 am
tootsie323 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:48 pm
A nod towards Valtteri Bottas. Kept Hamilton honest pretty much through the duration of the race and only started to drop off towards the end, as that tyre started to give up. To have it go at turn 1 of all places is just the worst.
He certainly seemed to go for it, win or bust.
Just a couple of items against him.
I think that he could / should have stuck it out off the start through the first couple of turns. Given that his pace was largely on a par with Hamilton, had he snatched the lead there he may well have held on.
He had a reasonable chance on Vettel for that final point at the end. Again, I think that he may have been able to stick it out from Stowe to the final section.
He has shown that he can keep Hamilton honest. Just needs that killer instinct more often!
Maybe with a contract in his pocket he may have stuck it out?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

F1_Ernie
Posts: 3730
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by F1_Ernie »

tootsie323 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:43 am
pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 am
tootsie323 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:48 pm
A nod towards Valtteri Bottas. Kept Hamilton honest pretty much through the duration of the race and only started to drop off towards the end, as that tyre started to give up. To have it go at turn 1 of all places is just the worst.
He certainly seemed to go for it, win or bust.
Just a couple of items against him.
I think that he could / should have stuck it out off the start through the first couple of turns. Given that his pace was largely on a par with Hamilton, had he snatched the lead there he may well have held on.
He had a reasonable chance on Vettel for that final point at the end. Again, I think that he may have been able to stick it out from Stowe to the final section.
He has shown that he can keep Hamilton honest. Just needs that killer instinct more often!
One out of four races isn't really great though especially if that form is carried on for the rest of the season. I'm not sure Bottas even got DRS did he while Hamilton will be in Bottas's DRS lap after lap. Bottas is good on Saturdays but quiet abit behind Hamilton on Sundays.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

cmberry20
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by cmberry20 »

Vettel absolutely dejected after the race. Couldn't be bothered to talk to anyone on the last lap or the cool down lap. It got so bad that the mechanics had to ask for a radio check to make sure it was working.
https://youtu.be/0hfc713fl9o

I was hoping Vettel was going to go out with guns blazing. A one last defiance of 'screw you, look what I can do'. But alas, it's more of a broken whimper.

Schumacher forever#1
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:33 am
Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:45 pm
pokerman wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:26 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:24 pm


They wouldn't if they made 5 stops.
Which would be a farce, but then again if you love watching pitstops.
Why should one stop races be considered the fastest? In my opinion, a two stop strategy should be quicker than a one stop strategy, to encourage teams to perform an aggressive strategy that will hopefully make up for the loss of track position. Either that or allow teams to run only one tyre. Because, right now, one stoppers are always the quickest and it means everyone runs the same tyre strategy.

And, anyways. We need something to spice things up. This season is as good as done, so we might as well have some chaos.
I'm talking about having to race on tyres that will only last 10 laps but like you say you're happy for the races to be chaotic, best chance of stopping Mercedes from winning I guess?
In that regard, yes, if harder tyres only last ten laps then I would think that would be too much.

I believe Pirelli are only bringing tyres that are one degree softer. Therefore, the hardest tyres this weekend would be last weekends medium tyres, which would have lasted maybe 20 laps it seems.

In some degree, yes, I do wish for more chaotic racing to stop Mercedes winning. I'd also like more activity throughout the field if it means position one and two are confirmed by the second lap.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

mikeyg123
Posts: 17817
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

I don't think a chaotic high deg case on rare occasions would be a bad thing. Variety is the spice of life. I don't agree that soft tyres somehow create a farce.

TheGiantHogweed
Posts: 2810
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:19 pm
Covalent wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:15 pm
Badgeronimous wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:34 am
Covalent wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 am
Yes unfortunately this will probably be what ultimately sealed the championship in Hamilton's favour. With a car this dominant you can't afford a 0p race as you know your teammate will win.
Bottas only chance of a championship win is to drive well and get better luck than Hamilton.

He is a quick and tidy driver, but he just lacks a cutting edge when it matters. A perfect "wingman" really.

This looks like being Hamiltons easiest championship, and a credit to Mercedes - they are just a winning machine. You don't need to think too hard to remember the races since 2014 where they haven't had at least 1 driver on the podium. Even in this era, that's an awesome a achievement.
Hamilton has had 9 0p races out of 144 since joining Mercedes, and is currently on a 37-race long points scoring streak. The second longest active point streak is 3 races. The odds are heavily against Bottas...
Bottas doesn't help himself either. He can't afford to leave possible points on the table but he does things like settle for 11th rather than going for a risky 10th. You are never going to beat Hamilton with that attitude.
To be fair, Hamilton's race in Germany was slightly similar to Bottas here, but only regarding the position they finished in. Hamilton had around 1.5 seconds on lap 63 to catch magnussen and pass him. So he had just under 2 laps and he failed. Also Hamilton's long scoring points stat is only there because of the two 30 second penalties for alfa romeo. Stricktly speaking, he finished 11th. Luck is always on Hamiltons side when he messes up it seems. We can also say that he only got these points because of the team, as Hamilton litrally said "ritire the car". So it isn't only Bottas that could have done better when points were still possibly on offer.

I just disagree with the way you word this saying Bottas just settled for 11th. He certainly looked to try, but possibly could have done a bit better. I couldn't see an easy option for him, and neither did the commentaters on channel 4 think he would have enough of a chance to pass.

mikeyg123
Posts: 17817
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:19 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:19 pm
Covalent wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:15 pm
Badgeronimous wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:34 am
Covalent wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 am
Yes unfortunately this will probably be what ultimately sealed the championship in Hamilton's favour. With a car this dominant you can't afford a 0p race as you know your teammate will win.
Bottas only chance of a championship win is to drive well and get better luck than Hamilton.

He is a quick and tidy driver, but he just lacks a cutting edge when it matters. A perfect "wingman" really.

This looks like being Hamiltons easiest championship, and a credit to Mercedes - they are just a winning machine. You don't need to think too hard to remember the races since 2014 where they haven't had at least 1 driver on the podium. Even in this era, that's an awesome a achievement.
Hamilton has had 9 0p races out of 144 since joining Mercedes, and is currently on a 37-race long points scoring streak. The second longest active point streak is 3 races. The odds are heavily against Bottas...
Bottas doesn't help himself either. He can't afford to leave possible points on the table but he does things like settle for 11th rather than going for a risky 10th. You are never going to beat Hamilton with that attitude.
To be fair, Hamilton's race in Germany was slightly similar to Bottas here, but only regarding the position they finished in. Hamilton had around 1.5 seconds on lap 63 to catch magnussen and pass him. So he had just under 2 laps and he failed. Also Hamilton's long scoring points stat is only there because of the two 30 second penalties for alfa romeo. Stricktly speaking, he finished 11th. Luck is always on Hamiltons side when he messes up it seems. We can also say that he only got these points because of the team, as Hamilton litrally said "ritire the car". So it isn't only Bottas that could have done better when points were still possibly on offer.

I just disagree with the way you word this saying Bottas just settled for 11th. He certainly looked to try, but possibly could have done a bit better. I couldn't see an easy option for him, and neither did the commentaters on channel 4 think he would have enough of a chance to pass.
I don't think Hamilton in a completely different scenario has anything to do with Bottas choosing to not try and outbreak Vettel. That's just pure obfuscation.

Bottas had nothing to lose by trying to outbreak Vettel into the final chicane but didn't do it despite it being on. Vettel would have even been expecting it. He didn't try. He had a look at it and pulled out. Decided he'd pointlessy drive the car home 11th rather than take a risk and go for a point. No way in that situation Hamilton, Verstappen or Ricciardo don't go for it. I found it extremely frustrating to watch. We need more from Bottas. Hes the only person who can stop this year being a total walkover.

The channel 4 commentators said with two laps to go he wouldn't have enough pace to catch Albon which he didn't. However due to Sainz's blowout he only needed to catch Vettel which he did. He just didn't take a risk to pass him.

User avatar
Invade
Posts: 3050
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Invade »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:33 pm
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:19 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:19 pm
Covalent wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:15 pm
Badgeronimous wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:34 am


Bottas only chance of a championship win is to drive well and get better luck than Hamilton.

He is a quick and tidy driver, but he just lacks a cutting edge when it matters. A perfect "wingman" really.

This looks like being Hamiltons easiest championship, and a credit to Mercedes - they are just a winning machine. You don't need to think too hard to remember the races since 2014 where they haven't had at least 1 driver on the podium. Even in this era, that's an awesome a achievement.
Hamilton has had 9 0p races out of 144 since joining Mercedes, and is currently on a 37-race long points scoring streak. The second longest active point streak is 3 races. The odds are heavily against Bottas...
Bottas doesn't help himself either. He can't afford to leave possible points on the table but he does things like settle for 11th rather than going for a risky 10th. You are never going to beat Hamilton with that attitude.
To be fair, Hamilton's race in Germany was slightly similar to Bottas here, but only regarding the position they finished in. Hamilton had around 1.5 seconds on lap 63 to catch magnussen and pass him. So he had just under 2 laps and he failed. Also Hamilton's long scoring points stat is only there because of the two 30 second penalties for alfa romeo. Stricktly speaking, he finished 11th. Luck is always on Hamiltons side when he messes up it seems. We can also say that he only got these points because of the team, as Hamilton litrally said "ritire the car". So it isn't only Bottas that could have done better when points were still possibly on offer.

I just disagree with the way you word this saying Bottas just settled for 11th. He certainly looked to try, but possibly could have done a bit better. I couldn't see an easy option for him, and neither did the commentaters on channel 4 think he would have enough of a chance to pass.
I don't think Hamilton in a completely different scenario has anything to do with Bottas choosing to not try and outbreak Vettel. That's just pure obfuscation.

Bottas had nothing to lose by trying to outbreak Vettel into the final chicane but didn't do it despite it being on. Vettel would have even been expecting it. He didn't try. He had a look at it and pulled out. Decided he'd pointlessy drive the car home 11th rather than take a risk and go for a point. No way in that situation Hamilton, Verstappen or Ricciardo don't go for it. I found it extremely frustrating to watch. We need more from Bottas. Hes the only person who can stop this year being a total walkover.

The channel 4 commentators said with two laps to go he wouldn't have enough pace to catch Albon which he didn't. However due to Sainz's blowout he only needed to catch Vettel which he did. He just didn't take a risk to pass him.

I have to agree. Bottas showed a bizarre lack of teeth for that final point. Maybe he wasn't exactly thinking straight given what had happened and had lost himself in his own head.... orrr maybe that's just Valtteri Bottas. I bet he'll be hearing this noise though and he knows he'll have to go for it more than ever to take the fight to Hamilton now, so watch this space... or in Bottas's case stop watching this space and go and effin' take it.

User avatar
Clarky
Posts: 4585
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm
Location: LONDON...!

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Clarky »

Mercedes have tweeted that Hamilton did 230KPH (143MPH) down the Hanger Straight on the final lap on 3 wheels.

Ross Brawn has apparently said that Hamilton did over 130KPH through Copse and Stowe.

Asphalt_World
Posts: 4949
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Asphalt_World »

Good to see that it's been shown that Kvyat had a puncture that pitched him off. He was so apologetic to his team after the crash but it wasn't at all his fault.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Option or Prime
Posts: 1919
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Location: UK

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Option or Prime »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 pm
Good to see that it's been shown that Kvyat had a puncture that pitched him off. He was so apologetic to his team after the crash but it wasn't at all his fault.
Did a few crazy things early on but I have to say I'm warming to him now! I think he appreciates the fact he is still in F1

pokerman
Posts: 35327
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by pokerman »

cmberry20 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:16 pm
Vettel absolutely dejected after the race. Couldn't be bothered to talk to anyone on the last lap or the cool down lap. It got so bad that the mechanics had to ask for a radio check to make sure it was working.
https://youtu.be/0hfc713fl9o

I was hoping Vettel was going to go out with guns blazing. A one last defiance of 'screw you, look what I can do'. But alas, it's more of a broken whimper.
I think eveything went against Vettel, he missed FP1 because of an intercooler problem, then in the other sessions he had a loose brake peddle. Finally to top it off they've had to trim the car out to get performance out of it, it was originally designed around a much stronger engine, a trimmed out car for the fast Silverstone corners would not suit Vettel at all.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Siao7
Posts: 8627
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Siao7 »

cmberry20 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:16 pm
Vettel absolutely dejected after the race. Couldn't be bothered to talk to anyone on the last lap or the cool down lap. It got so bad that the mechanics had to ask for a radio check to make sure it was working.
https://youtu.be/0hfc713fl9o

I was hoping Vettel was going to go out with guns blazing. A one last defiance of 'screw you, look what I can do'. But alas, it's more of a broken whimper.
Ah come on, he had the weekend from hell, you would never be happy when you don't have the tools to fight while your team mate gets a podium in arguably the 4th best car... The bad luck was very one sided this weekend in the Ferrari garage.

Siao7
Posts: 8627
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Siao7 »

Option or Prime wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 pm
Good to see that it's been shown that Kvyat had a puncture that pitched him off. He was so apologetic to his team after the crash but it wasn't at all his fault.
Did a few crazy things early on but I have to say I'm warming to him now! I think he appreciates the fact he is still in F1
I always have a sweet spot for Kvyat, no idea why. Brundle called the puncture straight away, but as Asphalt says, he was so apologetic over the radio that I thought he had caused the accident himself

TheGiantHogweed
Posts: 2810
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Siao7 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:47 am
Option or Prime wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 pm
Good to see that it's been shown that Kvyat had a puncture that pitched him off. He was so apologetic to his team after the crash but it wasn't at all his fault.
Did a few crazy things early on but I have to say I'm warming to him now! I think he appreciates the fact he is still in F1
I always have a sweet spot for Kvyat, no idea why. Brundle called the puncture straight away, but as Asphalt says, he was so apologetic over the radio that I thought he had caused the accident himself
I thought Kvyat looked very quick this race. He gained a lot of places at the start and just before his issue he was actually in Gasly's DRS range. He looked the quicker of the two in the race from the part we saw. Another weekend where in the team mate wars, Gasly seems to have so far got 100% of the votes.
Given Kvyat's penalty and the fact he managed to catch right up with Gasly, I am yet again surprised he's got no votes. Admittedly I haven't voted yet, but I can certainly see a reason to.

mikeyg123
Posts: 17817
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

Is that not the Kvyat way though... Qualifies badly has a great first 10 laps or so but the fades. We see it time and time again from him.

User avatar
tootsie323
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by tootsie323 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 am
Is that not the Kvyat way though... Qualifies badly has a great first 10 laps or so but the fades. We see it time and time again from him.
Splitting hairs in this instance, but I'd hardly refer to a race-ending puncture as fading!
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

User avatar
Alienturnedhuman
Posts: 3899
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Siao7 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 am
cmberry20 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:16 pm
Vettel absolutely dejected after the race. Couldn't be bothered to talk to anyone on the last lap or the cool down lap. It got so bad that the mechanics had to ask for a radio check to make sure it was working.
https://youtu.be/0hfc713fl9o

I was hoping Vettel was going to go out with guns blazing. A one last defiance of 'screw you, look what I can do'. But alas, it's more of a broken whimper.
Ah come on, he had the weekend from hell, you would never be happy when you don't have the tools to fight while your team mate gets a podium in arguably the 4th best car... The bad luck was very one sided this weekend in the Ferrari garage.
You either die a hero or live long enough to become Mark Webber.

TheGiantHogweed
Posts: 2810
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

tootsie323 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:49 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 am
Is that not the Kvyat way though... Qualifies badly has a great first 10 laps or so but the fades. We see it time and time again from him.
Splitting hairs in this instance, but I'd hardly refer to a race-ending puncture as fading!
this wil be basing it on the first race, where his performance did get worse towards the end. But i thought he was consistent in the last couple of races before this weekend. Qualifying is his weekeness though. But still, if he didn't have great speed and some decent overtakes, he wouldn't have caught gasly from 19th this easily. Or Gasly was slow.

Schumacher forever#1
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:06 am
Siao7 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 am
cmberry20 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:16 pm
Vettel absolutely dejected after the race. Couldn't be bothered to talk to anyone on the last lap or the cool down lap. It got so bad that the mechanics had to ask for a radio check to make sure it was working.
https://youtu.be/0hfc713fl9o

I was hoping Vettel was going to go out with guns blazing. A one last defiance of 'screw you, look what I can do'. But alas, it's more of a broken whimper.
Ah come on, he had the weekend from hell, you would never be happy when you don't have the tools to fight while your team mate gets a podium in arguably the 4th best car... The bad luck was very one sided this weekend in the Ferrari garage.
You either die a hero or live long enough to become Mark Webber.
:lol:
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

mikeyg123
Posts: 17817
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

tootsie323 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:49 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 am
Is that not the Kvyat way though... Qualifies badly has a great first 10 laps or so but the fades. We see it time and time again from him.
Splitting hairs in this instance, but I'd hardly refer to a race-ending puncture as fading!
Lol, not in this case no. My point was given past performances it would be a bold assumption that Kvyat would have beaten Gasly without the puncture as it's quite normal for him to start strongly but lose ground later in the race.

mikeyg123
Posts: 17817
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 am
tootsie323 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:49 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 am
Is that not the Kvyat way though... Qualifies badly has a great first 10 laps or so but the fades. We see it time and time again from him.
Splitting hairs in this instance, but I'd hardly refer to a race-ending puncture as fading!
this wil be basing it on the first race, where his performance did get worse towards the end. But i thought he was consistent in the last couple of races before this weekend. Qualifying is his weekeness though. But still, if he didn't have great speed and some decent overtakes, he wouldn't have caught gasly from 19th this easily. Or Gasly was slow.
I think it's both. Gasly starts slowly as he isn't good in traffic but finishes well. Kvyat starts well as he is good in traffic but tends to finish slowly.

pokerman
Posts: 35327
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by pokerman »

Siao7 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:47 am
Option or Prime wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 pm
Good to see that it's been shown that Kvyat had a puncture that pitched him off. He was so apologetic to his team after the crash but it wasn't at all his fault.
Did a few crazy things early on but I have to say I'm warming to him now! I think he appreciates the fact he is still in F1
I always have a sweet spot for Kvyat, no idea why. Brundle called the puncture straight away, but as Asphalt says, he was so apologetic over the radio that I thought he had caused the accident himself
It showed to me the amount of pressure he is under to keep his seat, that and pushing the camera out of the way.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

TheGiantHogweed
Posts: 2810
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Well, people were right regarding Gutierrez not having a super licence. https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/04/mer ... erlicence/

And Mercedes have apparently realised that they have no reserve driver were Bottas or Hamilton not able to race next weekend. That is some lack of organiseation even if the chances of this happening are low.

User avatar
tootsie323
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by tootsie323 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:18 pm
Well, people were right regarding Gutierrez not having a super licence. https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/04/mer ... erlicence/

And Mercedes have apparently realised that they have no reserve driver were Bottas or Hamilton not able to race next weekend. That is some lack of organiseation even if the chances of this happening are low.
I can imagine a quick call from Toto to Claire: Hi, we're just going to borrow George for a couple of days...
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Fiki
Posts: 8041
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Location: Belgium

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Fiki »

pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:49 am
Fiki wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:31 pm
pokerman wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:04 pm
Fiki wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:46 pm
Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:43 pm
Silly silly Red Bull. I guess that wraps the championship as well.
I never understood the rule that says only cars in the points could get a point for fastest lap. And now I hope even F1 will understand the stupidity of some of its spicing up nonsense.
Cars pitting out of the points trying for fastest lap and then racing against the leaders would be a joke.
Do explain! Fastest lap comes towards the end of the race anyway, and whether a car is a leader or out of the points, it would be brought in with a clear window ahead on leaving. And if such a car should try to unlap itself, as with Ocon/Verstappen, then that would be a very welcome blast from the past indeed. There's no rule that says a "leading" driver has to be an idiot.
It would make a mockery of the race especially if some of the leading cars were fighting for position late in the race, you would give preference over what is little more than a gimmick for the integrity of the race?
I find awarding a point for fastest lap strange to begin with. To then exclude drivers/cars who very rarely get a chance to shine seems unsporting to me. Since you know my point of view concerning the current blue flag rules (equally unsporting), it should be clear to you I'm not giving anything up. Except perhaps hope of getting F1 back more to the side of sport, rather than entertainment and business.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

pokerman
Posts: 35327
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by pokerman »

Fiki wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:32 pm
pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:49 am
Fiki wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:31 pm
pokerman wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:04 pm
Fiki wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:46 pm
I never understood the rule that says only cars in the points could get a point for fastest lap. And now I hope even F1 will understand the stupidity of some of its spicing up nonsense.
Cars pitting out of the points trying for fastest lap and then racing against the leaders would be a joke.
Do explain! Fastest lap comes towards the end of the race anyway, and whether a car is a leader or out of the points, it would be brought in with a clear window ahead on leaving. And if such a car should try to unlap itself, as with Ocon/Verstappen, then that would be a very welcome blast from the past indeed. There's no rule that says a "leading" driver has to be an idiot.
It would make a mockery of the race especially if some of the leading cars were fighting for position late in the race, you would give preference over what is little more than a gimmick for the integrity of the race?
I find awarding a point for fastest lap strange to begin with. To then exclude drivers/cars who very rarely get a chance to shine seems unsporting to me. Since you know my point of view concerning the current blue flag rules (equally unsporting), it should be clear to you I'm not giving anything up. Except perhaps hope of getting F1 back more to the side of sport, rather than entertainment and business.
Wanting half the field pitting with just a few laps to go in the pursuit of the fastest lap point I would put down to merely wanting entertainment.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

JN23
Posts: 2373
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by JN23 »

https://press.pirelli.com/pirelli-press-release-0/

Initial investigations point towards the stint length. Tyre selections for this weekend stay the same but pressures will be increased.

User avatar
F1 MERCENARY
Posts: 2387
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

BS… The tires weren't worn to the bare carcas at the point which they literally came apart at the seams. They had some blistering but that happens to tires in every racing series and you don't see them fall apart the way Pirelli tires do.

Pirelli simply stink at proper tire construction, period.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Post Reply