2020 British Grand Prix Practice And Qualifying Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Herb

2020 British Grand Prix Practice And Qualifying Thread

Post by Herb »

So, time for the first of two races at Silverstone this year.

The tyres are the hardest available tyres, next week's 70th Anniversary GP will be a step softer.
Racing Point have posted this, which is pretty cool!

JN23

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix Practice And Qualifying Thread

Post by JN23 »

Alfa on the top step of the podium!

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Looks like the parachute display team is going to get squished by a Pink Mercedes at Brooklands!

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Sergio Perez has returned an ‘inconclusive’ COVID test and is in self-isolation awaiting the result of a retest. Fingers crossed that comes back negative.

Apparently there were other inconclusive results too, but Perez is the only driver.
Last edited by JN23 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typaH4okc

Post by typaH4okc »

JN23 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:42 pm
Sergio Perez has returned an ‘inconclusive’ COVID test and is in self-isolation awaiting the result of a retest. Fingers crossed that comes back positive.

Apparently there were other inconclusive results too, but Perez is the only driver.
you mean negative?

JN23

Post by JN23 »

typaH4okc wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:43 pm
JN23 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:42 pm
Sergio Perez has returned an ‘inconclusive’ COVID test and is in self-isolation awaiting the result of a retest. Fingers crossed that comes back positive.

you mean negative?
Oh dear, I definitely mean negative :blush:

K.F.

Post by K.F. »

I hope Checo will be ok and I wish it to him but... if not? The reserves are on Silverstone? (Vandoorne, Gutierrez or somone else). And I dont' know when will be retest result. We have FP1 tomorrow...
PF1 Pick10 - 2019-CHAMP
Wins 1 Podiums 6

Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Whoever fills in for Perez is going to be jumping right into it, that's for sure. I suppose it'll have to be announced before FP1.
Qualifying Prediction Game 2019 Champion [8 wins]
Pick 10: 2016: 22nd | 2017: 21st | 2018: 3rd | 2019: 20th
Top Three: 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th] | 2018: 4th [4th] | 2019: 3rd [1st]

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

https://racer.com/2020/07/30/hulkenberg ... ritish-gp/

Sounds like Hulk is finally going to get a shot in a top 3 drive.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Herb

Post by Herb »

It's official!

Be interesting to see if the RP is as competitive as it was in Hungary, at least in qualy. Is this the best car Hulk has ever driven?

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Mercedes have said they don’t know how the car will perform in hot conditions. It’s going to be 30 degrees today so they’ll probably find out.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Depending on how quickly Hulk can get up to speed he might finally end his podium less streak here. That would be amazing. Definitely the best car he's ever driven. I think Verstappen will be the toughest hurdle though. Should be very interesting to follow.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Some drivers really need to learn to drive slower when their car has wrecked tyres. At the speed Giovinassi was going back to the pits, it looked like he was damaging a lot of expensive parts and slowign down could have avoided that. Leclerc did the same during Monaco last year and put himself out of the race simply due to the manner he drove back to the pits.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Vettel out of FP1.

TheGiantHogweed

Doesn't Horner sound relieved to be speaking to Channel 4 without Crofty! You can tell he enjoys it more and actually regrets having to speak to Crofty. It is possibly helped by webber being there, but he's always seemed to like speaking with Edwards when compared to Sky. You can sometimes hear him almost groan when he's speaking to sky at times.

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Hulkenberg complaining of a numb right pickle cheek after 9 laps. Do you think he will make it to qualifying?

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 am
Some drivers really need to learn to drive slower when their car has wrecked tyres. At the speed Giovinassi was going back to the pits, it looked like he was damaging a lot of expensive parts and slowign down could have avoided that. Leclerc did the same during Monaco last year and put himself out of the race simply due to the manner he drove back to the pits.
Perhaps they simply can't tell they're damaging bits. They may be unable to hear it at speed, certainly can't see it and may simply have to be told.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

TheGiantHogweed

Fiki wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:44 am
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Perhaps they simply can't tell they're damaging bits. They may be unable to hear it at speed, certainly can't see it and may simply have to be told.
If you watch the onboard, there is a simply massive amount of vibration. ben edwards said on channel 4 that the vibration can be greatly reduced by going slower as it looked to be resonating at the speed he was going. Given the amount of juddering, It is puzzling as to why he didn't go slower. He shouldn't have even needed to be told.

TheGiantHogweed

45 minutes into practice 2 of the british grand prix and nobody on this thread? Is it to do the new forum?

Interesting bit of anger from verstappen there. Hass are TERRIBLE at warning their drivers of approaching traffic. It has been said in the past that that they don't warn their drivers in the same way. You notice it is Grosjean and Magnussen that get in the way in the races when being lapped, but I don't think the team help in that regard.

The thing that annoyed me about Verstappen is he made such a big deal of it that he stayed alongside Grosjean for simply ages (at this point Grosjean had moved and was waiting for verstappen to move on), and I bet that if the team didn't warn him of Hulkenberg's fast lap, Verstappen will have done exactly the same as Grosjean. He's not good at controling his anger at all. He has the right to be angry, but shoudl have dealt with the fact that this sometimes happens far quicker.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Albon crash!

TheGiantHogweed

Wow a post! :D

I'm not convinced Vettels car is fixed. He had issues in first practice, Has had his peddles looked at just now and his car looks a total handful and on the super soft on his first fast lap is 18th and 1.6 seconds off the lead. Vettel is not having much luck this season though a bad first race did not help.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:53 pm
45 minutes into practice 2 of the british grand prix and nobody on this thread? Is it to do the new forum?

Interesting bit of anger from verstappen there. Hass are TERRIBLE at warning their drivers of approaching traffic. It has been said in the past that that they don't warn their drivers in the same way. You notice it is Grosjean and Magnussen that get in the way in the races when being lapped, but I don't think the team help in that regard.

The thing that annoyed me about Verstappen is he made such a big deal of it that he stayed alongside Grosjean for simply ages (at this point Grosjean had moved and was waiting for verstappen to move on), and I bet that if the team didn't warn him of Hulkenberg's fast lap, Verstappen will have done exactly the same as Grosjean. He's not good at controling his anger at all. He has the right to be angry, but shoudl have dealt with the fact that this sometimes happens far quicker.
Yes Haas have said that they don't warn their drivers and Grosjean's attitude seemed to be what's the big deal, this is why some of us don't have any antipathy to either the team or their drivers.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

TheGiantHogweed

You just can't watch over 30 seconds of live coverage of Vettel without a lock up, or running wide of something like that. His car just does not seem right.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:08 pm
Wow a post! :D

I'm not convinced Vettels car is fixed. He had issues in first practice, Has had his peddles looked at just now and his car looks a total handful and on the super soft on his first fast lap is 18th and 1.6 seconds off the lead. Vettel is not having much luck this season though a bad first race did not help.
I thought I'd please you. 2 whole words, plus I added an exclamation mark!

TheGiantHogweed

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:04 pm
Fiki wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:44 am
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
If you watch the onboard, there is a simply massive amount of vibration. ben edwards said on channel 4 that the vibration can be greatly reduced by going slower as it looked to be resonating at the speed he was going. Given the amount of juddering, It is puzzling as to why he didn't go slower. He shouldn't have even needed to be told.
https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/31/gio ... s-driving/

And he's been given a warning for his actions. I myself thought at the time that his speed was ridiculously fast for the amount of vibration he had. I would actually question why Leclerc got no punishment in Monaco last year for driving round after contact with hulkenberg at great speed which caused his car to fall to bits. If he had driven carefully, he wouldn't even have had his tire de laminate. But instead he made a right mess of his car and the track and caused a safety car and his own retirement by this driving. And this wasn't even looked at by the stewards... Is this driving more acceptable at Monaco? This was just practice with Giovinazzi, but I don't see what he did as anything like as dangerous when compared to Leclerc last year that was during the race.

TheGiantHogweed

pokerman wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:28 pm
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Yes Haas have said that they don't warn their drivers and Grosjean's attitude seemed to be what's the big deal, this is why some of us don't have any antipathy to either the team or their drivers.
His attitude will surely be related to the fact that once he realised he was in the way, he instantly moved over, then Verstappen refused to go past him probably until his team warned him of hulkenberg coming. I know his lap was messed up, but it is only practice.... I can understand Grosjean's point there in a way. It shouldn't be a big enough deal to basically block the track even more than grosjean was doing himself just for the sake of making a fuss about it... I literally can understand Grosjean's attitude given Verstappen's reaction. The team and Grosjean both did a poor job. but if anything, verstappen's reaction was just as bad and I believe that in his moment of anger, he probably will have blocked hulkenberg if it wasn't for the team warning him.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:48 pm
pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

His attitude will surely be related to the fact that once he realised he was in the way, he instantly moved over, then Verstappen refused to go past him probably until his team warned him of hulkenberg coming. I know his lap was messed up, but it is only practice.... I can understand Grosjean's point there in a way. It shouldn't be a big enough deal to basically block the track even more than grosjean was doing himself just for the sake of making a fuss about it... I literally can understand Grosjean's attitude given Verstappen's reaction. The team and Grosjean both did a poor job. but if anything, verstappen's reaction was just as bad and I believe that in his moment of anger, he probably will have blocked hulkenberg if it wasn't for the team warning him.
I might have known it would all be Verstappen's fault. God only knows what Grosjean thinks he's doing coasting through a section of track where he has to cross the racing line multiple times.

TheGiantHogweed

mikeyg123 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:39 pm
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:48 pm
pokerman wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I might have known it would all be Verstappen's fault. God only knows what Grosjean thinks he's doing coasting through a section of track where he has to cross the racing line multiple times.
I never said it was all Verstappen's fault. I also said the team and Grosjean did a poor job. My point was that Verstappen made such a big deal over losing a lap in a practice session. And due to his actions of frustration by refusing to move past Grosjean, he nearly blocked Hulkenberg himself which to be barely sets a better example than what grosjean did. If he's trying to make a big deal that grosjean did something wrong (which he did) He should also be aware of his actions nearly causing the same problem. Grosjean was late to respond, but Verstappen stayed along side presumably swearing for over 10 seconds while the team probably told him to get a move on due to other drivers on a lap behind.

My main point is is that both drivers dealt with this poorly.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

So Verstappen got out the way of everyone.... Something Grosjean failed to do. I don't really see your point. If anything it shows how easy it is not to get in anyone's way.

TheGiantHogweed

mikeyg123 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:04 pm
So Verstappen got out the way of everyone.... Something Grosjean failed to do. I don't really see your point. If anything it shows how easy it is not to get in anyone's way.
But why did Verstappen make such a big deal over it? He himself had earned himself a reprimand in practice for impeding in Canada 2016. And even recently, I don't think he's one of the best at getting out of others way, especially given how he over reacts whenever he gets slowed down. I'm not denying that Grosjean had poor judgement. I just think verstappen is rather dramatically over reacting to it. It wasn't even investigated.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Anyone seen any long run data?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:27 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:04 pm
But why did Verstappen make such a big deal over it? He himself had earned himself a reprimand in practice for impeding in Canada 2016. And even recently, I don't think he's one of the best at getting out of others way, especially given how he over reacts whenever he gets slowed down. I'm not denying that Grosjean had poor judgement. I just think verstappen is rather dramatically over reacting to it. It wasn't even investigated.
Wasn't it his quali sim run? I can understand why he'd be angry especially as it always seems to be Haas that get in the way. I don't think you can hold up Verstappen making a similar over 4 years ago as a reason why he can't get frustrated about it today. It not being investigated because it's practice doesn't stop it being very annoying. If Grosjean does that in quali it will be a slam dunk penalty. If he thinks twice before pottering through Becketts tomorrow then Verstappen will have done him a favour.

Yes it's an over reaction but Grosjean was being a mobile chicane. It was Grosjean/Haas that made the mistake.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

The only thing less surprising than TheGiantHogweed defending Grosjean is mikeyg123 defending Verstappen.

Neither of you is going to be impartial here. Lost cause to argue the incident.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 16 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Exediron wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:57 pm
The only thing less surprising than TheGiantHogweed defending Grosjean is mikeyg123 defending Verstappen.

Fair point, although I secretly prefer Perez :lol:

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

JN23 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:02 pm
Anyone seen any long run data?
https://i.gyazo.com/04418d91a37c5c99cb9 ... fe9c28.png

Ferrari don't look too clever (as predicted) but Mercedes seem suspiciously slow. I imagine the heat will make most of FP1/2 unrepresentative of what will actually transpire today and tomorrow.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Thanks Flash :thumbup: :thumbup:

TheGiantHogweed

Exediron wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:57 pm

I did start to worry that me arguing with Mikey was taking over the forum yesterday. it seemed very quiet!

There is no way that I can deny that I frequently defend Grosjean. I certainly do. I rated him as the worst driver on the grid and almost thought he should leave mid season in 2018. But since then, i think he's improved which I don't think many seem to see. His awful moanign radio messages haven't improved and I think they get broadcast more from him for the sake of entertainment actually because he is known for it. And many just criticize him for every little thing he does wrong and ignore it when other drivers make the same little mistakes. Also don't notice when he actually has good performances. Yesterday was a silly mistake, but it was just practice and Verstappen didn't need to blow up about it.

Maybe it is free practice of lapping the Haas! :lol: That will surely happen in the race too though hopefully he will get a move on out the way faster.

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

ferrari looking much better

TheGiantHogweed

Vettel looks like he has the pace given the lack of practice he's had, but he's having absolutely no luck at all this weekend. Issues in all 3 practice sessions. Same as yesterday.

TheGiantHogweed

Well, I can't say either Hamilton or Bottas are more likely to get pole based on practice. But if Bottas gets pole, Unless Mercedes force Hamilton to use the same strategy and Bottas makes no mistakes, then I think Hamilton will win.