The Official Lando Norris thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Post Reply
Herb
Posts: 2534
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm

The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by Herb »

Seemed odd Lando didn't have his own Official PF! forum thread, so thought I'd put that right.

Official Accounts/Websites
Website: https://landonorris.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LandoNorris
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/landonorris/
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/landonorris


He seems to be making some waves this year, a couple of good races, currently 4th in the championship and a seemingly very likeable character. I'm becoming a big fan.

And then there's this: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/norr ... y/4841382/

Zazu
Posts: 369
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by Zazu »

That picture was put all over social media by McLaren and cynical old me can't help feel its purely a PR/media stunt


The mechanics will be bonkersly well drilled in stripping the car and if he genuinely wanted to help he'd have been better off brushing the floor or making brews


He does seem like a genuinely nice and funny guy though. When Ted chats to him post race he seems like a fan who has won a weekend working with the team

Option or Prime
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Location: UK

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by Option or Prime »

Very true, he comes across as really grounded. There is a graet little video with Aubameyang, the Arsenal footballer requesting some e-sports coaching. Worth a watch.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... at-mclaren


User avatar
Invade
Posts: 3890
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by Invade »

Lando has a bit of charisma about him. I think he's gonna be a very popular figure in F1.

pokerman
Posts: 38134
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by pokerman »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:


https://youtu.be/mahs8c03Y5o
I see Ticktum hasn't changed much I counted 3 times where he looked to push Norris off the track on the last lap, as Norris said he just wanted to make sure he didn't crash for series points. I use to race at that track and were Ticktum passed near the end is not a passing place, if Norris had not seen him Ticktum would have crashed Norris out of the race.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 100 (1st)
Pole Positions: 101 (1st)
Podiums: 177 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

oz_karter
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by oz_karter »

Hard not to like him.

Going to be a real treat having Ricciardo and Norris together at McLaren next year...

Battle Far
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by Battle Far »

Having secured (potentially) endorsements from just about every toy, clothing and media organisation which targets 6 year old girls through his helmet design competition, today's Silverstone qually lap was pretty special.

5th, 0.2s faster than Sainz (for the 3rd time in 4 races) he is looking the real deal now.

wire2004
Posts: 1917
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by wire2004 »

I had heard a few bad stories of lando being a bit of a jerk online and with his fans. Boy was I wrong.

Watching some of the youtubers and tiametmarduk in particular. Especially during the lockdown. Lando is game for a laugh and the way he comes across is actually very likeable. Its changed my perception of lando and turned me into a fan of his.

JN23
Posts: 4029
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by JN23 »

wire2004 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:45 am
I had heard a few bad stories of lando being a bit of a jerk online and with his fans. Boy was I wrong.

Watching some of the youtubers and tiametmarduk in particular. Especially during the lockdown. Lando is game for a laugh and the way he comes across is actually very likeable. Its changed my perception of lando and turned me into a fan of his.
There is one example of it that didn’t seem to get much attention during lockdown. Just after Vettel was dropped he was live on Twitch watching a video that had been made that was having a go/making fun of Vettel and he was laughing along with it. At best it was unprofessional.

Anyway, that aside he seems to be a pretty good guy.

pokerman
Posts: 38134
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by pokerman »

Still early days in the season but he seems to have stepped it up a bit from last season which you would expect, and last season he wasn't that shabby.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 100 (1st)
Pole Positions: 101 (1st)
Podiums: 177 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
tootsie323
Posts: 3734
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by tootsie323 »

Just watching a post-race interview with Lando on Channel 4. They have a video feed with a 6yo girl (Eva) who's design was on Lando's helmet toady. Great stuff.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

User avatar
DOLOMITE
Posts: 2342
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by DOLOMITE »

Another superb effort. I can't remember which thread I posted it on before, but looks like Lando is really determined to make his mark this year. And he's right to. Focus is on VER/HAM for the title so for the rest, this year has to be about the 2021 driver market and at that very least beating your teammates.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

TheGiantHogweed
Posts: 4297
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:36 am
Another superb effort. I can't remember which thread I posted it on before, but looks like Lando is really determined to make his mark this year. And he's right to. Focus is on VER/HAM for the title so for the rest, this year has to be about the 2021 driver market and at that very least beating your teammates.
I probably did underrate both him and Sainz last year. But did think he was a little better than Sainz even then. And this year, I think he is steadily proving to possibly have potential to be on another level to Sainz. To Me I would probably say he's also looking better than Russell, but then it is easier for him to prove things.

pokerman
Posts: 38134
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by pokerman »

He made a similar strong start last year but then faded after midseason, it's looking promising thus far but I feel that Danny Ricc has still to get up to full speed.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 100 (1st)
Pole Positions: 101 (1st)
Podiums: 177 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

kleefton
Posts: 4187
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by kleefton »

The thing I'm most impressed about Lando is that he is beating Leclerc in a similar pace car. Yeah the Mclaren is probably slightly faster, but you'd expect Leclerc's quality to keep him in front but that hasn't been the case. Norris is simply driving like a world champion at the moment. Ricciardo has a lot of catching up to do and it's hard to imagine him being in front of this Lando Norris on a consistent basis.

Option or Prime
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Location: UK

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by Option or Prime »

One thing I've noted about Norris is his ability to accept help from anyone, not only in F1 but in Sim racing or his Esports stuff, he also seems to have a great relationship with his engineer.
I'm not sure anyone could have stopped Lewis yesterday when his tyres were optimised and he is on a roll like that.

-K-
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by -K- »

Lando did have a lot of bad luck in one of their seasons, which I thought flattered Sainz in terms of making him look a lot better than Norris. I’ve thought they were close from the off and Lando may turn out to be better in time given that he is only a few seasons in.

Looking at the comparison between Lando and Daniel at the moment, Ferrari are probably thinking that they made the right call between Sainz and Ricciardo and wouldn’t rule out approaching Lando in the future if plans didn’t work out with Schumi Jr.

oz_karter
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by oz_karter »

-K- wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:21 pm
Lando did have a lot of bad luck in one of their seasons, which I thought flattered Sainz in terms of making him look a lot better than Norris. I’ve thought they were close from the off and Lando may turn out to be better in time given that he is only a few seasons in.

Looking at the comparison between Lando and Daniel at the moment, Ferrari are probably thinking that they made the right call between Sainz and Ricciardo and wouldn’t rule out approaching Lando in the future if plans didn’t work out with Schumi Jr.
Yes Lando looked quite handy at Imola.

But we know Dan can drive. There is clearly some difficulty he is having with the McLaren, it isn't suiting his driving right now and he doesn't have confidence. From memory he had a similar start at Renault and as the season went on he got faster and faster, eventually eclipsing Nico Hulkenberg and then some. His second season at Renault was very strong.

I think we'll see the same at McLaren. Dan will get stronger, but I think Lando will be a much better match for Dan than Hulkenberg or Ocon were.

mikeyg123
Posts: 19924
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

Ricciardo has been worse than all his teammates in the wet. He is definitely behind Norris at this point but the margin is not as severe as shown in the race in Imola.

IDFD
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:14 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by IDFD »

During the off season i've been thinking a lot about Norris. His junior career is excellent. Since he's come in he's matched Sainz and is beating Dan Ric. The big question about him I guess is whose better between him and Russell and I do feel (obviously machinary dependant) Norris not Russell is going to be the one that really flys the flag for British racing.

I feel if the new regs and budget cap work as intended we'll see some epic battles between him, Leclerc and Verstappen, and that Russell will be left a little behind.

pokerman
Posts: 38134
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by pokerman »

IDFD wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:04 pm
During the off season i've been thinking a lot about Norris. His junior career is excellent. Since he's come in he's matched Sainz and is beating Dan Ric. The big question about him I guess is whose better between him and Russell and I do feel (obviously machinary dependant) Norris not Russell is going to be the one that really flys the flag for British racing.

I feel if the new regs and budget cap work as intended we'll see some epic battles between him, Leclerc and Verstappen, and that Russell will be left a little behind.
Russell is presently getting left behind at Williams but I don't see that happening if he ends up at Mercedes, are we perhaps looking at a scenario where McLaren are able to overturn Mercedes, I can't see that happening in the short term or are you thinking long term perhaps?
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 100 (1st)
Pole Positions: 101 (1st)
Podiums: 177 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
UnlikeUday
Posts: 10002
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by UnlikeUday »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:42 pm
IDFD wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:04 pm
During the off season i've been thinking a lot about Norris. His junior career is excellent. Since he's come in he's matched Sainz and is beating Dan Ric. The big question about him I guess is whose better between him and Russell and I do feel (obviously machinary dependant) Norris not Russell is going to be the one that really flys the flag for British racing.

I feel if the new regs and budget cap work as intended we'll see some epic battles between him, Leclerc and Verstappen, and that Russell will be left a little behind.
Russell is presently getting left behind at Williams but I don't see that happening if he ends up at Mercedes, are we perhaps looking at a scenario where McLaren are able to overturn Mercedes, I can't see that happening in the short term or are you thinking long term perhaps?
It seemed long term. There's a good chance Norri may end up at Mercedes or Red Bull in a couple of years if he keeps this momentum going..........
Feel The Fourth

User avatar
Exediron
Posts: 9124
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by Exediron »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:42 pm
IDFD wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:04 pm
During the off season i've been thinking a lot about Norris. His junior career is excellent. Since he's come in he's matched Sainz and is beating Dan Ric. The big question about him I guess is whose better between him and Russell and I do feel (obviously machinary dependant) Norris not Russell is going to be the one that really flys the flag for British racing.

I feel if the new regs and budget cap work as intended we'll see some epic battles between him, Leclerc and Verstappen, and that Russell will be left a little behind.
Russell is presently getting left behind at Williams but I don't see that happening if he ends up at Mercedes, are we perhaps looking at a scenario where McLaren are able to overturn Mercedes, I can't see that happening in the short term or are you thinking long term perhaps?
I honestly don't see why it couldn't happen as early as 2022. It's a total reset, and Mercedes' biggest advantage -- their budget -- will be dramatically curtailed. McLaren certainly won't have any problem spending right up to the limit of the new budget cap, and some of the spending they're doing on top of that (the new wind tunnel, for example) indicates a commitment to fighting for championships in the future.

I tend to think a lot of people are too certain that the status quo won't be legitimately upset in 2022. It might not happen, but I feel that it actually could.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (9 wins, 23 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

IDFD
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:14 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by IDFD »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:42 pm
IDFD wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:04 pm
During the off season i've been thinking a lot about Norris. His junior career is excellent. Since he's come in he's matched Sainz and is beating Dan Ric. The big question about him I guess is whose better between him and Russell and I do feel (obviously machinary dependant) Norris not Russell is going to be the one that really flys the flag for British racing.

I feel if the new regs and budget cap work as intended we'll see some epic battles between him, Leclerc and Verstappen, and that Russell will be left a little behind.
Russell is presently getting left behind at Williams but I don't see that happening if he ends up at Mercedes, are we perhaps looking at a scenario where McLaren are able to overturn Mercedes, I can't see that happening in the short term or are you thinking long term perhaps?
I was thinking in both the immediate and long term.

Next season is a complete reset and with the budget cap I see no reason why McLaren should be starting off on the back foot and are just as likely to be the top running team as Merc/Red Bull. They've been trending in the right direction for a few years now and seem to have their house in order for the first time in a while.

For me Norris is the more exciting of the two British talents a lot of that is going to be because of the cars they're in but I do think it's damaging to Russell that every time he's had a chance to make something happen he has either messed it up or his team mates have made more of the chances. I can actually see Russell joining Merc this winter and Lewis making easy work of him and it really ruining his confidence. His mistakes at important times are an issue.

I'd have a lot more confidence in Norris stepping up and competing with Lewis than Russell. Perhaps Russell will prove me wrong and Danny Rics poor performance has me over rating Norris. But Norris really seems to have matured in his racing this season where I'm not sure you could say that about Russell and he's got excellent speed over one lap.

pokerman
Posts: 38134
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by pokerman »

It's interesting how some feel next year will be a total reset especially in respect to Mercedes, at one point it was said that Mercedes were only winning because of their engines, now that engines are close to parity Mercedes are only winning because of the size of their budget this despite the likes of Ferrari and Red Bull never being short of a bob or two to spend.

With budget parity the likes of McLaren will step up to the plate, well I believe that seeing is believing, it's still more likely that Mercedes and Red Bull will be at the front possibly with Ferrari who should be back to firing on all guns again, if McLaren can get in the mix then fair play to them, however for them to overturn the apple cart I would say unlikely.

In respect to Russell and Norris I think how can we know which driver is better, Norris has simply had the better opportunity to prove himself in much better cars, 3rd/4th best car for the past 2 seasons, Russell in 1st-3rd worse cars.

Russell gets little respect for beating Latifi who has no F1 reputation, with Norris we soon seem to forget he spent his first 2 seasons in F1 basically getting beat by Sainz because this season he's been outstanding albeit it has to be said against an under performing Ricciardo.

However as a Brit it's good to see that the torch will be passed down from Hamilton to two outstanding talents in Norris and Russell and I've no real dog in this, Norris perhaps comes across as the more likeable but at this stage there is nothing set in stone here.

Next year Norris for me still has to prove this year is just not fluke of circumstance while perhaps Russell finally gets his big break with Mercedes and then finally he has the opportunity to prove himself.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 100 (1st)
Pole Positions: 101 (1st)
Podiums: 177 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

mikeyg123
Posts: 19924
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:30 am
It's interesting how some feel next year will be a total reset especially in respect to Mercedes, at one point it was said that Mercedes were only winning because of their engines, now that engines are close to parity Mercedes are only winning because of the size of their budget this despite the likes of Ferrari and Red Bull never being short of a bob or two to spend.

With budget parity the likes of McLaren will step up to the plate, well I believe that seeing is believing, it's still more likely that Mercedes and Red Bull will be at the front possibly with Ferrari who should be back to firing on all guns again, if McLaren can get in the mix then fair play to them, however for them to overturn the apple cart I would say unlikely.

In respect to Russell and Norris I think how can we know which driver is better, Norris has simply had the better opportunity to prove himself in much better cars, 3rd/4th best car for the past 2 seasons, Russell in 1st-3rd worse cars.

Russell gets little respect for beating Latifi who has no F1 reputation, with Norris we soon seem to forget he spent his first 2 seasons in F1 basically getting beat by Sainz because this season he's been outstanding albeit it has to be said against an under performing Ricciardo.

However as a Brit it's good to see that the torch will be passed down from Hamilton to two outstanding talents in Norris and Russell and I've no real dog in this, Norris perhaps comes across as the more likeable but at this stage there is nothing set in stone here.

Next year Norris for me still has to prove this year is just not fluke of circumstance while perhaps Russell finally gets his big break with Mercedes and then finally he has the opportunity to prove himself.
I think it's more that we've seen it before with the all the more recent huge technical regs changes.

In 2013 Red Bull cruised to the title, in 2014 they were the 3rd best car behind Williams who had been 2nd worst in 2013.

in 2008 Ferrari, McLaren and BMW fought for the championships. After the regs changes in 2009 they all started the season slowly whilst previous back markers and midfielders won most of the races.

in 2005 Ferrari slipped to 3rd after dominating whilst Renault jumped up to 1st from 3rd and McLaren had the fastest car after being way less competitive in 2004 than they are now.

So when you say "seeing is believing" you can't ignore the fact that we've seen it happen before. We've seen teams make far bigger moves than McLaren would need to in order to become the fastest car.

pokerman
Posts: 38134
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:25 pm
pokerman wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:30 am
It's interesting how some feel next year will be a total reset especially in respect to Mercedes, at one point it was said that Mercedes were only winning because of their engines, now that engines are close to parity Mercedes are only winning because of the size of their budget this despite the likes of Ferrari and Red Bull never being short of a bob or two to spend.

With budget parity the likes of McLaren will step up to the plate, well I believe that seeing is believing, it's still more likely that Mercedes and Red Bull will be at the front possibly with Ferrari who should be back to firing on all guns again, if McLaren can get in the mix then fair play to them, however for them to overturn the apple cart I would say unlikely.

In respect to Russell and Norris I think how can we know which driver is better, Norris has simply had the better opportunity to prove himself in much better cars, 3rd/4th best car for the past 2 seasons, Russell in 1st-3rd worse cars.

Russell gets little respect for beating Latifi who has no F1 reputation, with Norris we soon seem to forget he spent his first 2 seasons in F1 basically getting beat by Sainz because this season he's been outstanding albeit it has to be said against an under performing Ricciardo.

However as a Brit it's good to see that the torch will be passed down from Hamilton to two outstanding talents in Norris and Russell and I've no real dog in this, Norris perhaps comes across as the more likeable but at this stage there is nothing set in stone here.

Next year Norris for me still has to prove this year is just not fluke of circumstance while perhaps Russell finally gets his big break with Mercedes and then finally he has the opportunity to prove himself.
I think it's more that we've seen it before with the all the more recent huge technical regs changes.

In 2013 Red Bull cruised to the title, in 2014 they were the 3rd best car behind Williams who had been 2nd worst in 2013.

in 2008 Ferrari, McLaren and BMW fought for the championships. After the regs changes in 2009 they all started the season slowly whilst previous back markers and midfielders won most of the races.

in 2005 Ferrari slipped to 3rd after dominating whilst Renault jumped up to 1st from 3rd and McLaren had the fastest car after being way less competitive in 2004 than they are now.

So when you say "seeing is believing" you can't ignore the fact that we've seen it happen before. We've seen teams make far bigger moves than McLaren would need to in order to become the fastest car.
I don't believe you are comparing like for like situations, In 2014 Renault dropped the ball not Red Bull while Williams benefitted from a dominant engine.

In 2008 Ferrari and McLaren were in a dogfight and didn't put as much resource into 2009 as other teams, Mercedes are clearly not placing all bets on this year, no excuse for BMW though, even though they didn't really have a WDC capable car in the first place, also all these teams were caught out by the DD loophole, I don't believe next year's regs will be that poorly written.

2005 was the fault of Ferrari's tyre supplier who supplied an inferior product, we have standard tyres now.

You have to be hoping to believe that Mercedes themselves will suffer such a slump when they don't have to overcome similar obstacles such as a much inferior engine, much inferior tyres or simply not putting as much resource into next year as other teams.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 100 (1st)
Pole Positions: 101 (1st)
Podiums: 177 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

mikeyg123
Posts: 19924
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:44 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:25 pm
pokerman wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:30 am
It's interesting how some feel next year will be a total reset especially in respect to Mercedes, at one point it was said that Mercedes were only winning because of their engines, now that engines are close to parity Mercedes are only winning because of the size of their budget this despite the likes of Ferrari and Red Bull never being short of a bob or two to spend.

With budget parity the likes of McLaren will step up to the plate, well I believe that seeing is believing, it's still more likely that Mercedes and Red Bull will be at the front possibly with Ferrari who should be back to firing on all guns again, if McLaren can get in the mix then fair play to them, however for them to overturn the apple cart I would say unlikely.

In respect to Russell and Norris I think how can we know which driver is better, Norris has simply had the better opportunity to prove himself in much better cars, 3rd/4th best car for the past 2 seasons, Russell in 1st-3rd worse cars.

Russell gets little respect for beating Latifi who has no F1 reputation, with Norris we soon seem to forget he spent his first 2 seasons in F1 basically getting beat by Sainz because this season he's been outstanding albeit it has to be said against an under performing Ricciardo.

However as a Brit it's good to see that the torch will be passed down from Hamilton to two outstanding talents in Norris and Russell and I've no real dog in this, Norris perhaps comes across as the more likeable but at this stage there is nothing set in stone here.

Next year Norris for me still has to prove this year is just not fluke of circumstance while perhaps Russell finally gets his big break with Mercedes and then finally he has the opportunity to prove himself.
I think it's more that we've seen it before with the all the more recent huge technical regs changes.

In 2013 Red Bull cruised to the title, in 2014 they were the 3rd best car behind Williams who had been 2nd worst in 2013.

in 2008 Ferrari, McLaren and BMW fought for the championships. After the regs changes in 2009 they all started the season slowly whilst previous back markers and midfielders won most of the races.

in 2005 Ferrari slipped to 3rd after dominating whilst Renault jumped up to 1st from 3rd and McLaren had the fastest car after being way less competitive in 2004 than they are now.

So when you say "seeing is believing" you can't ignore the fact that we've seen it happen before. We've seen teams make far bigger moves than McLaren would need to in order to become the fastest car.
I don't believe you are comparing like for like situations, In 2014 Renault dropped the ball not Red Bull while Williams benefitted from a dominant engine.

In 2008 Ferrari and McLaren were in a dogfight and didn't put as much resource into 2009 as other teams, Mercedes are clearly not placing all bets on this year, no excuse for BMW though, even though they didn't really have a WDC capable car in the first place, also all these teams were caught out by the DD loophole, I don't believe next year's regs will be that poorly written.

2005 was the fault of Ferrari's tyre supplier who supplied an inferior product, we have standard tyres now.

You have to be hoping to believe that Mercedes themselves will suffer such a slump when they don't have to overcome similar obstacles such as a much inferior engine, much inferior tyres or simply not putting as much resource into next year as other teams.

They don't need to slump. They just might not do quite as well with a completely different set of regs as a few other teams.

That's perfectly conceivable.

pokerman
Posts: 38134
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:27 pm
pokerman wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:44 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:25 pm
pokerman wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:30 am
It's interesting how some feel next year will be a total reset especially in respect to Mercedes, at one point it was said that Mercedes were only winning because of their engines, now that engines are close to parity Mercedes are only winning because of the size of their budget this despite the likes of Ferrari and Red Bull never being short of a bob or two to spend.

With budget parity the likes of McLaren will step up to the plate, well I believe that seeing is believing, it's still more likely that Mercedes and Red Bull will be at the front possibly with Ferrari who should be back to firing on all guns again, if McLaren can get in the mix then fair play to them, however for them to overturn the apple cart I would say unlikely.

In respect to Russell and Norris I think how can we know which driver is better, Norris has simply had the better opportunity to prove himself in much better cars, 3rd/4th best car for the past 2 seasons, Russell in 1st-3rd worse cars.

Russell gets little respect for beating Latifi who has no F1 reputation, with Norris we soon seem to forget he spent his first 2 seasons in F1 basically getting beat by Sainz because this season he's been outstanding albeit it has to be said against an under performing Ricciardo.

However as a Brit it's good to see that the torch will be passed down from Hamilton to two outstanding talents in Norris and Russell and I've no real dog in this, Norris perhaps comes across as the more likeable but at this stage there is nothing set in stone here.

Next year Norris for me still has to prove this year is just not fluke of circumstance while perhaps Russell finally gets his big break with Mercedes and then finally he has the opportunity to prove himself.
I think it's more that we've seen it before with the all the more recent huge technical regs changes.

In 2013 Red Bull cruised to the title, in 2014 they were the 3rd best car behind Williams who had been 2nd worst in 2013.

in 2008 Ferrari, McLaren and BMW fought for the championships. After the regs changes in 2009 they all started the season slowly whilst previous back markers and midfielders won most of the races.

in 2005 Ferrari slipped to 3rd after dominating whilst Renault jumped up to 1st from 3rd and McLaren had the fastest car after being way less competitive in 2004 than they are now.

So when you say "seeing is believing" you can't ignore the fact that we've seen it happen before. We've seen teams make far bigger moves than McLaren would need to in order to become the fastest car.
I don't believe you are comparing like for like situations, In 2014 Renault dropped the ball not Red Bull while Williams benefitted from a dominant engine.

In 2008 Ferrari and McLaren were in a dogfight and didn't put as much resource into 2009 as other teams, Mercedes are clearly not placing all bets on this year, no excuse for BMW though, even though they didn't really have a WDC capable car in the first place, also all these teams were caught out by the DD loophole, I don't believe next year's regs will be that poorly written.

2005 was the fault of Ferrari's tyre supplier who supplied an inferior product, we have standard tyres now.

You have to be hoping to believe that Mercedes themselves will suffer such a slump when they don't have to overcome similar obstacles such as a much inferior engine, much inferior tyres or simply not putting as much resource into next year as other teams.

They don't need to slump. They just might not do quite as well with a completely different set of regs as a few other teams.

That's perfectly conceivable.
Not for the examples you gave though.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 100 (1st)
Pole Positions: 101 (1st)
Podiums: 177 (1st)


PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

User avatar
Blinky McSquinty
Posts: 1472
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: The Official Lando Norris thread

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

wire2004 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:45 am
I had heard a few bad stories of lando being a bit of a jerk online and with his fans. Boy was I wrong.
I started watching Norris in Twitch before he was put on McLaren's short list of potential new drivers. He is animated, articulate, and full of enthusiasm, all the time. He is a public relations wet dream. I was always very aware he would light up the interviews, make him a media darling.

I like him, he treats everyone well, and offers the appropriate level of respect. His rise in fame has changed him a bit, he now holds court in Twitch instead of closer interacting. But back when I was closely watching him his viewer count never got over 100. Now it is in the thousands, but it is understandable that his head is a bit big considering his fame and new-found status.

If you want a treat, search for "Norris Thiim" on Youtube, and start watching at the 1:05 mark. Golden, hilarious, and just plain fun.
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.

Post Reply