Re: Driver(s) of the Day - 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix

Post by FormulaFun »

Hamilton, verstappen and Stroll

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Hamilton and Magnussen
then Verstappen and Ricciardo

Stroll starting 3rd in the second best car and finishing 4th is no driver of the race-performance IMO.

Disappointing: Perez, Latifi, Ferrari

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Yeah Stroll’s pace dropped off massively as well once Bottas got ahead. Bit strange really.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I went for Hamilton for his first 3 laps, Verstappen for finishing about 45 seconds in front of the cars he should be racing and Magnussen for holding position well.

Don't really get the votes for Stroll. At best he finished where you would expect.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

There are a lot of options.

Hamilton
Verstappen
Stroll
Ricciardo
Vettel
Magnussen

I think it is tough to decide the 3 stand outs from these. One is certainly magnussen though. Grosjean also benifitted at the start, but slowly slipped back to where Hass was pace wise. Ahead of alfa romeo and WIlliams but that is it. That race wasn't bad from Grosjean, but Magnussen was outstanding. The car was clearly weak, but he remained ahead and looked quicker than stronger cars. 9th was a brillient result.

Stroll is a bit more difficult as many will say it was easily the 2nd best car. But what makes me think he was drivers of the day was that Perez didn't actually look like he was bad, and Stroll beat him by a massive distance.

Vettel was strong this race I think. He lost nearly 10 seconds in his pit stop and there was nothing later in the race that made up for that. He finished in a realistic position despite his bad luck and destroyed Leclerc.

Ricciardo also looked very strong, but I didn't manage to follow his race that closely.

Verstappen's race itself was outstanding, but as horner said, he owes the team for that. He made a poor mistake and was so lucky he had this team behind him that did an incredibly fast fix. It seems harsh but given there are others I'm consideing, I think for this reason, I won't include Verstappen.

I've gone for Stroll, Magnussen and Hamilton. Hamilton did have it very easy like last week though admittedly.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Verstappen. Managed to put himself on the back foot on the way to the grid but put that to the back of his mind to get a great start and make the most of his opportunity, Successfully holding off Bottas at the end. Good job.
Edit: kudos to Magnussen for keeping that Haas in the points.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

TheGiantHogweed wrote: Vettel was strong this race I think. He lost nearly 10 seconds in his pit stop and there was nothing later in the race that made up for that. He finished in a realistic position despite his bad luck and destroyed Leclerc..
Vettel destroyed leclerc? How do you.figure that one out? Leclerc was comfortably ahead when Ferrari decided to shaft him onto soft tyres

TheGiantHogweed

FormulaFun wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote: Vettel was strong this race I think. He lost nearly 10 seconds in his pit stop and there was nothing later in the race that made up for that. He finished in a realistic position despite his bad luck and destroyed Leclerc..
Vettel destroyed leclerc? How do you.figure that one out? Leclerc was comfortably ahead when Ferrari decided to shaft him onto soft tyres
Read what you have just quoted...... Vettel started ahead. When he pitted, he lost nearly 10 seconds and many positions. It was this that got Leclerc ahead and despite Leclerc's strategy not being Ideal, Vettel had no help by any safety cars recovering back and he made up that time and quite a lot more as well. Leclerc also couldn't even keep up with magnussen which says something...

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Read what you have just quoted...... Vettel started ahead. When he pitted, he lost nearly 10 seconds and many positions. It was this that got Leclerc ahead and despite Leclerc's strategy not being Ideal, Vettel had no help by any safety cars recovering back and he made up that time and quite a lot more as well. Leclerc also couldn't even keep up with magnussen which says something...
Your claim was that he destroyed leclerc, when in no way did he destroy leclerc. They were not in the same race as soon as leclerc was put into softs. Vettel made 2 clear mistakes in the race which lost him positions both times. In no way did he have a stand out good race, he achieved less than the maximum due to mistakes by himself.

Ferrari mistakes cost vettel about 5-6 secs and cost leclerc an indeterminate amount but definitely more than 5-6 seconds lol

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Vettel made two mistakes and lost positions both times. He beat Leclerc who was on a shocking strategy but finished where you'd expect him to despite a better result being on.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

FormulaFun wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Your claim was that he destroyed leclerc, when in no way did he destroy leclerc. They were not in the same race as soon as leclerc was put into softs. Vettel made 2 clear mistakes in the race which lost him positions both times. In no way did he have a stand out good race, he achieved less than the maximum due to mistakes by himself.

Ferrari mistakes cost vettel about 5-6 secs and cost leclerc an indeterminate amount but definitely more than 5-6 seconds lol
Must have watched a different race.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

FormulaFun wrote:Hamilton, verstappen and Stroll
Yeah, that was pretty much my take.

Valtteri put in a great drive up the order but he was responsible for needing to do that.

KMag, Danny Ric., and Sebastian all get Kudos but not exceptional.
Mission WinLater

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Rockie wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

What have I said that is not accurate?

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

FormulaFun wrote:
Rockie wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Was Vettel not ahead before the first pit stops, and came out a handful of places behind Leclerc? It took him a long time to eventually catch up and repass Leclerc.

Vettel was much better than Leclerc this weekend - which came at a good time for Seb. Hopefully he continues to perform well to silence the doubters once again.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Hamilton and Verstappen, with an honorable mention to Magnussen.

But the real MVP was Haas' strategist, even if their formation lap pit call was apparently technically illegal. Made everyone else look like fools; I was shocked nobody started on slicks.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (5 wins, 17 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

LBET

Post by LBET »

Voted for Lance. Exceptional performance now that he has the car. Couldn't vote for Max but would have gladly voted for Mechanics of the Day for his crew.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Rockie wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Was Vettel not ahead before the first pit stops, and came out a handful of places behind Leclerc? It took him a long time to eventually catch up and repass Leclerc.

Vettel was much better than Leclerc this weekend - which came at a good time for Seb. Hopefully he continues to perform well to silence the doubters once again.
Yes he was as I have said Ferraris hesitant release cost him probably 5-6 seconds. Where else did Ferrari cost him time in relation to leclerc? Comparing Leclerc and Vettel this race is grasping because they were on completely different strats.

If having a race where you lose positions twice because of driver error , and beating your team mate who is on a clown strategy is a good race for seb, he really has fallen. Maybe my expectations of him are too high. I guess I need to lower my opinion of him to see it.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

A difficult one to judge. Hamilton and Stroll both benefitted from a good job in qualifying and the fact that teammates who would have challenged them got bogged down in traffic by screwing up the start. Verstappen was strong but it was the strategic masterstroke that got him into that position and he almost chucked it all away before the race start.

I think K Mag deserves some credit for keeping it in the points. The strategy call worked wonders and Grosjean worked well as a rear gunner (as well as the mobile chicane that was Leclerc on softs). I'll have to rewatch and have another think.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

I also think Vettel and Ricciardo deserve big plaudits. Ricciardo made an alternate strategy work pretty well, and Vettel performed well.

The best thing Vettel did was overrule his team though. They told him he was boxing for softs and he told them to put him on mediums.

iano

Post by iano »

FormulaFun wrote:
It was Vettel's turn to destroy Leclerc, but he didn't. In fact, they both finished the race.

Schumacher forever#1

FormulaFun wrote:
Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Rockie wrote:
FormulaFun wrote: Your claim was that he destroyed leclerc, when in no way did he destroy leclerc. They were not in the same race as soon as leclerc was put into softs. Vettel made 2 clear mistakes in the race which lost him positions both times. In no way did he have a stand out good race, he achieved less than the maximum due to mistakes by himself.

Yes he was as I have said Ferraris hesitant release cost him probably 5-6 seconds. Where else did Ferrari cost him time in relation to leclerc? Comparing Leclerc and Vettel this race is grasping because they were on completely different strats.

If having a race where you lose positions twice because of driver error , and beating your team mate who is on a clown strategy is a good race for seb, he really has fallen. Maybe my expectations of him are too high. I guess I need to lower my opinion of him to see it.
Are you going to completely disregard the time Vettel lost in having to repass all the cars that came out ahead of him because of the botched pitstop?

Over the weekend, Vettel was arguably quicker. Leclerc did nothing in the entire race to suggest he was quicker.

I have high hopes for Leclerc, and think he's on the road to being one of the quickest in F1. Therefore, any result Vettel has in beating Leclerc would generally be a pretty great performance in my eyes

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Lewis
Kevin
Max

In that order

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

People actually arguing over Leclerc/Vettel? This was one of those weekends.

The start of the race almost dictated how it all went.
When the first pitstops hit, they all flooded in. Some stayed out, some pitted early. The guys started expecting a wet track and potentially more rain - instead it dried out.

Some got hit by real bad traffic, some got caught up in the mistakes of others. Races like this have a dosage of luck. So one driver 'destroying' another when they generally have been matching each other most of the time is deceiving and a bit like a tabloid journalist. As for "must have watched a different race", to be fair... we only get to see times and what happens on the screen. We don't sit there watching two drivers the whole race. So unless you go back and watch them lap for lap to see who struggles etc. In fact I would say this for Leclerc, I think some teams used him as evidence to avoid the soft tyres. Maybe Ferrari split their strat?

Unless you have inside knowledge from the team, you really don't know the big picture. This looked like a real off race for Ferrari in terms of pace but the weather mixed it all up in the first stage.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Teddy007 wrote:. Maybe Ferrari split their strat?

Unless you have inside knowledge from the team, you really don't know the big picture. This looked like a real off race for Ferrari in terms of pace but the weather mixed it all up in the first stage.
We know from Vettel's team radio that he was told he would be boxing for soft tyres. He argued the case for mediums and got his way.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

BMWSauber84 wrote:

We know from Vettel's team radio that he was told he would be boxing for soft tyres. He argued the case for mediums and got his way.
Really poor strategy from Ferrari then.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Schumacher forever#1

pokerman wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

Really poor strategy from Ferrari then.
Shocking how they seem to still struggle on the strategy front for years now. Add further to that that it was impossible to predict when the next rain shower would occur, and therefore a long duration tyre would surely make more sense.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

Verstappen, Hamilton and Stroll for me.

Verstappen with the standout drive, beating a faster car. Hamilton for doing what he does best, zero mistake and strong pace all throughout, and Stroll to a lesser extent for outperforming his teammate and keeping his nose clean all race long. I really think that he just keeps improving year after year.

With Vettel and Leclerc I wouldn't say that Vettel destroyed Leclerc, but it was a sound beating. Vettel outqualified him, and beat him on track despite losing time in the pits and in traffic. Leclerc did have to use the soft tire which was less than ideal, but he was also struggling on the hards and was complaining about them in the radio as he was outdone by one of the Mclarens. So to me, Vettel had better pace all throughout and it wasn't only due to a bad strategy for Leclerc. It's been a bit of a continuing trend since last year really; Vettel's race pace is superior than his teammate.

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

kleefton wrote:Verstappen, Hamilton and Stroll for me.

Verstappen with the standout drive, beating a faster car. Hamilton for doing what he does best, zero mistake and strong pace all throughout, and Stroll to a lesser extent for outperforming his teammate and keeping his nose clean all race long. I really think that he just keeps improving year after year.

With Vettel and Leclerc I wouldn't say that Vettel destroyed Leclerc, but it was a sound beating. Vettel outqualified him, and beat him on track despite losing time in the pits and in traffic. Leclerc did have to use the soft tire which was less than ideal, but he was also struggling on the hards and was complaining about them in the radio as he was outdone by one of the Mclarens. So to me, Vettel had better pace all throughout and it wasn't only due to a bad strategy for Leclerc. It's been a bit of a continuing trend since last year really; Vettel's race pace is superior than his teammate.
I agree with everything except Verstappen, He did exactly as was expected and it was Bottas' inability to get it together despite driving what was head and shoulders the superior car. At times he'd put in blazingly fast stints, but then would run a couple of slower laps to give Verstappen back his advantage. His biggest issue is exactly what he's said is Lewis' greatest strength… Consistency. He should have finished 2nd easily even with the bad start.

I agree Vettel has been better than Leclerc since after the 2nd half of last year started. He's been the more consistent of the two and he has the superior experience & ability to be aware of everything better than Leclerc to question and challenge his team's calls when he realizes their mental blunders will end up costing him.

Leclerc is too timid seems to be a bit of a yes man at times and will complain after the fact. He lacks the ability to see what's coming the way Vettel does and that's a pretty big deal in my book.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

I voted for Max, Lance and K Mag. Though RP pace was disappointing as Lance was 49secs behind Max
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

F1Oz

Post by F1Oz »

went for ric, stroll and russell - I know latter had issues late but he is in a williams - and others did what they should have with equipment - I mean lewis has the best car on grid, Verstappen lucky to start and with second best car on grid - they should have performed - results vs machinery guys

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

F1Oz wrote:went for ric, stroll and russell - I know latter had issues late but he is in a williams - and others did what they should have with equipment - I mean lewis has the best car on grid, Verstappen lucky to start and with second best car on grid - they should have performed - results vs machinery guys
So you went with Stroll who finished fourth in the second best car on the grid?

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
F1Oz wrote:went for ric, stroll and russell - I know latter had issues late but he is in a williams - and others did what they should have with equipment - I mean lewis has the best car on grid, Verstappen lucky to start and with second best car on grid - they should have performed - results vs machinery guys
So you went with Stroll who finished fourth in the second best car on the grid?
I thought this too, but to be fair to F1Oz he thinks Red Bull was the second best car.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I think the Racing Point was the second best car. Stroll easily beat Albon.

Most drivers who finish 30 seconds plus ahead of their team mates get a lot of nominations for driver of the day. Both Hamilton and Verstappen were peerless.

TheGiantHogweed

i'm not sure Racing point are the 2nd best team just yet. They appear not to know how to make the most of things yet. Their strategy was strange too. Both drivers looked far faster in one stint than the other and I think it could be more to do with the set up than the driver. The team need to understand how to work with such a good car before I could consider Stroll and Perez to have the 2nd best opportunity to score high points.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:i'm not sure Racing point are the 2nd best team just yet. They appear not to know how to make the most of things yet. Their strategy was strange too. Both drivers looked far faster in one stint than the other and I think it could be more to do with the set up than the driver. The team need to understand how to work with such a good car before I could consider Stroll and Perez to have the 2nd best opportunity to score high points.
Stroll finished well ahead of Albon... Would you consider Lance a much better driver than Alex?

I think Verstappen has been really flattering the Red Bull. Incredible that without his mechanical failure in Austria he'd only be a few points off the championship lead.

TheGiantHogweed

mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:i'm not sure Racing point are the 2nd best team just yet. They appear not to know how to make the most of things yet. Their strategy was strange too. Both drivers looked far faster in one stint than the other and I think it could be more to do with the set up than the driver. The team need to understand how to work with such a good car before I could consider Stroll and Perez to have the 2nd best opportunity to score high points.
Stroll finished well ahead of Albon... Would you consider Lance a much better driver than Alex?

I think Verstappen has been really flattering the Red Bull. Incredible that without his mechanical failure in Austria he'd only be a few points off the championship lead.
I would say on the whole, Stroll looks to be getting better and could well be close to albon, but would say he did a better job last weekend. The car is capable of being the 2nd best, but I think the team working out how to make the most of it is as much or more to do with the result than the drivers at this stage. Stroll usually underperforms, But to me, he really didn't last weekend.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

I disagree.

Perez was just weak in Budapest. In Styria he was easily one of the quickest in the race. He messed up qualifying and crashed into his opponent for the podium - but that's a driver issue. And Stroll was just painfully slow in Styria.

I think it is the drivers. With decent drivers, the Points would have easily scored at least two podiums so far.

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

mikeyg123 wrote:

Do you think it’s that clear between RP and Red Bull at this stage?

It’s a curious one but I definitely think that Stroll could be better than Albon at this stage in their careers (and more certain for an on-form Perez) – especially in the environment with the RP team focused to get things set-up to Stroll’s liking; and effectively the opposite happening at Red Bull where more of the focus would be towards Max.

But Hungary is kind of unique as well. The main difference is qualifying where the RP drivers held a 0.3-0.6s advantage over Albon in Q2. Probably a solid argument that the RP has the advantage there, especially with Stroll only 2 tenths down on Verstappen and obviously beating him in Q3. The race is fairly compromised though and so we probably never saw Albon’s true pace as I assume that he was fairly handicapped in terms of tyre wear / fuel efficiency in coming back through the field (can’t recall exactly at this point and would need to look again check). I expect we’ll get a clear indication at tracks like Silverstone where overtaking is a little easier. I am curious though which car holds the advantage at the moment.

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

It does seem that with these regulations the good drivers can eek out the race pace by managing the car better. There have been times in the past where Hamilton and Bottas have extensively studied each other’s lap times and info to reduce deficits between race weekends, and it feels like Max has come along way in that regard helping him to get closer to the Mercs over time. I’d expect Max to be a step above the Racing point drivers, but Perez has always been strong in that department, and his information would certainly be shared with Stroll, and so it is possible that with Albon being fairly inexperienced could still leave a fair amount on the table with regards to race pace. Not sure how much that matters when you are stuck behind a Ferrari but something to watch going forward.