Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by FormulaFun »

FormulaFun wrote:LOL

He'll probably still win driver of the day
Called it

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Great race by Verstappen beating Bottas in a slower car.

After watching some of the none steward decsions in F2 and F3 this weekend plus Bottas moving before the lights went out I've no idea what the rules are supposed to be or do they just make the rules up on the fly?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Hamilton mighty!

Magnussen scoring points in one of the worst cars on the grid.

The drivers of the pink Mercedes don't live up to their car.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

FormulaFun wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:LOL

He'll probably still win driver of the day
Called it
Verstappen deserves it.
Last edited by pokerman on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:Hamilton mighty!

Magnussen scoring points in one of the worst cars on the grid.

The drivers of the pink Mercedes don't live up to their car.
Perez was awful, Vettel incoming?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Get Russell in that Mercedes already. Bottas has glimpses of performance that keeps his rating in tact, but ultimately, he would struggle in that Merc if they didn't have such a huge advantage.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Great race by Verstappen to beat Bottas, especially after the crash on the way to the grid. Also a good a race by Albon, but he might have a penalty on the way. Red Bull seemed much better today I’m the race.

Bravo to Magnussen/Haas. Their strategy call at the start got them points.

I thought Vettel did a good race too, beat Leclerc comfortably. Just a shame about the mistake late on.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Assume Bottas was fine with the start because he moved and stopped before lights out? Same as Vettel in Japan?

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:Get Russell in that Mercedes already. Bottas has glimpses of performance that keeps his rating in tact, but ultimately, he would struggle in that Merc if they didn't have such a huge advantage.
Actually, I thought Russel was pretty average/weak today.
Last edited by Paolo_Lasardi on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Schumacher forever#1 wrote:Get Russell in that Mercedes already. Bottas has glimpses of performance that keeps his rating in tact, but ultimately, he would struggle in that Merc if they didn't have such a huge advantage.

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

pokerman wrote:Great race by Verstappen beating Bottas in a slower car.

After watching some of the none steward decsions in F2 and F3 this weekend plus Bottas moving before the lights went out I've no idea what the rules are supposed to be or do they just make the rules up on the fly?
Got to be technical in the chip isn't triggered by the the sensor then its doesn't count, its not visual is it.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Option or Prime wrote:

Got to be technical in the chip isn't triggered by the the sensor then its doesn't count, its not visual is it.
The sensor doesn't stop drivers from getting rolling starts, I've discussed this before it's a greatly flawed system were a sensor apparently takes away the bother of stewards themselves observing if any of the cars move when the lights are on, which is how the start should actually be governed.

3 times Bottas has now done this and 3 times he's got away with it, he's either incredible lucky or there is too much tolerance in the system.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

JN23 wrote:Assume Bottas was fine with the start because he moved and stopped before lights out? Same as Vettel in Japan?

I didn't agree with the decision not to penalise Vettel, and I don't agree with what seems to be the decision not to punish Bottas.

If we can see a false start why bother with sensors ?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

The sensor doesn't stop drivers from getting rolling starts, I've discussed this before it's a greatly flawed system were a sensor apparently takes away the bother of stewards themselves observing if any of the cars move when the lights are on, which is how the start should actually be governed.

3 times Bottas has now done this and 3 times he's got away with it, he's either incredible lucky or there is too much tolerance in the system.
Yes, Bottas is either making the same mistake regularly and getting extremely lucky or he's attempting to gain the system.

spiritone

Post by spiritone »

Hey stroll critics, awefull quiet in here. Perez was supposed to win on race pace, didn't happen. So he beats him in qualifying and now race whats the new excuse??

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Verstappen had a really good race, to get second with a slower and broken car is very good indeed.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

spiritone wrote:Hey stroll critics, awefull quiet in here. Perez was supposed to win on race pace, didn't happen. So he beats him in qualifying and now race whats the new excuse??
I fully agree that Perez was really disappointing today and Stroll was clearly better. Still, neither driver lived up to the potential of the car, which was the second best today and worth a podium.

Generally, the pinks made very little out of the great competitiveness of their Mercedes copy in the first three races - and that's largely due to the mostly subpar performances of their drivers.

spiritone

Post by spiritone »

Is the problem with the drivers or with the team??? Seems the team doesn't have a handle on how to get the race pace out of the car. Fast in practice and qual. but lack race pace. Their strategy is suspect to, should have pitted stroll much earlier.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

spiritone wrote:Is the problem with the drivers or with the team??? Seems the team doesn't have a handle on how to get the race pace out of the car. Fast in practice and qual. but lack race pace. Their strategy is suspect to, should have pitted stroll much earlier.
I don't think the drivers maximized qualifying in Austria and Styria ...

Plus: Perez race-pace in Styria was fine. Just that Stroll was awfully slow.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
spiritone wrote:Is the problem with the drivers or with the team??? Seems the team doesn't have a handle on how to get the race pace out of the car. Fast in practice and qual. but lack race pace. Their strategy is suspect to, should have pitted stroll much earlier.

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
What makes you say that? You probably didn't realise they shafted him with soft tyres, anyone who you he'd those tyres had a bad race, you only have to look at what happened to leclerc to see it

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

FormulaFun wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
What makes you say that? You probably didn't realise they shafted him with soft tyres, anyone who you he'd those tyres had a bad race, you only have to look at what happened to leclerc to see it
You mein Stroll? - In the quotation I refer to Styria.
Or Russel? - I may have missed that but he had a bad race before that as well. May have missed an incident, here, though. Still, losing out to Giovinazzi was not convincing at all.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Magnussen and Grosjean get ten second penalties. Sainz up to P9 and Magnussen down to P10.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Hass under investigation for using driver aids on formation lap. Grosjean has already been penalised by adding 10 seconds to his time. Could very well be the same case for Magnussen. Rules are rules but I don't think the rules the team broke will have helped either with the result today.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/19/bot ... ds-breach/

https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/19/gro ... aids-rule/

Edit, the Title got changed as i wrote this. Both are penalised now. At least Magnussen's drive still shows as being a good one.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

No penalty for Albon.

Renault protested Racing Point again.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:Hass under investigation for using driver aids on formation lap. Grosjean has already been penalised by adding 10 seconds to his time. Could very well be the same case for Magnussen. Rules are rules but I don't think the rules the team broke will have helped either with the result today.

Edit, the Title got changed as i wrote this. Both are penalised now. At least Magnussen's drive still shows as being a good one.
They tell the drivers when to pit (or not to pit) all the time during the race. I don't see what the problem is doing it on the formation lap.
Mission WinLater

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

spiritone wrote:Hey stroll critics, awefull quiet in here. Perez was supposed to win on race pace, didn't happen. So he beats him in qualifying and now race whats the new excuse??
Stroll was better. Perez was reported being unwell all weekend. How much it effected him I don't know but it's certainly clear this race is not representetive of what we usually see. Also worth noting that everyone on Perez's side of the grid (off the racing line) had a really bad start apart from Leclerc. Seems highly likely that it was wetter over that side.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
I fully agree that Perez was really disappointing today and Stroll was clearly better. Still, neither driver lived up to the potential of the car, which was the second best today and worth a podium.

Generally, the pinks made very little out of the great competitiveness of their Mercedes copy in the first three races - and that's largely due to the mostly subpar performances of their drivers.
I think it been a mixed bag. Had they pitted Perez under the safety car in the Austrian GP I think he could have won given Albon's pace on fresh tyres. Stroll just isn't that quick unfortunately.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

JN23 wrote:No penalty for Albon.

Where did you find the results on Albon???
Mission WinLater

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Mort Canard wrote:
JN23 wrote:No penalty for Albon.

Where did you find the results on Albon???
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15072 ... fringement

j man

Post by j man »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:Hass under investigation for using driver aids on formation lap. Grosjean has already been penalised by adding 10 seconds to his time. Could very well be the same case for Magnussen. Rules are rules but I don't think the rules the team broke will have helped either with the result today.

So the team are not allowed to instruct their drivers to pit during the formation lap? That is the stupidest rule I have ever heard. This has to be one of the most ridiculous penalties ever handed out.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

j man wrote:

So the team are not allowed to instruct their drivers to pit during the formation lap? That is the stupidest rule I have ever heard. This has to be one of the most ridiculous penalties ever handed out.
I agree. Totally stupid.
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Instagram @simply_italian_car_pics

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

JN23 wrote:Magnussen and Grosjean get ten second penalties. Sainz up to P9 and Magnussen down to P10.
Seriously?

We have seen dozens of calls by the pit, all unpunished. And now they give Haas 10 seconds while virtually everything is 5 seconds or nothing nowadays? I really do not understand this. Do they want to get rid of Haas? Really ,really puzzling and annoying.

j man

Post by j man »

What also saddens me about the Haas penalty is that it means Markus Winkelhock's stroke of genius from 2007 would be illegal by today's standards.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
JN23 wrote:Magnussen and Grosjean get ten second penalties. Sainz up to P9 and Magnussen down to P10.
Seriously?

We have seen dozens of calls by the pit, all unpunished. And now they give Haas 10 seconds while virtually everything is 5 seconds or nothing nowadays? I really do not understand this. Do they want to get rid of Haas? Really ,really puzzling and annoying.
I don't get the 10 seconds at all because it's both harsher than the usual 5 and not harsh enough to actually cost them more than they gained by doing it.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Yes, Bottas is either making the same mistake regularly and getting extremely lucky or he's attempting to gain the system.
In Olympic sprinting that's not possible to do, in F1 it obviously is.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

In Olympic sprinting that's not possible to do, in F1 it obviously is.
It does seem like you have an oppertunity to take a bit of a rolling start if you're clever about it.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Ferrari managed to screw both of their drivers at that first stop, pit Leclerc for dries first despite Vettel being just ahead on the road, didnt release Vettel into a massive gap in the pit lane, put Leclerc on tires most seemed to know were terrible. Impressive levels of ineptitude tbh.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:Ferrari managed to screw both of their drivers at that first stop, pit Leclerc for dries first despite Vettel being just ahead on the road, didnt release Vettel into a massive gap in the pit lane, put Leclerc on tires most seemed to know were terrible. Impressive levels of ineptitude tbh.
Pitting a lap later was actually the way to go. Verstappen didn't just overtake Stroll by doing that he gained about 11 seconds on him.

LBET

Post by LBET »

Option or Prime wrote:Now who was saying Verstappen was good in the wet...... come on own up!
My Thoughts Exactly!

LBET

Post by LBET »

mikeyg123 wrote:If I was Kvyat I'd be fuming that my team didn't let me pit on the formation lap.
Reading through the thread I was just thinking that. He's stock just went up a bit in my mind.