2020 Hungarian Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
scouseknight

Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by scouseknight »

LBET wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:Now who was saying Verstappen was good in the wet...... come on own up!
My Thoughts Exactly!
Even Michael Schumacher had the odd brain fart in the wet.
Forza Ferrari

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

mikeyg123 wrote:Pitting a lap later was actually the way to go. Verstappen didn't just overtake Stroll by doing that he gained about 11 seconds on him.
This had more to do with Stroll 'only' finishing fourth than his reputed driving ability. As for Perez, his start effectively compromised the race for him (I hear that he wasn't feeling 100% over the weekend as well).
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

JN23

Post by JN23 »

tootsie323 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:Pitting a lap later was actually the way to go. Verstappen didn't just overtake Stroll by doing that he gained about 11 seconds on him.
This had more to do with Stroll 'only' finishing fourth than his reputed driving ability. As for Perez, his start effectively compromised the race for him (I hear that he wasn't feeling 100% over the weekend as well).
He finished 50 seconds behind Verstappen. Once Bottas undercut him, his pace was nowhere. I also think Verstappen had extended the gap to about 15 seconds by the time Bottas pitted but would need to double check.

I’m happy for Stroll that he did a good qualifying and got a good result but people are overhyping his performance imo. Racing Point will probably be a bit disappointed that they haven’t managed to get the results that car is capable of yet.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

JN23 wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
He finished 50 seconds behind Verstappen. Once Bottas undercut him, his pace was nowhere. I also think Verstappen had extended the gap to about 15 seconds by the time Bottas pitted but would need to double check.

I’m happy for Stroll that he did a good qualifying and got a good result but people are overhyping his performance imo. Racing Point will probably be a bit disappointed that they haven’t managed to get the results that car is capable of yet.
I'm not totally sure racing point is as good on race day. I don't think the team have quite understood how to get the best out of a car this good, and I actually think it is more to do with their strategies and setup rather than drivers.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

LBET wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:If I was Kvyat I'd be fuming that my team didn't let me pit on the formation lap.
Reading through the thread I was just thinking that. He's stock just went up a bit in my mind.
If Kvyat was instructed to pit like the HAAS drivers, I think he will have been penalized too. He made it clear that he wanted confirmation on weather he could or not but he was told to stay out. This makes you question that he didn't also receive driver aids on the formation lap. But I'm wondering if if we have been given the wrong reasoning for the HAAS drivers penalties. If Kvyat got away with being told to stay out but the Hass drivers got told to come in, you would have thought they are both information being given to the drivers. The difference being that Grosjean and Magnussen didn't start in the positions they probably supposed to and benefited from the confirmation from the team to box. Although Grosjean actually implied he wanted to before the team said anything to him.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

JN23 wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:

Yes I think Stroll deserves credit for beating his teammate in qualifying, nailing the start, and avoiding errors but once he got past the Haas, it was basically a pre season testing race simulation run in lovely clean air for him. The only two cars that could have challenged his 4th spot were stuck in traffic all race because of either bad starts, bad strategy, or bad qualifying. It's a 7/10 performance rather than some breakout future champion display.

That soft tyre was absolutely horrible in the race. Leclerc was a mobile chicane on them, and Hamilton's looked awful at the end after just 5 laps or so.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
LBET wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:If I was Kvyat I'd be fuming that my team didn't let me pit on the formation lap.
Reading through the thread I was just thinking that. He's stock just went up a bit in my mind.
If Kvyat was instructed to pit like the HAAS drivers, I think he will have been penalized too. He made it clear that he wanted confirmation on weather he could or not but he was told to stay out. This makes you question that he didn't also receive driver aids on the formation lap. But I'm wondering if if we have been given the wrong reasoning for the HAAS drivers penalties. If Kvyat got away with being told to stay out but the Hass drivers got told to come in, you would have thought they are both information being given to the drivers. The difference being that Grosjean and Magnussen didn't start in the positions they probably supposed to and benefited from the confirmation from the team to box. Although Grosjean actually implied he wanted to before the team said anything to him.
Kvyat didn't receive any response on the radio. He asked three times and his team ever replied. On reflection they should actually have called him in and taken the 10 second penalty.