Would you swap Perez for Vettel?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
DeepPyro69

Re: Would you swap Perez for Vettel?

Post by DeepPyro69 »

Exediron wrote:I know this is a little bit of a conspiracy theory, but...

Does anyone else wonder why, as soon as rumors are starting to swirl that Vettel is replacing Perez, Stroll is suddenly solidly beating Perez for the first time in his career? I don't really want to think they're giving Stroll a better car to make their decision look good, but I really don't trust this Lawrence Stroll-led consortium to play fair.
Ha, if you really wanted a conspiracy theory, how about wanting to concrete the Stroll legacy?

Beating a four time world champion teammate would be a big feather in Lance’s cap, even if there are questions about said world champion’s form and (as long as it wasn’t obvious) how you beat him.

That’s a hell of a lot of money to promote your son, but he hasn’t exactly shied from that in the past.

Thoughts 😉

B

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

PlanetF1 taking inspiration from the forum? https://www.planetf1.com/features/why-r ... rop-perez/
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Well, the Strolls sort of "bought" the F3 title this way, so rumours like this are sort of logical. Still, I think Perez had one of his weak weekends while Stroll had one of his better ones - that's all.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:I know this is a little bit of a conspiracy theory, but...

Does anyone else wonder why, as soon as rumors are starting to swirl that Vettel is replacing Perez, Stroll is suddenly solidly beating Perez for the first time in his career? I don't really want to think they're giving Stroll a better car to make their decision look good, but I really don't trust this Lawrence Stroll-led consortium to play fair.
There's rumours of Perez being ill.
https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/18/per ... g-session/

Perez felt a bit dizzy in qualifying and I think that was it.

But I think given that both on Saturday and Sunday Stroll looked a fair bit better, I think this for once showed that he had the pace to beat Perez. I think this is the only time ever Stroll has very comfortably outperformed a team mate that hasn't had a race full of mistakes or errors / bad luck?

The margin in the end was huge. Pretty much 30 seconds which was the same between Bottas and Hamilton until Hamilton pitted. I'm not convinced that Racing point is set up right for the race compared to qualifying. Both showed nowhere near the pace they did in qualifying and I don't think it is totally down to the drivers under performing.

If Stroll can continue to look this good, or at least decent, then I think as harsh as it is on Perez, it may be worth the chance to sign Vettel. I'm not sure why I still have confidence with Vettel really. But if he goes to a new team that is reasonably strong, he may be able to have another Ferrari 2015 year. He still shows to me that he has more pace than Perez ever does both in qualifying and in the race, but consistency is his problem. We just can't confirm if he has the ability to get back on form. But in a new environment and not fighting at the very top with less pressure, he may well be able to get the best out of the car.
I think it's far too early to draw such conclusions. Perez totally duffed the start on a circuit where track position is absolutely everything. The 30 second gap is explained simply by Perez being behind slower cars for much of the race due to his poor getaway, while Stroll basically had free practice 4 once the significantly slower Haas cars were dispatched.

This also only came one race after Perez showing vastly superior race pace to Stroll at a track where overtaking was far more viable. There have been false dawns like this in the past such as Canada last year. I'd need to see Stroll do that a few more times this season before getting too excited.

spiritone

Post by spiritone »

I think you need to look at the lap times in the race. Perez did not have the race pace that stroll had. Perez's fast lap was in the 20's. Stoll got into the m1.18's. Held off Bottas, in a superior car, for quite a few laps and then ran away from Vettle in the ferrari after the pit stop All this arguing about who is going to stay if they sign Vettle is redundant. Stroll SR. isn't listen to any of you anyway and seems to make pretty good decisions by himself. This is F! and drivers get dropped by teams for no good reason all the time. Feel sorry for Perez but i'm sure he will find a home at Haas. Maybe Haas and Slim could pool their money and make the team, TEAM NORTH AMERICA.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

spiritone wrote:I think you need to look at the lap times in the race. Perez did not have the race pace that stroll had. Perez's fast lap was in the 20's. Stoll got into the m1.18's. Held off Bottas, in a superior car, for quite a few laps and then ran away from Vettle in the ferrari after the pit stop All this arguing about who is going to stay if they sign Vettle is redundant. Stroll SR. isn't listen to any of you anyway and seems to make pretty good decisions by himself. This is F! and drivers get dropped by teams for no good reason all the time. Feel sorry for Perez but i'm sure he will find a home at Haas. Maybe Haas and Slim could pool their money and make the team, TEAM NORTH AMERICA.
Again, that isn't particularly relevant because Perez almost never had clean air, and certainly not at the end when the fuel was lightest. Don't get me wrong, Stroll earned the right to that clean air with a solid showing in qualifying, and a good getaway, but one race could be an outlier and we need to see Stroll perform well over a long period.

If we don't see that then it will prove that the nepotism is coming at the detriment of the team (as it did last year but with lower stakes). Stroll will improve, and is showing signs of that, but it's a question of whether his top level will prove to be strong enough.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

Absolutely. Vettel is still one of the best drivers. The only problem is his commitment to midfield team. IMO RP considering their budget have done amazing job for many years consistently. So now with more money may be they can like RBR?. Vettel will be huge boost and can be the surprise of 2021. Especially if RP can clone Mercedes 2020 car. I can see him getting podium which looks rather unlikely this year :-|
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

That's the thing - Vettel is a proven world champion. He alone got himself up to 6th last race by demanding mediums after the rain when the team wanted to slap on softs - and despite their holding him for 2 billion years during that pit stop. I think before we see Racing Point improving because of Vettel, we will see Ferrari suffering for lack of an experienced driver. It may take a year, but Vettel would do wonders for racing point. Not only are they on the cusp, they do not seem to do things the Ferrari way - which has not worked out so well for them over the last decade. Perez has improved leaps and bounds, but does he have what it takes to take them to the next level? Maybe. Does Vettel? Yes. And that is the difference.

spiritone

Post by spiritone »

BMW - never got in clean air??? 70 laps and not one clean lap, really. I'm not saying that stroll is going to beat him for the rest of the year but in this race he flat out beat him. He's 21 and i"ll admit his progress has been slow but there has also been extenuating circumstances. The team has not been the greatest with strategy for both drivers. I sometimes wonder about the communication between st roll and his engineer. They don't seem to be on the same page especially in qualifying. Makes me wonder what happened these last few races. For once the changes they made between Q1 Q2 Q3 actually improved the car. Should be interesting races ahead.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

The most logical scenario would be Perez & Vettel. On paper too, this is a strong lineup & very ideal for the incoming Aston Martin brand. Vettel a multiple world champion & Perez, many a times best of the rest with a good funding as well.

As for Lance, he can either be loaned to another team to keep gaining experience or become the reserve driver with multiple FP outings to prevent him from rusting. He has age & time on his side whereas Vettel & Perez might not have to a certain degree.
Feel The Fourth

spiritone

Post by spiritone »

Not going to happen. Vettle / stroll 2021.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Given that Perez tested positive for Covid-19 following his trip to Mexico (where they have almost zero testing - clue #1) then I would hire Vettel to replace him. So his mom was ill and just got out of the HOSPITAL (clue #2). Award 2 points for wanting to see parent, subtract 3 points for obvious stupidity. I wonder if he even wore a facemask once his private plane touched down in Mexico. If not, 3 clues and you're out.