Vettel
No votes
Perez
100%

Total votes: 4

TheGiantHogweed

Re: Would you swap Perez for Vettel?

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

I understand Perez has missed a couple of races, but I don't think that it should have effected his performance much at all. The time gap was next to nothing. What I find interesting is that if you ignore Stroll's points in the 2 races Perez missed, he would have 30 vs 32 for Perez. We also should note Stroll's retirement in the first race which likely will have cost him at least 4 points or so. Admittedly, Stroll should have been penalised in Styria for his aggressive move on Ricciardo, which would deduct 2 points from him. But things being realistic, Stroll IMO has matched Perez this season.

But is Perez underperforming or has Stroll found some extra pace. Hulkenberg pace wise looked pretty good in his 2nd race, but tyre management was obviously an issue (but then it was for many). Perez did very well with the strategy today, but I still think given Stroll got called to box and then manage his tyres to the end because of Perez's penalty, the credit should go to him for beating him again.

Vettel looked good today and I think one of the reasons for him being poor in recent years (especially this one) is to do with him and the team just not working out. I personally think he is more capable than Perez and would be a reasonable replacement as unfortunate as it is for Perez.

If Haas are still there next year or later on, I can see that being an option for Perez. I don't think I'd have a strong preference for him replacing one specific driver as I think they both have strengths and weaknesses.

I think Stroll though has earned his place given that he is now at least decent. His lack of speed still does often show, but I think he has improved a fair bit compared to where he used to be. If Vettel came and managed to turn around, I believe he could be a good lead driver and the team would be pretty strong. (I'm being optimistic admittedly) But I am actually expecting Stroll to continue beating Perez a bit more than he used to which is either good for him or a bit negative for Perez.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Well I guess we can say where Racing Points vote would have gone now!
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

cmax

Post by cmax »

Sad to see Perez without a sit for next year. He is a solid driver.

j man

Post by j man »

Shameful, classless decision. Perez stuck with that team through some tough times and has done a superb job for them year after year. And how do they repay him? Given that he had a contract for next year, he's effectively been fired so they can hire a driver who's grossly underperformed for the past few years and retain a driver who's only there through nepotism.

Racing Point or whatever they want to call themselves next year will get no goodwill from me, I'll take my support elsewhere.

klevispin

Post by klevispin »

j man wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:00 pm
Shameful, classless decision. Perez stuck with that team through some tough times and has done a superb job for them year after year. And how do they repay him? Given that he had a contract for next year, he's effectively been fired so they can hire a driver who's grossly underperformed for the past few years and retain a driver who's only there through nepotism.

Racing Point or whatever they want to call themselves next year will get no goodwill from me, I'll take my support elsewhere.
Agreed.

In the races this year, I think Stroll has benefitted almost as much from his luck as his skill, but the fact is that he has a heap of points. However he came by them, they all count.

But I’m very sad to see Checo treated this way after he basically saved the team. He’s a good driver who deserves better and deserves to be in a competitive car. I hope he has a good end to the season that catches the eye of Haas or Alfa Romeo management. I think he’s a class act, unlike the Racing Point management.
Watching from the cheap seats.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Well, it appears to be official... Perez has just told ESPN that he's leaving RP at the end of the year, paving the way for Vettel (likely).

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/29 ... eplacement

Steve_muzzy

Post by Steve_muzzy »

Vettel is official now. So the answer to the thread is Aston Martin would.

Mayox

Post by Mayox »

What next if Aston Martin fail to deliver? Lewrence Stroll is going to buy Mercedes and kick out Lewis to have a seat for Lance? It's seriously embarrasing...

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

While his points tally doesn't reflect his performance, Perez has had a bit of a messy season. Qualifying hasn't always been great, and iffy starts have cost him big points. Perez should still have been retained to drive with Vettel IMO though, but realistically we all knew Lance was staying.

Schermerhorn

Post by Schermerhorn »

Just wondering, will Sleepy Sergio be Carlos Sainz' race engineer next year?
You’re not in a fight until there’s pressure. Resistance. Overcoming something. Otherwise, it’s just an exhibition.

F1Oz

Post by F1Oz »

Personally I think Perez would be better bet and RP need to find $40M extra just to deal with the change

da4an1qu1

Post by da4an1qu1 »

Will be a travesty if Perez does not have a drive next year. He's a much better driver than many a number of drivers. Perhaps even race winners

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

I think Perez is clearly currently doing better than Vettel, but i somehow still believe Vettel has something in him that we are not yet seeing. He's just not happy at this team. Perez certainly should still be in F1, but he hasn't looked great overall this year.I know many people's opinions are different to mine, But I still think Stroll has performed marginally better this year. I think their luck is equal by now, if not, slightly worse for Stroll. He's had 4 DNFs that were not his fault in the slightest.Perez has missed 2 races that he can take a small amount of the blame for, but even with Stroll missing 4 results, he's still ahead in the standings.

Perez still is more than good enough to be in F1 though so hopefully he will get a seat somewhere next year.

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:09 pm
I think Perez is clearly currently doing better than Vettel, but i somehow still believe Vettel has something in him that we are not yet seeing. He's just not happy at this team. Perez certainly should still be in F1, but he hasn't looked great overall this year.I know many people's opinions are different to mine, But I still think Stroll has performed marginally better this year. I think their luck is equal by now, if not, slightly worse for Stroll. He's had 4 DNFs that were not his fault in the slightest.Perez has missed 2 races that he can take a small amount of the blame for, but even with Stroll missing 4 results, he's still ahead in the standings.

Perez still is more than good enough to be in F1 though so hopefully he will get a seat somewhere next year.
Next year you'll have your answer, till then you'll have to deal with posts like this every time Perez does well.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

I'm less convinced as each races passes!
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss