2020 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice And Qualifiying Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
wire2004

2020 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice And Qualifiying Thread

Post by wire2004 »

As quickly as the double headers are done with. We travel 250 miles south to Hungary with FP1 in a little over 18 hours away.

I think this will be a battle between the mercedes and Max. Mercedes look too strong in my view. But I think verstappen will secure 2nd ahead of bottas in 3rd.

McLaren will battle racing point. For superiority. Again will be a toss up depending on the weather and how hot it is going to be.

BMWSauber84

Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice And Qualifiying Threa

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Lots of talk about Reb Bull beating Merc in the slow corners. We'll see if that's the case.

Zazu

Post by Zazu »

BMWSauber84 wrote:Lots of talk about Reb Bull beating Merc in the slow corners. We'll see if that's the case.
Toto Wolff has almost become a meme playing down Mercedes' chances. The Mercedes was very good in slow corners last year and looked like it was on rails flying round sector 3 in the Barca preseason test. He was talking about how they may suffer in the higher temperatures that he was seeing forecast. .. I then checked the weather forecast and every single website was showing low 20s and potential rain

I think the race will be decided in turn 1

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Zazu wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:Lots of talk about Reb Bull beating Merc in the slow corners. We'll see if that's the case.
Toto Wolff has almost become a meme playing down Mercedes' chances. The Mercedes was very good in slow corners last year and looked like it was on rails flying round sector 3 in the Barca preseason test. He was talking about how they may suffer in the higher temperatures that he was seeing forecast. .. I then checked the weather forecast and every single website was showing low 20s and potential rain

I think the race will be decided in turn 1
To be fair to Toto, when I looked at Budapest forecast about a week ago it was forecast to be hot and the timings from Austria support the view Red Bull were quicker in the slower corners.

However, I don't expect the weekend to play out with Red Bull having a comfortable advantage. It might be close between the two cars with one having a slight advantage over the other or I wouldn't be surprised to see Merc have a comfortable advantage, but not at the level they did in Austria.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Does anyone else hate it when just before they show a driver replay, they 100% fill the screen with the driver smugly posing and folding their arms? I can't blame the drivers as they will be forced to do this, but seriously, these stupid graphics are overkill. What is wrong with just discretely writing the drivers name with a small image of their face at the same time as showing the replay. Doing what they do is a waste of time and space.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

FP1 done:

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

It's raining currently in Hungary.
Feel The Fourth

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Looks like we’re back and we didn’t miss too much in FP2 anyway!

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Vettel fastest?

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

Honestly the 2019 aero changes have been a complete disaster for F1.

Mercedes went from being competitive but beatable (2017-18) to the best team in every area. Those aero changes favoured Mercedes’ low rake concept and worked against the high rake concept of RBR and Ferrari.

Anyway, FIA slowed down Ferrari in 2005, they slowed down Red Bull in 2014, but have taken their sweet time with Mercedes by allowing them to dominate until at least 2022.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Ah ok, Hamilton did not set a time. Still, beating Bottas, Max and both of Tracing Points should lift his spirits a bit!

Zazu

Post by Zazu »

Barring the odd race where the track suited Red Bull or the turbo charged Ferrari, Mercedes have been completely dominant since the hybrids came in

The fact they are half a second clear of the next closest competitor (which is their 2019 car) just shows how car dominated the results are as most already knew

TheGiantHogweed

Has anyone else been having login problems with this site over the past few weeks? Today it seemed incredibly broken and turned into a football forum even when using the link from planet F1. The proper forum is back now. But it seems you can't go 2 minutes without being logged out. Same on all my devices

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:Has anyone else been having login problems with this site over the past few weeks? Today it seemed incredibly broken and turned into a football forum even when using the link from planet F1. The proper forum is back now. But it seems you can't go 2 minutes without being logged out. Same on all my devices
Check out the feedback thread near the top of the forum. Was down for a couple of hours today yeah.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Zazu wrote:Barring the odd race where the track suited Red Bull or the turbo charged Ferrari, Mercedes have been completely dominant since the hybrids came in

The fact they are half a second clear of the next closest competitor (which is their 2019 car) just shows how car dominated the results are as most already knew
This practice session was not representative. Merc may perhaps be half a second clear of their nearest competitor (they were in Austria), but Tracing Point is not that competitor.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

JN23

Post by JN23 »

When was the last time the Red Bull was seemingly so difficult to drive? Spinning a lot.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Checo............. 8O 8O 8O
Feel The Fourth

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

That pink mercedes in perez hands is mighty fast

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

FP3 done:

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

Lando beats Carlos again!

As you say Perez ........ Wow

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Red Bull need to pull it out of the fire here after that showing.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

I always thought Stroll was a top five driver... And he's only driving a 2019 Mercedes. At the wheel of a 2020 model he would be a top-of the top driver. To say nothing of Perez.
If Vettel ever goes to Force Mercedes Point, whoever is the remaining driver of the current line-up, he'd better have a n°1-with-exclusive-better-car contract if he wants to make an half-decent last stand.
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Harpo wrote:I always thought Stroll was a top five driver... And he's only driving a 2019 Mercedes. At the wheel of a 2020 model he would be a top-of the top driver. To say nothing of Perez.
If Vettel ever goes to Force Mercedes Point, whoever is the remaining driver of the current line-up, he'd better have a n°1-with-exclusive-better-car contract if he wants to make an half-decent last stand.
What have you seen over the past three seasons and two races to make you think Stroll is a top five driver?

TheGiantHogweed

If it rains, I highly expect Hamilton to get pole. But if it doesn't I think it is a 50/50 chance of either him or Bottas getting it. They look so close. This could well continue this season. But Bottas must do it more often than not as well as staying ahead on lap one if he wants a chance of the title.

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

russel WOW

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

RUSSELL

This guy gets no where near as much credit as he deserves

Steve_muzzy

Post by Steve_muzzy »

Track has evolved massively but again, Russell! Why did he sign for williams next year

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Steve_muzzy wrote:Track has evolved massively but again, Russell! Why did he sign for williams next year
Possibly waiting for a drive at Merc?

Track evolution but 1 tenth off verstappen and put his lap in first. Outqualifies a lot of people that set laps after him. Verstappen gets all the hype, leclerc also in the spot light but to me Russell is just as good

JN23

Post by JN23 »

I wonder if Racing Point used two sets of softs in that session? Not sure if that could be an issue later on.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Also to echo others, mega from Russell.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Williams definitely ahead of Haas and Sauber now. Latifi in Q2!

TheGiantHogweed

FormulaFun wrote:
Steve_muzzy wrote:Track has evolved massively but again, Russell! Why did he sign for williams next year

Track evolution but 1 tenth off verstappen and put his lap in first. Outqualifies a lot of people that set laps after him. Verstappen gets all the hype, leclerc also in the spot light but to me Russell is just as good
I think there is also clear evidence that williams have improved? Likely to be the case naxt year too I think. If he feels he's been helping them get to this stage, Staying for another year makes sence and then he may be in a team he can really prove himself.

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

I'm surprised at the lack of pace from Redbull. Can't blame the engine on this track. The car is pretty rubbish by their standards.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

I think there is also clear evidence that williams have improved? Likely to be the case naxt year too I think. If he feels he's been helping them get to this stage, Staying for another year makes sence and then he may be in a team he can really prove himself.
Agreed, must be rewarding seeing your car improve and seeing the fruits of your labour push you up the grid

JN23

Post by JN23 »

kleefton wrote:I'm surprised at the lack of pace from Redbull. Can't blame the engine on this track. The car is pretty rubbish by their standards.
They’ll probably improve and give Merc a challenge by the end of the year and they’ll play up their chances again for 2021 before doing nothing, again.

Edited to add: by give Merc a challenge, I mean be within half a second.

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Albon frustrated

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Did Racing Point get away with that? Seemed bold to go out on mediums again.

TheGiantHogweed

Both Ferraris through to Q3! About as much of an archivement as both Williams getting both cars in Q2 :D

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Why they just send gasly out repeatedly with an obviously dead engine