2020 Styrian Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

F1_Ernie

Re: 2020 Styrian Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Threa

Post by F1_Ernie »

Crofty is so obsessed with rain tomorrow it feels like any sort of rain and quali will get cancelled, F1 is generally pathetic when it comes to rain.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

F1_Ernie wrote:Crofty is so obsessed with rain tomorrow it feels like any sort of rain and quali will get cancelled, F1 is generally pathetic when it comes to rain.
Just came on here to see if anyone was complaining about Crofty, god when he gets a bone there's just no letting it go is there. Ted said about an hour ago that qualifying would probably be run Sunday morning and to stop going on about it.

Since then he's referred to the current order forming the grid loads of times, defended himself against a tweet basically saying what Ted did on air and asked Horner about it on the pit wall.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:Crofty is so obsessed with rain tomorrow it feels like any sort of rain and quali will get cancelled, F1 is generally pathetic when it comes to rain.
Just came on here to see if anyone was complaining about Crofty, god when he gets a bone there's just no letting it go is there. Ted said about an hour ago that qualifying would probably be run Sunday morning and to stop going on about it.

Since then he's referred to the current order forming the grid loads of times, defended himself against a tweet basically saying what Ted did on air and asked Horner about it on the pit wall.
Crofty is absolutely awful but this could possibly be the worst he has ever been, I can't wait for him to go. I loved it when Ted basically told him to shut up and it would just run on Sunday morning.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

FP2 done:

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Crofty is absolutely awful but this could possibly be the worst he has ever been, I can't wait for him to go. I loved it when Ted basically told him to shut up and it would just run on Sunday morning.
Yeah I saw that too, was interesting to watch. Ted's lack of patience with Croft hopefully stems from a broader impatience within the Sky team with his antics. He was trying to rhyme red and white lines with track limits or something earlier as well.

I'd love to see them try out a more informed commentator for at least the practice sessions. The target audience for FP sessions should be those that want to be fed analysis and new information, and Crofty is terrible in that regard. The virtual GP commentators were pretty good imo.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

I just don't get the same excitement about practice sessions as I used to as it is so painful to listen to and most of the time just doesn't relate to what is happening. As I mentioned last week, I loved it when he was telling horner what strategy to try out and he was basically told to shut up and stuck to his job. The number of times it has been clear he doen't do a good job as a commentator is ridiculous now. Di Resta clearly struggled to put up with the amount of interruptions crofty did when he first started after being asked a question.

I do sometimes wonder why Sky keep hold of him. It is clear that some people in the team don't like being with him and by now they should realise that he makes way too many mistakes and many viewers really don't like him.

TheGiantHogweed

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Yeah I saw that too, was interesting to watch. Ted's lack of patience with Croft hopefully stems from a broader impatience within the Sky team with his antics. He was trying to rhyme red and white lines with track limits or something earlier as well.

I'd love to see them try out a more informed commentator for at least the practice sessions. The target audience for FP sessions should be those that want to be fed analysis and new information, and Crofty is terrible in that regard. The virtual GP commentators were pretty good imo.
Ben Edwards and Karun Chandhok I would say were the best line up I've heard in practice sessions. Ben Edwards at least has some racing knowledge from being a Mechanic in Formula ford as well as taking part in several other series. Crofty seems very dumb compared to him regarding his knowledge about the sport. Edwards and Chandhok sounded so passionate and knowledgeable about a practice session and made a whole load of things very interesting. Almost every time someone goes to sky (in my case, i think it is the same for Kravitz), they are forced to play a specific role which often doesn't suit their personality and makes it awkward. Chandhok is still good, but not as good as he was on Channel 4, and Kravitz seems to have been infected by crofty based on some of the stupid remarks he sometimes makes. However, I can respect many like him. But Crofty. Oh i really don't know what there is to like about him. I wish i had the ability to ignore him like some do. I've sometimes had to mute the coverage on race day when he starts telling his stupid stories.

Even Brundle has got a lot worse since being with Crofty since 2012. Every time I watch the Channel 4 highlights after the race on sky, DC and Ben Edwards often notice moments that the two on sky don't. They also don't moan like Brundle or go off topic like Crofty. I'm not sure I want others to join sky as it takes away the best of them because of the role sky force them to play IMO.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Ben Edwards and Karun Chandhok I would say were the best line up I've heard in practice sessions. Ben Edwards at least has some racing knowledge from being a Mechanic in Formula ford as well as taking part in several other series. Crofty seems very dumb compared to him regarding his knowledge about the sport. Edwards and Chandhok sounded so passionate and knowledgeable about a practice session and made a whole load of things very interesting. Almost every time someone goes to sky (in my case, i think it is the same for Kravitz), they are forced to play a specific role which often doesn't suit their personality and makes it awkward. Chandhok is still good, but not as good as he was on Channel 4, and Kravitz seems to have been infected by crofty based on some of the stupid remarks he sometimes makes. However, I can respect many like him. But Crofty. Oh i really don't know what there is to like about him. I wish i had the ability to ignore him like some do. I've sometimes had to mute the coverage on race day when he starts telling his stupid stories.

Even Brundle has got a lot worse since being with Crofty since 2012. Every time I watch the Channel 4 highlights after the race on sky, DC and Ben Edwards often notice moments that the two on sky don't. They also don't moan like Brundle or go off topic like Crofty. I'm not sure I want others to join sky as it takes away the best of them because of the role sky force them to play IMO.
I'm going to be honest I watched the race live and watched the highlights on C4 last weekend and I prefered the Croft/Brundle commentary. I felt they read the race more accurately.

I agree with you that the Croft/Di Resta partnership in practice doesn't work at all for me.

TheGiantHogweed

mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote: Just came on here to see if anyone was complaining about Crofty, god when he gets a bone there's just no letting it go is there. Ted said about an hour ago that qualifying would probably be run Sunday morning and to stop going on about it.

I'm going to be honest I watched the race live and watched the highlights on C4 last weekend and I prefered the Croft/Brundle commentary. I felt they read the race more accurately.

I agree with you that the Croft/Di Resta partnership in practice doesn't work at all for me.
Yea there were a few things that crofty and Brundle followed that Channel 4 didn't seem to pick up on, but I thought that after the incident with Albon, Crofty was especially hopeless. He seemed to have lost track of what lap they were on and wasn't commentating as if there were a few corners to go. He siad that he wondered if mercedes want to let hamilton by and give him clear air to extend his advantage. Was he not looking at the fact there was about 4 corners left and they were on lap 71? Brundle even agreed with him. Then he seemed to realised and commented the lap they were on. Channel 4 were a bit slow to calculate that Norris had got a podium, but at least didn't make silly suggestions that couldn't work at that moment in time.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Yea there were a few things that crofty and Brundle followed that Channel 4 didn't seem to pick up on, but I thought that after the incident with Albon, Crofty was especially hopeless. He seemed to have lost track of what lap they were on and wasn't commentating as if there were a few corners to go. He siad that he wondered if mercedes want to let hamilton by and give him clear air to extend his advantage. Was he not looking at the fact there was about 4 corners left and they were on lap 71? Brundle even agreed with him. Then he seemed to realised and commented the lap they were on. Channel 4 were a bit slow to calculate that Norris had got a podium, but at least didn't make silly suggestions that couldn't work at that moment in time.
Brundle and Croft both clearly forgot to check what lap it was, and I think they even said afterwards on the cool down lap that they had done, but that doesn't really bother me, I dont expect them to be faultless. There was a similar thing in F2 where the commentators were going on about how strong DRS was going to be after the restart... 2 laps from the end of the race, so DRS wasnt going to be activated until the lap after the race finished, but mistakes happen and its unrealistic to expect otherwise.

My main issue is in practice, I think there's just not enough going on for him to commentate on without either going on about something non F1 related or trying to over dramatise things, like today. Now I will say that I think the practice graphics are fairly poor and if they were improved it may make it easier for him to commentate on.

It annoys me that when they're in race sim mode they still just show the leaderboard of fastest times, surely it would be far better to just have a "last lap" time, which updates everytime a driver crosses the line, so you could follow drivers you're interested in and see what lap times they are doing and compare with others. Then maybe when a driver pits the timing board could extend out for a second and give the average lap time of the run and number of laps. The leaderboard could then change every now and again back to the fastest times for anyone who's tuning in halfway through and wants to see.

IMO that would make practice much more engaging to follow and probably easier to commentate on since they could talk about how the long runs are going much easier.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Got to agree practice must be very hard to commentate on specially as it's the same grand prix a week later, tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Crofty was told to bang on about the weather because I dont think there's much else to get excited about. It's just the way Crofty kept talking about the rain I got the feeling a monsoon is coming tomorrow or the whole grid had already decided FP2 was the starting grid. Will be funny if it ends up dry.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

TheGiantHogweed

F1_Ernie wrote:Got to agree practice must be very hard to commentate on specially as it's the same grand prix a week later, tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Crofty was told to bang on about the weather because I dont think there's much else to get excited about. It's just the way Crofty kept talking about the rain I got the feeling a monsoon is coming tomorrow or the whole grid had already decided FP2 was the starting grid. Will be funny if it ends up dry.
I just find that Ben Edwards with DC / Karun Chandhok or even Alan McNish always found something more relevant to talk about, even if it was boring. Edwards often talks about the newer drivers earlier careers when not much is happening, or what happened at the track in previous years. Maybe sky is partially to blame for the nonsense he comes out with at times for the sake of his role, but I'm not sure. I remember when Ericsson crashed one time in a practice session and there was a red flag for simply ages, Edwards and Chandhok made that time really interesting both by talking a great deal about the improvements of safety of the cars as well as other F1 related things rather than talking about what he ate for dinner the other night. Given they are commentators, it is their job to keep us entertained and in practice, I just find Sky too annoying and given their job, I don't think it should be hard. Back when Channel 4 had the rights to have the weekends live (2016 - 2018) they would also show practice sessions and when I watched them, they didn't seem to struggle to think of appropriate things to talk about like Crofty does. It is interesting how I find him much more tolerable during qualifying in the race. I want him to be got rid of altogether. But practice especially.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Tyre sets available:

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

1 lap pace:
Source - Imgur

Race pace:
Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

It's raining there:

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Pouring down now

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

F3 race has been red-flagged due to lot of spins and crashes.
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

FP3 postponed.
Feel The Fourth

TheGiantHogweed

So Sky just repeat last weeks race now? I remember plenty of occations where practice was either cancelled or paused on Channel 4 when it could air practice and they at least kept to live coverage and just discussed something else. Sky showing repeats is poor in my view. At least talk live about last race or look in more depth about it rather than repeating it.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:So Sky just repeat last weeks race now? I remember plenty of occations where practice was either cancelled or paused on Channel 4 when it could air practice and they at least kept to live coverage and just discussed something else. Sky showing repeats is poor in my view. At least talk live about last race or look in more depth about it rather than repeating it.
Listening to BBC audio coverage - much better.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

TheGiantHogweed

tootsie323 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:So Sky just repeat last weeks race now? I remember plenty of occations where practice was either cancelled or paused on Channel 4 when it could air practice and they at least kept to live coverage and just discussed something else. Sky showing repeats is poor in my view. At least talk live about last race or look in more depth about it rather than repeating it.
I'm not getting it on R5SX. Which station is it on?

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
I'm not getting it on R5SX. Which station is it on?
Audio streaming, direct from the web page.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

FP3 - Officially cancelled

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Qualifying 10am local time (9am UK) if they can’t get it done today.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

No idea if anyone is reading this, but is currently not raining.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Things looking a little more promising

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

starting to rain again.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

It was dry for an hour and a half but FIA completely miss the window.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Same story every time with the FIA and wet weather.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:Same story every time with the FIA and wet weather.
I think they might aswell cancel F1 and rain full stop. The tyres are awful and they should just let the cars run wet setups and change back to dry for the race tomorrow.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

What's the point of having rain tires if they can't even qualify during normal rain conditions? If I wanted to watch a sport with zero risk, I would tune in to curling. Perhaps F1 drivers should be paid like curling players?

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

GET THEM OUT THERE AND GET QUALIFIYING COMPLETED.

Similar conditions to the 1998 austrian grand prix qualifiying session.

best drivers in the world. Prove it.

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

come on

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

SmoothRide wrote:What's the point of having rain tires if they can't even qualify during normal rain conditions?
Very good question.

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

Looks absolutely fine to me, get them out
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

This does always confuse me. Yes, the cars will lock-up if you brake too hard, then brake earlier. Yes the cars will spin if you press the throttle too hard, so press it a little less. Show us who's got the ability and a good car please!

I guess the biggest problem is a lack of ride height which causes the car to aquaplane. Perhaps the regs should require a car to be able to run at a certain height which could then be used during wet session.
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Instagram @simply_italian_car_pics

lucifers

Post by lucifers »

finally we about to get a move on

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

I'm so glad this quali is on, it's great to watch
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Steve_muzzy

Post by Steve_muzzy »

Russell seems to be the real deal...