Official 2020 MotoGP Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
DOLOMITE

Re: Official 2020 MotoGP Thread

Post by DOLOMITE »

Just caught Misano. What a strange season. New winners is good, but their wins are leaving a strangely empty feeling for me, not sure why. What are we supposed to make of a Winners list that goes Quartararo-Binder-Dovizioso-Olivera-Morbidelli?.. or a Championship Leader whose results have been 3-6-11-1-5-7. All a bit odd. I was really hoping Rossi would make the podium but as always it seems just out of reach.
Meanwhile thenew names we expected to be at the fore in a no-Marquez world like Zarco, Vinales.... nowhere. Quartararo started brilliantly but as gone backwards since.

And what to make of Honda? Nakagami best placed Honda! And just how much of a freak is Marquez that he can win on a bike others are getting nothing out of.

The current points mean in theory Rossi could from 6th to 1st with a 2nd place. Unlikely but mathematically possible.
Mir, barring DNF's actually has the best av finish.

It's all a bit odd. Also interesting to see the comparison with F1. I don't want the big hitters absent - and different winners each week is kind of nice but when they are seemingly freak results it leaves an odd impression. Look at Binder, I really enjoyed his win, but he's not even managed a podium other than that. I think seeing a new winner is good when you feel you're seeing a new contender emerging, but this is just weird.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

This season would have been so easy for MM with no rider being that consistent. Dovi is leading the championship and what can you say of his season? It's been okish, Vinales goes backwards every race. Commentators keep talking about the changing of guard and this might be to the older GP riders on the grid but if MM was out there Moto GP would be getting so many complaints about being boring.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:22 pm
This season would have been so easy for MM with no rider being that consistent. Dovi is leading the championship and what can you say of his season? It's been okish, Vinales goes backwards every race. Commentators keep talking about the changing of guard and this might be to the older GP riders on the grid but if MM was out there Moto GP would be getting so many complaints about being boring.
And I think that's my issue, there's no pattern to suggest WHO is actually emerging. Look at the results of the 5 winners to date:

Andrea Dovizioso: 3-6-11-1-5-7
 Fabio Quartararo: 1-1-7-8-13-Ret
 Franco Morbidelli: 5-Ret-2-Ret-15-1
 Brad Binder: 13-Ret-1-4-8-12
 Miguel Oliveira: 8-Ret-6-Ret-1-11

wtaf?!
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

If Dovi wins it then it shows none of the younger riders are really anything special, however the ones that I would say have impressed and would be higher if not for unfortunate circumstance are Morbidelli and Bagnaia, both lost 1 podium with engine failures, whilst Bagnaia also missed a couple of races through injury and did not also Morbidelli get injured?
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 164 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:12 pm
If Dovi wins it then it shows none of the younger riders are really anything special, however the ones that I would say have impressed and would be higher if not for unfortunate circumstance are Morbidelli and Bagnaia, both lost 1 podium with engine failures, whilst Bagnaia also missed a couple of races through injury and did not also Morbidelli get injured?
Bagnaia literally looked good on the bike. I was just thinking as Hodgson commented on it. Comfort and feel on a bike is everything when riding hard.
-Stirling Moss

Zazu

Post by Zazu »

Bagnaia has been the only rider that's impressed me this year. Podium at Misano and on for a podium at Jerez when his bike broke. Missed all the Ducati tracks with a broken leg

The races have been entertaining but only because Marquez isn't there and 10seconds up the road. Far from a vintage year

On social media Marquez has posted pictures and videos of an easy return to exercising again. I expect him back at Aragon and I expect him to win both races easily

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Zazu wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:12 pm
Bagnaia has been the only rider that's impressed me this year. Podium at Misano and on for a podium at Jerez when his bike broke. Missed all the Ducati tracks with a broken leg

The races have been entertaining but only because Marquez isn't there and 10seconds up the road. Far from a vintage year

On social media Marquez has posted pictures and videos of an easy return to exercising again. I expect him back at Aragon and I expect him to win both races easily
Well that crossed my mind too. With a spread of winners you have the "taking points off each other" thing where no rider has built a decent lead. Just did some crude maths. If Dovi continued to score at his av rate, Marquez returned next race and won every race, he would be leading the championship with a race to go. Factor in that Dovi probably would NOT score at his current av (Marquez would likely be ahead where Bradl hasn't been) and it's even more plausible.
-Stirling Moss

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

I checked the Vegas odds, and it says a lot that they currently have Marquez at about +200 to win the championship -- only slightly behind Dovi at +140.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:46 pm
I checked the Vegas odds, and it says a lot that they currently have Marquez at about +200 to win the championship -- only slightly behind Dovi at +140.
I wonder if sat at home the penny has dropped for Marquez that he doesn't need to ride bat s__t crazy to beat these riders.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

pokerman wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 pm
Exediron wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:46 pm
I wonder if sat at home the penny has dropped for Marquez that he doesn't need to ride bat s__t crazy to beat these riders.
even it has, he knows no other way.
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Oh Valentino.... Oh Dovi.. Oh Vinales..

does anyone actually want this title?! Mir is starting to look like the only one with the speed AND consistency. 2nd in the standings but still no win.

Mir, Vinales and Dovi could all go top of the standings at the next race. What a crazy year.
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

few rider announcements means for '21 we have

Repsol Honda:
Marc Marquez (End of 2024)
Pol Espargaro (End of 2022)

Monster Yamaha:
Maverick Vinales (End of 2022)
Fabio Quartararo (End of 2022)

Ducati Team:
Jack Miller (End of 2021, option for 2022)
Francesco Bagnaia (End of 2021)

Suzuki:
Alex Rins (End of 2022)
Joan Mir (End of 2022)

Red Bull KTM:
Miguel Oliveira (End of 2021)
Brad Binder (End of 2021)

Aprilia Gresini:
Aleix Espargaro (End of 2022)
Andrea Iannone/Cal Crutchlow/Andrea Dovizioso?

Petronas Yamaha Sepang Team:
Franco Morbidelli (End of 2022)
Valentino Rossi (End of 2021)

Tech3 KTM:
Danilo Petrucci (KTM contract, end of 2021)
Iker Lecuona (KTM contract, end of 2021)

LCR Honda:
Alex Marquez (HRC contract, end of 2022)
Takaaki Nakagami (HRC contract, end of 2020)

Pramac Ducati:
Johann Zarco
Jorge Martin

Avintia Racing
Tito Rabat/Luca Marini?
Enea Bastianini?
-Stirling Moss

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:13 pm
few rider announcements means for '21 we have

Repsol Honda:
Marc Marquez (End of 2024)
Pol Espargaro (End of 2022)

Monster Yamaha:
Maverick Vinales (End of 2022)
Fabio Quartararo (End of 2022)

Ducati Team:
Jack Miller (End of 2021, option for 2022)
Francesco Bagnaia (End of 2021)

Suzuki:
Alex Rins (End of 2022)
Joan Mir (End of 2022)

Red Bull KTM:
Miguel Oliveira (End of 2021)
Brad Binder (End of 2021)

Aprilia Gresini:
Aleix Espargaro (End of 2022)
Andrea Iannone/Cal Crutchlow/Andrea Dovizioso?

Petronas Yamaha Sepang Team:
Franco Morbidelli (End of 2022)
Valentino Rossi (End of 2021)

Tech3 KTM:
Danilo Petrucci (KTM contract, end of 2021)
Iker Lecuona (KTM contract, end of 2021)

LCR Honda:
Alex Marquez (HRC contract, end of 2022)
Takaaki Nakagami (HRC contract, end of 2020)

Pramac Ducati:
Johann Zarco
Jorge Martin

Avintia Racing
Tito Rabat/Luca Marini?
Enea Bastianini?
I hear that Marini and Bastianini are definitely in MotoGP for next year.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Zazu

Post by Zazu »

Another good race today but whoever wins this title I can't think of a less deserving world champion.

After 9 races Vinales, Dovi and Quartararo have only had 3 good races each. Mir has been half decent more regularly but still hasn't won a MotoGP race and was truly abysmal in the wet.

With Marquez Sr rumoured to be returning next week for a double header at one of his best tracks it could easily look even worse

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Just caught Le Mans. This season just gets weirder... big names nowhere again. Fair play to the little Marquez, that was an impressive ride in those conditions.
125 pts still up for grabs if Marquez snr returns and has his usual pace and consistency he could still end up top 5 which would be ridiculous.
-Stirling Moss

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

I cant wait to see MM to actually see some quality this season, harsh but true.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Rossi missing next round with +ve Covid test.
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Another race, another winner. The Other Marquez looking the business now. But the rest.... Mir now leading the championship without a win to his name, Qaurtararo 2nd with 3...
-Stirling Moss

Zazu

Post by Zazu »

Everyone keeps talking about Mir not winning but he was leading by half the track at Austria when it got red flagged.

With a double header at a cold Valencia I expect one of the yamahas to win the title. Cant take seriously a champion who wins then next race is at the tail end of the top 10 or worse

I'm just glad the races are good.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zazu wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:54 am
Everyone keeps talking about Mir not winning but he was leading by half the track at Austria when it got red flagged.

With a double header at a cold Valencia I expect one of the yamahas to win the title. Cant take seriously a champion who wins then next race is at the tail end of the top 10 or worse

I'm just glad the races are good.
It's something I've always thought but it first tends to need the removal of a dominant force, that being how much the points system rewards consistency and to a point mediocrity, I mean you would expect a champion to win some races.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

consistency is good, but if he ends up champ it will look. That's like saying he was the best rider of the year, but at every single weekend there was someone better....
-Stirling Moss

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

WARNING Graphic content.

WARNING Graphic content.

Superbike driver Matheus Barbosa was killed when he hit the track barriers in Interlagos on Sunday :(
Ironic that (at least IMO) he would not have been killed had he not managed to keep the bike standing on the grass.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Covalent wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:18 am
WARNING Graphic content.

WARNING Graphic content.

Superbike driver Matheus Barbosa was killed when he hit the track barriers in Interlagos on Sunday :(
Ironic that (at least IMO) he would not have been killed had he not managed to keep the bike standing on the grass.
oh man.... why didn't he just jump when he was on the grass, he was never going to get the bike slowed down and under control. That's horrible.
-Stirling Moss

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Covalent wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:18 am
WARNING Graphic content.

WARNING Graphic content.

Yeah when Vinales had brake failure earlier this year he threw himself off his bike, the bike hit the barriers and immediately burst into flames, I would guess it wouldn't be an instinctive thing for a normal person to do that when travelling at about 150 mph, most bike riders aren't wired the same.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:42 pm
consistency is good, but if he ends up champ it will look. That's like saying he was the best rider of the year, but at every single weekend there was someone better....
Mir just bagged his first win, he did lose a win earlier in the season because of a red flag, unlike some other riders he didn't have any fresh tyres left for the restart.

With 2 races left he now just needs a podium finish at the next race to be champion, it has to be said he has very much emerged as the rider who deserves to be champion when it was looking at more like which rider was going to fall over the line to be champion.

He's had 7 podiums in the last 9 races which includes his win last time out, also one race were he finished 4th is the race he was winning by 3 seconds before the red flag, curiously I believe that is were Vinales bike burst into flames when it hit the barrier.

When I look at the situation now were Quartararo has the most wins, 3 wins but zero podiums to back those wins up, against the body of results produced by Mir, then I revise my opinion and see Mir as a worthy champion.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:34 pm
DOLOMITE wrote:
Mir just bagged his first win, he did lose a win earlier in the season because of a red flag, unlike some other riders he didn't have any fresh tyres left for the restart.

With 2 races left he now just needs a podium finish at the next race to be champion, it has to be said he has very much emerged as the rider who deserves to be champion when it was looking at more like which rider was going to fall over the line to be champion.

He's had 7 podiums in the last 9 races which includes his win last time out, also one race were he finished 4th is the race he was winning by 3 seconds before the red flag, curiously I believe that is were Vinales bike burst into flames when it hit the barrier.

When I look at the situation now were Quartararo has the most wins, 3 wins but zero podiums to back those wins up, against the body of results produced by Mir, then I revise my opinion and see Mir as a worthy champion.
Yeah I caught the races last night. I guess Mir deserves it, but I can't help but feel it would be better to have a more "winning" champion. There's a chance he could grab another win or 2 from the last races which would good. Moto3 and 2 were good two - again it feels like the riders in with a chance of the title are so desperate they're literally falling off trying to seize the opportunity.
-Stirling Moss

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:44 pm
pokerman wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:34 pm
DOLOMITE wrote:

Yeah I caught the races last night. I guess Mir deserves it, but I can't help but feel it would be better to have a more "winning" champion. There's a chance he could grab another win or 2 from the last races which would good. Moto3 and 2 were good two - again it feels like the riders in with a chance of the title are so desperate they're literally falling off trying to seize the opportunity.
It's the consequence of a poor season but others will say it's been exciting because of the unpredictability, I say poor season because I only get inspired by excellence like what we tend to see with Marc Marquez.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Just been discussing with a friend (and Rossi fan) what a missed opportunity it's been for Valentino this year. Some dubious maths for you. Mir's av fin position is 4th and Rossi's is 5th. 4th is worth 13 pts and 5th is worth 11. If Rossi had managed to stay on the bike and avoid Covid he'd be right in the fight - top 4 at least. Ah well, if's and buts....
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

at my friends (not a PF1er, bikes only for her!) reques, heres the MotoGP standings if you add in points using av fin in places of a DNF/DNS:

Mir: 194
Rin: 167
Mor: 156
Ros: 139
Qua: 136
Vin: 132
-Stirling Moss

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:24 pm
at my friends (not a PF1er, bikes only for her!) reques, heres the MotoGP standings if you add in points using av fin in places of a DNF/DNS:

I'm guessing your Rossi maths was a bit wrong?

I think that shows that Mir has been the standout rider and deserves to be champion.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Zazu

Post by Zazu »

Mir and Rins have been the best riders this year. I think Rins is the best rider besides Marquez but I'm hoping with the world title Mir will go to another level.

After the opening rounds Quartararo and Vinales basically had a 40point head start and have just been dreadful since. With the Yamaha riders you've had races where 1 of them is winning or at least on the podium whilst another is outside the top 10

I don't think it's been a great season at all. Plenty of boring races and lots of disappointing riders.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:38 pm
DOLOMITE wrote:

I think that shows that Mir has been the standout rider and deserves to be champion.
Agreed about Mir, cant really argue unless Quartararo or Rins go on a winning streak for the last 2 races!

Rossi maths:

Has 58 pts from 5 race finishes, so an average of 11.6 pts per finish
He had 5 x DNf'd s and 2 missed races so 7 "missing" results.
11.6 x 7 = 81 points
81+58 = 139 points

(same logic applied to the other riders in the list)
-Stirling Moss

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:09 pm
pokerman wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:

Agreed about Mir, cant really argue unless Quartararo or Rins go on a winning streak for the last 2 races!

Rossi maths:

11.6 x 7 = 81 points
81+58 = 139 points

You said it would put him right in the fight unless I'm missing something?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

pokerman wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:39 am
DOLOMITE wrote:
pokerman wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:

Rossi maths:

11.6 x 7 = 81 points
81+58 = 139 points

ah OK - well that was my friends assumption - not quite borne out by my maths it seems! I guess in theory he would have been in with a shout up to the most recent race maybe which to be fair was after I last spoke with her.

Mathemetically Quartararo, Rins, Vinales and Morbidelli and Dovi could all still take it, but I'd say Mir has one hand on it really.

Speaking of Dovi, almost forget he's even been there this year. Just the weirdest year.
-Stirling Moss

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:35 am
pokerman wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:39 am
DOLOMITE wrote:
pokerman wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:

Rossi maths:

11.6 x 7 = 81 points
81+58 = 139 points

ah OK - well that was my friends assumption - not quite borne out by my maths it seems! I guess in theory he would have been in with a shout up to the most recent race maybe which to be fair was after I last spoke with her.

Mathemetically Quartararo, Rins, Vinales and Morbidelli and Dovi could all still take it, but I'd say Mir has one hand on it really.

Speaking of Dovi, almost forget he's even been there this year. Just the weirdest year.
It's weird because the riders expected to step up to the plate in the absence of Marquez, that being Dovi and Quartaroro, have not done that and an outsider is going to win the title.

A F1 equivalent would be Hamilton getting injured and instead of either Verstappen or Bottas winning the title somebody like Norris wins it.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

pokerman wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:43 pm

It's weird because the riders expected to step up to the plate in the absence of Marquez, that being Dovi and Quartaroro, have not done that and an outsider is going to win the title.

A F1 equivalent would be Hamilton getting injured and instead of either Verstappen or Bottas winning the title somebody like Norris wins it.
Yeah, funnily enough my son just said he is looking forward to Hamilton retiring "because it will make F1 more fun". Thinking of MotoGP this year I said "well I'm not so sure...." There must be a few riders there who have been thinking "if only Marquez wasn't here Id have a chance". Well, where were you!

It's been novel seeing different winners but when they are nowhere the following race you start to question what the win actually meant. You want to believe it's the emergence of a new force in the sport, but I was rarely left feeling like that.
-Stirling Moss