It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:58 pm 

bourbon19 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:
I agree the grid is young and unproven and therefore, it is weak. When Vettel leaves, and assuming Alonso does not return, then you have 2 WDCs on the grid - and that is assuming Kimi stays (and he won't be challenging with his team). Of the remaining, Verstappen and Riccardo could possibly challenge. But I don't trust McLaren to really give Dan the ride he needs to pull it off. That leaves Max. Bottas could challenge, I think, but I think Lewis will have priority. So that leaves us with a fairly weak field. The young drivers have potential, but they need time. We've never seen Any of the non WDCs legitimately fight for the title and so, we have no idea how they will respond to that very special/particular pressure.

In 2007 we just had one world champion on the grid and he had just the 2 titles, we had only two recognised top drivers Alonso and Kimi, two teams won all the races.

A similarly weak season. Hopefully it ends up the same eventually. It could end up even stronger if McLaren, Ferrari and RBR consistenly challenge Merc. That was the thing about 2007 onward, we eventually had 6 strong cars in the field with McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari. So we had 6 drivers with a chance to show their ability - teams willing.

3 teams won last year.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:25 pm 

I've changed my mind. The 2021 grid is looking pretty strong after all ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:21 am 

pokerman wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:
I agree the grid is young and unproven and therefore, it is weak. When Vettel leaves, and assuming Alonso does not return, then you have 2 WDCs on the grid - and that is assuming Kimi stays (and he won't be challenging with his team). Of the remaining, Verstappen and Riccardo could possibly challenge. But I don't trust McLaren to really give Dan the ride he needs to pull it off. That leaves Max. Bottas could challenge, I think, but I think Lewis will have priority. So that leaves us with a fairly weak field. The young drivers have potential, but they need time. We've never seen Any of the non WDCs legitimately fight for the title and so, we have no idea how they will respond to that very special/particular pressure.

In 2007 we just had one world champion on the grid and he had just the 2 titles, we had only two recognised top drivers Alonso and Kimi, two teams won all the races.

A similarly weak season. Hopefully it ends up the same eventually. It could end up even stronger if McLaren, Ferrari and RBR consistenly challenge Merc. That was the thing about 2007 onward, we eventually had 6 strong cars in the field with McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari. So we had 6 drivers with a chance to show their ability - teams willing.

3 teams won last year.

I meant consistently. I would imagine the grid will grow stronger over time. It is a very young grid, less the few champions.