All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Vettel: What Next?
Retire immediately 23%  23%  [ 8 ]
See out whatever exists of the 2020 season then retire 20%  20%  [ 7 ]
Go to a tier-2 team (McLaren etc) 20%  20%  [ 7 ]
Race in another series 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Race his guts out in 2020 to raise his stock and then see how he feels 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 35
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:22 am 
"Vettel: What do you think he should do next?

(A) Retire immediate
(B) See out whatever exists of the 2020 season then retire
(C) Go to a tier-2 team (McLaren etc)
(D) Race in another series
(E) Race his guts out in 2020 to raise his stock and then see how he feels "

This one's too easy........

........(G) Whatever he deems best for himself, with all my best wishes.

'Not up to me (or anyone else). :)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:04 am 
Site Admin

I have split the thread to move the discussion about the current grid being weak into its own thread so it can discuss that without detracting from this one.

There are some earlier posts in this thread discussing the grid being weak, but those also had some direct contribution to this thread so I have left them in here. If you want to challenge those points, please take it up in the new thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15918

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:58 pm 

Unfortunately Ferrari have decided to go with Charles so there was no way Vettel would continue. I do not think it was about money. I am sure Vettel would go to another top team with 10 million $ if they offer him. But RBR said they cannot have 2 number1 in their team. I hope Mercedes offer him a seat which is unlikely. So unless something horrible goes wrong between them and Hamilton regarding extension. I think Vettel is going to retire sadly.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:37 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Unfortunately Ferrari have decided to go with Charles so there was no way Vettel would continue. I do not think it was about money. I am sure Vettel would go to another top team with 10 million $ if they offer him. But RBR said they cannot have 2 number1 in their team. I hope Mercedes offer him a seat which is unlikely. So unless something horrible goes wrong between them and Hamilton regarding extension. I think Vettel is going to retire sadly.

It's looking that way with strong rumours of Alonso joining Renault for 2021.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:45 am 

jimclark wrote:

(A) Retire immediate

I believe the question was "what do THINK". So to give an opinion is up to the individual.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:39 pm 

jimclark wrote:

(A) Retire immediate

What happened to (F) then? did it just (F) off?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:25 pm 

Vettel didnt get to be 4x WDC by chance. Hes got a lot of talent, and Ferrari were nuts to let him go. I have noticed that besides his driving, he contributes strongly to the positive development of the race car, as every team he has worked with shows improvement after he joins their team. This is a skill that is long valuable after a driver retires, so keeping some WDC drivers around at a team never hurts anyone. He should go and drive for a developing team, take the pressure of winning off and go back to the basics and just do what he does best.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:48 pm 

Longnose wrote:
Vettel didnt get to be 4x WDC by chance. Hes got a lot of talent, and Ferrari were nuts to let him go. I have noticed that besides his driving, he contributes strongly to the positive development of the race car, as every team he has worked with shows improvement after he joins their team. This is a skill that is long valuable after a driver retires, so keeping some WDC drivers around at a team never hurts anyone. He should go and drive for a developing team, take the pressure of winning off and go back to the basics and just do what he does best.

It will be interesting to see what Ferrari does after he leaves, for sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:49 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Longnose wrote:

I mentioned this last year he should be Race manger, taking the role from Binotto on race days, tactics and strategy. He knows the car, circuits and fellow racers.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:30 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Longnose wrote:

I mentioned this last year he should be Race manger, taking the role from Binotto on race days, tactics and strategy. He knows the car, circuits and fellow racers.

In a different time I could easily have seen him transition to team owner.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:04 am 

Longnose wrote:

The car wasn't that good last year it just had an engine jacked up on steroids, apparently the car this year isn't that good either, also the 2016 car was worse than the 2015 car, a car designed whilst Vettel was at Red Bull.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:28 am 

Sports cars - IMSA
The show is much better nowadays.
He and Alonso have enough money to enter their own team