It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Aero Research Penalties
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:27 am 

Just got through watching Marc Priestley's YT vid & in it he mentioned there's an idea floating around regarding handicapping wind tunnel development time depending on a teams final position in the WCC. Obviously the lower you finish the more wind tunnel testing you'll be allocated.

Here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjC1LOT0jHk. Start it at about 3:55 into the vid.

Now i'm against this concept as I don't believe in punishing excellence but I had a though while watching the show & it had to do with the budget cap & the continuing struggle to make overtaking easier. I'm sure this would've already been thought of but i'm asking you guys of superior intellect where the floor in this line of thinking is.

I'm of the opinion with a budget cap being introduced the FIA must open the regs right up to encourage development. In my mind tight regs plus a budget cap can lead to nothing other than performance stagnation the same as we've had for the past decade or so. So with the budget cap, overtaking issues & current aero regs in mind, why can there not be just one, simple statement in the regs that say's something like:

"The car must be designed in such a way so as to create an aero disturbance of no more than ( insert number & units here), within an arc of (insert degrees here) from the centre of the rear wing at a distance of (insert distance here) measured from the trailing plane of the rear wing"

That's it. Nothing more except the maximum length & width of the vehicles plus a few other necessary bits & pieces I suppose. I think a simple regulation worded this way would really encourage innovative concepts, which was once one of pillars of F1, all within the budget cap, & make catching & passing easier without all the technical stuff regarding wings & barge boards etc. As long as the car complies with that one statement, design what you want.

So what are your thoughts?

Is this even practical or measurable?
Could the following & overtaking issues that F1 has been struggling with for so long now be remedied with a simple statement like this?
Is it just too simplistic & pie in the sky thinking?

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 360 trophies available, 26 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

Last edited by Jezza13 on Thu May 07, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:50 am 

I agree broadly with your idea, freedom!

As for the idea of handicapping any team because they have done a better job than others, it is just absurd, I can't believe that doing a good job is rewarding you with a penalty of sorts...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:03 am 

I think you'll also find that CFD is fast overtaking wind tunnel testing as a way to improving a cars aerodynamics because you cant test parts without having to build them.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:12 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
I think you'll also find that CFD is fast overtaking wind tunnel testing as a way to improving a cars aerodynamics because you cant test parts without having to build them.

Yeah it was aero research penalties, not just wind tunnel

Title changed

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 360 trophies available, 26 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:21 pm 

i don't understand this budget cap and wanting the smaller teams to compete for wins each week, same as merc and ferrari in F1.
for me, f1 has always had a class system, sure there have been obvious era's of dominance by one team or another. so be it. the idea is to build a better machine and beat the competition.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:48 pm 

pc27b wrote:
i don't understand this budget cap and wanting the smaller teams to compete for wins each week, same as merc and ferrari in F1.
for me, f1 has always had a class system, sure there have been obvious era's of dominance by one team or another. so be it. the idea is to build a better machine and beat the competition.

Same as every sport. I just find it so weird that there are sports that people just admire Federer or Loeb being the best and winning absolutely everything, while other sports just want budget caps and crippling competition to level the playing field.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:53 pm 

^yep. usain bolt didn't have to strap extra weight around his waist, just because he was faster than everyone else

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:19 pm 

pc27b wrote:

We have never had a such a long period of such stability at the front. This is the only time in the history of sport that I could tell you at the start of one season who would be at the front at the start of the next.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:33 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pc27b wrote:

We have never had a such a long period of such stability at the front. This is the only time in the history of sport that I could tell you at the start of one season who would be at the front at the start of the next.

This is very true, but I find myself wondering; so what? Why is this such a bad thing? Loeb won 9 in a row. Not overall, but in a row. For a whole decade (well, 9 years) you would know who would win the championship. We never heard a word about WRC being boring...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:12 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Yeah it was aero research penalties, not just wind tunnel

Title changed

I see, thanks for that.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:39 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pc27b wrote:

This is very true, but I find myself wondering; so what? Why is this such a bad thing? Loeb won 9 in a row. Not overall, but in a row. For a whole decade (well, 9 years) you would know who would win the championship. We never heard a word about WRC being boring...

We did loads and it pretty much killed off the WRC as a top level championship. It was considered almost on par with F1 in terms of prestige names like Sainz, McRae and Makkinen were famed throughout motorsport. The WRC was massively more popular at the beginning of Loeb's run in 2003 than at the end in 2012.

Having the competitive order pretty much set in stone is never good in a team sport. It removes one of the most important variables.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:41 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pc27b wrote:

true, but what are we supposed to do, blame mercedes, go to a spec series ?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:02 pm 

pc27b wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pc27b wrote:

true, but what are we supposed to do, blame mercedes, go to a spec series ?

There are other options. Doing nothing will only result in Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull to continue to slowly pull away.

I think the budget cap is a good start and once that is implemented I'd actually open up development avenues. I know that sounds counter intuitive but here is my reasoning - Currently with the spec so locked down once a team has built up a performance gap it's very hard to close as there really is very little avenue for development that will give a large jump. It's all refining, cutting weight etc. Look back even to the recent past and teams had the space in the regs to make a big jump. In 2009 Force India moved from being the slowest car on the grid to getting a pole position in one upgrade. And remember this was an independent team against a far deeper field of big budget opposition than we face today.

That couldn't happen now as their simply isn't the freedom in the regs for a team to make that jump.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:35 pm 

A spec series I do not wan't, but a big part of me has long wanted a standardised front wing and nose cone. There appear to be the area of the car that is developing more than anything during a year with tiny little changes here and there. This costs a crazy amount of money. They are far too weak and puncture tyres too easily. I'm sure they could be strengthened a little and above all else, it could make all the cars look a lot nicer!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:43 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pc27b wrote:

We did loads and it pretty much killed off the WRC as a top level championship. It was considered almost on par with F1 in terms of prestige names like Sainz, McRae and Makkinen were famed throughout motorsport. The WRC was massively more popular at the beginning of Loeb's run in 2003 than at the end in 2012.

Having the competitive order pretty much set in stone is never good in a team sport. It removes one of the most important variables.

I honestly do not remember any talks about the WRC getting boring. And I do not think it is as bad as you make it, a period of domination happens and then it is the next guy/team. Bolt, Bubka, Karelin, Jordan, Maywether, Armstrong, Phelps, the list goes on. Take your pick, it is always awesome to see the rest trying to dethrone the king, the man/team to beat.

We seem to have a fundamental difference of opinion, which is fine, so I'll leave it here.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:03 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pc27b wrote:

I honestly do not remember any talks about the WRC getting boring. And I do not think it is as bad as you make it, a period of domination happens and then it is the next guy/team. Bolt, Bubka, Karelin, Jordan, Maywether, Armstrong, Phelps, the list goes on. Take your pick, it is always awesome to see the rest trying to dethrone the king, the man/team to beat.

We seem to have a fundamental difference of opinion, which is fine, so I'll leave it here.

Dominance effects different sports differently. In individual sports dominance is almost cherished I agree team sports less so especially when the victor is not decided by tournament. In a tournament format no matter how dominant the team it's still all up for grabs until the last.

There is also the fact that F1 is unique in that most people focus on drivers yet the most important factor is the team.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:20 pm 

pc27b wrote:
^yep. usain bolt didn't have to strap extra weight around his waist, just because he was faster than everyone else

The problem is that at the moment we have something more akin to the opposite situation. Imagine the other runners being forced to strap extra weight around their waists because Bolt was the most famous name in the sport and drew in the most fans, so therefore it was in the sport's interest for him to be rewarded with a competitive advantage to keep him winning.

Anyway I don't like this idea of turning things round the other way and penalising the winners, I just want all the teams to compete on an equal footing. If the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes really want to demonstrate to the world that they are at the forefront of automotive engineering then perhaps they should prove it by building a faster car than everyone else with the same budget and resources available.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:34 am 

The way I'd approach the budget cap would be by making it a "soft" cap. Ie don't restrict the teams for exceeding the cap, but disencourage them instead. For every dollar a team exceeds the cap, they'd need to give another one to the rest of the field, distributed e.g. proportional to each team's previous WCC standing so that the lowest ranking teams get the largest portion of this penalty compensation.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:07 am 

Covalent wrote:
The way I'd approach the budget cap would be by making it a "soft" cap. Ie don't restrict the teams for exceeding the cap, but disencourage them instead. For every dollar a team exceeds the cap, they'd need to give another one to the rest of the field, distributed e.g. proportional to each team's previous WCC standing so that the lowest ranking teams get the largest portion of this penalty compensation.

Yes that could have been a good solution.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:11 pm 

Still think that this could result in some silly performances by teams if there are two well off the pace. As they may even end up trying to be last in the championship if they are that desperate to improve.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:49 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Still think that this could result in some silly performances by teams if there are two well off the pace. As they may even end up trying to be last in the championship if they are that desperate to improve.

I think the cost would be too high. Don't forget championship position directly effects prize money.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:04 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I think the cost would be too high. Don't forget championship position directly effects prize money.

Yes and they would be gambling on next year's compensations.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:04 pm 

I always want racing to be a meritocracy. But in team sports like Formula One, the individual teams do not start off in anything comparable to an equal footing. yes, money has always made the difference, and usually, the team with the biggest budget succeeds. But for the last 20+ years Formula One has stagnated, and it's business model is not sustainable. We witnessed that when three teams were introduced in 2010, and we watched as they folded soon after.

For the sport to flourish and grow, it must draw in the fans. And that is definitely not happening these days. All major sports organization recognize that they must have a changing of the guard frequently.

This attempt to limit aero development stems from the fundamental financial disparity between teams. Some can afford the time, some can't.

IMO my proposal for a common front wing, underbody, and rear wing would cut costs.