It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:17 am 

Banana Man wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
It will be interesting to see what Renault do. If they do indeed sign Vettel, or at least make a serious attempt to, it will be a sign that they still have ambitions of being championship winners.

I'm not convinced it's the best move he could make though. But he may well be of the opinion that as a works team, they are his best remaining option.

Why? I personally think Ric is at least as good and Ocon has the potential to give him a run for his money. Vettel for me just doesn't have that same aura of invincibility that comes with Ham, Max or Alonso.

I'm saying that if they sign another big name driver like Vettel it would signal ambition. If they replace Ricciardo with a midfield driver, it will signal intentions of scaling things down.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:52 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Sainz to Ferrari is going to be fully confirmed within 48 hours, Ricciardo to McLaren and Vettel is tentatively going to Renault, but Alonso is rumored to be in the mix for third stint at Renault, though I'd bet on Vettel over Alonso there.

Well the first two moves are correct according to the BBC.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:03 pm 

Forget winning WCC, forget winning the WCC Ricciardo and Norris will be a perfect comedy double at McLaren, that will be worth paying to see!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:12 pm 

Gutted for Danny Ric not getting the Ferrari Seat - I think he would have been better off staying at Red Bull. Mclaren is a lateral move.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:58 pm 

I wonder what happens if Sainz starts beating Leclerc?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:08 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:

A > B > C comparisons implode utterly.

But -- even as someone who rates Sainz pretty highly -- it isn't very likely.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:57 am 

Exediron wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

A > B > C comparisons implode utterly.

But -- even as someone who rates Sainz pretty highly -- it isn't very likely.

I'm sure you are right, it was just that the whole pack of cards rested on Sainz being Leclerc's number 2 and I wondered if his development was complete.

It does make the first batch of races interesting at least!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:10 am 

Danny Ric confirmed at McLaren for 2021!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:42 am 

JN23 wrote:

Favorite driver in my favorite team. I should be stoked but, & I may be Robinson Caruso here, I think he's made a blunder here. I'm disappointed he moved.

Renault have said for a few years now their focus is the regs change. If he wants a WC, then in my mind, Renault remains a better bet than McLaren. Yes they had a hiccup in their upward trajectory last year but they demonstrated the progress they made in the PU & they knew where they went wrong in their chassis development.

Obviously Macca are a safe bet when it comes to long term future in the sport, especially in the current climate, but the upcoming budget cap suits Renault perfectly, & they're continuing to hire quality personnel.

I still believe, possibly somewhat delusional, that Renault will be in a better position to challenge for the 2022 championship than McLaren.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 360 trophies available, 26 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:14 pm 

I think this could well mean Alonso back at Renault for a third stint. If Vettel says no then who else is there?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:40 pm 

It seems lot of people here mistake "driving for a midfield team" with "being a midfield driver". It's not the drivers fault if we get 16 midfield cars every year we get lucky not to get 18 of them...
Do you really think Ricciardo would be considered as a top driver if he hadn't been driving for Red Bull, and had only few years of his Renault stint to show us ?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:44 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
I think this could well mean Alonso back at Renault for a third stint. If Vettel says no then who else is there?

Alonso left McLaren because he was tired of driving around without any chance of winning anything. Why would he come back to Renault?

I have not been following F2 or F3 that closely, but I suspect that Renault will probably promote some young driver in their team for 2021.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:46 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Alonso left McLaren because he was tired of driving around without any chance of winning anything. Why would he come back to Renault?

I have not been following F2 or F3 that closely, but I suspect that Renault will probably promote some young driver in their team for 2021.

They don't have a junior diver with anywhere near enough licence points. Assuming we get an F2 season Lundgaard or Zhao would have to finish 1st or 2nd in the championship.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:54 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:

I’ve seen Gasly suggested which I don’t see personally.

I also don’t see this but, Bottas if either... 1) Merc decide to drop him or 2) Lewis beats him again he’s had enough of being beaten by Lewis so decides to move himself.

Is there any chance that the FIA would relax super license requirements due to the curtailed season?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:01 pm 

JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I also don’t see this but, Bottas if either... 1) Merc decide to drop him or 2) Lewis beats him again he’s had enough of being beaten by Lewis so decides to move himself.

Is there any chance that the FIA would relax super license requirements due to the curtailed season?

I think it would make sense if they extended the time points could be accumulated in by a season. So points had to be earned in the last 4 seasons rather than last 3.

Bottas is a possibility as is a return for Hulkenberg. Bottas to Renault would, i guess, mean Russell to Mercedes.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:16 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I think it would make sense if they extended the time points could be accumulated in by a season. So points had to be earned in the last 4 seasons rather than last 3.

Bottas is a possibility as is a return for Hulkenberg. Bottas to Renault would, i guess, mean Russell to Mercedes.

Or Vettel to Mercedes.

Russell is still young and inexperienced, and the right time for him to take a top seat might coincide with the day Lewis decides to retire.

I'd love to see Hulk back on the grid, but have a feeling Renault may not take him back after sacking him the year before. Perhaps a seat at Haas will open up for him, or are we in a permanent state of having the Grosjean-Magnussen duo causing mayhem at the back?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:37 pm 

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Or Vettel to Mercedes.

Russell is still young and inexperienced, and the right time for him to take a top seat might coincide with the day Lewis decides to retire.

I'd love to see Hulk back on the grid, but have a feeling Renault may not take him back after sacking him the year before. Perhaps a seat at Haas will open up for him, or are we in a permanent state of having the Grosjean-Magnussen duo causing mayhem at the back?

They didn't sack him. They didn't renew his contract as they felt they had a better option. If Hulkenberg is the best option again I dout they would bulk at approaching him. I don't see Vettel at Mercedes as likely at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:54 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Or Vettel to Mercedes.

They didn't sack him. They didn't renew his contract as they felt they had a better option. If Hulkenberg is the best option again I dout they would bulk at approaching him. I don't see Vettel at Mercedes as likely at all.

Sacked, figuratively speaking I guess. They replaced him with Ocon, and while he suits Renault's preferred profile more, it implies they had limited confidence in Hulkenberg's abilities. Bringing him back would mean Renault would have to admit to their fault at leaving him behind, and for both sides to be still on positive terms.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:57 pm 

This in the realm of fantasy

Vettel to Merc with Hamilton
Toto helps Bottas secure a seat at Aston
Lance bites bullet for the team and becomes reserve or Perez out to Renault. Alonso bluffing and not coming back

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:55 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

Or Vettel to Mercedes.

Sacked, figuratively speaking I guess. They replaced him with Ocon, and while he suits Renault's preferred profile more, it implies they had limited confidence in Hulkenberg's abilities. Bringing him back would mean Renault would have to admit to their fault at leaving him behind, and for both sides to be still on positive terms.

I don't see that anyone would have to admit fault. They didn't think Hulkenberg was one of the best two options available for them in 2020 but that doesn't mean it can't be the case when the situation has changed in 2021, 2022 or whenever. I guess it's a bit like when Williams resigned Massa when Bottas left for Mercedes.

If Ferrari can rehire Raikkonen a couple of years after they literally paid millions of dollars for him not to race for them in 2010 then anything can happen.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:18 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

Favorite driver in my favorite team. I should be stoked but, & I may be Robinson Caruso here, I think he's made a blunder here. I'm disappointed he moved.

Renault have said for a few years now their focus is the regs change. If he wants a WC, then in my mind, Renault remains a better bet than McLaren. Yes they had a hiccup in their upward trajectory last year but they demonstrated the progress they made in the PU & they knew where they went wrong in their chassis development.

Obviously Macca are a safe bet when it comes to long term future in the sport, especially in the current climate, but the upcoming budget cap suits Renault perfectly, & they're continuing to hire quality personnel.

I still believe, possibly somewhat delusional, that Renault will be in a better position to challenge for the 2022 championship than McLaren.

On the contrary, I would suggest that McLaren are the better option at the moment. With the world heading into an economic downturn I wouldn't be counting on the car manufacturers maintaining their F1 operations. Renault also still lag behind in the engine department even after 6 years of the current engine regs, while McLaren will be getting Mercedes power from next year.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:10 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

But maybe Renault is on its way out of F1.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:23 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

Mclaren is a better option than Renault. Renault has gone backwards the last two years and never really got on top of their PU even though it's been 6 years already into these regulations. Cyril Abiteboul imo is an awful team boss. Prost does absolutely nothing at Renault. Mclaren was best of the rest even though they were using that Renault engine last year. Ricciardo is thinking there is a good chance that they will be back at the front with Mercedes power. It was the right decision. Only a Ferrari seat would have been a better choice for him.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:05 am 

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorspor ... 26e18d1f4f

Martin Brundle wrote:
Daniel has parked himself at Renault and I don't feel he's ever really looked happy there. It hasn't fitted, I don't think it's what he wanted, he took a bit of flak for it, and he would be a perfect fit for Ferrari as well I believe. I'm sure they've considered all options.

But, equally, a McLaren with a Mercedes engine for 2021, they'll make him feel loved there, they'll make him feel important, and he's still got it. He's got the speed, he's got the race craft, he's very experienced.

Has anyone heard about this? Is it locked in, or is Martin speculating?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:19 am 

Option or Prime wrote:

You'd probably get good odds on that but I wouldn't wager a lot of money. :)

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:22 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:

Hulkenberg or Renault junior Lundgaard if he has a strong season in F2.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:25 am 

Harpo wrote:
It seems lot of people here mistake "driving for a midfield team" with "being a midfield driver". It's not the drivers fault if we get 16 midfield cars every year we get lucky not to get 18 of them...
Do you really think Ricciardo would be considered as a top driver if he hadn't been driving for Red Bull, and had only few years of his Renault stint to show us ?

Beating the Hulk would have him high up the driver rankings.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:32 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

They don't have a junior diver with anywhere near enough licence points. Assuming we get an F2 season Lundgaard or Zhao would have to finish 1st or 2nd in the championship.

Lundgaard has 20 points, he just needs to finish 5th in F2 although I would think that Renault would prefer him to finish in the top 3, I suppose it also depends on circumstance like bad luck, he had plenty of that in F3 last year.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:33 am 

JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

You have to think that at what point are they going to promote Russell?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:35 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Or Vettel to Mercedes.

Surely Russell can't wait that long?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:37 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Or Vettel to Mercedes.

No they offered the Hulk a 1 year contract but he turned it down because he wanted a longer contract.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:01 am 

The Alonso to Renault rumours are heating up. If we lose Vettel but gain Alonso I'm sure even at this stage it's a significant upgrade to the grid. Then if all our dreams come true, Renault and McLaren do the business for 2022 and we have some ridiculous battle royale between Lewis, Max, Fernando, Charles and Dan. Yeyeh OK it's HIGHLY unlikely, but a man can dream.

Or if Vettel can be retained in F1 with Mercedes partnering Hamilton - even better.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:31 am 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

Or Vettel to Mercedes.

No they offered the Hulk a 1 year contract but he turned it down because he wanted a longer contract.

This doesn't contradict what I said lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:55 am 

Charles LeBrad wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/world-reacts-to-daniel-ricciardo-and-carlos-sainz-moves-in-massive-week/news-story/a868bc682e1d66640f334f26e18d1f4f

Martin Brundle wrote:
Daniel has parked himself at Renault and I don't feel he's ever really looked happy there. It hasn't fitted, I don't think it's what he wanted, he took a bit of flak for it, and he would be a perfect fit for Ferrari as well I believe. I'm sure they've considered all options.

But, equally, a McLaren with a Mercedes engine for 2021, they'll make him feel loved there, they'll make him feel important, and he's still got it. He's got the speed, he's got the race craft, he's very experienced.

Has anyone heard about this? Is it locked in, or is Martin speculating?

McLaren having Mercedes engines was announced last season: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.form ... wvNDa.html

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:15 am 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Or Vettel to Mercedes.

I anticipate if we do indeed have Vettel and Hamilton at Mercedes, it wouldn't last very long. Russell can perhaps upgrade to Racing Point in the meantime. But let's face it, up to now, he hasn't had any experience racing wheel to wheel in F1, apart from a few battles with Kubica.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:54 am 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

Or Vettel to Mercedes.

I anticipate if we do indeed have Vettel and Hamilton at Mercedes, it wouldn't last very long. Russell can perhaps upgrade to Racing Point in the meantime. But let's face it, up to now, he hasn't had any experience racing wheel to wheel in F1, apart from a few battles with Kubica.

I’ll be amazed if Vettel ends up at Mercedes. At this point I’ll be surprised if Vettel doesn’t retire.

Racing Point - are they going to drop Stroll? Pérez has a three year contract I believe so they could be set for the next few years.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:27 am 

Not sure how legit this site is but they do reference Bild & Marca in the article.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/59558/-liberty-media-wants-to-help-renault-bring-in-alonso-by-paying-part-of-its-salary-.html

If true then looks like Freddy might actually come back.

Understand having him back will generate favorable publicity for the sport & put bums on seats but not sure if Liberty should be involving themselves in driver negotiations from a financial assistance point of view. Especially when the team they want to help is owned by one of the worlds largest car manufacturers who just paid one of their drivers $20m plus last year.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 360 trophies available, 26 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:12 pm 

I still wouldn't rule out Vettel returning to Red Bull. If Albon fails to deliver, then Red Bull are facing the decision to replace him anyway, and if the only other options are to bring back Gasly or Kvyat, then surely they must at least consider Vettel?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:19 pm 

froze wrote:
I still wouldn't rule out Vettel returning to Red Bull. If Albon fails to deliver, then Red Bull are facing the decision to replace him anyway, and if the only other options are to bring back Gasly or Kvyat, then surely they must at least consider Vettel?

I would be very surprised if he goes back to Red Bull as a driver. He is in a good position to know Red Bull is a one driver team. There never has been enough place in the team bosses' minds for 2 darlings, and the current one is Verstappen.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:49 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Not sure how legit this site is but they do reference Bild & Marca in the article.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/59558/-liberty-media-wants-to-help-renault-bring-in-alonso-by-paying-part-of-its-salary-.html

If true then looks like Freddy might actually come back.

Understand having him back will generate favorable publicity for the sport & put bums on seats but not sure if Liberty should be involving themselves in driver negotiations from a financial assistance point of view. Especially when the team they want to help is owned by one of the worlds largest car manufacturers who just paid one of their drivers $20m plus last year.

That's a horrendous precendent they'd be setting. I wonder what might then happen if Mercedes "can't afford" to renew Lewis Hamilton's contract?

Plus, what happens if Alonso then wins the championship? The winning team will have won as a result of receiving direct financial assistance from the sport's owners. The integrity of the competition doesn't need to be dragged down any further than it already has.