Silly Season 2021

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
UnlikeUday

Re: Silly Season 2021

Post by UnlikeUday »

If Checo & Vettel could be together as a lineup, it would a powerful lineup.
Feel The Fourth

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Harpo wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Harpo wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:Vettel signing would be a huge statement of intent from Aston Martin. It would be very odd to do that and then have Lance Stroll in the other car, so they have to keep Perez IMO.
The Stroll who qualified just behind Perez and finished right behind Perez ? He could be too tough for Vettel, except if they turn Racing Point into a one driver team*, Red Bull style... :-P
He only finished just behind Perez because of Perez busted his front wing - 1. Stroll's race pace is nowhere near as strong as that of his teammate, and the gap between them is even more obvious in a stronger car.

If Aston Martin have ambitions to be at the front of the field within the decade, they will need a more competent second driver - 2.
1- And Stroll didn't...
2- Agreed... Which is ruling out hiring Vettel.
I see your using the tortoise and hare scenario, I'm not sure that works in F1?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:If Checo & Vettel could be together as a lineup, it would a powerful lineup.
You have to wonder how much money Lawrence is prepared to continue to spend on his son, to keep Lance for Perez is a poor business venture when you factor in the lost revenue from Perez and reduced WCC points.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Jenson's Understeer

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:If Checo & Vettel could be together as a lineup, it would a powerful lineup.
You have to wonder how much money Lawrence is prepared to continue to spend on his son, to keep Lance for Perez is a poor business venture when you factor in the lost revenue from Perez and reduced WCC points.
As Lawrence is obviously not about to stop supporting his son's F1 career, the best solution here would be to keep Perez alongside Vettel, then use the money that Perez brings to pay Haas to take Lance for a season. Aston Martin get the best possible line-up, Stroll remains on the grid, and Haas benefit from it all financially.

It won't happen but it would be the best solution.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

Jenson's Understeer

Williams are retaining George Russell (contracted until the end of '21) and Latifi (believed to have a contract to the end of '22) for next season.
2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

BMWSauber84 wrote:
The point is that Perez is a lot stronger than daddy's little soldier. The second half of last season was a trouncing, I have no doubt that this season will also be.
pokerman wrote:
Stroll is certainly not exceptional, but far from being ridiculous.
My point is that Perez is a lot stronger than Red Bull's deflated wonder.
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Harpo wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
The point is that Perez is a lot stronger than daddy's little soldier. The second half of last season was a trouncing, I have no doubt that this season will also be.
pokerman wrote:
I personally don't think that Perez is quicker than Vettel. Seb would certainly outqualify him on a regular basis as teammates.

There have been worse than Stroll, but it would be very difficult to make a case for him being any better than the 18th quickest driver on the grid.

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Harpo wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I personally don't think that Perez is quicker than Vettel. Seb would certainly outqualify him on a regular basis as teammates.

There have been worse than Stroll, but it would be very difficult to make a case for him being any better than the 18th quickest driver on the grid.
May be, but what matters is not being in front on saturday afternoon, even on a regular basis, but on sunday afternoon...
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Teams with both drivers confirmed for next season: Ferrari, McLaren, Renault and Williams. I think we can also add Mercedes to that list as it's probably just a matter of when Hamilton and Bottas will be announced.

That leaves Red Bull, Racing Point/Aston Martin, Alpha Tauri, Alfa Romeo and Haas.

Red Bull will obviously keep Verstappen. Racing Point will likely keep Stroll but the rest could be up for grabs. I think Haas will keep at least one of Grosjean and Magnussen but not necessarily both and I'm not sure which one they'd keep.

Ferrari have a few juniors in F2 who could potentially make the jump (super license points permitting) to Alfa as I can see Kimi retiring and them seeing Giovinazzi as not good enough.

Red Bull/Alpha Tauri - I think the Red Bull seat rests on how Albon does. If Red Bull decide he isn't good enough then they probably need to go outside of the Red Bull family to get a new driver as surely there is no way Gasly/Kvyat get a second chance at this point. Vettel would make sense, or Perez if Vettel ends up at Racing Point. I don't know about the Red Bull juniors in F2 but I think Gasly/Kvyat are vulnerable if anyone makes an impression.

Thoughts?

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

JN23 wrote:Red Bull/Alpha Tauri - I think the Red Bull seat rests on how Albon does. If Red Bull decide he isn't good enough then they probably need to go outside of the Red Bull family to get a new driver as surely there is no way Gasly/Kvyat get a second chance at this point. Vettel would make sense, or Perez if Vettel ends up at Racing Point. I don't know about the Red Bull juniors in F2 but I think Gasly/Kvyat are vulnerable if anyone makes an impression.
Of the Red Bull juniors in F2, Yuki Tsunoda is looking decent so far -- he has a podium from the first four races, and had the pace for a win (feature race) without a radio problem that had him staying out too long.

I can't see Red Bull keeping both Gasly and Kvyat at Alpha Tauri beyond the end of this season. Neither of them is getting back in that top seat, meaning that keeping both is pointless. They only need one to benchmark the next newbie.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 16 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Harpo wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Harpo wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

May be, but what matters is not being in front on saturday afternoon, even on a regular basis, but on sunday afternoon...
Which would still be Vettel.

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Harpo wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Harpo wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Which would still be Vettel.
As you may have guessed, I won't bet on this... :-P

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Harpo wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
That's an opinion I can't agree with.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

JN23 wrote:Teams with both drivers confirmed for next season: Ferrari, McLaren, Renault and Williams. I think we can also add Mercedes to that list as it's probably just a matter of when Hamilton and Bottas will be announced.

That leaves Red Bull, Racing Point/Aston Martin, Alpha Tauri, Alfa Romeo and Haas.

Red Bull will obviously keep Verstappen. Racing Point will likely keep Stroll but the rest could be up for grabs. I think Haas will keep at least one of Grosjean and Magnussen but not necessarily both and I'm not sure which one they'd keep.

Ferrari have a few juniors in F2 who could potentially make the jump (super license points permitting) to Alfa as I can see Kimi retiring and them seeing Giovinazzi as not good enough.

Red Bull/Alpha Tauri - I think the Red Bull seat rests on how Albon does. If Red Bull decide he isn't good enough then they probably need to go outside of the Red Bull family to get a new driver as surely there is no way Gasly/Kvyat get a second chance at this point. Vettel would make sense, or Perez if Vettel ends up at Racing Point. I don't know about the Red Bull juniors in F2 but I think Gasly/Kvyat are vulnerable if anyone makes an impression.

Thoughts?
Ferrari only have choice of one driver for Alfa Romeo.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
JN23 wrote:Red Bull/Alpha Tauri - I think the Red Bull seat rests on how Albon does. If Red Bull decide he isn't good enough then they probably need to go outside of the Red Bull family to get a new driver as surely there is no way Gasly/Kvyat get a second chance at this point. Vettel would make sense, or Perez if Vettel ends up at Racing Point. I don't know about the Red Bull juniors in F2 but I think Gasly/Kvyat are vulnerable if anyone makes an impression.
Of the Red Bull juniors in F2, Yuki Tsunoda is looking decent so far -- he has a podium from the first four races, and had the pace for a win (feature race) without a radio problem that had him staying out too long.

I can't see Red Bull keeping both Gasly and Kvyat at Alpha Tauri beyond the end of this season. Neither of them is getting back in that top seat, meaning that keeping both is pointless. They only need one to benchmark the next newbie.
I think Kvyat will get dropped if any of juniors can get the necessary license points.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

JN23 wrote:Teams with both drivers confirmed for next season: Ferrari, McLaren, Renault and Williams. I think we can also add Mercedes to that list as it's probably just a matter of when Hamilton and Bottas will be announced.

Thoughts?
That Redbull second seat is going to be extremely hard to fill if they actually want someone to drive near Max's level. I still believe that Redbull is so focused on Max that they have seemingly geared their whole car philosophy around his driving style and that is making it impossible for other drivers to perform at their potential. Apparently this is what Ricciardo foresaw and why he left. Have a listen to the latest Missed Apex podcast if you are interested in hearing some more thoughts about it.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

pokerman wrote:

Thoughts?
Ferrari only have choice of one driver for Alfa Romeo.
Yep I know, not sure there are plenty of options about though.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

It wouldn't surprise me if Red Bull change both drivers at Alpha Tauri. Especially if Lawson, Vips or Tsunoda get enough licence points. I wouldn't even rule them out of bringing someone back like they did with Hartley or Albon and bring Dan Ticktum back in.

Another thought... Could Red Bull entice Colton Herta across the pond? If he finishes in the top three of the Indycar series then I think he will have enough points.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

mikeyg123 wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Red Bull change both drivers at Alpha Tauri. Especially if Lawson, Vips or Tsunoda get enough licence points. I wouldn't even rule them out of bringing someone back like they did with Hartley or Albon and bring Dan Ticktum back in.

Another thought... Could Red Bull entice Colton Herta across the pond? If he finishes in the top three of the Indycar series then I think he will have enough points.
Where is Vips racing this season? I was kind of expecting to see him turn up in F2, but apparently not.

As for Herta, I think he'd be a decent shout -- but I don't know how they'd entice him into an Alpha Tauri. If they offer him Albon's seat directly, I expect he'd take it.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 16 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Red Bull change both drivers at Alpha Tauri. Especially if Lawson, Vips or Tsunoda get enough licence points. I wouldn't even rule them out of bringing someone back like they did with Hartley or Albon and bring Dan Ticktum back in.

Where is Vips racing this season? I was kind of expecting to see him turn up in F2, but apparently not.

As for Herta, I think he'd be a decent shout -- but I don't know how they'd entice him into an Alpha Tauri. If they offer him Albon's seat directly, I expect he'd take it.
Vips was going to do Super Formula. Now he's going to do F3 Regional to try and get enough points.

j man

Post by j man »

Robert Shwartzman is looking very impressive in F2. Not just in terms of speed, but he's also showing real calmness and maturity in the car. Surely he'll be in the Alfa Romeo next year?

Jenson's Understeer

j man wrote:Robert Shwartzman is looking very impressive in F2. Not just in terms of speed, but he's also showing real calmness and maturity in the car. Surely he'll be in the Alfa Romeo next year?
It's definitely looking that way, although still a long way to go.

What would be interesting is who takes the other seat. At his age, surely Kimi isn't going to do another year of trailing around struggling to get out of Q1. If Shwartzman takes the seat Ferrari get to dictate then that means Giovinazzi is getting replaced, unless Alfa simply slide him into Kimi's seat. But would they want to run two Ferrari junior drivers? Alternatively, Perez could be available, and has a history with the team, something he doesn't have with Haas. He would also represent a really good yardstick for Shwartzman, which has to make him appealing not just to Alfa but to Ferrari as well. But is he going to want to continue in F1, let alone go to a team not even getting out of Q1?

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Racing Point have said that the Perez release clause by 31st July was incorrect: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15096 ... ntract/amp

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Hypothetically who would Ferrari choose for the Alfa seat if.... Callum Ilott wins the F2 championship, Robert Shwartzman finishes 2nd and Mick Schumacher finishes 3rd?

JN23

Post by JN23 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:30 am
Hypothetically who would Ferrari choose for the Alfa seat if.... Callum Ilott wins the F2 championship, Robert Shwartzman finishes 2nd and Mick Schumacher finishes 3rd?
Could Alfa take two of them?

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Well, Ilott ruins its chances all by himself - despite more experience. And Shwartzman definitely looks quicker than Schumacher.

But: someone should pick up Lundgaard!

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

JN23 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:56 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
Ferrari only get one seat for a driver of their choice. Of course if Alfa wants to take a pair then they can.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:58 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
Well, Ilott ruins its chances all by himself - despite more experience. And Shwartzman definitely looks quicker than Schumacher.

Ilott is still well in the championship fight.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

The one downside of Alonso going to Renault means that Lundgaard/Zhou aren’t going to get a Renault seat next year, and as Renault have no engine customers they can’t be placed anywhere like Ferrari/Merc/RB can.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Ferrari only get one seat for a driver of their choice. Of course if Alfa wants to take a pair then they can.
I’m just thinking who could Alfa get if they went with one Ferrari junior (should be Shwartzman imo based on what we’ve seen so far) and one other. Perez and Hulk and probably the obvious one’s but not sure if either of them would be interested.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Yeah, Perez or Hulk would probably be it. They could possibly pick up an AT or Haas driver depending on movements elsewhere. Kimi might even want to stay. I think Shwartzman has been slightly flattered by circumstance so far. His major competitors have all had weekends go badly wrong due to misfortune or driving errors. He hasn't really had that yet. He's only a few points up on Ilott and without Schumacher's spin in the first Austrian race he'd be right up there as well.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

JN23 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 am
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

The one downside of Alonso going to Renault means that Lundgaard/Zhou aren’t going to get a Renault seat next year, and as Renault have no engine customers they can’t be placed anywhere like Ferrari/Merc/RB can.
Renault also have Piastri as well who is winning F3 and has looked the best driver in the series IMO. If I was Markko I'd be trying to tempt at least one of those three to jump ship.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

That being said Red Bull do have Lawson who is the only driver in F3 who can consistently compete with the Prema's.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:59 am
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Ilott is still well in the championship fight.
Yes, absolutely. And given that he has more than a full F2 season as well as 4 seasons on F3 level under his belt (without being very successful) , he really shouldn't make that many mistakes. He has been fast but very error-prone and inconsistent throughout his career. No progress here.

More inexperienced drivers look much more promising, like Shwartzman or Lundgaard.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

JN23 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Exactly!

Red Bull - step in!
:-)

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

JN23 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:07 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I’m just thinking who could Alfa get if they went with one Ferrari junior (should be Shwartzman imo based on what we’ve seen so far) and one other. Perez and Hulk and probably the obvious one’s but not sure if either of them would be interested.
My guess for Sauber-Alfa is: it will be Shwartzman for the talent and Schumacher for the publicity.

;)

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:11 pm
JN23 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Exactly!

Red Bull - step in!
:-)
Yeah Mikey said the same, definitely seems like a good opportunity for Red Bull.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mick Schumacher has a lot of peddling to do to finish 3rd, but that being the case I think they pick Schumacher.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

It looks like the Lawrence Stroll/Vettel elbow bump as they passed one another in the F1 paddock last weekend has confirmed Vettel signing with Aston Martin.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

pokerman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:22 pm
It looks like the Lawrence Stroll/Vettel elbow bump as they passed one another in the F1 paddock last weekend has confirmed Vettel signing with Aston Martin.
The post COVID-19 version of a "Hand shake deal" perhaps?

The "Elbow bump deal".
Races since last non RB, Merc, Ferrari winner (After Britain - 20) - 142 & counting.( Last win, Lotus, 17/3/13)

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 372 trophies available, 27 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)