Silly Season 2021

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Jenson's Understeer

Re: Silly Season 2021

Post by Jenson's Understeer »

pc27b wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:50 am
i'm reading that mazepin sr has sniffed around a few teams in the past as a potential buyer.
wouldn't seem a stretch that haas could announce a co-owner, or sell the entire operation.
I wouldn't be entirely shocked if, a couple of seasons from now, we have Haas run by the Mazepins, Aston Martin run by the Strolls, and Williams run by the Latifis.
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x5, 3rd x8
'20: 12th | '19: 11th | '18: 5th | '17: 6th | '16: 8th | '15: 2nd | '14: 15th | '13: 17th | '12: 11th

Zazu

Post by Zazu »

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:25 pm
pc27b wrote:
i'm reading that mazepin sr has sniffed around a few teams in the past as a potential buyer.
wouldn't seem a stretch that haas could announce a co-owner, or sell the entire operation.
I wouldn't be entirely shocked if, a couple of seasons from now, we have Haas run by the Mazepins, Aston Martin run by the Strolls, and Williams run by the Latifis.

WEC has already headed in that direction where only a couple of manufacturers are interested, then privateers and AMs fill the grid. In last race there were only 3 manufactures and 6 cars in GTE pro, with 10 drivers in GTE AM

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:25 pm
pc27b wrote:
good point. also, at some time in the near future will Mateschitz, or the red bull board of directors tire of owning two F1 teams ?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Supposedly, Perez has called for a press conference on Monday. Typically, a driver during such an event, either announces retirement/when leaving a team or joining a new team!

If for the latter, don't know if it's some big announcement (as in joining RB). Wouldn't the team be the first to announce such a news?

Have there been instances where the driver has announced he's joining a new team & not the other way round?
Feel The Fourth

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Crofty has just said he’s been assured the press conference isn’t to announce anything, but mainly for the Mexican media to talk about his recent good performances. Although Crofty has been invited himself.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Albon being signed as a brand ambassador for 1 of the charities initiated by Red Bull & Checo calling for a press conference tomorrow may not be a coincidence after all!

I don't see Checo announcing a confirmed RB drive, atleast not before RB were to announce it. It seems either he'll announce a sabbatical or retirement. Strange thing is he already has mentioned in interviews he may take a sabbatical if no RB drive. So why the need for a press conference just to specify this yet again?
Feel The Fourth

JN23

Post by JN23 »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:20 am
Albon being signed as a brand ambassador for 1 of the charities initiated by Red Bull & Checo calling for a press conference tomorrow may not be a coincidence after all!

I don't see Checo announcing a confirmed RB drive, atleast not before RB were to announce it. It seems either he'll announce a sabbatical or retirement. Strange thing is he already has mentioned in interviews he may take a sabbatical if no RB drive. So why the need for a press conference just to specify this yet again?
Because if Crofty’s info is right, it’s not to do with next year ;)

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:34 am
Supposedly, Perez has called for a press conference on Monday. Typically, a driver during such an event, either announces retirement/when leaving a team or joining a new team!

If for the latter, don't know if it's some big announcement (as in joining RB). Wouldn't the team be the first to announce such a news?

Have there been instances where the driver has announced he's joining a new team & not the other way round?
Well if it's true that the Verstappens are blocking the move then I expect him to announce his sabbatical.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:20 am

Drumming up extra sponsorship to entice Red Bull perhaps?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

This pic may not be relevant but could be....

Source - Imgur

Today, Checo is having a press conference after another strong & feisty drive where he was entitled to a back to back podium till engine failure.

But in an interview, I was surprised seeing how Verstappen kind of trashed Albon inspite of he finishing on podium. Verstappen did on the other hand, praise Checo & felt sorry for him too. Here is what he said:

“You can fill that out for yourself, but I don't think that if you drive 30 or 40 seconds behind your teammate, that's very good. I can just be honest about that, right? It was a shame for Checo [Perez] too, because I think he drove a very strong race. It's nice for Alex that he is on the podium,"
Feel The Fourth

Spenjie

Post by Spenjie »

Given how good Perez is with his tyres maybe in a Red Bull he might have been able to make an alternative strategy work to unsettle Lewis, maybe do a stop less and back Lewis up and put him in a fight with Max? Something that Alex said he wanted to do this weekend and again couldn't. I think the longer the wait goes on for them to make a decision it goes in Perez's favour, because if they really wanted to keep Alex they would have done it by now.

But who knows, don't forget Otmar once said about Vettel "Vettel was never in our plans, Checo is staying..."

JN23

Post by JN23 »

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

It was expected but Illott deserved it more or even Shwartzman.
Feel The Fourth

JN23

Post by JN23 »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:16 am
Agree on Illot but Sheartzman will benefit from another F2 season.

Mazepin is third in F2 to be fair to him.

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Illot is second and Mazepin third. They both won 2 races. It's not like there is much between them. He may not be a Leclerc but Illot neither (and same can be said of Schumacher Junior). Most of the F1 grids from the beginning were filled with solid and very good drivers. Most of the WDC belong to this category. The exceptional ones are just that : exceptions.

And Hass needs money.
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Harpo wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 am
UnlikeUday wrote:
Illot is second and Mazepin third. They both won 2 races. It's not like there is much between them. He may not be a Leclerc but Illot neither (and same can be said of Schumacher Junior). Most of the F1 grids from the beginning were filled with solid and very good drivers. Most of the WDC belong to this category. The exceptional ones are just that : exceptions.

And Hass needs money.
?
... and now look into how Mazepin won his races. Waste of a seat.

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:55 am
Harpo wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

And Hass needs money.
?
An history of motor racing could be written and titled "Wasted Seats"...
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Harpo wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:08 am
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Harpo wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

And Hass needs money.
?
5 years ago Lando Norris would have come from easily the richest family of any driver.

Next year there will be 4 drivers on the grid that come from families with wealth at least double that of Norris'. Please don't pretend that the sport isn't going through a huge, and very concerning change.

This is not normal. Not even for F1.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:31 am
Harpo wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Harpo wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

And Hass needs money.
?
5 years ago Lando Norris would have come from easily the richest family of any driver.

Next year there will be 4 drivers on the grid that come from families with wealth at least double that of Norris'. Please don't pretend that the sport isn't going through a huge, and very concerning change.

:thumbup:

And this while FIA has given up aiming for a 24-26 car grid and locked in the 20 car size for the foreseeable future (less drives available).

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Yes they actively want to keep numbers down.

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:31 am
Harpo wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Harpo wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

And Hass needs money.
?

I won't ask you to read all my posts since I registered (anyway most of them vanished in 2009...) but if you want to single out only one person on this forum who has been constantly complaining about the evolution of F1 from expensive sport to worldwide racket show-business, I'm the one deserving it...
So yes, it's normal : that's what F1 has become.
Last edited by Harpo on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Schumacher gets the other seat, tbf I don't think Shwartzman has done enough, Ilott has just confirmed that he's known for 2 weeks that he's not getting the drive so with both Mazepin and Schumacher unfortunately it becomes more important about who their Fathers are, it's becoming a worrying trend in F1 that this is taking precedence over who are actually the better drivers.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Apparently, Checo has been offered a reserve driver role for '21 by Ferrari. He's not sure of taking this as next year 23 races, a long calendar but without racing & being away from family is putting him off from this offer but still not decided.

He also said he has good offers to return in '22. So he wouldn't mind a sabbatical if RB be the typical hypocrites & snub him!
Feel The Fourth

JN23

Post by JN23 »

https://twitter.com/haasf1team/status/1 ... 99393?s=24

Safe to say Haas’ driver announcements have been overshadowed in the last two days.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

JN23 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:44 am

Safe to say Haas’ driver announcements have been overshadowed in the last two days.
Read this this morning, not the ideal entry to F1, but good luck to him!

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

Siao7 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:47 am
JN23 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:44 am

Read this this morning, not the ideal entry to F1, but good luck to him!
Don't know what Haas will do with these 2 drivers. One is here for the headlines his name should bring, the other for his money. Williams should climb one step up the ranking.
Once Hamilton's contract is not renewed because of the cheaper Russell's tremendous result next week end, will Perez and his sonsor get a seat at Williams... :-P

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

With Russell taking Hamilton's seat for the last two races with no contract agreed between Hamilton and Mercedes, is it possible that Hamilton will be stranded without a drive for 2021 if Russell outperforms Bottas in both races?

Mercedes might just tell Hamilton that his salary demands are too high and he may be forced into a year out if he can't come to a compromise.

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:38 am
With Russell taking Hamilton's seat for the last two races with no contract agreed between Hamilton and Mercedes, is it possible that Hamilton will be stranded without a drive for 2021 if Russell outperforms Bottas in both races?

Mercedes might just tell Hamilton that his salary demands are too high and he may be forced into a year out if he can't come to a compromise.
Despite the second part of my post above yours, that was tongue in cheek, before being carried away, may be we should wait till Russell completes a race in a Mercedes.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Harpo wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:58 am
F1Tyrant wrote:

Despite the second part of my post above yours, that was tongue in cheek, before being carried away, may be we should wait till Russell completes a race in a Mercedes.
I guess it is a possibility. But Salo didn't kick MS out of his seat, I don't expect the same now either

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

Siao7 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:48 am
Harpo wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

I guess it is a possibility. But Salo didn't kick MS out of his seat, I don't expect the same now either
Well MS, he had a contract for the following year...

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Harpo wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 am
Siao7 wrote:
Harpo wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

Well MS, he had a contract for the following year...
Very true!

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

Siao7 wrote:
I think to so unceremoniously evict Hamilton from the seat has absolutely no upside for Mercedes. Hamilton would consider it a deep betrayal and probably never work as a brand ambassador for them despite powering him for his entire career. They would also miss out on setting some driver records that will likely stand for a couple of decades at least.

It's the kind of move that Williams did throughout the 80s and 90s and it didn't end well for them in the end (although other factors played a much more important role).

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

F1Tyrant wrote:

Has it been confirmed that Hamilton will not race in Abu Dhabi, he only needs 10 days of isolation after which surely it would need another positive test to exclude him.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

JN23

Post by JN23 »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:11 pm
F1Tyrant wrote:

Has it been confirmed that Hamilton will not race in Abu Dhabi, he only needs 10 days of isolation after which surely it would need another positive test to exclude him.
No it hasn’t been confirmed, just speculation from people.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

JN23 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:16 pm
pokerman wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:11 pm
F1Tyrant wrote:

No it hasn’t been confirmed, just speculation from people.
Fair enough, it's confusing when speculation is seemingly written as a fact.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:22 pm
Fair enough, it's confusing when speculation is seemingly written as a fact.
Its reasonably likely he will return another positive result. The PCR can be postitive for up to 90 days. Cristiano Ronaldo was positive for over two weeks. The evidence suggests that 14 days post-infection and you recover, you are non-infectious even if you keep testing positive.

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Next year we have Hamilton, Verstappen, Alonso, Vettel, Schumacher, Ricciardo, Raikkonen(?) all in different teams.

Has there ever been a time to have such headline names in so many different teams? Exciting times ahead for F1.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:53 pm
Siao7 wrote:
I think to so unceremoniously evict Hamilton from the seat has absolutely no upside for Mercedes. Hamilton would consider it a deep betrayal and probably never work as a brand ambassador for them despite powering him for his entire career. They would also miss out on setting some driver records that will likely stand for a couple of decades at least.

It's the kind of move that Williams did throughout the 80s and 90s and it didn't end well for them in the end (although other factors played a much more important role).
It is a hypothetical scenario that I believe you brought up first. I bet that no one really thinks that Merc would dump their star like that. Then again, Ferrari and Williams have done so in the past, so there's that

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Siao7 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:09 pm
F1Tyrant wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

It is a hypothetical scenario that I believe you brought up first. I bet that no one really thinks that Merc would dump their star like that. Then again, Ferrari and Williams have done so in the past, so there's that
If Mercedes are that ruthless (which they aren't, as far as I am concerned), I'd be more worried for Bottas' future than I would for Hamilton's.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

tootsie323 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:45 pm
Siao7 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:09 pm
F1Tyrant wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

If Mercedes are that ruthless (which they aren't, as far as I am concerned), I'd be more worried for Bottas' future than I would for Hamilton's.
Indeed the only driver being put under the microscope is Bottas and not Hamilton.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition