It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:31 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2744
Eddie Jordan: Lewis Hamilton will move to Ferrari in 2021. Mercedes will leave the sport.

https://f1-insider.com/en/formula1/form ... o-ferrari/

Thoughts?

I see that a 2021 silly season thread doesn't exist yet so why not start it with this rumour from EJ.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1940
Also this:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... c/4788938/

Can't see it being F1, as much as I'd like to see him back.

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8250
MistaVega23 wrote:
Also this:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... c/4788938/

Can't see it being F1, as much as I'd like to see him back.


He'll be 39 next year, time is not on his side I'm afraid.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:43 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8250
KingVoid wrote:
Eddie Jordan: Lewis Hamilton will move to Ferrari in 2021. Mercedes will leave the sport.

https://f1-insider.com/en/formula1/form ... o-ferrari/

Thoughts?

I see that a 2021 silly season thread doesn't exist yet so why not start it with this rumour from EJ.



That's great photoshop!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 3894
I just don't see it, as Siao said, Lewis is getting old. Plus Ferrari have their protege in Leclerc, who just beat a 4 times world champion in his first year with the team, and who is tied up in a long contract and looking like he will be very much in their future plans. I don't see how a 40 year old Hamilton fits in to that plan.

Mercedes leaving the sport is something Eddie has been pushing for a while. I suppose it will happen eventually, but in the near future I don't think so.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16949
kleefton wrote:
I just don't see it, as Siao said, Lewis is getting old. Plus Ferrari have their protege in Leclerc, who just beat a 4 times world champion in his first year with the team, and who is tied up in a long contract and looking like he will be very much in their future plans. I don't see how a 40 year old Hamilton fits in to that plan.

Mercedes leaving the sport is something Eddie has been pushing for a while. I suppose it will happen eventually, but in the near future I don't think so.


Not saying it will happen but Ferrari have lost championships as a direct result of not having Hamilton, having Lewis in a Ferrari would be a marketing dream and they have Leclerc on a four year contract meaning they could sign Hamilton in for a couple of seasons and there's really not much Leclerc can do about it.

Hamilton would only be 36 going into 2021 as well. Ias I said I'm not saying it will happen but I can see reasons why Ferrari might want it to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7739
Location: Michigan, USA
mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
I just don't see it, as Siao said, Lewis is getting old. Plus Ferrari have their protege in Leclerc, who just beat a 4 times world champion in his first year with the team, and who is tied up in a long contract and looking like he will be very much in their future plans. I don't see how a 40 year old Hamilton fits in to that plan.

Mercedes leaving the sport is something Eddie has been pushing for a while. I suppose it will happen eventually, but in the near future I don't think so.

Not saying it will happen but Ferrari have lost championships as a direct result of not having Hamilton, having Lewis in a Ferrari would be a marketing dream and they have Leclerc on a four year contract meaning they could sign Hamilton in for a couple of seasons and there's really not much Leclerc can do about it.

Hamilton would only be 36 going into 2021 as well. Ias I said I'm not saying it will happen but I can see reasons why Ferrari might want it to.

They've lost championships as a direct result of not having a top-level performer, not Hamilton specifically. I think they believe they have one now with Leclerc... although only time will tell if they're correct.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 34185
kleefton wrote:
I just don't see it, as Siao said, Lewis is getting old. Plus Ferrari have their protege in Leclerc, who just beat a 4 times world champion in his first year with the team, and who is tied up in a long contract and looking like he will be very much in their future plans. I don't see how a 40 year old Hamilton fits in to that plan.

Mercedes leaving the sport is something Eddie has been pushing for a while. I suppose it will happen eventually, but in the near future I don't think so.

Hamilton is 36 next year.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 34185
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
I just don't see it, as Siao said, Lewis is getting old. Plus Ferrari have their protege in Leclerc, who just beat a 4 times world champion in his first year with the team, and who is tied up in a long contract and looking like he will be very much in their future plans. I don't see how a 40 year old Hamilton fits in to that plan.

Mercedes leaving the sport is something Eddie has been pushing for a while. I suppose it will happen eventually, but in the near future I don't think so.

Not saying it will happen but Ferrari have lost championships as a direct result of not having Hamilton, having Lewis in a Ferrari would be a marketing dream and they have Leclerc on a four year contract meaning they could sign Hamilton in for a couple of seasons and there's really not much Leclerc can do about it.

Hamilton would only be 36 going into 2021 as well. Ias I said I'm not saying it will happen but I can see reasons why Ferrari might want it to.

They've lost championships as a direct result of not having a top-level performer, not Hamilton specifically. I think they believe they have one now with Leclerc... although only time will tell if they're correct.

Leclerc barely beat Vettel who's been getting beat by Hamilton these past few years, Leclerc's not the finished article yet.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7739
Location: Michigan, USA
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
I just don't see it, as Siao said, Lewis is getting old. Plus Ferrari have their protege in Leclerc, who just beat a 4 times world champion in his first year with the team, and who is tied up in a long contract and looking like he will be very much in their future plans. I don't see how a 40 year old Hamilton fits in to that plan.

Mercedes leaving the sport is something Eddie has been pushing for a while. I suppose it will happen eventually, but in the near future I don't think so.

Not saying it will happen but Ferrari have lost championships as a direct result of not having Hamilton, having Lewis in a Ferrari would be a marketing dream and they have Leclerc on a four year contract meaning they could sign Hamilton in for a couple of seasons and there's really not much Leclerc can do about it.

Hamilton would only be 36 going into 2021 as well. Ias I said I'm not saying it will happen but I can see reasons why Ferrari might want it to.

They've lost championships as a direct result of not having a top-level performer, not Hamilton specifically. I think they believe they have one now with Leclerc... although only time will tell if they're correct.

Leclerc barely beat Vettel who's been getting beat by Hamilton these past few years, Leclerc's not the finished article yet.

No, he's certainly not -- hence why I said that only time will tell if Ferrari is right. But bringing Hamilton in will only destabilize the team in a time when they're clearly building towards a future with Leclerc.

Last year's Ferrari wasn't good enough -- across the whole season -- to win the WDC with anyone in the cockpit. What sort of message would it send to Leclerc to bring Hamilton in to do a better job when he hasn't actually had a proper shot himself?

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:18 am 
Online

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8250
pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
I just don't see it, as Siao said, Lewis is getting old. Plus Ferrari have their protege in Leclerc, who just beat a 4 times world champion in his first year with the team, and who is tied up in a long contract and looking like he will be very much in their future plans. I don't see how a 40 year old Hamilton fits in to that plan.

Mercedes leaving the sport is something Eddie has been pushing for a while. I suppose it will happen eventually, but in the near future I don't think so.

Hamilton is 36 next year.


Correct and I was equally baffled. Until I realised that my comment was for Alonso coming back, not for Hamilton going to Ferrari. I think kleefton possibly mixed my posts


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16949
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
I just don't see it, as Siao said, Lewis is getting old. Plus Ferrari have their protege in Leclerc, who just beat a 4 times world champion in his first year with the team, and who is tied up in a long contract and looking like he will be very much in their future plans. I don't see how a 40 year old Hamilton fits in to that plan.

Mercedes leaving the sport is something Eddie has been pushing for a while. I suppose it will happen eventually, but in the near future I don't think so.

Not saying it will happen but Ferrari have lost championships as a direct result of not having Hamilton, having Lewis in a Ferrari would be a marketing dream and they have Leclerc on a four year contract meaning they could sign Hamilton in for a couple of seasons and there's really not much Leclerc can do about it.

Hamilton would only be 36 going into 2021 as well. Ias I said I'm not saying it will happen but I can see reasons why Ferrari might want it to.

They've lost championships as a direct result of not having a top-level performer, not Hamilton specifically. I think they believe they have one now with Leclerc... although only time will tell if they're correct.


Ok, but bringing in Hamilton not only gives them that sure fire absolute world class star but crucially it also robs Mercedes of him. Poaching Hamilton, even if they think he will be no better than Leclerc, gains them a few tenths on Mercedes by dint of Mercedes not having him anymore. Especially in the environment we are in now where Verstappen is also tied up long term. The best Merc could do would be Bottas/Ricciardo/Vettel or take a punt on George Russell.

I don't think Leclerc should find the signing of a proven absolute top draw driver an insult either. He's still growing and will have plenty of time in F1 after Hamilton retires and crucially he has the stability of the long term contract.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 34185
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
I just don't see it, as Siao said, Lewis is getting old. Plus Ferrari have their protege in Leclerc, who just beat a 4 times world champion in his first year with the team, and who is tied up in a long contract and looking like he will be very much in their future plans. I don't see how a 40 year old Hamilton fits in to that plan.

Mercedes leaving the sport is something Eddie has been pushing for a while. I suppose it will happen eventually, but in the near future I don't think so.

Not saying it will happen but Ferrari have lost championships as a direct result of not having Hamilton, having Lewis in a Ferrari would be a marketing dream and they have Leclerc on a four year contract meaning they could sign Hamilton in for a couple of seasons and there's really not much Leclerc can do about it.

Hamilton would only be 36 going into 2021 as well. Ias I said I'm not saying it will happen but I can see reasons why Ferrari might want it to.

They've lost championships as a direct result of not having a top-level performer, not Hamilton specifically. I think they believe they have one now with Leclerc... although only time will tell if they're correct.

Leclerc barely beat Vettel who's been getting beat by Hamilton these past few years, Leclerc's not the finished article yet.

No, he's certainly not -- hence why I said that only time will tell if Ferrari is right. But bringing Hamilton in will only destabilize the team in a time when they're clearly building towards a future with Leclerc.

Last year's Ferrari wasn't good enough -- across the whole season -- to win the WDC with anyone in the cockpit. What sort of message would it send to Leclerc to bring Hamilton in to do a better job when he hasn't actually had a proper shot himself?

That kind of reads like Hamilton winning the title for Ferrari would destabalise Ferrari because they really want Leclerc to win the title, the reality for me was that neither car or drivers were good enough to win the titles for Ferrari.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:54 pm
Posts: 1526
2021 and beyond for the top 3 teams.

Mercedes.
will stay in the sport.
They will sign hamilton to his last formula 1 contract for 1 year. Hamilton will retire at the end of 2021.
Bottas will partner hamilton. He is no threat sadly to say.
Ocon will partner russell in 2022 for long term.

Ferrari.
Leclerc is there for 4 years as you say.
Vettel will. Like hamilton, sign a 1 year extension and will retire at the end of 2021.
Schumacher will join the team in 2022.

Red bull.
Verstappen is at red bull for 3 years as already known.
The 2nd seat will be a revolving door for the next few years.


Other drivers of note.

Riccardo is in limbo. Renault may be his only option.

Saints and Norris will stick with McLaren for the forceable future.

There is not a massive amount of strength in depth in the medium term. Short term will be the status quo for the next 2-3 years. But 3-7 years does not have alot of depth in f1 and f3. With the long term. Still to be determined.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:26 am
Posts: 830
Here's another option. Not sure it's more fictitious than the 2021 line-ups.

After the third worldwide wave of coronavirus, the first 12 races of 2021 are first postponed, and then cancelled. All F1 drivers contracts are broken, and the bankrupted teams disbanded. In the meantime, the automobile industry having been severly sized down, if not collapsed, motor racing resume in 2022 as Formula Onelectric Efficiency Championship, with free-of-charge amateur drivers racing electric advanced soap boxes around empty city places.

_________________
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16949
The last time Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull hired a driver that they neither had any kind of prior relationship with or was a world champion already was Nico Rosberg back in 2010.

The days when a driver could prove themselves in the midfield before getting a crack at a top drive has long since past and I don't expect that to change in 2021. I can't see anything other than the status quo being maintained.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7739
Location: Michigan, USA
mikeyg123 wrote:
The last time Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull hired a driver that they neither had any kind of prior relationship with or was a world champion already was Nico Rosberg back in 2010.

The days when a driver could prove themselves in the midfield before getting a crack at a top drive has long since past and I don't expect that to change in 2021. I can't see anything other than the status quo being maintained.

I think you could make a case that Verstappen qualifies, since Red Bull had no connection with him before signing him up for Toro Rosso and almost immediately promoting him to the big team. They essentially signed him to the main team right out of Formula 3.

But in terms of proving yourself actually in F1, I think you're right. If you haven't built the right relationship by the time you reach the circus, you've got very little prospect of a top drive.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16949
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
The last time Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull hired a driver that they neither had any kind of prior relationship with or was a world champion already was Nico Rosberg back in 2010.

The days when a driver could prove themselves in the midfield before getting a crack at a top drive has long since past and I don't expect that to change in 2021. I can't see anything other than the status quo being maintained.

I think you could make a case that Verstappen qualifies, since Red Bull had no connection with him before signing him up for Toro Rosso and almost immediately promoting him to the big team. They essentially signed him to the main team right out of Formula 3.

But in terms of proving yourself actually in F1, I think you're right. If you haven't built the right relationship by the time you reach the circus, you've got very little prospect of a top drive.


I didn't count Verstappen because he actually came to Red Bull from STR rather than being given the top drive cold so to speak.

To be honest it's now no longer possible to even reach F1 unless you've been signed to a young driver programme or truly have an immense amount of money. F2 and even F3 is far too expensive to even comprehend for many young drivers without backing and that is now basically the only way into F1. It's a bit sad but if you aren't on a YDP by the time you're 19 and your dad isn't a billionaire you might as well concentrate on Formula E.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16949
I think Vettel will stay at Ferrari but if not, with no junior drivers ready, who do we think will replace him? And who will replace them? Say if Ricciardo goes to Ferrari who gets the Renault drive? Or if Sainz gets it who goes to Mclaren?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7739
Location: Michigan, USA
mikeyg123 wrote:
I think Vettel will stay at Ferrari but if not, with no junior drivers ready, who do we think will replace him? And who will replace them? Say if Ricciardo goes to Ferrari who gets the Renault drive? Or if Sainz gets it who goes to Mclaren?

I think if either Sainz or Ricciardo takes Vettel's seat it would be a straight swap in all likelihood. Both Renault and McLaren are teams that Seb might feel have a chance to be contenders in the new budget cap era, and he has more than a few years left in him. He has time to try a rebuild project if that's what he wants to do.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:28 pm 
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
The last time Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull hired a driver that they neither had any kind of prior relationship with or was a world champion already was Nico Rosberg back in 2010.

The days when a driver could prove themselves in the midfield before getting a crack at a top drive has long since past and I don't expect that to change in 2021. I can't see anything other than the status quo being maintained.

I think you could make a case that Verstappen qualifies, since Red Bull had no connection with him before signing him up for Toro Rosso and almost immediately promoting him to the big team. They essentially signed him to the main team right out of Formula 3.

But in terms of proving yourself actually in F1, I think you're right. If you haven't built the right relationship by the time you reach the circus, you've got very little prospect of a top drive.


I didn't count Verstappen because he actually came to Red Bull from STR rather than being given the top drive cold so to speak.

To be honest it's now no longer possible to even reach F1 unless you've been signed to a young driver programme or truly have an immense amount of money. F2 and even F3 is far too expensive to even comprehend for many young drivers without backing and that is now basically the only way into F1. It's a bit sad but if you aren't on a YDP by the time you're 19 and your dad isn't a billionaire you might as well concentrate on Formula E.

Admittedly, I'm late to this thread and haven't read the whole thing, so maybe I'm missing it. I'll backtrack through it from here to see what I've missed.
Anywho.....'just curious....if a wannabe F1 driver (quite the dream) doesn't have the resources to make it to F1 ('understood all too well...not even F1...), why, to you, is the only other option FE? There are many venues around the world in which to become a professional racing driver. I understand the difficulty/cost in making it to the big time (pro) at all, let alone F1, so why do you specify FE, which I don't imagine is a whole lot easier to break into? :)


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16949
jimclark wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
The last time Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull hired a driver that they neither had any kind of prior relationship with or was a world champion already was Nico Rosberg back in 2010.

The days when a driver could prove themselves in the midfield before getting a crack at a top drive has long since past and I don't expect that to change in 2021. I can't see anything other than the status quo being maintained.

I think you could make a case that Verstappen qualifies, since Red Bull had no connection with him before signing him up for Toro Rosso and almost immediately promoting him to the big team. They essentially signed him to the main team right out of Formula 3.

But in terms of proving yourself actually in F1, I think you're right. If you haven't built the right relationship by the time you reach the circus, you've got very little prospect of a top drive.


I didn't count Verstappen because he actually came to Red Bull from STR rather than being given the top drive cold so to speak.

To be honest it's now no longer possible to even reach F1 unless you've been signed to a young driver programme or truly have an immense amount of money. F2 and even F3 is far too expensive to even comprehend for many young drivers without backing and that is now basically the only way into F1. It's a bit sad but if you aren't on a YDP by the time you're 19 and your dad isn't a billionaire you might as well concentrate on Formula E.

Admittedly, I'm late to this thread and haven't read the whole thing, so maybe I'm missing it. I'll backtrack through it from here to see what I've missed.
Anywho.....'just curious....if a wannabe F1 driver (quite the dream) doesn't have the resources to make it to F1 ('understood all too well...not even F1...), why, to you, is the only other option FE? There are many venues around the world in which to become a professional racing driver. I understand the difficulty/cost in making it to the big time (pro) at all, let alone F1, so why do you specify FE, which I don't imagine is a whole lot easier to break into? :)


Obviously Formula E would not be the exclusive option. I just used it as an example as it's a route some have chosen in recent years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16949
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I think Vettel will stay at Ferrari but if not, with no junior drivers ready, who do we think will replace him? And who will replace them? Say if Ricciardo goes to Ferrari who gets the Renault drive? Or if Sainz gets it who goes to Mclaren?

I think if either Sainz or Ricciardo takes Vettel's seat it would be a straight swap in all likelihood. Both Renault and McLaren are teams that Seb might feel have a chance to be contenders in the new budget cap era, and he has more than a few years left in him. He has time to try a rebuild project if that's what he wants to do.


I think that's likely if it's Ferrari making the decision to get rid of Vettel. If it's Vettel choice It's possible but unlikely he would chose to leave Ferrari to go to Renault or Mclaren given that he would still be against a young hot shot either way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1663
AMUS and Bild are reporting Vettel will leave Ferrari.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -abschied/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7739
Location: Michigan, USA
mikeyg123 wrote:
jimclark wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
The last time Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull hired a driver that they neither had any kind of prior relationship with or was a world champion already was Nico Rosberg back in 2010.

The days when a driver could prove themselves in the midfield before getting a crack at a top drive has long since past and I don't expect that to change in 2021. I can't see anything other than the status quo being maintained.

I think you could make a case that Verstappen qualifies, since Red Bull had no connection with him before signing him up for Toro Rosso and almost immediately promoting him to the big team. They essentially signed him to the main team right out of Formula 3.

But in terms of proving yourself actually in F1, I think you're right. If you haven't built the right relationship by the time you reach the circus, you've got very little prospect of a top drive.


I didn't count Verstappen because he actually came to Red Bull from STR rather than being given the top drive cold so to speak.

To be honest it's now no longer possible to even reach F1 unless you've been signed to a young driver programme or truly have an immense amount of money. F2 and even F3 is far too expensive to even comprehend for many young drivers without backing and that is now basically the only way into F1. It's a bit sad but if you aren't on a YDP by the time you're 19 and your dad isn't a billionaire you might as well concentrate on Formula E.

Admittedly, I'm late to this thread and haven't read the whole thing, so maybe I'm missing it. I'll backtrack through it from here to see what I've missed.
Anywho.....'just curious....if a wannabe F1 driver (quite the dream) doesn't have the resources to make it to F1 ('understood all too well...not even F1...), why, to you, is the only other option FE? There are many venues around the world in which to become a professional racing driver. I understand the difficulty/cost in making it to the big time (pro) at all, let alone F1, so why do you specify FE, which I don't imagine is a whole lot easier to break into? :)

Obviously Formula E would not be the exclusive option. I just used it as an example as it's a route some have chosen in recent years.

I think Formula E is currently seen as the next-best option to Formula 1 in single seaters. You can drive for a true manufacturer team and earn a very high (albeit not quite F1 high) salary.

IndyCar is potentially on the same level as FE, but it's an American championship, it's still quite dangerous, and I think the salaries are much lower due to the lack of manufacturer teams.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 3894
Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I think Vettel will stay at Ferrari but if not, with no junior drivers ready, who do we think will replace him? And who will replace them? Say if Ricciardo goes to Ferrari who gets the Renault drive? Or if Sainz gets it who goes to Mclaren?

I think if either Sainz or Ricciardo takes Vettel's seat it would be a straight swap in all likelihood. Both Renault and McLaren are teams that Seb might feel have a chance to be contenders in the new budget cap era, and he has more than a few years left in him. He has time to try a rebuild project if that's what he wants to do.



Did not see the Sainz to Ferrari play. It would makes sense, then maybe Seb can go to Mclaren in that scenario.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:33 am 
Online

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8250
JN23 wrote:
AMUS and Bild are reporting Vettel will leave Ferrari.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -abschied/


F1.com is also reporting it.

So Lewis then?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 2303
I'll take a guess at...

Sainz -> Ferrari
Russell -> Merc
Bottas -> McLaren
Seb -> A lovely old castle in the Black Forest

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 600
Marko has said that Reb Bull could not financially afford to have Vettel alongside Verstappen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm
Posts: 2625
mikeyg123 wrote:
The last time Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull hired a driver that they neither had any kind of prior relationship with or was a world champion already was Nico Rosberg back in 2010.

The days when a driver could prove themselves in the midfield before getting a crack at a top drive has long since past and I don't expect that to change in 2021. I can't see anything other than the status quo being maintained.


You could argue the case that McLaren were a top team in 2013 when Perez was signed to them. I don't think he advertised the unsung drivers too well in 2013 unfortunately. Perhaps his strong desire in racing against Button has deterred manufacturer teams from looking to these strong midfield drivers again?

On the subject of Formula E, does anyone here think Vandoorne still has a shot in F1 again? I think he was very unlucky in his timing of entering the sport, racing against the Fernando Alonso in a car that could barely finish a race.

_________________
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm
Posts: 2625
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Marko has said that Reb Bull could not financially afford to have Vettel alongside Verstappen.


Hmm, he did say this:

Quote:
“That is unfortunately the case. Seb would have to come with very little money. But you can’t ask him to do that.”


Source: https://www.planetf1.com/news/sebastian-vettel-red-bull-2/

I'm not sure would Verstappen veto a return to Red Bull for Vettel, but it would be a line-up I would love to see. Unless Albon can really start to prove himself in 2020, that second Red Bull seat could be doing the team no favours in helping them win both chamnpionships.

_________________
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16949
Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
The last time Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull hired a driver that they neither had any kind of prior relationship with or was a world champion already was Nico Rosberg back in 2010.

The days when a driver could prove themselves in the midfield before getting a crack at a top drive has long since past and I don't expect that to change in 2021. I can't see anything other than the status quo being maintained.


You could argue the case that McLaren were a top team in 2013 when Perez was signed to them. I don't think he advertised the unsung drivers too well in 2013 unfortunately. Perhaps his strong desire in racing against Button has deterred manufacturer teams from looking to these strong midfield drivers again?

On the subject of Formula E, does anyone here think Vandoorne still has a shot in F1 again? I think he was very unlucky in his timing of entering the sport, racing against the Fernando Alonso in a car that could barely finish a race.


I think without backing it's very hard to get a seat in F1.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:43 pm 
Don't bother wasting your time thinking about thinking it. Just take the shortcut and know it. :)


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm
Posts: 2625
Reports coming out saying Ferrari already have a replacement for Vettel which may be announced later this week. Sainz is rumoured to be hot favourite.

To me this makes logical sense. Vettel to McLaren has been a rumour for the past year, and, if he does want to stay in F1, he is smart enough to know to only reject the Ferrari contract once another one was on the table. Therefore a pre-arranged deal between McLaren and Ferrari to swap drivers is the optimum deal.

_________________
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16949
Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Reports coming out saying Ferrari already have a replacement for Vettel which may be announced later this week. Sainz is rumoured to be hot favourite.

To me this makes logical sense. Vettel to McLaren has been a rumour for the past year, and, if he does want to stay in F1, he is smart enough to know to only reject the Ferrari contract once another one was on the table. Therefore a pre-arranged deal between McLaren and Ferrari to swap drivers is the optimum deal.


McLaren and Ferrari don't need to do a deal. Both drivers are out of contract.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 am
Posts: 1060
Location: India
KingVoid wrote:
Eddie Jordan: Lewis Hamilton will move to Ferrari in 2021. Mercedes will leave the sport.

https://f1-insider.com/en/formula1/form ... o-ferrari/

Thoughts?

I see that a 2021 silly season thread doesn't exist yet so why not start it with this rumour from EJ.


Hope Hamilton to Ferrari is true. Due to current financial crisis I think many teams are probably evaluating whether they want to commit to F1 but hopefully they will stick around

_________________
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Posts: 2316
Location: Miami, Florida
Sainz to Ferrari is going to be fully confirmed within 48 hours, Ricciardo to McLaren and Vettel is tentatively going to Renault, but Alonso is rumored to be in the mix for third stint at Renault, though I'd bet on Vettel over Alonso there.

_________________
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 600
It will be interesting to see what Renault do. If they do indeed sign Vettel, or at least make a serious attempt to, it will be a sign that they still have ambitions of being championship winners.

I'm not convinced it's the best move he could make though. But he may well be of the opinion that as a works team, they are his best remaining option.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 2303
BMWSauber84 wrote:
It will be interesting to see what Renault do. If they do indeed sign Vettel, or at least make a serious attempt to, it will be a sign that they still have ambitions of being championship winners.

I'm not convinced it's the best move he could make though. But he may well be of the opinion that as a works team, they are his best remaining option.


Why? I personally think Ric is at least as good and Ocon has the potential to give him a run for his money. Vettel for me just doesn't have that same aura of invincibility that comes with Ham, Max or Alonso.

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2021
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 322
Banana Man wrote:
I'll take a guess at...

Sainz -> Ferrari
Russell -> Merc
Bottas -> McLaren
Seb -> A lovely old castle in the Black Forest


I posted this in the Seb Ferrari thread, but I think this thread is more appropriate

Sainz > Ferrari
Ricciardo > Mclaren
Gasly > Renault
Alpha Tauri > New RB Junior

Next level prediction
Hamilton > Aston Martin - New challenge, British team, follow Toto
Vettel > Mercedes - German darling driver in THE German team


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Siao7 and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group