It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:43 pm 

pc27b wrote:
pokerman wrote:
pc27b wrote:
i believe ricciardo would exercise his "get out" clause in a heartbeat, if ferrari were to offer him a ride. clearly red bull isn't ferrari

Why does Ricciardo need to do that, he's a free agent for 2021.

i replied later, i thought he was signed through 21. but as i said, makes it even easier for him to sign with ferrari being out of contract after this season

Yeah I've not been on the site for awhile and I'm playing catch up, I would question Ferrari's desire to have two #1 drivers hence the 1 year offer to Vettel, if true?

I see that they just want Vettel around whilst Leclerc is still getting up to full speed at which point they designate signing a #2 driver, Ricciardo would be more of a like for like swap for Vettel, certainly in terms of out and out speed.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:52 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
When people understand the value of a world champion in a team folks would have a different line of thought.

Ferrari signed Kimi in '13 when they thought Alonso was leaving so as to have a World champion in the car.

I see its the same F1 does not need Ferrari crew thinking Ferrari will run the team with Leclerc leading it with a number 2.

Strange, because Ferrari replaced a 7x WDC with a 0 x WDC.

They need a WDC calibre driver in the car - one who is seen as a potential WDC, and the longer Seb goes without winning a championship - particularly after being beaten with races left to spare in 2017 and 2018 when he had a title contending car - the longer he goes the more those WDCs will be seen as Adrian Newey's and not his.

Kimi was clearly seen as WDC material in 2007, after his 2005 performance with him and Alonso seen as the two S tier drivers going into that season. Ricciardo is seen as one of the sport's top drivers, with him competing with Leclerc and Vettel for best after Hamilton and Verstappen in most people's lists.

Ricciardo would be cheaper than Vettel, and in their head to head he beat him fair and square (and he had him beaten before Seb decided he wanted to leave) - Vettel could find himself in the position where his WDCs end up being an impediment to his career than an asset. He'll always be able to find work because of him, just be overlooked for the work he would actually want.

I believe that at the time Schumacher was the only world champion on the grid apart from Alonso, who had already signed for McLaren, and he chose to retire?

I think it's common knowledge that Schumacher decided to retire off the back of Ferrari signing Kimi.

No I don't think that's entirely true, Kimi was signed in the first place because Schumacher would not commit to a new contract, he was contemplating retirement.

However I wouldn't disagree that once Kimi had been signed that forced his hand somewhat but even then it was Ferrari that announced Schumacher's retirement and not Schumacher himself, for me it seemed that LDM lost patience with the dithering of Schumacher.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:05 am 

eddie jordan is claiming hamilton to ferrari.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm 

pc27b wrote:
eddie jordan is claiming hamilton to ferrari.

That would have to be either a Mercedes funding issue or Wolff leaving Mercedes otherwise I don't believe it.