It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:03 am 

Hello everyone,

I was thinking today about how the F1 season could look like if it gets going later in the year. There are much more important health and economic factors that a restart of the season is contingent upon, which I’d imagine are impacting F1 leadership’s various ideas on how the season could run.

Even if the season can be restarted by say August, F1 is in a much more precarious position than most other sports and their competitions, due to it being an international sport with events and fans spanning the globe, not just a country like many other sports leagues. Now, I think its likely that not all countries globally (regionally too?) are going to finish off the Coronavirus at the same time, unless a vaccine can be disseminated across the globe in adequate numbers, and so stop current cases and prevent new ones from re-emerging and spreading.

Should the season not start early enough to fit in a decent number of races across the globe as per the calendar order, F1 should try to get in as many races as they can in a single region, including with events at F1-grade circuits that aren’t on the calendar.

For example, Europe is clear of Coronavirus by August (this probably won’t be the case, but who knows with complete clarity at this stage, hopefully it’s sooner), but the rest of the world is not. Perhaps then, F1 are pidgeon-holed into only racing in Europe, which could make sense in this scenario. I say Europe as that would be the best case scenario for F1; it is where the teams are based, there are plenty of circuits to choose from, and it’s a small-ish continent, so travel (and also expenses and possibly staff workloads) would be less than other continents, which would also individually have less F1-grade circuits to choose from.

Even if it takes months to prepare a circuit for a Grand Prix due to all the electronics required for the teams, FIA and Television, as well as barriers and stands and the like, if green-lighted by their governments, I think many places would jump at the chance of some work and try to get ready in say 8 weeks, if that is feasible. Race events that were already on the calendar this year go first, then race events that aren’t go afterwards to give them time and space to prepare.

Conversely, if F1 can’t get a decent number of events to fill the calendar, perhaps Ross Brawn and co could go ahead with some of their inventive race weekend ideas, like a Saturday-Sunday only race weekend (an actual weekend 8O :-P ). Another idea I heard months back was to run 2 races across an event like various touring car championships; I suppose there are issues with engine component use, tyres, fuel etc., as well as whether the races add up to the total distance of 1 longer race, or if another arbitrary distance is chosen, and what this means for the legitimacy of the season.

However, there probably won’t be a better time to test race weekend scheduling models with real-life race weekends. A condensed season with much less races than scheduled (and obviously not racing when and where scheduled as well) probably has less meaning than usual, not to mention that the regulations freeze for 2020 means teams can test and develop the cars a bit for the identical 2021 regs (and to a lesser extent 2022).

This is a unique circumstance where the international popularity and nature of F1 might work against it, but hopefully in some way, shape or form, F1 is able to get a decent chunk of racing in. Like many industries across the world, its unknown what the sport will look like if it can’t, especially concerning the number of teams and the staff.

What do you think the F1 season should/could look like if it’s able to get underway?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:33 am 

Don't think I'd do a 2020 season, instead I'd do a 2020/2021 Super-season along the lines of

1.Singapore
2. Japan
3. COTA
4. Brazil
5. Abu-Dhabi

--

6. Australia
7. Vietnam
8. China
9. Spain
10. European GP - Imola
11. Baku
12. Monaco
13. Canada
14. France
15. UK
16. Germany
17. The Netherlands
18. Austria
19. Hungary
20. Belgium
21. Monza
22. Asian GP - Malaysia
23. N.American GP - Indianapolis
24. Mexico
25. Bahrain

We get some racing this calendar year without crazily packing things in, plenty of racing next year with some one off returns for some old favorites, but that season could still conclude earlier than what's been typical of recent years to give all teams the proper time to dedicate to the 2022 cars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:53 am 

If the number of race weekends goes down to a critical number, I would let them do two races per race weekend/track. Have a short 2020 season and go back to normal in 2021.

What I don't like is the postponing of the new rules.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:03 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
If the number of race weekends goes down to a critical number, I would let them do two races per race weekend/track. Have a short 2020 season and go back to normal in 2021.

BIB - and as the OP said, 2020 is the opportunity for F1 to try out some new ideas/different weekend structures. I'm not sure I like the idea of two races per weekend but they'll do absolutely everything to get a season in so wouldn't be surprised to see two races per weekend.

If we're going to end up with some triple headers, maybe they could do two day weekends, with FP1 and FP2 on Saturday and then qualifying and race on the Sunday. Scrap FP3. Then the teams have Monday-Thursday to travel/rest and Friday to set up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:57 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

They are also going to be pretty much the exact same cars, which I know has happened in F1 of previous eras but is the antithesis of modern F1

If they are running the same cars for (realistically) the best part of 18 months then we may as well have one long 2020/2021 super-season

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:07 pm 

Chainbear did a video on this topic...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:47 am 

""What do you think the F1 season should/could look like if it’s able to get underway?""

empty or near empty stands. i think they will be lucky to get the 8 races they need to call it a season. will tracks hold races without fans/money coming in ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:51 am 

pc27b wrote:
""What do you think the F1 season should/could look like if it’s able to get underway?""

empty or near empty stands. i think they will be lucky to get the 8 races they need to call it a season. will tracks hold races without fans/money coming in ?

Binotto has said the season could run into January. I think we’ll be able to get a season in from August-January, although I am not an expert by any means.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:09 am 

I think people are dreaming with timeframes. In China there were 60 confirmed cases before Christmas, they have only only just started opening up Wuhan with heavy restrictions now. Open air travel seems a very long way away to me

Unless Liberty waiver or reduce the hosting fee cant see many tracks rescheduling with only month or so notice and November, December and January will be too cold in Europe. Looking at the current calendar Id have big reservations about Mexico and Brazil being anywhere near on top of the virus by November as well.

Id love to see a short 8 race season with no World Championship and drivers just going flat out. But in reality would probably just turn into glorified test sessions

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:09 am 

i agree, sports are finished for 2020 as far as attending. yes, f1, nfl, premier league etc all keep talking about resuming because they are businesses and hope to get the tv money

even if lockdowns end, i imagine governments would ban 70,000 people from showing up at a college football game (not that 70,000) would show up.

then you have players/coaches/assistants/drivers/television people. all sorts of people to have a sporting event, and broadcast it, even without fans in the stands. never mind the travel arrangements to get to the event.

its fun to look at some interesting ideas for an f1 weekend. i really just don't see sports returning in 2020.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:50 pm 

Open golf in July cancelled, can only mean bad news for Silverstone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:48 pm 

Boss of MotoGP saying its difficult to see races before a vaccine which isn't due til next year 8O