Please read the forum rules
UnlikeUday

Racing Point RP20 livery revealed!

Post by UnlikeUday »

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur
Last edited by UnlikeUday on Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feel The Fourth

Asphalt_World

Re: Racing Point RP20 revealed!

Post by Asphalt_World »

So, some people don't like the new Williams.

Racing Point - Hold my beer!
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

By the way, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just having fun.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Is that really Sergio Perez? :?

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

JN23 wrote:Is that really Sergio Perez? :?
I was thinking the same!

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:So, some people don't like the new Williams.

Racing Point - Hold my beer!
Yep garish would be the word. :)
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Love the pink. I wish they'd gone for blue on the nose rather than black though.

Mod Yellow

Post by Mod Yellow »

Lance Stroll seems.... rather happy to be there in that first picture ;)

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Mod Yellow wrote:Lance Stroll seems.... rather happy to be there in that first picture ;)
Because Perez has been replaced by an imposter!

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

JN23 wrote:
Mod Yellow wrote:Lance Stroll seems.... rather happy to be there in that first picture ;)
Because Perez has been replaced by an imposter!
I think they look to have both have been drawn around and cut out of something and dumped here. Something just doesn't look right. Especially with Perez. How can i put it, his face doesn't look the right shape, like it is a cut out that has been squashed out of shape almost? I'm sure it is him though, don't worry. But the scale of both of them with the car just doesn't fit somehow. Probably just all an illusion related to the light and positioning of the car and picture being taken.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

I'm really not sure that's Checo....
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

Nice livery except for the silver at the back - why couldn't they stick with the white to match the front endplates?
#KeepFightingMichael

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

MistaVega23 wrote:Nice livery except for the silver at the back - why couldn't they stick with the white to match the front endplates?
I didn't notice that... Maybe to do with the JCB sponsorship, but it's odd.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

P-F1 Mod wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:Nice livery except for the silver at the back - why couldn't they stick with the white to match the front endplates?
I didn't notice that... Maybe to do with the JCB sponsorship, but it's odd.
They just haven't repainted the Mercedes rear end they are using yet.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

I think the FIA might have something to say if they turn up at Melbourne with such an obvious Mercedes copy.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Covalent wrote:I think the FIA might have something to say if they turn up at Melbourne with such an obvious Mercedes copy.
They didn't say anything about Haas before, so they'll be fine I guess

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Siao7 wrote:
Covalent wrote:I think the FIA might have something to say if they turn up at Melbourne with such an obvious Mercedes copy.
They didn't say anything about Haas before, so they'll be fine I guess
Yes, feels like we have this conversation every year with one team or another.

Alex53

Post by Alex53 »

Wheel-base looks very long...or am I seeing things

mds

Post by mds »

Unless they got to this point by blatantly stealing technical documents (or getting them from Merc, which Merc will not risk), they'll be fine. They can copy whatever they want as long as they only get it from looking at the Merc.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

TheGiantHogweed

I'm confused here. Why does this RP20 look so different to this RP20? : https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/19/fir ... n-testing/

It is the pictures from testing that look very like last year mercedes. What are the ones on this page? Surely it can't be the same car as so many things are different.

mds

Post by mds »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:I'm confused here. Why does this RP20 look so different to this RP20? : https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/19/fir ... n-testing/

It is the pictures from testing that look very like last year mercedes. What are the ones on this page? Surely it can't be the same car as so many things are different.
Pictures above are from the "launch" - which these days are often livery launches. Meaning they show the new livery on last year's car.

TheGiantHogweed

mds wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:I'm confused here. Why does this RP20 look so different to this RP20? : https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/19/fir ... n-testing/

Pictures above are from the "launch" - which these days are often livery launches. Meaning they show the new livery on last year's car.
So basically the pictures for the RP20 are of last years car? Maybe the thread title could get reworded or the pictures updated as that would make things more clear.

mds

Post by mds »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mds wrote:

So basically the pictures for the RP20 are of last years car?
Basically, but RP didn't say the car above was indeed the RP20. They presented "their new look", not the car, and said the RP20 would be shown first day of testing.

So indeed the thread title does not correspond with the pictures.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

mds wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mds wrote:

Basically, but RP didn't say the car above was indeed the RP20. They presented "their new look", not the car, and said the RP20 would be shown first day of testing.

Taken care of it.
Feel The Fourth

TheGiantHogweed

UnlikeUday wrote:
mds wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
mds wrote:

Taken care of it.
Thanks for this.

TheGiantHogweed

Re: Racing Point RP20 livery revealed!

The pics of it that I'm seeing now though look disturbingly similar to Mercedes last year. So long as they still make many things different, even if not visible, will they get away with it?

j man

Post by j man »

Depends how it's been copied. They are not allowed to work from Mercedes designs directly, but if they've taken lots of pictures of the car from all angles and reverse engineered it via their own original drawings then I don't see how that can be outlawed. This is effectively what Racing Point themselves claim they have done, and given the amount of espionage that goes on up and down the pitlane such a scenario is entirely likely. Ultimately, for a team to show up for a new season with a car that is copied from the championship winning car from the previous season is not such a ridiculous idea.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Feel The Fourth

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

If the FIA tell RP they can't run such a blatant copy then Haas shouldn't be allowed to race the car they've run in testing either because that's an almost absolute copy of the Ferrari. Why would it be ok for one team to do this and not another?

I think they'll be fine and I look forward to seeing them do exceedingly well ih their gamble pays off.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
If the FIA tell RP they can't run such a blatant copy then Haas shouldn't be allowed to race the car they've run in testing either because that's an almost absolute copy of the Ferrari. Why would it be ok for one team to do this and not another?

I think they'll be fine and I look forward to seeing them do exceedingly well ih their gamble pays off.
:thumbup: :nod:
Mission WinLater

Altair

Post by Altair »

I was going to skip this upcoming season, having taken a welcome hiatus following the French GP last season, but I do want to see if the pink Mercedes concept future Aston Martin have taken is enough to shake things up and close the gap between 4th and 3rd place teams.

v@sh

Post by v@sh »

They should make the rule if the customers are allowed to buy the parts, then those parts should be available to everyone on the grid not just to the customer teams.

No one complains and everyone has the same opportunity to copy. It will also close the grid right up if this pink mercedes is fighting for podiums.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

Part of me's saying it's an outrage that RP have so blatantly & openly copied the design of last years Merc's. To me it kind of tells me that RP has very little faith in their design team to design a competitive car. I mean, why bother having a design dept if all they're going to do is develop straight copies of as much of a competitors car as possible. To this part of it me copying a competitors design to the magnitude RP seem to have goes against the spirit of the sport. It smacks of a design policy that's lazy, defeatist & simplistic in nature.

However..... another part of me say's if this is the one avenue available to the non manufacturer/factory teams that gives them the opportunity to compete with the big boys on a more equal playing field then I genuinely salute RP for taking this approach and hope this will be the first step to maybe do something like, along the lines of what v@sh just wrote above, introducing a regulation that somehow allows team to purchase blueprints of a competitors car from previous seasons, either in part or in full, to help close the gap between the have's & have not's.

What RP have done isn't really ground breaking though. I suppose the magnitude of the copying is but the actual act of copying others designs isn't exactly a revolutionary approach. Teams have been doing this to varying extents for years & to take the whole copying thing to it's obvious conclusion, even into the late 70's, & maybe into the 80's, a cashed up person could hire a driver & a small team of mechanics, then walk up to Ferrari, Brabham, March, Lotus etc, buy an entire, race ready car, put their brand on it & go racing at the next GP.

Also, as I haven't yet commented on the RP livery in the RP livery thread, I shall give my opinion now.

It's ugly
Only took 7 yrs, 5 mths & 21 days.

Cooper, Arrows, Brabham, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrrell, Minardi, McLaren, Sauber, Williams,

Remember the garagista's. The heart & soul of F1. They raced to race.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)