If Red Bull dominate this season....

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
cmax

If Red Bull dominate this season....

Post by cmax »

...What hope is there for other teams in the few years to come?

It looks like in F1 if you have consistent driver and a very fast car, then your chances of winning the title is almost guaranteed. Knowing that Red Bull have both of these, and with the master designer stating he is not going any where http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16929993, is there any hope for the other teams or drivers?

linkinstreet

Re: If Red Bull dominate this season....

Post by linkinstreet »

What are the guarantee that other team won't make a fast car and pair it with a fast driver themselves? Heck with the new rules coming in for 2014 we might see Red Bull and the other traditional teams caught out and the championship is won by Caterham. Who knows

WTkFox

Post by WTkFox »

linkinstreet wrote:What are the guarantee that other team won't make a fast car and pair it with a fast driver themselves? Heck with the new rules coming in for 2014 we might see Red Bull and the other traditional teams caught out and the championship is won by Caterham. Who knows

Or Alonso getting the message "Massa is faster than you, do you understand?" :lol:

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

cmax wrote:...What hope is there for other teams in the few years to come?

It looks like in F1 if you have consistent driver and a very fast car, then your chances of winning the title is almost guaranteed. Knowing that Red Bull have both of these, and with the master designer stating he is not going any where http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16929993, is there any hope for the other teams or drivers?

There's always hope. In Formula One, (and basically in all classes of racing) the competitive juices drive everyone to continually improve, to raise the bar, to keep going on. Just because one team has a superlative designer, a very competent team, and a few quality drivers, that doesn't mean you can't too.

Nothing lasts forever in racing, no one team or driver wins everything in sight for their entire career. Even the most successful driver of all, Michael Schumacher, has been in Formula One since 1991, but has only 7 titles for his 22 years in this sport. Note, I use the word "only" in reference to the numbers, because without a doubt his record is something all drivers aspire to. I certainly respect his record and achievements.

But this is a year of evolution, the rule changes aren't great, and teams can build on last year's car. That's one reason why Ferrari and Schumacher enjoyed their dominance a decade ago. It's also one reason why the Red Bull is so powerful. This year's RB8 is built on the RB7, and that was derived from the RB6, and that was evolved from the RB5, which gave Button a run for his money during the last half of 2009. It's when the rules receive a major overhaul when the pecking order can turn upside down. And 2013 is going to be one of those years, massive changes are coming along.

Nothing is ever hopeless in racing, you just have to be a little smarter, cut down on any mistakes, work a lot harder, and maybe have a little luck to catch up to the leader.

Zekenwolf

Post by Zekenwolf »

Red Bull is NOT the fastest car per se but its cornering ability gives it good lap times and Vettel's driving is secured the poles in 2011. It only takes a slight change in the regs to reduce that advantage and moreover, some other team might come-up with a better car. Newey is not a magician.
Vettel / Raikkonen / Button

Johnston

Post by Johnston »

Zekenwolf wrote: Newey is not a magician.

This.

He's designed his doozeys in his time. Nothing to guarantee he won't design another one.
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

lonix2011

Post by lonix2011 »

cmax wrote:...What hope is there for other teams in the few years to come?

I get the feeling they wont dominate like last season, Mclaren had a very bad start and only Ferrari was the other team that could touch RBR.

The second half of the season things changed, Ferrari got closer to Mclaren and Mclaren got closer to RBR. I get the feeling things will be a touch bit closer and Vettel wont dominate so easily especially on Qualifying. That was RBRs strength - their Quali performance was some times .5 ahead some times worse. Yet in the race the gap wasnt as big.

Time will tell.

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

1997 Williams
1998 Mclaren
2004 Ferrari
2008 Ferrari/Mclaren

These were all by far the best cars on the grid at the time, but failed to win WCC the following season. There is always hope.
I remember when this website was all fields.

j man

Post by j man »

I think the OP is overreacting a little. If you look back over the years, you never get one team dominating for more than a few years at a time. It all comes in cycles; Red Bull have been well and truly on top for the past 2 years but I can't see this lasting in the long term. The others will catch up, possibly even this year, and then another team will be on top for a few years.

POBRatings

Post by POBRatings »

Red Bull and Newey have some way to go to equal the Williams-Renault car-technical record of superiority/dominance from 1991 to 1997; this has been unequalled in F1 or pre 1950 history. And Newey was a big part of that too.

McLaren were very little slower than the Red Bull in 2011. Hope they, Ferrari and Mercedes can get closer, or any other team/car.

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

....... Then i'll hope 2013 is closer.

F1 teams fortunes rise and fall. Some just more than others (read Williams and, going back to the 80's, Lotus).

Red Bulls time will come and I think we are in for a real competitive season.
Great Quotes of the 20th Century

"You think I know f**k all.... I know f**k nothing" - Anonymous Maltese construction worker's response to being told he doesn't know how to do his job.

Jezick

Post by Jezick »

Things change!

Dietrich decides to divert 50mil to a new project and Newey feels slighted.

Newey decides , like Rory Byrne and his scuba diving, his passion lies elsewhere, at least for a while.

New rules.

Enough Red Bull guys leave for McLaren or Ferrari to redress the imbalance.

Pat on the back for them if they do it again, they found the magic formula... If not try, try, try again.

Hakkattack

Post by Hakkattack »

I think you will see HUGE changes when the sport goes to turbo engines and much more electric in the next few years... this year the rules barley changed so it made sense Red Bull would stay fast

Aduka

Post by Aduka »

Just saw the new car..... 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Holy smoke !!

Time for other teams to start developing 2013 cars...this season is Red Bull season.

Amon

Post by Amon »

Aduka wrote:Just saw the new car..... 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Holy smoke !!

Time for other teams to start developing 2013 cars...this season is Red Bull season.

Let's wait for Melbourne before we judge
F1 fan since 1989