Ricciardo v Ocon 2020

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Ruste13

Ricciardo v Ocon 2020

Post by Ruste13 »

Whats everyones thoughts on this?

Could be a great battle during the season.

Alienturnedhuman

Re: Ricciardo v Ocon 2020

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Given that Perez dealt with Ocon more easily than he did the Hulk, and Ocon has had a year out, I don't see Ocon giving Ricciardo much problem. If there was a chance that Ocon was a threat to Ricciardo then Bottas wouldn't still be in a Mercedes.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

I think the first half of the season will be a whitewashing in Ricciardo's favour but Ocon will start getting to grips with the car and team toward the end of the year. I think he might have a higher potential than Hulkenberg but I doubt that will allow him to get the better of Ricciardo very often.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:Given that Perez dealt with Ocon more easily than he did the Hulk, and Ocon has had a year out, I don't see Ocon giving Ricciardo much problem. If there was a chance that Ocon was a threat to Ricciardo then Bottas wouldn't still be in a Mercedes.
I'm not sure I agree with that. 2018 Ocon did at least as well alongside Perez as Hulk did. IIMO he was more impressive. I think he will start off getting beaten by Ricciardo but the gap will close through the season.

ALso worth baring in mind that drivers usually improve after their first season in a new team so I would expect Ricciardo to be better in 2020 than in 2019.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:Given that Perez dealt with Ocon more easily than he did the Hulk, and Ocon has had a year out, I don't see Ocon giving Ricciardo much problem. If there was a chance that Ocon was a threat to Ricciardo then Bottas wouldn't still be in a Mercedes.
I see people are still going by the myth that Perez beat Ocon easily.

To answer the question, I think Ricciardo will win next year as he’ll be comfortably better in the first half. The second half of the season could be interesting though when Ocon gets up to speed.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

I predict it will be quite similar to Ricciardo/Hulk. In terms of pace I view Ocon as essentially a carbon copy of Perez with better qualifying abilities; I think he might trouble Ricciardo in qualifying (the data says that quali is actually not RIC's biggest strength, despite his reputation) but overall I think easy teammate win for the Honey Badger.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 18 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

That's actually not true Ocon performed at similar level to the Hulk.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

I believe Ocon will get upto speed sooner than most predict. He already got a head start at the post-season test at Abu Dhabi. His lap times were not slow as to speak & racked a good amount of mileage under his belt. Ocon is a god qualifier but has speed as well when it comes to race pace. Wasn't it in 2017 when he & Perez were the most closely matched teammates when it came to averages of qualy & race pace?

Anyway, I'm excited to see what Ocon can do & am sure he'll shine sooner or later.
Feel The Fourth

oz_karter

Post by oz_karter »

I think Ricciardo will have Ocon's measure easily.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Time for Ricciardo's big and true audition for a Championship capable seat.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

I think it will be close. Ocon was improving and getting better. I think he has more potential as he was only 22 that time. So he was doing great job in FI. I do not think Renault is as bad as it looks but Ricciardo have had only few good races. Hulk was matching him most of the races this year
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

mikeyg123 wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with that. 2018 Ocon did at least as well alongside Perez as Hulk did. IMPO he was more impressive. I think he will start off getting beaten by Ricciardo but the gap will close through the season.

Also worth baring in mind that drivers usually improve after their first season in a new team so I would expect Ricciardo to be better in 2020 than in 2019.
So this!

I won't however predict who will shoot out of the gate outdoing whom. Ocon is a VERY underrated driver and he gave Perez quite a handful during their time together and whenever Ocon was looking faster and taking the fight to his teammate, it would either end in contact or close to it, as Perez would have none of it and would throw his elbows out and get dirty, while Ocon, outside of the one time I can recall perhaps, did all his fighting CLEAN. THAT for me speaks volumes about a driver.

If they keep it clean I wouldn't be surprised to see them matching one another pretty consistently, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ricciardo grew frustrated over it and resorted to pushing Ocon off wide or the like to establish his dominance, though I hope it doesn't go that way.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: LECLERC :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

mikeyg123 wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with that. 2018 Ocon did at least as well alongside Perez as Hulk did. IIMO he was more impressive. I think he will start off getting beaten by Ricciardo but the gap will close through the season.

ALso worth baring in mind that drivers usually improve after their first season in a new team so I would expect Ricciardo to be better in 2020 than in 2019.
Unless you are a Thai driver who is slower than a granny in a supermarket car park. :twisted:

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

It just seemed that Ocon was leaving Perez for dead in the qualifying battle during the last few months of their tenure together. Ocon definitely has speed. I think he's likely quicker than Hulk. I think it will be quite a battle once Ocon gets completely integrated in the team.