It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 5:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

What caused Ferrari's lack of pace in Austin?
Engine changed to comply with technical directive 59%  59%  [ 27 ]
Circuit does not suit their car 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
Had to avoid kerbs and bumps 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Trialing high downforce setting 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Sandbagging 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Leclerc ate too much of Binotto's birthday cake 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Other 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 46
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:01 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/2020/2020-03/mercedes-amg-petronas-f1-team-statement/?fbclid=IwAR00kP6o8zNallhzMU77hRWGcvWBs_XxmJadGJILTdO4pkY7LehnYmhu4Sk

Statement from the other teams.

Good on them. I' glad they're standing up to this.

Yes, nice and simple statement. I wonder what the FIA is going to do now

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:09 am 

Joe Saward live on Mixed Apex F1 now (youtube). Hopefully he will have an opinion and some more information on this subject.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:35 am 

Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/2020/2020-03/mercedes-amg-petronas-f1-team-statement/?fbclid=IwAR00kP6o8zNallhzMU77hRWGcvWBs_XxmJadGJILTdO4pkY7LehnYmhu4Sk

Statement from the other teams.

Good on them. I' glad they're standing up to this.

Yes, nice and simple statement. I wonder what the FIA is going to do now

Worth remembering that the FIA need these teams to sign up to the new concorde agreement so they might have a bit of leverage there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:28 pm 

I think these 3 points on the BBC News site sum it perfectly:

Does the lack of punitive action against Ferrari mean that the car was legal at all times in 2019?
If so, why not say so? Why the need for a "settlement", and what was that settlement?
What confidence can teams have in F1 if the FIA is not able to conclude a technical investigation without saying whether the car in question was legal or not?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:28 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Joe Saward live on Mixed Apex F1 now (youtube). Hopefully he will have an opinion and some more information on this subject.

Missed Apex?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:03 pm 

doesnt the fact that binotto has said the 2020 engine is not as strong as 2019 say it all. he might also say its due to better reliability but thats nonsense. if last years engine was legal, this years would not be worse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:08 pm 

Teams are right to be furious as (if it is illegal) they will have won races with it.

Monza comes to mind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:01 pm 

Caserole of Nonsense wrote:
doesnt the fact that binotto has said the 2020 engine is not as strong as 2019 say it all. he might also say its due to better reliability but thats nonsense. if last years engine was legal, this years would not be worse.

I am not sure I agree with this last statement. The Mercedes engine was legal last year and we are told that apparently they are having reliability issues so far in 2020. What is the co-relation?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:03 pm 

Clarky wrote:
Teams are right to be furious as (if it is illegal) they will have won races with it.

Monza comes to mind.

The problem is that the precedent is that they are allowed to keep wins; it has happened before and teams were allowed to keep the wins

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:00 pm 

Siao7 wrote:

I am not sure I agree with this last statement. The Mercedes engine was legal last year and we are told that apparently they are having reliability issues so far in 2020. What is the co-relation?

That's because Mercedes realised that they needed to play catch up, with Ferrari if you have an engine that was reported at times to be 30-50hp better than the opposition then why the need for a completely new engine design and that new engine is reportedly less powerful and less reliable.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Last edited by pokerman on Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:07 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Clarky wrote:

Monza comes to mind.

The problem is that the precedent is that they are allowed to keep wins; it has happened before and teams were allowed to keep the wins

Indeed but what about WCC points bearing in mind the prize money that comes with it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:26 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

That's because Mercedes realised that they needed to play catch up, with Ferrari if you have an engine that was reported at times to be 30-50hp better than the opposition then why the need for a completely new engine design and that new engine is reportedly less powerful and less reliable.

Well we just don't know this, do we?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:35 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Clarky wrote:

Monza comes to mind.

Indeed but what about WCC points bearing in mind the prize money that comes with it?

I am not sure frankly. Renault didn't have any points deducted with the mass damper business, nor BAR for the double fuel tank, nor Ferrari in '97 with one car disqualified. In a typical FIA fashion, when they find something illegal, they ban it. I do not remember ever changing points/results retrospectively (they have disqualified cars for a racing weekend like the BAR mentioned before, but they didn't cancel their results up to that point).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:40 pm 

Clarky wrote:
shoot999 wrote:

Missed Apex?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh0DXE ... gHA/videos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:53 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Clarky wrote:

Monza comes to mind.

I am not sure frankly. Renault didn't have any points deducted with the mass damper business, nor BAR for the double fuel tank, nor Ferrari in '97 with one car disqualified. In a typical FIA fashion, when they find something illegal, they ban it. I do not remember ever changing points/results retrospectively (they have disqualified cars for a racing weekend like the BAR mentioned before, but they didn't cancel their results up to that point).

I guess being harsh, at that point aside from the San Marino GP from which they were disqualified...BAR didn't have any points to remove at that stage!

I think you're right though - in the instances i the past where people or teams have been disqualified from a season (McLaren 2007, Michael Schumacher in '97) they were removed from the standings, but their points were not re-allocated...I don't think that can happen after the season end anyway...

Overall on the main topic though I think that the FIA needs to be really clear and transparent about whether the Ferrari engine was legal at all stages of last season or not...and if not then they need to take more firm actions TBH. I can understand why the other teams are annoyed about it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:56 pm 

The results can't be changed at this stage. I think people just want to know if the sport is being run with integrity or not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:58 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Well there seems to be plenty of smoke.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:08 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Clarky wrote:

Monza comes to mind.

The mass damper was fine for years until for some reason it was decided to ban it, similar to the FRIC suspension, don't remember much about the BAR incident apart from them getting disqualified, I don't remember any disqualifications for Ferrari, and in 1997 just the one car got disqualified because it was a driver penalty.

We have to ask what the teams are after if you think that no past penalty can be applied?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:11 pm 

oliver.drew wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Clarky wrote:

Monza comes to mind.

I guess being harsh, at that point aside from the San Marino GP from which they were disqualified...BAR didn't have any points to remove at that stage!

I think you're right though - in the instances i the past where people or teams have been disqualified from a season (McLaren 2007, Michael Schumacher in '97) they were removed from the standings, but their points were not re-allocated...I don't think that can happen after the season end anyway...

Overall on the main topic though I think that the FIA needs to be really clear and transparent about whether the Ferrari engine was legal at all stages of last season or not...and if not then they need to take more firm actions TBH. I can understand why the other teams are annoyed about it.

Their points were not reallocated, the teams and drivers below them merely moved up a place, in the case of WCC points we're talking about prize money.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:24 pm 

pokerman wrote:
oliver.drew wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Their points were not reallocated, the teams and drivers below them merely moved up a place, in the case of WCC points we're talking about prize money.

I think that in 1997 Ferrari still ended up second points, they included Schumacher's points, so the other teams did not move up a place. I get that it was due to a driver issue and not a legality one, but that's what happened from memory. BAR as pointed out had a crap season up to that point, made 0 points, so not really relevant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:29 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Clarky wrote:

Monza comes to mind.

The mass damper was fine for years until for some reason it was decided to ban it, similar to the FRIC suspension, don't remember much about the BAR incident apart from them getting disqualified, I don't remember any disqualifications for Ferrari, and in 1997 just the one car got disqualified because it was a driver penalty.

We have to ask what the teams are after if you think that no past penalty can be applied?

Well, isn't this similar then? The Ferrari engine had passed every FIA test and scrutinised since 2018 until now (and remember that we still haven't officially had a confirmation that they have cheated, although it seems pretty much like a technicality at this point!), so sounds quite similar to me the way you describe it here. Where are you going with this?

The teams may be after what mikeyg mentioned above, that the FIA are actually doing their job with some integrity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:30 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Well there seems to be plenty of smoke.

For sure, to use an old F1 phrase!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:38 pm 

Siao7 wrote:

i would take binotto saying its not as strong as to mean its not got as much power/torque. I may be wrong but is this the first time in the hybrid era where any manufacturers new engine is less powerful. that says it all to me if true. if they had reliability problems with last years engine, which wasnt too bad in that respect, they could have fixed that over the winter and at least run the same power this year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:46 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
shoot999 wrote:

Missed Apex?

Yeah I follow I was clarifying as he said mixed apex not missed!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:41 pm 

Clarky wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
shoot999 wrote:

Missed Apex?

Yeah I follow I was clarifying as he said mixed apex not missed!

Did anyone listen to the podcast and share what the conclusion was?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:34 pm 

I have started to listen to it but Joe is sitting on the fence so far.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:58 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
oliver.drew wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I think that in 1997 Ferrari still ended up second points, they included Schumacher's points, so the other teams did not move up a place. I get that it was due to a driver issue and not a legality one, but that's what happened from memory. BAR as pointed out had a crap season up to that point, made 0 points, so not really relevant.

I wasn't just replying to that though, in that case Ferrari kept their points because they had committed no offence.

I am hearing such things can't be changed 14 days after the season has finished anyway so the FIA taking months to come to any kind of decision has maybe taken that option from them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:45 am 

Several excellent points made in the comments at the end of this article on the BBC site. The most poignant to my mind was the one that referred to McLaren's £100 million fine. Not the same but also not that different!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51736247

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:42 pm 

FIA STATEMENT FOLLOWING COMMUNICATION FROM SEVEN FORMULA 1 TEAMS
https://www.fia.com/news/fia-statement-following-communication-seven-formula-1-teams

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:57 pm 

Uffman wrote:
https://www.fia.com/news/fia-statement-following-communication-seven-formula-1-teams

A rather firm and strong "pipe down" message to the 7 teams. Next move is theirs, though I presume they were fully aware of Article 4 of the JDR etc… before they raised their concerns.

I can't imagine this will satisfy anyone who was dissatisfied with the first statement.

Also a few issues:
- would another team be treated in the same way? Or was their "best interest" decision only because it was Ferrari?
- in the matter of technical infringements, is it fair to other competitors to dismiss prosecution as too difficult? Let parties present the facts and arguments, then the council/jury decide.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:05 pm 

Basically sounds like they found a smoking gun but can't prove it's been fired.

It does question having such ridiculously complex rules that it's to difficult for the sports governing body to prove they have been broken.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:12 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Basically sounds like they found a smoking gun but can't prove it's been fired.

It does question having such ridiculously complex rules that it's to difficult for the sports governing body to prove they have been broken.

I can't believe that a case based on probabilities can't be constructed though. The other teams had GPS traces etc... which they felt were conclusive enough to raise the topic.

With the wealth of data recorded by teams, if the FIA could obtain things such as:
- power modes/throttle mapping across given sessions
- set-up sheets (or modern equivalent!) confirming wing angles etc...
- PU torque output etc...

then you could identify correlations or anomalies. For example, did similar settings across different events produce distinctly different outputs suggesting a change in the PU? More pointedly, can Ferrari prove they increased wing angles for Austin and beyond thereby corroborating Binotto's excuse?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:15 pm 

Doesn’t this just mean the FIA can’t police there own rules?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:24 pm 

Uffman wrote:

Defensive, basically the FIA 'bottled it'.

It's not a court of Law for goodness sake. Its for the FIA as the authority to rule and for Ferrari as a competitor to comply. Frankly it pathetic to say its too complicated to investigate.

It just looks like the FIA are frightened to act or decide anything in case they upset the Ferrari organisation. I had little respect for the FIA before, even less now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:28 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Uffman wrote:

It's not a court of Law for goodness sake. Its for the FIA as the authority to rule and for Ferrari as a competitor to comply. Frankly it pathetic to say its too complicated to investigate.

It just looks like the FIA are frightened to act or decide anything in case they upset the Ferrari organisation. I had little respect for the FIA before, even less now.

Would you have more respect for them if they had ruled against them without being confident that they got it right?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:32 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Uffman wrote:

Would you have more respect for them if they had ruled against them without being confident that they got it right?

In that circumstance, if innocent, I would have faith that Ferrari could present the designs and data to prove it. The probability is that they haven't because it would be self-incriminating.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:40 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Uffman wrote:

They don't have to do either.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:42 pm 

The settlement paid by Ferrari in return for dropping the case is the elephant in the room. If they knew they weren't cheating then why agree to pay what is effectively a fine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:02 pm 

Pest44 wrote:
Doesn’t this just mean the FIA can’t police there own rules?

Looks like it, they simply don't have the expertise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:04 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Uffman wrote:

The point is the regulations belong to the FIA. Its for them to rule as the organising body and for Ferrari to prove they are compliant. Its for the FIA to rule what is right and what's wrong. Its for the FIA to rule what is legal and what's illegal.

They are treating Ferrari almost as equals. Ferrari are throwing up arguments to confuse the governing body. The result is that the people who make and apply the regulations are confused!

Its the tail wagging the dog!