The Official George Russell Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
DOLOMITE

The Official George Russell Thread

Post by DOLOMITE »

bit overdue but now we have one as it looks like he's here to stay.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Re: The Official George Russell Thread

Post by DOLOMITE »

So i have 2 questions for y'all

1) Most impressive thing about his race at Sakhir?
2) Will the "Russell Hussle" stick?

On no 1 for me. It was the 2nd pass on Bottas. That was massive. I know Bottas was on less-than-their-best tyres, but Russells pass was quick and commited. I nearly cried.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:56 am

On no 1 for me. It was the 2nd pass on Bottas. That was massive. I know Bottas was on less-than-their-best tyres, but Russells pass was quick and commited. I nearly cried.
Shoe on the other foot, I don't think Bottas makes that pass.

Fast as Bottas is, he isn't racey.

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

DOLOMITE wrote:

I just think Russell's overall weekend was sensational. Bottas was pretty poor generally and I think his head is a little scrambled right now, but still, Russell was just all round great.

As for your #2, Croft tried that "joke" a couple of times during the race so I guess he is trying to make it a thing. I hope it doesn't stick. Giggling idiot Croft is pretty much ruining F1 for me one race at a time, so others may be more receptive.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

I think Mercedes would love another opportunity to compare Russell and Bottas at Abu Dhabi on a totally clean weekend and with Russell potentially even more up to speed. Bottas can try and justify Sakhir as an off weekend, but if he was to be beaten at Abu Dhabi then things could really get uncomfortable for the Finn.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Russell displayed maturity, race management and speed throughout his drive. We really saw the full range of his driving. He lead well, maintained excellent pace and when the pitstop disaster occurred he didn't lose his head and performed a stunning overtake on his teammate. Again following the puncture he did several qualifying laps and got his first points!

As for the Russell Hustle, I hope it ends up in the dustbin of history alongside David Croft's commentary career.
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:19 pm
DOLOMITE wrote:
Russell displayed maturity, race management and speed throughout his drive. We really saw the full range of his driving. He lead well, maintained excellent pace and when the pitstop disaster occurred he didn't lose his head and performed a stunning overtake on his teammate. Again following the puncture he did several qualifying laps and got his first points!

As for the Russell Hustle, I hope it ends up in the dustbin of history alongside David Croft's commentary career.
Yeah and I think ultimately was what impressed. Good in qualifying, good start, enough race-lap speed to pull a gap, safety car re-starts, unplanned stops, overtakes for position(on teammate!) , limited time in the car, unfamiliar track etc etc and he soaked it all up. Obviously repeating that every race weekend a la Hamilton is another thing, but as (kind of) debuts go he couldn't do more.
-Stirling Moss

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

F1Tyrant wrote:
:thumbup:

Couldn't have said it better myself.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 20 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

scouseknight

Post by scouseknight »

Exediron wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:14 pm
F1Tyrant wrote:

Thirded - that was so irritating!
Forza Ferrari

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

scouseknight wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:18 pm
Exediron wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:14 pm
F1Tyrant wrote:

Thirded - that was so irritating!
And another. Was like a kid in the playground trying to get himself a cool nickname when no one was interested.
-Stirling Moss

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Hmm... can't seem to make Crofty and jumped-up-twerp rhyme.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Crofty should have been consigned to the commentary scrapheap when he declared Hamilton the winner of the British grand Prix... As he went down the old start/finish straight.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:46 am
I think Mercedes would love another opportunity to compare Russell and Bottas at Abu Dhabi on a totally clean weekend and with Russell potentially even more up to speed. Bottas can try and justify Sakhir as an off weekend, but if he was to be beaten at Abu Dhabi then things could really get uncomfortable for the Finn.
Bottas has seen his nemesis in Russell. Russell has ticked all the right boxes. I'll be happy to see Russell in Mercedes next year already. One more year at Williams will be so painful to see now after seeing him so upto speed!
Feel The Fourth

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

What kind of contract does Russell have with Mercedes, and when does it expire?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:30 pm
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:46 am
Bottas has seen his nemesis in Russell. Russell has ticked all the right boxes. I'll be happy to see Russell in Mercedes next year already. One more year at Williams will be so painful to see now after seeing him so upto speed!
As a Hamilton fan I obviously want to see him back out at Abu Dhabi but I can't lie that Bottas/Russell part 2 quite intrigues me.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 98 (1st)
Pole Positions: 100 (1st)
Podiums: 169 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:15 pm
What kind of contract does Russell have with Mercedes, and when does it expire?
Well obviously he has a contract with Williams for 2021, after that I would guess he might be favourite over Bottas for a seat at Mercedes for 2022 so I can't see anyone snatching him if that's what you're thinking, I'm guessing you're looking at Red Bull?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

If George gets another drive for Merc this weekend and performs as well, what do you think the chances of contracts being broken/renegotiated?

I like Bottas, but if Russell is indeed going to be a large part of Merc's future then why f##k about - just get him in there.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

UnlikeUday wrote:
I think the chances of Mercedes buying out Russell's Williams contract and Bottas Mercedes contract have dramatically increased. It's not a high chance but it's more likely now than ever after Sakhir. Williams is also under new management and would probably take the money and put another pay-driver with Latifi.
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:33 pm
UnlikeUday wrote:
I think the chances of Mercedes buying out Russell's Williams contract and Bottas Mercedes contract have dramatically increased. It's not a high chance but it's more likely now than ever after Sakhir. Williams is also under new management and would probably take the money and put another pay-driver with Latifi.
Would Williams not want Bottas as part of the deal though? They aren't going to progress or be successful in 2022 with two hapless pay drivers. Toto might offer a Bottas plus cash deal.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:40 pm
Would Williams not want Bottas as part of the deal though? They aren't going to progress or be successful in 2022 with two hapless pay drivers. Toto might offer a Bottas plus cash deal.
Bottas likely thinks he's better than the likes of Williams. I just don't see him consensually becoming a bargaining chip and moving to a backmarker. They'll have to pay off both contracts and let Williams approach Bottas afterwards.
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Biffa wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:31 pm
If George gets another drive for Merc this weekend and performs as well, what do you think the chances of contracts being broken/renegotiated?

I like Bottas, but if Russell is indeed going to be a large part of Merc's future then why f##k about - just get him in there.
Obviously such things would cost Mercedes financially and can they justify the money bearing in mind they are winning anyway and they are favourites to win again next year, Russell comes along much cheaper in 2022.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:33 pm
UnlikeUday wrote:
I think you're missing the loyalty that Wolff has towards his drivers, he's not going to leave Bottas without a seat at short notice.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:44 pm
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:40 pm
Bottas likely thinks he's better than the likes of Williams. I just don't see him consensually becoming a bargaining chip and moving to a backmarker. They'll have to pay off both contracts and let Williams approach Bottas afterwards.
I have to wonder why Mercedes would do all this, buy out Bottas' contract, buy out Russell's contract at Williams and pay Russell, granted that would be least concern money wise, and for what gain when they can sign Russell for 2022 free of charge.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:50 pm
I think you're missing the loyalty that Wolff has towards his drivers, he's not going to leave Bottas without a seat at short notice.
It depends if he wants to be more loyal to Russell or Bottas. Russell looks like a future champion in the way Bottas doesn't. I'm not sure which team would have a reciprocal attraction for both parties.
pokerman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:57 pm
I have to wonder why Mercedes would do all this, buy out Bottas' contract, buy out Russell's contract at Williams and pay Russell, granted that would be least concern money wise, and for what gain when they can sign Russell for 2022 free of charge.
Another year as understudy to Hamilton would be invaluable and would boost his confidence with wins, podiums and points.

As much as I'd like Hamilton to take Russell under his wing and impart his wisdom while they are teammates, Hamilton's priority will be to defeat Russell comprehensively to prove he's the best driver.
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:14 pm
pokerman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:50 pm
It depends if he wants to be more loyal to Russell or Bottas. Russell looks like a future champion in the way Bottas doesn't. I'm not sure which team would have a reciprocal attraction for both parties.
pokerman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:57 pm
Another year as understudy to Hamilton would be invaluable and would boost his confidence with wins, podiums and points.

As much as I'd like Hamilton to take Russell under his wing and impart his wisdom while they are teammates, Hamilton's priority will be to defeat Russell comprehensively to prove he's the best driver.
I'm not really talking about being more loyal to one driver or another, I mean actual disloyalty and to rip up Bottas' contract would be exactly that.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

schumilegend

Post by schumilegend »

Russel has already waited one year too long... Bottas has been underperforming for years now including having a year with ZERO wins driving the Merc!! If i were Redbull I would poach Russell right out of Totto's nose and create a mega driver lineup..The constructors atleast won't be a given next year with both drivers in Redbull capable of beating Bottas even in a superior car

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

pokerman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:47 pm
Obviously such things would cost Mercedes financially and can they justify the money bearing in mind they are winning anyway and they are favourites to win again next year, Russell comes along much cheaper in 2022.
There is one way they can justify the money, which is the somewhat nebulous concept of assigning value to goodwill.

“The goodwill of a business is the whole advantage of the reputation and connection with customers together with the circumstances, whether of habit or otherwise, which tend to make that connection permanent."

Right now, much of the F1 public despises Mercedes and wants to see them gone. But if they replace Bottas with Russell, suddenly everyone is excited by Mercedes and many people will want to watch them win.

It's difficult to put a number to that kind of public support, but I suspect it might easily be higher than Bottas contract plus Russell's contract. Heck, they might sell enough Russell merchandise over the winter break to cover Bottas' break clause.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (6 wins, 20 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

The one way to guarantee complete loss of goodwill while also saving $45m would be to sign Russell instead of Hamilton...

Stranger things have happened :nod:

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

schumilegend wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:53 pm
Russel has already waited one year too long... Bottas has been underperforming for years now including having a year with ZERO wins driving the Merc!! If i were Redbull I would poach Russell right out of Totto's nose and create a mega driver lineup..The constructors atleast won't be a given next year with both drivers in Redbull capable of beating Bottas even in a superior car
There's a rumour that Red Bull might try and poach Russell although that might just be the likes of Horner being a bit mischievous.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

JN23

Post by JN23 »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:25 pm
schumilegend wrote:
There's a rumour that Red Bull might try and poach Russell although that might just be the likes of Horner being a bit mischievous.
Yeah, I imagine it's a case of Red Bull being Red Bull and just trying to sh*t stir a bit to try and unsettle Mercedes.

Although it kinda makes sense for them - perhaps it forces Merc to put Russell in and that upsets the team dynamic and that frees Bottas to go there and support Verstappen. This is just speculation on my part. I don't see any of it happening.
Last edited by JN23 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Exediron wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:28 pm
pokerman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:47 pm
There is one way they can justify the money, which is the somewhat nebulous concept of assigning value to goodwill.

“The goodwill of a business is the whole advantage of the reputation and connection with customers together with the circumstances, whether of habit or otherwise, which tend to make that connection permanent."

Right now, much of the F1 public despises Mercedes and wants to see them gone. But if they replace Bottas with Russell, suddenly everyone is excited by Mercedes and many people will want to watch them win.

It's difficult to put a number to that kind of public support, but I suspect it might easily be higher than Bottas contract plus Russell's contract. Heck, they might sell enough Russell merchandise over the winter break to cover Bottas' break clause.
Apparently that's what happened last weekend, people that normally want Mercedes to lose wanted them to win in particular Russell.

Also there was a lot of negativity towards Hamilton across the internet as soon as Russell started posting faster laps than Bottas, some on here but not that much.

However I suspect the positivity Mercedes would win for signing Russell would be short lived if Russell is not able to beat Hamilton.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Battle Far wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:44 pm
The one way to guarantee complete loss of goodwill while also saving $45m would be to sign Russell instead of Hamilton...

Stranger things have happened :nod:
Get rid of Hamilton and most people would be happy, that's really nice.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

JN23 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:34 pm
pokerman wrote:
schumilegend wrote:
Yeah, I imagine it's a case of Red Bull being Red Bull and just trying to sh*t stir a bit to try and unsettle Mercedes.

Although it kinda makes sense for them - perhaps it forces Merc to put Russell in and that upsets the team dynamic and that frees Bottas to go there and support Ricciardo. This is just speculation on my part. I don't see any of it happening.
I guess you mean Verstappen, not Ricciardo?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

JN23

Post by JN23 »

pokerman wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:47 pm
JN23 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:34 pm
pokerman wrote:
schumilegend wrote:

Although it kinda makes sense for them - perhaps it forces Merc to put Russell in and that upsets the team dynamic and that frees Bottas to go there and support Ricciardo. This is just speculation on my part. I don't see any of it happening.
I guess you mean Verstappen, not Ricciardo?
I do, no idea why I wrote Ricciardo!

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Not George's finest hour this weekend, but at least he has accepted he was at fault (for accusing Bottas, the incident was a racing one):

An Instagram Post from

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN2vMSKlPNi ... pe3m9k2zad

Also, the idea that there is a rift with Hamilton can be put to bed:

An Instagram Post from

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Yeah, messed up, 'fessed up, time to move on. I think the helmet-slap was actually the bigger transgression, especially as Bottas was clearly still a little winded at that point. The real shame is George was having a great race up till then and this has overshadowed that.
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Notwithstanding Russell's poor behaviour in the immediate aftermath of the crash, the most salient comment on the race thread was about Bottas

How could any driver allow himself to be in the position to be taken out by a Williams overtaking a Mercedes...

Russell's speed is undeniable, swap cars and the closest that Bottas would be to Russell would be in the driver parade before the race

tim3003

Post by tim3003 »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:47 am
Yeah, messed up, 'fessed up, time to move on. I think the helmet-slap was actually the bigger transgression, especially as Bottas was clearly still a little winded at that point. The real shame is George was having a great race up till then and this has overshadowed that.
Apparently Bottas gave Russell the finger and this triggered the slap. ..Memories of Schumacher storming into the Mclaren pit after Coulthard took him off at a wet Spa one year. Even the best lose their cool when they've faced real life-threatening danger.

Glad to see Russell has admitted blame and apologised. Hopefully his obvious talent can overcome his impetuosity and mistakes in recent races. Verstappen learned to cool down, Russell must too..
P-F1 Team Pick Game: 2019 Champion; 2020 Runner-up.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

tim3003 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:26 am
DOLOMITE wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:47 am
Apparently Bottas gave Russell the finger and this triggered the slap. ..Memories of Schumacher storming into the Mclaren pit after Coulthard took him off at a wet Spa one year. Even the best lose their cool when they've faced real life-threatening danger.

Glad to see Russell has admitted blame and apologised. Hopefully his obvious talent can overcome his impetuosity and mistakes in recent races. Verstappen learned to cool down, Russell must too..
yeah we saw that during the race, it looks like Russel was ranting at Bottas, Bottas probably still trying to get his breath back, flips the finger, Russel gives the slap. As has been said, a lesson for George. You don't wander over to a car you've just crashed with unless it's to see if the other driver is OK. Especially with hindsight and the benefit of watching a replay, you may reconsider who is to blame, or at least by how much.

Should have just got out, got safe and had the "conversation" later. Still, it's all done now and Bottas doesn't seem like the type to drag it out so time to move on.
-Stirling Moss

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

You recognise the mistake, you apologise and then move on, Russell hardly touched Bottas' helmet so that's a bit of a storm in a teacup.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition